Should we address James Marsters’ sketchy behavior?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Should we address James Marsters’ sketchy behavior?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:43 am

With the spotlight shining on Vic Mignogna and, to a lesser extent, Todd Haberkorn, I thought it should be acknowledged that there is another Dragon Ball actor who has displayed some questionable behavior, that being James Marsters. For one, he supposedly started seeing his current wife while she was still a high school student. Apart from that, there’s this (https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/ok-we-hav ... achtenberg).

I posted about this on the Vic Mignogna thread, but I thought I might as well make a separate thread about it. I hope that’s okay.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should we address James Marsters’ sketchy behavior?

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm

What I gathered from the article is that the author is somewhat overreacting to a song with a bit on the nose lyrics written about an underage girl. Is it creepy? A little, but not as much as he's making it out to be. If the song is all we have to go off of, then it barely has a leg to stand on.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:48 pm

gokaiblue wrote:What I gathered from the article is that the author is somewhat overreacting to a song with a bit on the nose lyrics written about an underage girl. Is it creepy? A little, but not as much as he's making it out to be. If the song is all we have to go off of, then it barely has a leg to stand on.
As I said, it’s not just the song. It’s also the fact that his wife was still going to high school when he started seeing her.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:What I gathered from the article is that the author is somewhat overreacting to a song with a bit on the nose lyrics written about an underage girl. Is it creepy? A little, but not as much as he's making it out to be. If the song is all we have to go off of, then it barely has a leg to stand on.
As I said, it’s not just the song. It’s also the fact that his wife was still going to high school when he started seeing her.
Well, was ut consensual? If so, I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. If he started seeing her when she was 14 or 15, then it would be odd and creepy, but all you've provided was "still in highschool," which could range from 14 to 18.

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:53 pm

In regards to his wife, didn't you mention in the other thread that she was 18 at the time? In which case, they're two consenting adults who are now married, with no signs of any abuse or anything like that... So, in terms of his situation with his current wife, unless there's some abuse, harassment, or anything else nasty going on behind closed doors, I'm not seeing anything wrong there...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote:In regards to his wife, didn't you mention in the other thread that she was 18 at the time? In which case, they're two consenting adults who are now married, with no signs of any abuse or anything like that... So, in terms of his situation with his current wife, unless there's some abuse, harassment, or anything else nasty going on behind closed doors, I'm not seeing anything wrong there...
I’m actually not even sure if she was 18. All that’s really known is that she was still in high school, and Marsters went to her high school graduation. In any case, a person in his or her 40s dating an 18 year old is creepy, and the fact that he wrote a love song about a 17 year old is even creepier.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Yeah maybe writing song lyrics isn't his forte.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm

It might be reqching to put James Marsters in the same class as Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn. Yes, it is slightly creepy for a man in hs 40s to date an 18 year old, but as long as it was consensual, it's not really "assault."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I think there need to be more information because if he was flirting and what not with someone who is under 18, that's a little..even if she was ok with it. The song, I'm not sure? Was it a joke song or was he being serious? As far as, the age difference now or even waiting till she was 18 (and a reason why I hate 18 being the "legal age" of adulthood) I still think that's too young but yea, I wouldn't really label him as being like Vic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Found this in the article comment section
Perhaps you should check the rest of the lyrics to "Young Girl". It's basically the story of a guy who just found out the girl he was interested in is way younger than he thought and now any relationship is both inappropriate and out of the question.
Still a weird song, but not as bad as you'd be lead to believe just reading the article.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Isn't the age of consent 16 in some states (I'm not sure if it is in her home state but that may be the case), if the age of consent is 16 in her state and she was of legal age according to state law at the time the relationship started, as long as her parents were okay with the relationship, then I don't see any problem from a legal perspective, is it strange, yes but depending on the circumstances it might not be illegal.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Hm, another 'controversy' around a song. Where have I seen that before.

Some cases are actually valid and worth discussing whereas others are just reaching for a reaction where there isn't one.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:46 pm

gokaiblue wrote:It might be reqching to put James Marsters in the same class as Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn. Yes, it is slightly creepy for a man in hs 40s to date an 18 year old, but as long as it was consensual, it's not really "assault."
What would you say if it was a 40 year old woman dating an 18 year old guy? People tend to have a double standard when it comes to older/younger ages and genres.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:53 pm

superrayman3 wrote:Isn't the age of consent 16 in some states (I'm not sure if it is in her home state but that may be the case), if the age of consent is 16 in her state and she was of legal age according to state law at the time the relationship started, as long as her parents were okay with the relationship, then I don't see any problem from a legal perspective, is it strange, yes but depending on the circumstances it might not be illegal.
I think the song was about Michelle Trachtenberg, the show was shot in California, and the age of consent is 18. I don't know when he wrote the song, but Michelle was still 17 when Buffy ended in 2003.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:32 pm

WittyUsername wrote:With the spotlight shining on Vic Mignogna and, to a lesser extent, Todd Haberkorn, I thought it should be acknowledged that there is another Dragon Ball actor who has displayed some questionable behavior, that being James Marsters. For one, he supposedly started seeing his current wife while she was still a high school student. Apart from that, there’s this (https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/ok-we-hav ... achtenberg).

I posted about this on the Vic Mignogna thread, but I thought I might as well make a separate thread about it. I hope that’s okay.
Since when did this forum become a place to discuss sexual assault? This is a Dragonball Forum, and this has nothing to do with Dragonball.
VegettoEX is a snowflake

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 pm

GreatJaiyaman wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:With the spotlight shining on Vic Mignogna and, to a lesser extent, Todd Haberkorn, I thought it should be acknowledged that there is another Dragon Ball actor who has displayed some questionable behavior, that being James Marsters. For one, he supposedly started seeing his current wife while she was still a high school student. Apart from that, there’s this (https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/ok-we-hav ... achtenberg).

Since when did this forum become a place to discuss sexual assault? This is a Dragonball Forum, and this has nothing to do with Dragonball.
James Marsters is an actor who’s prominently associated with Dragon Ball. Not only did he play Piccolo in the live action movie, but he’s also the voice of Zamasu. I wouldn’t have made this thread otherwise, but since there was already a thread about Vic Mignogna, I assumed this was worth bringing up.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:56 am

Can we please just make one thread about all these scandals and keep it there? Its filling Kanzenshuu with negativity and stuff like that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Every other week some one brings up sexual misconduct with in dragon ball and now this. Sure let's let's go through every voice actor in dragon ball and dig up past scandals they've been involved in. Heck why stop with the American cast I'm sure the Japanese one isn't so squeaky clean either.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Every other week some one brings up sexual misconduct with in dragon ball and now this. Sure let's let's go through every voice actor in dragon ball and dig up past scandals they've been involved in. Heck why stop with the American cast I'm sure the Japanese one isn't so squeaky clean either.
My problem is, this doesn't even count as a scandal. At worst, it's something Marsters did that's a little odd. Dude didn't even DO anything, except start a consensual relationship with a legal adult less than half his age, and write a parody love song for a 17 year old; one saying "OMG; the girl I was into was way younger than I thought she was, and now I can't start a relationship".

He has never hurt anyone; not once. Not at any time we know of, anyway.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:Every other week some one brings up sexual misconduct with in dragon ball and now this. Sure let's let's go through every voice actor in dragon ball and dig up past scandals they've been involved in. Heck why stop with the American cast I'm sure the Japanese one isn't so squeaky clean either.
My problem is, this doesn't even count as a scandal. At worst, it's something Marsters did that's a little odd. Dude didn't even DO anything, except start a consensual relationship with a legal adult less than half his age, and write a parody love song for a 17 year old; one saying "OMG; the girl I was into was way younger than I thought she was, and now I can't start a relationship".

He has never hurt anyone; not once. Not at any time we know of, anyway.
I just figured that it should be put out there that Mignogna and Haberkorn aren’t the only actors associated with FUNimation who have sketchy pasts. Marsters obviously hasn’t been accused of raping anyone, but in the post MeToo era, anyone who’s ever done anything questionable in the past is bound to have that light shining on them.

If it means anything, I do think it’s odd that Marsters has attracted more controversy within the last week than someone like Jerry Seinfeld.