Do you still care about the end of Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you still care about the end of Z?

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Goten_jr wrote:Are they actually some contradictions between EoZ&DBS?
The "we saw each other 5 years ago" thing is quite impossible, but that's about it

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Goten_jr wrote:Are they actually some contradictions between EoZ&DBS?
I would argue there is a huge one. The end of Z is about Goku looking forward to the future because Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being he ever faced. In Super, we see numerous beings that are WAY stronger than Buu ever was, thus robbing DBZ's ending of its meaning.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm

ABED wrote: I would argue there is a huge one. The end of Z is about Goku looking forward to the future because Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being he ever faced. In Super, we see numerous beings that are WAY stronger than Buu ever was, thus robbing DBZ's ending of its meaning.
Don't know about the anime, but that part was never mentioned in the manga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:24 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
ABED wrote: I would argue there is a huge one. The end of Z is about Goku looking forward to the future because Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being he ever faced. In Super, we see numerous beings that are WAY stronger than Buu ever was, thus robbing DBZ's ending of its meaning.
It's implicit. Why do you think he asked for Uub to be reincarnated?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:29 pm

ABED wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
It's implicit. Why do you think he asked for Uub to be reincarnated?
He asked for Buu to be reincarnated during his destruction. That happened before anything in Super. Buu was the strongest opponent they've faced during the conception of the end of Z, but it's not implied in a way that could be considered a contradiction

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 pm

I've never been a fan of it, so I'd be fine with them getting rid of it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:37 pm

He asked for Buu to be reincarnated during his destruction. That happened before anything in Super. Buu was the strongest opponent they've faced during the conception of the end of Z, but it's not implied in a way that could be considered a contradiction
Not a literal contradiction but it does rob the ending of its meaning. If he's met and faced beings far stronger than Buu, then what about Uub could he find that interesting?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Unless they do some massive forced recall of the manga, then the original story's ending isn't going anywhere. Both versions of Super have already contradicted things from it, so it's not like they can be in the same continuity anyway. Each version of Super is just a branching reality all its own that affects nothing in the original core story.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Goe wrote:I don’t want more retcons of the classic DB from 1984-1995. Specially because I love the end of Z with all Goku’s friends alives, Goku as happy as he hadn’t been in his life, Pan like the most talented member of Goku’s family in Goku’s words and defeating Mokkeko...and I found really funny when Vegeta punched Knock.
You can just ignore it and stick with Classic Dragon Ball world rather than be bothered by the changes made through Modern Dragon Ball
I can ignore Modern Dragon Ball and stick with classic Dragon Ball. However, if they continue to release modern Dragon Ball stories, I prefer that I like them that I don't like them. And I know I hardly enjoy retcons of Classic DB stories since I absolutely love the classic manga.

I think classic Dragon Ball World (from 1984-1995 manga) has a lot of potential. Examples of cool things I think they could release:

1) Story about Mutenroshi's life before merting Goku: training with Mutaito, his relationship with Tsuru Sennin and Tao Pai Pai, when he went to Karin Tower, Battle against Piccolo, training of Gyuma and Grandpa Gohan, tournaments in that days, etc.
2) Story about namekians. When a natural disaster destroyed the planet and sent Kattatsu's son to earth, he could live some adventures when he met people who created a bit of evil in his heart. How he met the previous god and how that god decided to train him and turn him in his sucesor.
3) Another story about namekians. Nail was a great warrior but sadly we saw only his battle against Freezer. A story about him saving Namek of some invaders previous to Freezer saga would be nice.
4) Story about the fight of Kaiohshins against Bibidi and Boo.
5) Development of Pan as a person and as a warrior. In that story we would also see Oob, Goten and Trunks development as the new generation.

I think that stories would be more interesting that retcons.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:49 pm

ABED wrote:
Not a literal contradiction but it does rob the ending of its meaning. If he's met and faced beings far stronger than Buu, then what about Uub could he find that interesting?
A challenge is still a challenge, not that he knew Uub's potential before hand, he asked for a wish and he got it. Also the way it was presented, possibly a new guardian of earth in the making (in case Goku can't be there, something he tried doing with Gohan). Everyone during Super was otherworldly and unrelated to earth, while Uub's an earthling with potential probably unmatched by any other.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:51 pm

I do wish the continuation had been a continuation and not an inbetequal. As for your suggestions, I have no interest in any prequel series.
A challenge is still a challenge, not that he knew Uub's potential before hand, he asked for a wish and he got it. Also the way it was presented, possibly a new guardian of earth in the making (in case Goku can't be there, something he tried doing with Gohan). Everyone during Super was otherworldly and unrelated to earth, while Uub's an earthling with potential probably unmatched by any other.
Uub wouldn't be a challenge. Uub's potential is the result of his being reincarnated from Buu, but Goku surpasses him when he goes Super Saiyan God.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm

ABED wrote: Uub wouldn't be a challenge. Uub's potential is the result of his being reincarnated from Buu and Goku surpasses him when he goes Super Saiyan God.
And? Did he transform during the tournament? His decision to keep it grounded made it a challenge (not that it really was to begin with). He didn't go SS, SS2 or SS3 against Uub either. He fought him because he was interested, in him and his potential (which the extent of regardless of Super events is unclear)
Last edited by mute_proxy on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm

I don't think anything in super has happened that would require EoZ to be changed.

1. The 5 years line can just be changed to "it's been a while"

2. Goku is interested in Oob cause of his natural talent and where he CAN go not where he is at. I mean its not like Freeza was born > RoF SSB Goku or Broly was born > Beerus. If Toriyama gives him Pure Boo's latent power than Oob can be the most broken character in the franchise

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:02 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
ABED wrote: Uub wouldn't be a challenge. Uub's potential is the result of his being reincarnated from Buu and Goku surpasses him when he goes Super Saiyan God.
And? Did he transform during the tournament? His decision to keep it grounded made it a challenge. He didn't go SS, SS2 or SS3 against Uub either.
I'm not talking about their fight at the tournament. Goku asks for him to be reincarnated and he leaves the tournament excited because there are still more mountains to climb. Goku's motivation has always been to get stronger and if Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being he's ever fought, what the ending represents for him is the possibility of greater heights. How excited can he possibly be if he's far surpassed those heights years prior?
Goku is interested in Oob cause of his natural talent and where he CAN go not where he is at.
But where he can go is predicated on what he was - Buu! Pure Buu didn't have latent power. That was just his power.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm

ABED wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
And? Did he transform during the tournament? His decision to keep it grounded made it a challenge. He didn't go SS, SS2 or SS3 against Uub either.
I'm not talking about their fight at the tournament. Goku asks for him to be reincarnated and he leaves the tournament excited because there are still more mountains to climb. Goku's motivation has always been to get stronger and if Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being he's ever fought, what the ending represents for him is the possibility of greater heights. How excited can he possibly be if he's far surpassed those heights years prior?
Goku is interested in Oob cause of his natural talent and where he CAN go not where he is at.
But where he can go is predicated on what he was - Buu! Pure Buu didn't have latent power. That was just his power.
Says who? In DBS Fat Boo trained for an hour and got ridiculously stronger, that's basically Freeza's shtick. Born with high PL = getting stronger crazy fast and and crazy high rates.

Nobody said Pure Boo was tapped out , he was naturally that strong

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:16 pm

ABED wrote:I'm not talking about their fight at the tournament. Goku asks for him to be reincarnated and he leaves the tournament excited because there are still more mountains to climb. Goku's motivation has always been to get stronger and if Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being he's ever fought, what the ending represents for him is the possibility of greater heights. How excited can he possibly be if he's far surpassed those heights years prior?
As I said before, it's never stated that he's the strongest opponent he's faced. And he's motivated to train Uub to great heights (not just himself, and then eventually fight him ofcourse). The extent of Uub's potential is unknown, even though he's a reincarnation, he's still his own person, so limiting him with Super's standards is not right. Also he does explicitly say "you'll have to take over as earth's guardian pretty soon", so apparently Goku does have a bigger vision than just pleasing his personal needs.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Still not helping your point. If any of those characters can get stronger in such an incredibly short amount of time, why would Buu's reincarnation excite him?

It doesn't need to be stated because we saw that Buu was the strongest Goku had ever fought. Why ask for Buu to be reincarnated if not for him being the strongest Goku had ever fought? What other logical inference is there?

As for the whole Earth's guardian thing, that's so irrelevant since Goku never saw himself as that. It's such a side issue.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:23 pm

ABED wrote:Still not helping your point. If any of those characters can get stronger in such an incredibly short amount of time, why would Buu's reincarnation excite him?
Because he's an earthling with potential unknown, a reincarnation of an enemy they couldn't beat without a universal genkidama.
It doesn't need to be stated. Why ask for Buu to be reincarnated if not for him being the strongest Goku had ever fought?
He asked for his reincarnation during the moment he was finishing Buu. At the moment of the request Buu was the stongest Goku has fought.
As for the whole Earth's guardian thing, that's so irrelevant since Goku never saw himself as that. It's such a side issue.
That's just your opinion really. And if he says "you'll have to take over", then he probably did see himself that way in a way.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:29 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
ABED wrote:Still not helping your point. If any of those characters can get stronger in such an incredibly short amount of time, why would Buu's reincarnation excite him?
Because he's an earthling with potential unknown, a reincarnation of an enemy they couldn't beat without a universal genkidama.
It doesn't need to be stated. Why ask for Buu to be reincarnated if not for him being the strongest Goku had ever fought?
He asked for his reincarnation during the moment he was finishing Buu. At the moment of the request Buu was the stongest Goku has fought.
That's just your opinion really. And if he says "you'll have to take over", then he probably did see himself that way in a way.
Goku far surpassed that very same enemy in a few short years when he attained God ki. Throughout Super, he meets beings FAR superior to Buu's strongest form.

Um, you just restated what I wrote. Not sure what your point is. Yes, at that moment, Goku fought his strongest opponent ever. When he leaves with Uub, he's excited because he's going to train the reincarnation of the strongest being he ever faced. That's the point. The ending of him leaving excited only works if Uub represents greater heights to be reached.

It's not my opinion. Goku isn't Earth's protector. He's not a superhero. He often puts the world at risk for the sake of a fight.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
Goten_jr wrote:Would you mind a EOZ retcon? or Should they finally go past the EOZ?
Would I mind a EOZ retcon? Well it depends on how it's handled. I personally don't give a toot about the Manga versions myself, so if the retcon was exclusive, then I wouldn't mind, as I personally don't follow the manga.
If it was a Toei anime retcon, again it depends how it was handled. I'm okay with retconning GT, because I personally view it as a joke and can't take it seriously at all, therefore I would not care. The Z anime on the other hand, I would personally prefer that they attempt to not retcon any of it, but that's just my personal opinion of it all.
Isn‘t GT considered to be a Alternate Continuation?This wouldn’t even be a "GT retcon" because it’s not part of the main Story