Do you still care about the end of Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Do you still care about the end of Z?

Post by Goten_jr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Would you mind a EOZ retcon? or Should they finally go past the EOZ?

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you still care about the end of Z?

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:52 pm

I would be pretty annoyed if the EoZ got retconned. However brief it is, it’s a part of the original run. So to dispute it would be sacrilege, in my opinion.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Goten_jr wrote:Would you mind a EOZ retcon? or Should they finally go past the EOZ?
Would I mind a EOZ retcon? Well it depends on how it's handled. I personally don't give a toot about the Manga versions myself, so if the retcon was exclusive, then I wouldn't mind, as I personally don't follow the manga.
If it was a Toei anime retcon, again it depends how it was handled. I'm okay with retconning GT, because I personally view it as a joke and can't take it seriously at all, therefore I would not care. The Z anime on the other hand, I would personally prefer that they attempt to not retcon any of it, but that's just my personal opinion of it all.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:10 pm

I personally hate retcons but I wouldn't mind EoZ being retconned because of the stuff that happened on BoG/RoF/Super/Broly.

I even think it gives Toriyama a chance to fix or change things he isn't fond of.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:20 pm

I don't mind anything so long as it is done well.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Yeah, I think it should still be acknowledged. It's a part of the original story, so I'd hate to see them remove it from continuity.

That being said, I think they should go beyond the end of the original story now. They're gonna run out of the time-skip space eventually.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:30 pm

I don't have any problem with it being retconned, and would likely fully support it.

Canon and continuity are up to the original author in my opinion, so if what AT envisions happening no longer matches the original serialization, his new vision is all I'm interested in.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Of course canon is up to the author.

I'm not inherently against retcons, but the more of them in a story, the worse it is for the story's quality. I'm looking for an analogy that illustrates this issue.

I've never been a big fan of Z's ending to begin with, but I do wish the story had taken place AFTER Z.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:52 pm

They've already rewritten Bardock's story so I'd not be surprised if they also do the same to EoZ.

Videl doesn't even look the same as she did before.

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm

I don’t want more retcons of the classic DB from 1984-1995. Specially because I love the end of Z with all Goku’s friends alives, Goku as happy as he hadn’t been in his life, Pan like the most talented member of Goku’s family in Goku’s words and defeating Mokkeko...and I found really funny when Vegeta punched Knock.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Goe wrote:I don’t want more retcons of the classic DB from 1984-1995. Specially because I love the end of Z with all Goku’s friends alives, Goku as happy as he hadn’t been in his life, Pan like the most talented member of Goku’s family in Goku’s words and defeating Mokkeko...and I found really funny when Vegeta punched Knock.
You can just ignore it and stick with Classic Dragon Ball world rather than be bothered by the changes made through Modern Dragon Ball.

The Cell arc is apparently not very well liked in Japan so Toriyama could get rid of it entirely by calling it "It was just a long, long nightmare the Z Warriors took place in." That's ridiculous but don't forget what has happened to Bardock's story.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Leave End of Z as it is, for better or worse it shuts the series off without a need to continue.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of the end of Z, but I'd take that over the ending of GT any day of the week.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Personally I hope that they will go beyond the End of Z eventually. Sadly knowing what happens at the End of Z pretty much removes the tension from any story arc, except for the Future Trunks arc as it happened in an entirely different timeline (so I genuinely didn't know if Zamasu was going to lose). For example, I feel like if the Tournament of Power arc had happened after the End of Z, it would have been much more unique, as it wouldn't have been obvious that Universe 7, even if it lost, would ultimately be restored.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Of course. It's how the original, actual, Dragon Ball story in general, and the Boo arc in particular, actually ends (let nobody who tells you "I never watched/read the epilogue" also tell you that they completed the Boo arc).

This midquel can re-contextualize the ending however it wants, but it will always be how the original, actual, Dragon Ball story ended.
SupremeKai25 wrote:For example, I feel like if the Tournament of Power arc had happened after the End of Z, it would have been much more unique, as it wouldn't have been obvious that Universe 7, even if it lost, would ultimately be restored.
In this kind of story? With this kind of author? In this kind of genre? With this kind of demographic?

It would have been incredibly obvious.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 pm

I'd be interested to see them redo it with 2019 fashions (as many of characters' EoZ outfits and hairstyles are intensely 1995. Looking at you Bulma, Krillin, Yamcha, Videl, Goten, and partly Gohan). I count Trunks too in that, but there's no way they'd ever change his bowl cut. At most maybe they'd give him Future Trunks' dbs hair.

EoZ itself I used to have much more interest in, but that's dwindled a lot over the years. They could keep it or change it I don't care much either way.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm

I never liked the end of Z and each episode of Super makes it seem more and more impossible to fit into the timeline. I hope they retcon it.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:55 pm

For me personally retconing the end of Z would negate Super from being a legit sequel to the original and not a completely separate entity.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:57 pm

I care way more about the manga's finalé than I do Dragon Ball Super. Nothing's going to supplant the original material. If Super does end up retconning the end of the manga, then Super's just a non-canon AU as far as I'm concerned.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Are they actually some contradictions between EoZ&DBS?