"GT is a grand side story of the original DB"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

"GT is a grand side story of the original DB"

Post by Goten_jr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ama-intro/
Does Toriyama mean that GT is a Story that happened just alongside the Main Story? like the Movies&Filler or a Side Story that happened in Universe? like the Trunks TV Special?

Oniman
Banned

Re: "GT is a grand side story of the original DB"

Post by Oniman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Probably its own story that is not apart of the main timeline. Like a side quest in a video game.
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:00 pm

It means the original manga from Pilaf to Buu is the main storyline and Toriyama's artistic vision and GT is a separate storyline exclusive to TOEI that branches off (hence side story) from that story and goes its own way.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Goten_jr wrote:http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ama-intro/
Does Toriyama mean that GT is a Story that happened just alongside the Main Story? like the Movies&Filler or a Side Story that happened in Universe? like the Trunks TV Special?
I think this stems from a topic discussed recently on the podcast, which is that the Japanese language doesn't have a natural equivalent to the word non-canon like English does, so phrases like "grand side-story" and "alternate dimension" are ways to try and express that concept. I think what he's trying to say there is that GT isn't his thing and he doesn't personally consider it part of his manga storyline, but it IS still an official continuation of the story.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:51 pm

GT could easily just be officially stated another timeline.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 am

My in-universe explanation for GT and the movies is basically “alternate dimension, different space-time continuum, or different universe”. Xenoverse/Time Patroller Trunks and the post Boo story arcs inspired me to see it that way. And Time Patroller Trunks is in my head-canon. Lol. Much easier to understand it that way than to constantly nitpick what is and isn’t canon and bla bla bla.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Simply put, GT is it's own animal that branches off from the story of the manga that was left off with Z episode 291 as Toei wanted to keep going and not just stop where Toriyama did when he concluded the manga less than a year before because they wanted to milk the series for as long as possible.

I would put it in the same boat as the old DB/DBZ movies, as those involve scenarios that happen pretty much out of the main sequence of the anime which is already different from events of the manga to begin with
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Simply put, GT is it's own animal that branches off from the story of the manga that was left off with Z episode 291 as Toei wanted to keep going and not just stop where Toriyama did when he concluded the manga less than a year before because they wanted to milk the series for as long as possible.
No GT branches off from the DBZ Anime, not the Dragon Ball Manga. It was handles by Toei animation unlike the manga.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 am

ZodaEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Simply put, GT is it's own animal that branches off from the story of the manga that was left off with Z episode 291 as Toei wanted to keep going and not just stop where Toriyama did when he concluded the manga less than a year before because they wanted to milk the series for as long as possible.
No GT branches off from the DBZ Anime, not the Dragon Ball Manga. It was handles by Toei animation unlike the manga.
That aside there's also that a big plotline has the Tsufruians as a central backstory focal point, and they were only mentioned in the Z anime. That alone makes it rather incompatible with the manga because that's never mentioned.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Whoops, i must have gotten my wording mixed up. I had meant to say that it diverges from the Z anime which ends with episode 291 that covers the final chapter of the manga.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:35 am

KBABZ wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: That aside there's also that a big plotline has the Tsufruians as a central backstory focal point, and they were only mentioned in the Z anime. That alone makes it rather incompatible with the manga because that's never mentioned.
Goten_jr wrote:http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ama-intro/
Ehh to play devils advocate just because something isn't seen in the manga doesn't mean it didn't /couldn't have happened. Plus I'm pretty sure ruffles were designed by Toriyama too.

The manga later showing “the one other race that shared the planet with the saiyans” and them then being different would be a contradiction. Like Piccolos description of the afterlife contradicting filler hell seen earlier . but this isn't the same.

Ftr the trunks special is not canon, it's just like any episode in relation to it's corresponding manga chapter.
Toriyama wrote and drew a chapter called “Trunks: The story ” which covered those events. Pretty sure it was published in the weekly run, certainly in all the collected editions.

People even wrongly claim, DB super, with Trunks going SS in the rain references the animated special specifically. But it doesn't. It doesn't say it's his first time going super saiyan, it fits with the manga too.

You are of course free to “prefer” the animated special. But that don't make it less non canon than GT or the movies are.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 am

TobyS wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
Ehh to play devils advocate just because something isn't seen in the manga doesn't mean it didn't /couldn't have happened. Plus I'm pretty sure ruffles were designed by Toriyama too.
Fair enough, although I still put it off to the side as Toriyama did that for the anime I feel, similarly to how he designed many of the movie villains and contributed a few ideas to the anime as well.