Is Dragon Ball Your Favorite Anime Ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball Your Favorite Anime Ever?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:56 pm

ABED wrote:I haven't watched much anime, but I do like branching out and watching at least one new TV series a month. After watching some heady, adult, often dark material I understand the inclination to watch something silly and lighthearted, childish even.
It’s really hard for me to get into a tv series so movies are usually a lot easier.

I think there’s been a grand total of like...6? Shows I’ve watched in the past 5 years where I watched more than a single season of.

I’m also reallly bad at finishing shows. Like I haven’t picked up on the US version of Shameless since s5

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:I haven't watched much anime, but I do like branching out and watching at least one new TV series a month. After watching some heady, adult, often dark material I understand the inclination to watch something silly and lighthearted, childish even.
It’s really hard for me to get into a tv series so movies are usually a lot easier.

I think there’s been a grand total of like...6? Shows I’ve watched in the past 5 years where I watched more than a single season of.

I’m also reallly bad at finishing shows. Like I haven’t picked up on the US version of Shameless since s5
I love long form storytelling. I find so much joy in being pulled into a story, even if the show is mostly stand alone episodes. I enjoy films as well, though I find myself watching fewer of them. Even great ones I'll watch once, maybe twice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Oh once I get into a show I’m really big on binge watching

I was year behind on Orange is the new black when that was new but when I got to that I binge watched the first two seasons in like 3 days (unfortunate that show turned to shit)

But getting into a show? And when I do get into it making sure I don’t get off track during a season hiatus that’s a whole nother ball game :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Oh once I get into a show I’m really big on binge watching

I was year behind on Orange is the new black but when I got to that I binge watched the first two seasons in like 3 days (unfortunate that show turned to shit)

But getting into a show? And when I do get into it making sure I don’t get off track during a season hiatus that’s a whole nother ball game :P
How long do you give something before you give up on it? I give it two episodes at most at this point.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:07 pm

My rule is usually two-three episodes on new shows

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:It’s been on my list ever since I found out Black Swan shamelessly ripped it off.
Black Swan is also one of my favorite movies from the 2010s. The Perfect Blue similarities only endeared it to me that much more.
MasenkoHA wrote:Probably set a day aside to mark a bunch of movies off my watchlist
Give some (or all) of these a go then:

Wicked City
Dagger of Kamui
Belladonna of Sadness
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Vampire Hunter D (both the original and Bloodlust)
Ninja Scroll
Robot Carnival
Memories
Neo-Tokyo
Angel's Egg
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Roujin Z
The Mobile Police Patlabor movies
The Space Runway Ideon movies
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Only Yesterday
Grave of the Fireflies
Take the X Train
Demon City Shinjuku
Kite
Golgo 13: The Professional
Crying Freeman
The Venus Wars
Arion
Mind Game
Redline
Dead Leaves
Blood: The Last Vampire
Sword of the Stranger
Cat Soup
The Five Star Stories
Megazone 23
Armitage III OVAs
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats
Black Magic M66
Dominion Tank Police
A.D. Police Files
Bubblegum Crisis OVAs
Goku: The Midnight Eye
Battle Angel Alita (the original OVA obviously)
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Space Adventure Cobra (the anime movie)
The 80s & 90s Devilman OVAs
Metropolis
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Macross Plus
Urusei Yatsura II: Beautiful Dreamer (stands VERY well on its own, without necessarily needing to see the series its from)
Barefoot Gen
Galaxy Express 999 (1979 movie)
Area 88 (original 1980s OVA)
Windaria (uncut version)
Birth
The 1986 Fist of the North Star anime film (excellent primer for the series for beginners: summarizes the first two arcs)
And if you're feeling brave/adventurous, Midori: Shojo Tsubaki

Obviously I'm setting aside not just Perfect Blue (since that was just noted), but also Akira and the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie, since I'm going to assume you've HOPEFULLY seen those at least (and if not... add them to the top).

The palette for all of these is pretty damn diverse, running the gamut from challenging art house fare, to historical dramas, to sci fi, to horror, to social satire, to cyberpunk, to hardboiled noir, to Jidaigeki/Chanbara, to breezy Lethal Weapon/Die Hard-esque "hard R" action, to some (very unconventional and non-stereotypical) mecha, to sheer "what the fuck is this even" unclassifiables, to even a few (non-shitty, non-saccharine) children's movies.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:

Oh definitely agree here. Few years ago I was watching 14/15 tv shows (most comic book related) but realised I was forcing myself too, production values etc just don't compare to a movie. Now I just watch Riverdale and Supernatural. Anime on the other hand is a lot easier to get into, most of the time shows are over in a season or two and only 20 mins, not much time investment required.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:43 pm

I get that, but even if the runtime isn't a lot, a relatively short series can feel like a slog to get through and a long running series can fly by. Case in point, Death Note was a slog, but Yu Yu Hakusho and DB fly by.

I love Castle of Cagliostro. I'd like to see a good live action adaptation of Lupin III with some money behind it. Heist movies is one of my favorite genres.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Guess you could say. I also love to watch Doraemon and Shin-chan but those are episodic stories that one can jump in and enjoy it whereas Dragon Ball kinda requires you to know the history of the series and the characters, which makes it better in my opinion.

Plus, I enjoy checking out the different dubs that exist of DB media and the specials I've not seen before.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:The 1986 Fist of the North Star anime film (excellent primer for the series for beginners: summarizes the first two arcs)
I actually think the HnK movie is the kind of thing that should be watched after the series itself. Not only because of the spoilers, but because the overall tone and style of the film might give viewers the wrong impression of the series. I understand that a lot of people saw the movie first way back when, but if given the choice I would think the fans might be better served with the series.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 pm

MyVisionity wrote:I actually think the HnK movie is the kind of thing that should be watched after the series itself. Not only because of the spoilers, but because the overall tone and style of the film might give viewers the wrong impression of the series. I understand that a lot of people saw the movie first way back when, but if given the choice I would think the fans might be better served with the series.
Not everyone has the time or the inclination to sink hours upon hours of their time into an enormous, hundred+ episode long, continuity-heavy series. I know this might come as a shock to die-hard Shonen fans, but most people generally have these things called "lives" they also have to be concerned with. Masenko, right in this very thread, just noted that he has a difficult time getting into long series, and prefers movies for a more compact, bite-sized experience. TOTALLY understandable place to be coming from.

Within that context, the '86 Fist of the North Star anime film makes PERFECT sense to use as a "summarized/compressed" version of the first quarter or so of the series. It does an all around excellent job at hitting on and encapsulating almost all the important points, events, and characters of those stories (save for Toki and Yuda, who are really the only particularly noteworthy/important characters from those arcs that didn't make it into the film), with mainly the chronology/sequence of certain key events being re-arranged for the sake of serving a feature film's "3 act structure" format (like Ken having his final fight with Shin at Southern Cross right before he goes to Cassandra, as opposed to well before he meets Rei and has to fight Jagi).

For people who don't have the time, the energy, or the patience to sink into a great big Shonen series (Fist's TV anime series clocks in at around 152 episodes total, only one episode less than the original pre-Z DB anime), the 1986 anime movie does a MORE than adequate job at giving them the basic gist of the series in one two hour long shot.

And if it REALLY does grab them that much (as it certainly did a damn good job at instantly hooking a fuckton of other fans back in the early 90s, like myself) then there's absolutely nothing at all stopping them from moving on to checking out the main series either way. And even though the movie will "spoil" most of the main, key events of the first two arcs, there's still PLENTY of extra/important details to be had in the main series that VASTLY expands on and fleshes out those stories, and of course even some notable characters (namely Toki in particular) whose absence from the movie means that they'll still be plenty new to anyone coming into things from the movie. And once past the first two arcs, there's still another 4 more to go after it that are comprised of 100% all new material from the movie.

Basically, the movie works as a great "free sample to taste test before you commit to the full main course meal".

And as far as the "tone" and "style" differences: I frankly flat out disagree on both those counts and honestly don't even really see what you're referring to. The main stylistic differences are that the movie has a different musical score from the main series, as well as overall MUCH better animation (obviously, considering its a theatrical feature film). And of course the movie gets to have even WAY less restrictions on gore/violence, so it gets to go even more nuts with that stuff than the TV anime does.

With regards to the different scores: even though the movie has a different score from the TV series, its still overwhelmingly in the same tonal/stylistic wheelhouse as the main series; that of a big, brassy, bombastic, classical Wuxia score. In terms of "tone" and "style", the anime film and TV series are still very much in keeping with one another: the movie just has a MUCH bigger budget and better production values to play around with.

All that being said though: if you ARE someone who has all the energy and enthusiasm for diving headfirst into another big, hundred+ episode, multi-arc, continuity-heavy Shonen megafranchise, with no questions asked up front... then BY ALL means check out Fist of the North Star's main TV anime series first ASAP, followed then by the movie for a fun (and gorgeously animated/scored) bonus extra.

In terms of these kinds of massive Shonen action mega-series, Fist of the North Star is about as good as any of them ever get (topped maybe only by Yu Yu Hakusho), and certainly kicks Dragon Ball's ass around the block if I were to directly compare them overall. And its certainly a FAR better use of your time commitment than godawful, insufferably sanctimonious and maudlin Hallmark sap like One Piece and MHA and whatnot (which are generally WAY longer and WAY more tedious to get through than Fist ever even comes close to being).

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:33 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Black Swan is also one of my favorite movies from the 2010s. The Perfect Blue similarities only endeared it to me that much more.
I definitely enjoyed Black Swan. So finding out it was essentially a loose American remake of Perfect Blue piqued my interest in the latter
but also Akira and the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie, since I'm going to assume you've HOPEFULLY seen those at least (and if not... add them to the top).
Akira has also been on my list. Like I have had it ready to go on Hulu (by the way I assume I need to watch the sub?)
The palette for all of these is pretty damn diverse, running the gamut from challenging art house fare, to historical dramas, to sci fi, to horror, to social satire, to cyberpunk, to hardboiled noir, to Jidaigeki/Chanbara, to breezy Lethal Weapon/Die Hard-esque "hard R" action, to some (very unconventional and non-stereotypical) mecha, to sheer "what the fuck is this even" unclassifiables, to even a few (non-shitty, non-saccharine) children's movies.
Thank you

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:The 1986 Fist of the North Star anime film (excellent primer for the series for beginners: summarizes the first two arcs)
I actually think the HnK movie is the kind of thing that should be watched after the series itself. Not only because of the spoilers, but because the overall tone and style of the film might give viewers the wrong impression of the series. I understand that a lot of people saw the movie first way back when, but if given the choice I would think the fans might be better served with the series.

I think maybe a movie that summarizes the show (I assume its a pre-Z Dragon Ball movies type thing) might be more accessible and then maybe if I like it attempt the tv series.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I definitely enjoyed Black Swan. So finding out it was essentially a loose American remake of Perfect Blue piqued my interest in the latter
I'd seen Perfect Blue originally when it first came out in the late 90s, and it was immediately an instant classic that I fell in love with at the time. Black Swan was phenomenal not just for being a (unbelievably well made) loose thematic American adaptation of it, but also for how much it - like Perfect Blue itself - borrows from classic Giallo movies (one of my favorite ever horror subgenres).
MasenkoHA wrote:Akira has also been on my list. Like I have had it ready to go on Hulu (by the way I assume I need to watch the sub?)
Good lord. Then yes, DEFINITELY put Akira (and the '95 Ghost in the Shell anime film) at the top of the list. For Akira, the Pioneer dub is perfectly serviceable, but going with the sub is obviously fine too. With Akira, you're mostly good either way, sub or dub. For a vast overwhelming majority of most of these listed anime movies however (rare exceptions like Ghost in the Shell, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D aside, which all have fairly good quality dubs) you'll almost definitely wanna go sub over dub, without question.
MasenkoHA wrote:I think maybe a movie that summarizes the show (I assume its a pre-Z Dragon Ball movies type thing) might be more accessible and then maybe if I like it attempt the tv series.
That's exactly what I wrote up top: its a good way to get a very good sample of the core essence of the series before deciding if you'd like to dive in any further. And yes, the Fist of the North Star anime film is indeed a "summarizes a part of the series" type of deal: the first two story arcs out of a series total of six. Again, see my earlier post above for a more detailed breakdown.
MasenkoHA wrote:Thank you
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Any & every chance to help wean someone off of the Shonen Jump Zombie Franchise meat grinder and get them into checking out more overall older-skewing, more creatively vibrant, less heavily corporatized, and generally more diversified anime is always a pleasure I'll welcome happily.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
I'd seen Perfect Blue originally when it first came out in the late 90s, and it was immediately an instant classic that I fell in love with at the time.
Having just finished watching it, honestly, I enjoy it for what a mind fuck it is. How much was real? How much was Mima’s fractured grip on reality? How much of it was part of their tv series? I assume maybe Me-Mania never existed but was Rumi real? Was Mima an illusion of Rumi’s?

I need to do a second watch because holy fuck I was lost in a good way.

- borrows from classic Giallo movies (one of my favorite ever horror subgenres).
That’s another subgenre I’ve been meaning to look more into. Blood and Black Lace has been on my to watch list.

I’ve seen the original Suspiria, but aside from being a really really gorgeous looking movie was kind of hard to care about. Not sure if that is a good example of a giallo film though.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 am

It's one of three anime I've actually dedicated a good chunk of time to watching, and dominates most of my anime related thoughts and discussions, so it's fair to say yeah, though I think Yu Yu Hakusho is better.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:57 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:

I think maybe a movie that summarizes the show (I assume its a pre-Z Dragon Ball movies type thing) might be more accessible and then maybe if I like it attempt the tv series.
Yeah I guess you could compare it to something like DB Movie 3 Mystical Adventure in that regard.

I just think anyone looking to get into HnK/FotNS should maybe watch the first five or whatever episodes of the show if they're short on time, instead of needlessly spoiling themselves with the movie or setting their expectations too high with regards to the animation and violence.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Having just finished watching it, honestly, I enjoy it for what a mind fuck it is. How much was real? How much was Mima’s fractured grip on reality? How much of it was part of their tv series? I assume maybe Me-Mania never existed but was Rumi real? Was Mima an illusion of Rumi’s?

I need to do a second watch because holy fuck I was lost in a good way.
One of the absolute greatest things about the movie (apart from, as you noted, what a glorious mind trip it is) is how much SEETHING vitriol and righteously pissed off disgust it clearly has for Japanese culture's own issues with sex and gender dynamics: particularly with "Idol Culture" and its ridiculously creepy-ass fanbase. But you can EASILY apply this just as much to... certain specific corners of anime fandom as well.

The whole movie's undertones just spits acid nonstop at every nauseatingly gross, skeevy aspect of Japanese pop culture's deranged obsession with youth, "innocence" (or rather a VERY warped, skewed ideal of it), and barely pubescent girls.

In many ways, Perfect Blue is the anti-Moe. And that's just one reason of many why its so fucking good and still resonates so much.
MasenkoHA wrote:That’s another subgenre I’ve been meaning to look more into. Blood and Black Lace has been on my to watch list.
Blood and Black Lace is SO fucking good. Movie was INSANELY ahead of its time in so many respects and has aged like fine wine. Nobody makes a good, surreal slasher movie like Bava.
MasenkoHA wrote:I’ve seen the original Suspiria, but aside from being a really really gorgeous looking movie was kind of hard to care about. Not sure if that is a good example of a giallo film though.
Definitely try to give it another shot sometime. The original Suspiria's downright masterful, and one of the Giallo genre's signature, defining works. I still need to see the remake (haven't had a chance to yet: too much work lately), but everything I've seen/heard about it has me thoroughly jazzed to check it out.

A few more great vintage Giallo movies to check out:

Opera
Deep Red
Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka A Bay of Blood)
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Short Night of Glass Dolls
The New York Ripper
Stage Fright
A Blade in the Dark
Tenebre
Don't Torture a Duckling

And for an excellent modern day stab (no pun intended) at the genre, check out Amer from 2009. And of course, see also most of Brian De Palma's work in the 80s (namely Dressed to Kill and Body Double) for some great American examples from the genre's heyday.

A lot of these were where some of my more... infamous avatars I used to have on here way back in the day came from. :twisted: :twisted:

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:13 am

My favorite anime is probably Spice and Wolf. Not sure what genre that is; I don't think that "wolf girl and the medieval merchant economy" is typical Shonen fare, but hey, Japan.

As far as typical battle Shonen goes, I'd place both FMA's, Inu-Yasha, Kenshin, and AoT pretty far ahead of DB, which I consider to be basically a serviceable story with great art.

Not much anime knowledge outside that, I'm afraid, aside from Pokemon and the like. More of a book/live action person, myself.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote:

Same, I don't get to pick up long series as much as I'd like to, especially since I usually work 6 days a week. I pick up maybe 1 or 2 new shows a year I finish all the way through, the rest are works in progress. In terms of anime recently I've watched the first 10 episodes of One Punch Man (because its still short), My Hero Academia and Mobile Suit Gundam but need to find time to catch up with the former and see the remainder of the latter. I also watched season 1 of Attack on Titan before the new year but plan to binge season 2 just before season 3 debuts. I've also watched the first 45 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho but haven't resumed in a while.

Movies are much easier as I don't go to the cinema much for budgetary reasons but a lot of I've seen a lot of modern blockbusters like a lot of the Marvel, other Disney and Dreamworks movies pop up on Netflix so usually check them out.

Although a lot of the time I do resort to sticking with the familiar and will put off watching something new to rewatch some Dragon Ball or Star Wars. Doesn't happen all the time but now and then for sure.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: