Would ROF been better with a training sequence for Freeza?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Would ROF been better with a training sequence for Freeza?

Post by bleed0range » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm

I was thinking today about how shallow the ROF movie felt at the end of the day. It felt like it was missing something. I’ve always thought, if Freeza had come to Earth immediately, without his gold form being acquired yet, and been overwhelmed by Goku and Vegeta. He could have retreated off planet to deal with the question of how could he possibly match them? This would be more motivation for him to train and then seeing him train would have made the final fight a lot more epic. They could have even made the training sequence kind of funny like a Rocky training sequence and THAT is where they could have used that Maxiumum the Hormone song. Imagine him hitting a punching bag to “Freeeza, Freeeza!!” Using his minions as training buddie who are scared for their lives to be chosen!

It would sort of be a reverse to how the arcs usually go. Kind of like how the good guys in the show lose, train and then win. It would be the opposite except the bad guy would lose, train and win. He could still defeat them by blowing up the Earth and Goku and company could use Whis’ rewind to save the day... but I feel it would have been a more satisfying arc to the story.

What do you think?

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: Would ROF been better with a training sequence for Freeza?

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 pm

It could have added something more to the movie, but I also feel like it wouldn't stop some people's complaints. From what I could tell, people seemed to be upset that Freeza gained such a large amount of power in such a small period of time, thinking it was hard to believe considering how much training Goku and Vegeta had to do. Unless his training involved push-ups with galaxies, or something, bringing more attention to it would just add more fuel to the fire that "his training shouldn't have been enough to make him that much stronger".
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:It could have added something more to the movie, but I also feel like it wouldn't stop some people's complaints. From what I could tell, people seemed to be upset that Freeza gained such a large amount of power in such a small period of time, thinking it was hard to believe considering how much training Goku and Vegeta had to do. Unless his training involved push-ups with galaxies, or something, bringing more attention to it would just add more fuel to the fire that "his training shouldn't have been enough to make him that much stronger".
I always felt it was realistically justified. Goku of course started off at about 10, so if Goku can catch up to Frieza's "base form" level of a million, then to me it makes sense that Frieza, with a base battle power that's so exceedingly high, would be able to catch up so damn easily. It isn't exactly outside the ballpark of, say, Goku going from Vegeta' Earth visit level to being able to wipe out the friggin' Ginyu Force.
Last edited by KBABZ on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 pm

That might stave off a couple of power-scalers, but the problem with RoF runs deeper than that nonsense. A lack of tension, suspense or general meaning is what plagues the film, on a level that goes beyond Yamamuro's lame-ass direction. It diminishes the galactic emperor into just being some bad guy who fights Goku and Vegeta. He shows up, pulls one trick that gets fixed by time travel magic, and dies like a total joke. The movie makes him look like a bit of an idiot, and even if he had one up on Goku and Vegeta it wouldn't have mattered because Beerus was there saying he would kill him if he tried to harm Earth anyway.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 am

Even Rocky had a montage!
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:48 pm

ABSOLUTELY! Also, it'd have been much better if Tagoma wasn't taken out early in the movie, and was left to live to his potential.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 pm

I believe the manga (the 3 chapter adaption for the movie) had a few panels of Freeza training. He wore a sweatshirt with a giant "F" on it, drank protein drinks, and did general workouts. I thought it was funny.

I've been bamboozled by fucking dragongarrowlee. >_< But here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Last edited by SpiritBombTriumphant on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I believe the manga (the 3 chapter adaption for the movie) had a few panels of Freeza training. He wore a sweatshirt with a giant "F" on it, drank protein drinks, and did general workouts. I thought it was funny.
No, that was just a fanart by DragonGarrowLee.