Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 am

Damned wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 am Is it going to have everything exactly as the VHS tapes though? Tom's last remaster was missing the title cards and the sound effects in the opening.
I didn't pick up on the sound effects in Episodes 2-5 until just recently, but I will include them. Title cards have been in for ages.

Also this isn't the waifu-filtered version, I didn't have any involvement with that. My reconstruction uses Dragon Box footage as the baseline for the anime episodes. This means they're not HD and the Japanese credits are in the opening, but it overall contains more authentic detail.

The 1+3 movie on the other hand uses the Amazon versions of them. The exception is with the intro and the credits, but for me that's a small price to pay to have the main movie content in glorious HD because it really makes the Harmony Gold dub 20x more watchable.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:32 am

Are you planning on placing the online encodes of Zero y El Dragon Magico ep 2-4 (1 and 5 weren't uploaded) and the double feature as a second audio track? More importantly, do you think you'll still be able to find them, as I think the Facebook page that originally hosted them got shut didn't?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 am

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:32 am Are you planning on placing the online encodes of Zero y El Dragon Magico ep 2-4 (1 and 5 weren't uploaded) and the double feature as a second audio track? More importantly, do you think you'll still be able to find them, as I think the Facebook page that originally hosted them got shut didn't?
I don't have them, and I honestly don't have enough experience with multiple audio tracks to include it in the first place.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 am
Damned wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 am Is it going to have everything exactly as the VHS tapes though? Tom's last remaster was missing the title cards and the sound effects in the opening.
I didn't pick up on the sound effects in Episodes 2-5 until just recently, but I will include them. Title cards have been in for ages.

Also this isn't the waifu-filtered version, I didn't have any involvement with that. My reconstruction uses Dragon Box footage as the baseline for the anime episodes. This means they're not HD and the Japanese credits are in the opening, but it overall contains more authentic detail.

The 1+3 movie on the other hand uses the Amazon versions of them. The exception is with the intro and the credits, but for me that's a small price to pay to have the main movie content in glorious HD because it really makes the Harmony Gold dub 20x more watchable.
Err....I think we are both referring to completely different remasters. The only one I'm aware of is the one that uses the Selecta Vision blu-ray for footage and is missing the opening SFX in all five episodes. In addition, it was some of the eyecatches, not title cards, that were missing that I was thinking of, sorry.

In any case, if you could upload the raws to "the usual place" I would appreciate it Tom.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Hey everyone! IT'S FINISHED!!!! I've finally completed the Harmony Gold Dub Reconstruction project!! I've made a thread for it over in the Fan-Created Works section, but feel free to talk about the dub itself here!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45758

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:46 am

It’s interesting to me that the script for the “movie” was pretty accurate to the Japanese version and less censored and the scripts for the episodes were like waaay off and ridiculously censored (to the point I’m almost positive Harmony Gold cancelled the project because they realized the show would become incoherent with the kind of edits they were making)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:51 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:46 am It’s interesting to me that the script for the “movie” was pretty accurate to the Japanese version and less censored and the scripts for the episodes were like waaay off and ridiculously censored (to the point I’m almost positive Harmony Gold cancelled the project because they realized the show would become incoherent with the kind of edits they were making)
A lot of the script changes I noticed were made to accommodate the censoring cuts and help the story flow better without them, such as Bulma hitting Goku in the head in Episode 4 for indirectly insulting her, since the Pat Pat moment was cut.

Robo has come up with the theory that the reason why Zedaki knows about the Dragon Balls already in Episode 5 is so that they can skip over Episode 6 entirely, which is so full of problematic stuff that it'd be impossible to edit everything out and keep a decent runtime AND keep the story coherent.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:37 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:51 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:46 am It’s interesting to me that the script for the “movie” was pretty accurate to the Japanese version and less censored and the scripts for the episodes were like waaay off and ridiculously censored (to the point I’m almost positive Harmony Gold cancelled the project because they realized the show would become incoherent with the kind of edits they were making)
A lot of the script changes I noticed were made to accommodate the censoring cuts and help the story flow better without them, such as Bulma hitting Goku in the head in Episode 4 for indirectly insulting her, since the Pat Pat moment was cut.

Robo has come up with the theory that the reason why Zedaki knows about the Dragon Balls already in Episode 5 is so that they can skip over Episode 6 entirely, which is so full of problematic stuff that it'd be impossible to edit everything out and keep a decent runtime AND keep the story coherent.
Honestly even parts that didn’t need to be accommodated for with cuts still tended to be way off from what I recall like Zero knowing his tail was unusual and hoping girls thought he was cute, or knowing the Pterodactyl was bad news from the start. Or Roshi offering the nimbus cloud from the start instead of offering an immortal phoenix (magic carpet in the Funi dubs)

And really given the kind of stuff Harmony Gold was taking issue, stuff Funimation/Seagull Entertainment in 1995 either let slide or had the resources to edit around I can’t imagine Harmony Gold could have possibly continued this dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:37 pm And really given the kind of stuff Harmony Gold was taking issue, stuff Funimation/Seagull Entertainment in 1995 either let slide or had the resources to edit around I can’t imagine Harmony Gold could have possibly continued this dub.
If they were editing around the Japanese bits I'd imagine HG would have lost their shit when looking at the design for the tournament buildings!

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:51 am

Given HG it would not surprise me, but didnt the spanish dub that used the HG scripts do episode 6?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:45 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:35 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:51 am Robo has come up with the theory that the reason why Zedaki knows about the Dragon Balls already in Episode 5 is so that they can skip over Episode 6 entirely, which is so full of problematic stuff that it'd be impossible to edit everything out and keep a decent runtime AND keep the story coherent.
Given HG it would not surprise me, but didnt the spanish dub that used the HG scripts do episode 6?
I'm not well-versed on that side of things, but from what I understand the Mexican dub started using different scripts after they got past the initial Harmony Gold material.

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:07 pm

Sorry to make this thread a zombie again, but I have yet another update.

A source of mine in the Philadelphia area has informed me he has located a first-generation VHS recording of the WGBS telecast of the movies that his father had made back in late-89. We've agreed to get it a proper transfer through a DB fan in his area. I will make it available as soon as I receive the full transfer. Tape apparently includes original commercials as well.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... mp4?tag=10

Above I have placed a clip of the tape my source sent me. Obviously we're going to get a real transfer done, but the source is a minor, and the tape is his father's, so we have to be careful here. Because the source is a minor, unlike the episodes, I will not be naming him. I hope you guys understand!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Tom_Servo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:07 pm Sorry to make this thread a zombie again, but I have yet another update.

A source of mine in the Philadelphia area has informed me he has located a first-generation VHS recording of the WGBS telecast of the movies that his father had made back in late-89. We've agreed to get it a proper transfer through a DB fan in his area. I will make it available as soon as I receive the full transfer. Tape apparently includes original commercials as well.

Above I have placed a clip of the tape my source sent me. Obviously we're going to get a real transfer done, but the source is a minor, and the tape is his father's, so we have to be careful here. Because the source is a minor, unlike the episodes, I will not be naming him. I hope you guys understand!
Thats pretty awesome! Man when I read his dad taped it I was assumed the dad was an adult in the 80s. Feelin old now!! Thank your source for all of us! :D

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 pm
Tom_Servo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:07 pm Sorry to make this thread a zombie again, but I have yet another update.

Thats pretty awesome! Man when I read his dad taped it I was assumed the dad was an adult in the 80s. Feelin old now!! Thank your source for all of us! :D
Wow that's so cool! Can't wait to see that.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm pretty sure the mods/admin don't mind a thread being necro'd if something is relevant to the topic which I'm pretty sure this is (at least that's how I've observed it in the almost 10 years I've been on here when it comes to thread necroing so I may be wrong and if I am feel free to let me know).
Tom_Servo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:07 pm A source of mine in the Philadelphia area has informed me he has located a first-generation VHS recording of the WGBS telecast of the movies that his father had made back in late-89. We've agreed to get it a proper transfer through a DB fan in his area. I will make it available as soon as I receive the full transfer. Tape apparently includes original commercials as well.

A 1st gen VHS recording of the movies? That's awesome, and yeah gotta tread carefully with a source like that, looking forward to seeing the final result when everything is said and done.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:28 am

It's been some time. Happy 2022. We've managed to get the first-gen recording! The audio (save for some dropouts during the first 5 minutes of the 2 hour recording) is superior (and stereo!) to all previously-available WGBS 57 recordings of movies 1+3, titled "Dragon Ball". It will be shared in the coming days once it's properly restored and put together for release!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:11 pm

Tom_Servo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:28 am It's been some time. Happy 2022. We've managed to get the first-gen recording! The audio (save for some dropouts during the first 5 minutes of the 2 hour recording) is superior (and stereo!) to all previously-available WGBS 57 recordings of movies 1+3, titled "Dragon Ball". It will be shared in the coming days once it's properly restored and put together for release!
That's fantastic, very much looking forward to seeing the feature with the new audio.

Happy New Year to you, and thanks for everything you've done for our community thus far.

Apologies if I'm being impatient (it's not my intention at all) but may I ask if there has been any progress with the questions Wendee Lee sent to Dave Mallow? I know she didn't want people pestering her so I chose not to reach out, but would love to know if the Harmony Gold Q&A is still happening.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:30 pm

And the superior audio of the five WGPR episodes is now available to all on the Internet Archive. Thanks to Ashura of this very forum for working with Ryan Gavigan to properly transfer and preserve this rare audio. We were unable to get the video portion, so we instead used the video from KBABZ's faithful reconstruction of the episodes and movies using DBOX syncs and Amazon WEB-DLs. And that closes the book on a long long search for an old 80s dub.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:17 am

Tom_Servo wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:30 pm And the superior audio of the five WGPR episodes is now available to all on the Internet Archive. Thanks to Ashura of this very forum for working with Ryan Gavigan to properly transfer and preserve this rare audio. We were unable to get the video portion, so we instead used the video from KBABZ's faithful reconstruction of the episodes and movies using DBOX syncs and Amazon WEB-DLs. And that closes the book on a long long search for an old 80s dub.
thank you so much for all of your help! As someone who's active in the lost media community it warms my heart when searches like these yield such great result.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:51 am

That was a wild experience. I'm surprised that they didn't try to blend the two films together more, though. It would have been interesting to see them try and combine all three films, too. Oh, well.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf