Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:05 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:51 am That was a wild experience. I'm surprised that they didn't try to blend the two films together more, though. It would have been interesting to see them try and combine all three films, too. Oh, well.
I wonder if they had issues with the content. They clearly had access to Sleeping Princess since they inserted bits of its footage into the opening and used a frame of Devil's Hand for their eyecatch. Was something about Sleeping Princess objectionable to Harmony Gold? Or maybe they thought movie 3 was more interesting and just decided to combine that with movie 1 nevermind "Bongo" and "Marilyn "come out of nowhere.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:05 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:51 am That was a wild experience. I'm surprised that they didn't try to blend the two films together more, though. It would have been interesting to see them try and combine all three films, too. Oh, well.
I wonder if they had issues with the content. They clearly had access to Sleeping Princess since they inserted bits of its footage into the opening and used a frame of Devil's Hand for their eyecatch. Was something about Sleeping Princess objectionable to Harmony Gold? Or maybe they thought movie 3 was more interesting and just decided to combine that with movie 1 nevermind "Bongo" and "Marilyn "come out of nowhere.
I wonder if they thought that the 'devil' was too suggestive? Or they couldn't make the pilot longer than 85 minutes?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:29 am

Nice to know we can finally have a definitive presentation for the Harmony Gold dub. Considering how brief it's run was and how long the episodes were lost its a small miracle that it was found.

Much appreciate the hard work of KBABZ as well as Tom_Servo in this lost media saga.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:05 am I wonder if they had issues with the content. They clearly had access to Sleeping Princess since they inserted bits of its footage into the opening and used a frame of Devil's Hand for their eyecatch. Was something about Sleeping Princess objectionable to Harmony Gold? Or maybe they thought movie 3 was more interesting and just decided to combine that with movie 1 nevermind "Bongo" and "Marilyn "come out of nowhere.
I thought it was because of content, namely Goku appearing naked towards the end... but they could've easily cut that out.

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:29 am Nice to know we can finally have a definitive presentation for the Harmony Gold dub. Considering how brief it's run was and how long the episodes were lost its a small miracle that it was found.

Much appreciate the hard work of KBABZ as well as Tom_Servo in this lost media saga.
Yeah, it's great that the dub was found.

I knew there was a chance (though very unlikely) that the episodes of the dub would come to light, considering that there were a few people who claimed to have recordings of the episodes.

The dub itself is surprisingly faithful to the original source material (besides the name changes of course). It's pretty decent compared to other 80s english dubs of anime (Robotech, Voltron, etc).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 am

inninnin wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51 am

The dub itself is surprisingly faithful to the original source material (besides the name changes of course). It's pretty decent compared to other 80s english dubs of anime (Robotech, Voltron, etc).
For the movie(s)? Yes. For the tv show? Barely a line of dialog is the same and most of the time the characters are just prattling on about nonsense.

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 am

For the movie(s)? Yes. For the tv show? Barely a line of dialog is the same and most of the time the characters are just prattling on about nonsense.
That is true. Though I do remember that they butchered Master Roshi's "Kamehameha" line pretty bad in the movie. He did it like "Ka-Me-Hameha.. Hyah!" Like, what the heck?

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:01 am

inninnin wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 am

That is true. Though I do remember that they butchered Master Roshi's "Kamehameha" line pretty bad in the movie. He did it like "Ka-Me-Hameha.. Hyah!" Like, what the heck?
It's weird and kinds cringey but other than that I pretty much enjoyed the movie combo. But I may be biased since it uses my tape audio.

I do wish we could've seen roshi do it ok the fire mountain with HG dub that's my favorite ka me ha me ha I'm the series