Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 am

Tom_Servo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:25 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9l_rF_isLE

We have produced a preview of our upcoming HD restoration of the Harmony Gold episodes.

prays to DMCA gods it doesn’t get immediately blocked

Video will be removed after the final release.
Hey, uh... isn't this extremely similar to what I was already doing???

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 am

It is, but there’s nothing wrong with competition, right? You’re free to use our materials for your restoration, too!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:18 am

Tom_Servo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:25 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9l_rF_isLE

We have produced a preview of our upcoming HD restoration of the Harmony Gold episodes.

prays to DMCA gods it doesn’t get immediately blocked

Video will be removed after the final release.
Hm.

Do you mind if I offer some constructive criticism?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 am

Dragon God. IN MY KIDS TV DUB...

More Likely than you think!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:54 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:05 pm
kei17 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:25 am I was looking through TV recordings of the Latin American Spanish dub, and I noticed that the source of the footage changes from episode 61. The footage becomes more discolored and looks closer to the DBox masters. As I pointed out, they do seem to be still using the HG masters until episode 60.

Image Image
huh i wonder why theres the tint. funimation got digibeta with decent colors on them for DB. makes me wonder what mexico got after zero and the magic dragon
Cloverway received everything in Betacam format as far as i know

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:33 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:32 pm
Valerius Dover wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 pm

The tech of 1989 was not to the point of where they could do those kinds of things until much later, at least i don't think it was quite there yet. They certainly had the means to digitally edit by the time FUNi started in '94 and the BLT dub entered production soon after.
Did Robotech never have paint edits? Haven't seen it myself, but I would think three shows that were altered that much would've required it.
Really? I didn't think digital paint editing was even around in 1985/86 when the Robotech edited versions of Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada were produced and aired. Who knows???
Not totally sure bout that, but, i've heard about Digital paint Software around 1981, i'm sure the tech was there, but either it was getting developed, or too expensive

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 am Sailor Moon did poorly at first due to being aired in syndication during weekday afternoons while it's target audience was in school and that led to DiC cancelling it after the first season, but it did start to pick up steam when USA Network picked it up and the ratings were good enough to justify getting DiC back in to dub season 2.

You are correct that Anime was largely perceived as being for adults before the late 90s, and earlier anime shows weren't considered high art, Roger Ebert actually pointed out in his review of the live-action Speed Racer movie that the original anime was largely considered disposable filler between reruns of Gilligan's Island and The Munsters back in the day and people only really watched it because it was in color. A lot of TV stations viewed anime as filler for decades until DBZ started getting big.
Sailor Moon didn't aired Weekday Afternoons as far as i know, it did poorly due to the fact that it aired at 5am is most markets

However, some got the show on a decent time

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:51 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 am Sailor Moon did poorly at first due to being aired in syndication during weekday afternoons while it's target audience was in school and that led to DiC cancelling it after the first season, but it did start to pick up steam when USA Network picked it up and the ratings were good enough to justify getting DiC back in to dub season 2.

You are correct that Anime was largely perceived as being for adults before the late 90s, and earlier anime shows weren't considered high art, Roger Ebert actually pointed out in his review of the live-action Speed Racer movie that the original anime was largely considered disposable filler between reruns of Gilligan's Island and The Munsters back in the day and people only really watched it because it was in color. A lot of TV stations viewed anime as filler for decades until DBZ started getting big.
Sailor Moon didn't aired Weekday Afternoons as far as i know, it did poorly due to the fact that it aired at 5am is most markets

At least some markets aired it on weekday afternoons according to the info i've found online, but yeah 5am isn't a great time to air anime, DBZ was also initially aired at 5am in several syndication markets.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:05 pm

It didn’t do poorly.

Again it got a Thanksgiving day marathon in 1996. What network is going to do that for a show with poor ratings?

It had a PC game and the manga was release a year before it aired on Cartoon Network

Both USA and Cartoon Network agreed to run it and Cartoon Network even gave it an after school timeslot.

This whole myth that DBZ and Sailor Moon were failures in syndication but Toonami just saw the potential and gave them a shot and then ?? success is just that a myth. They were picked up by Cartoon Network and given solid time slots because they already were proven successes

In both cases people make the assumption the shows were “cancelled” (it’s debatable if DBZ was ever cancelled so much as it was put on hold) and then saved by Toonami which then lead to more episodes. In the case of Sailor Moon, the licensee just wasn’t interested in producing more than 65 episodes (which was a standard for American cartoons for some reason?) and then dubbed the rest of the second series after a Canadian toy company fronted the money to get those episodes dubbed. In the case of DBZ; Saban pulled out of the syndication business entirely, Funimation made a deal with Cartoon Network, more episodes were produced after Cartoon Network was happy with the ratings and Funimation got everything moved over from Vancouver to Texas

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pm

At least some markets aired it on weekday afternoons according to the info i've found online, but yeah 5am isn't a great time to air anime, DBZ was also initially aired at 5am in several syndication markets.
DBZ got a bit more decent timeslot, 6am and 7am in some markets

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:05 pm

It didn’t do poorly.

Again it got a Thanksgiving day marathon in 1996. What network is going to do that for a show with poor ratings?

It had a PC game and the manga was release a year before it aired on Cartoon Network

Both USA and Cartoon Network agreed to run it and Cartoon Network even gave it an after school timeslot.

This whole myth that DBZ and Sailor Moon were failures in syndication but Toonami just saw the potential and gave them a shot and then ?? success is just that a myth. They were picked up by Cartoon Network and given solid time slots because they already were proven successes

In both cases people make the assumption the shows were “cancelled” (it’s debatable if DBZ was ever cancelled so much as it was put on hold) and then saved by Toonami which then lead to more episodes. In the case of Sailor Moon, the licensee just wasn’t interested in producing more than 65 episodes (which was a standard for American cartoons for some reason?) and then dubbed the rest of the second series after a Canadian toy company fronted the money to get those episodes dubbed. In the case of DBZ; Saban pulled out of the syndication business entirely, Funimation made a deal with Cartoon Network, more episodes were produced after Cartoon Network was happy with the ratings and Funimation got everything moved over from Vancouver to Texas
It's not really a myth though, otherwise DiC's version would not have been cancelled for years before Toonami ran SM.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 pm

It didn’t do poorly.

It's not really a myth though, otherwise DiC's version would not have been cancelled for years before Toonami ran SM.

Again DiC just wasn’t interested in producing more than 65 episodes because that was the arbitrary standards for most kids shows back in the day (not that some shows didn’t go past that a lot just stopped there)

A show that did bad in the ratings doesn’t get half the treatment Sailor Moon got pre-Toonami.

The last batch of episodes to complete the R series aired in Canada a year before Toonami got them. Toonami just happened to be the block that got the episodes in the US. They had no responsibility for the show being uncancelled.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:05 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:06 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pm At least some markets aired it on weekday afternoons according to the info i've found online, but yeah 5am isn't a great time to air anime, DBZ was also initially aired at 5am in several syndication markets.
DBZ got a bit more decent timeslot, 6am and 7am in some markets
I think it moved even later than that for season 2, if its smash-hit ratings are anything to go by.

Also, could you please not revive tons of old threads? Clearly you're interested in this kind of subject, but I feel it would be easier to have these conversations in one new thread, rather than over tons of other threads that discuss things related to what you're interested in.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 pm

It didn’t do poorly.

Again DiC just wasn’t interested in producing more than 65 episodes because that was the arbitrary standards for most kids shows back in the day (not that some shows didn’t go past that a lot just stopped there)

A show that did bad in the ratings doesn’t get half the treatment Sailor Moon got pre-Toonami.

The last batch of episodes to complete the R series aired in Canada a year before Toonami got them. Toonami just happened to be the block that got the episodes in the US. They had no responsibility for the show being uncancelled.
Oh yeah that old 65 episode limit, syndication hasn't been a thing for so long i'd forgotten about that arbitrary limit(which Disney also used on it's shows for the longest time much to many fans frustrations).

Goku_D

Post by Goku_D » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:34 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 am Hey guys, check it out! I commissioned vector artist HowXu on deviantART to make a reconstructed version of the Harmony Gold Dragon Ball logo as seen in the eyecatches, so that I can use it in my reconstruction project! It still needs some tweaking regarding the colour, but I think it looks really accurate! The animation of the Dragon Ball sweeping across to reveal the logo is also there, the only thing I need to add is the sheen that runs along the bottom edge of the logo!

hello I have some episodes of the Spanish version of harmony gold dragon ball published by SergioCM and I wanted to share my version of your image.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Wow! Much more saturated than I expected!

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Hopefully a final update.

Ryan’s HG tape has been retransferred and sent to me by the current owner. Audio quality is much less garbled, and higher frequencies are much more prevalent, requiring far less audio restoration. An upcoming release will utilize this new audio. Look forward to the future.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Awesome news! Was there any improvement in the picture quality?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:28 am

Damned wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 pm Awesome news! Was there any improvement in the picture quality?
I wouldn't say so. I think Tom's look forward to the future thing is in regards to my Reconstruction progress, however I'm currently in the midst of my Crash 4 guide for IGN and I may get a PS5 guide for launch so I'll be quite busy! All five episodes and the 1+3 Movie have been reconstructed, so I just need to swap in the audio, adjust the colours on the eyecatch elements, and re-render them. Then figure out how to distribute it which is A WHOLE 'NOTHER MATTER

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 am

Is it going to have everything exactly as the VHS tapes though? Tom's last remaster was missing the title cards and the sound effects in the opening.