Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am I meant in the sense of the except same dialog (sans names), censorship, Peter Berring score, Find that Dragon Ball opening.
... Well, yeah...?

Again, the dialogue will probably have some other small differences, maybe even some major ones, since with the amount of redubbing required, it's possible a massive chunk of dialogue was re-recorded since they were changing all the names anyway, the Berring score may be rearranged slightly, and the opening will probably at least use a couple of alternate takes in some places ("Goku... He's gonna show you...!").

Still, Funi's OG 1999 vs dedubbed 2007 era dubs of DBZ are the same dialogue, Funi's redubs of Ocean-dubbed material tended to use basically the same scripts as Ocean did... And yet, these are still considered valuable, different versions.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Not really related but pretty cool nonetheless. I don't know who this person is but if they have the commercials from when the dub aired, you'd think they would have the dub itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wLWZR2IbE

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:54 am

You know, those could just be the commercials that accompanied the double feature movie dub. If that's the case, it's nothing new.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 am

Still a cool find either way by the OP. Those bumpers haven't been uploaded before.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am

The VHS capture those ad breaks came from (the complete broadcast, with ads and the opening/ending of the surrounding programs, but with like the first ten minutes of the soundtrack almost inaudibly quiet) has been around the interwebs in MPEG2/DVD format for at least a few months. The ads date the recording to December 1989 IIRC. I think the specific day might be deducible from the sports matches advertised.

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am

I’ve got an update.

I have entered inquiries into Funimation and numerous TV stations across the US that allegedly aired the HG dub. I’ve even heard some accounts online that Goku (sorry, Zero) and Bulma were brother and sister in this dub.

I have also managed to contact Eddy Hsu (who now lives in California), who recorded tapes of the dub off of Michigan cable TV in 1989-1990. He has told me he will search all the tapes and boxes he has left to see if he still has it and will let me know soon.

All of this has been brought to the attention of Derek Padula! Fingers crossed, everyone!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 am

Tom_Servo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am . I’ve even heard some accounts online that Goku (sorry, Zero) and Bulma were brother and sister in this dub.
You can find the Curse of the Blood Rubies/Mystical Adventure hybrid dub online no they weren’t made brother and sister. Also this clip: https://youtu.be/NLQ-hVir9dU

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 am
Tom_Servo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am . I’ve even heard some accounts online that Goku (sorry, Zero) and Bulma were brother and sister in this dub.
You can find the Curse of the Blood Rubies/Mystical Adventure hybrid dub online no they weren’t made brother and sister. Also this clip: https://youtu.be/NLQ-hVir9dU
I figured that bit was hogwash and unrealistic. The hybrid dub currently online was actually unearthed by a user on MySpleen who uncovered the dub from a box of tapes he was sent. So, you never know what could happen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Tom_Servo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 am
I figured that bit was hogwash and unrealistic. The hybrid dub currently online was actually unearthed by a user on MySpleen who uncovered the dub from a box of tapes he was sent. So, you never know what could happen.
It's also a pretty poor tape that was very badly digitised, to be honest. :lol:
I'm pretty sure the entire opening narration (as well as most of the OP song) is effectively not present?

Anyway, as for "Goku and Bulma are siblings in this dub"... I wouldn't count on it, but it's entirely possible Harmony Gold made that change for their series after having done the movie a different way. It's hard to say. Though I would say it's unlikely, especially given that clip. :lol:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 pm

There could be an alternate timeline where Funimation kept Zero and it wasn't revealed until later that his alien name was Goku and he ends up sticking with that :lol:

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Anyway, as for "Goku and Bulma are siblings in this dub"... I wouldn't count on it, but it's entirely possible Harmony Gold made that change for their series after having done the movie a different way.
Huh id never considered that... still doubt it but nothing would surprise me with harmony gold

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 pm There could be an alternate timeline where Funimation kept Zero and it wasn't revealed until later that his alien name was Goku and he ends up sticking with that :lol:
Well, Funi's initial dub of DB movie 1 in 1995 with the Vancouver cast kept the Harmony Gold names (as well as a few other name changes), but they also recorded alternate takes using the more familiar dub names.
I guess they decided to keep a few of HG's inventions, though, to minimise the need of alternate takes; Master Roshi, Flying Nimbus, Power Pole, etc. were all Harmony Gold inventions, I'm pretty sure.

And furthermore, we know from the Zero Y El Dragon Magico dub (the short-lived Spanish dub that was re-translated from Harmony Gold's DB dub scripts, both used and unused) that their way of adapting the tournament announcer misreading the kanji of Goku's name (or rather, Zero's name, since we're talking Harmony Gold) in the first tournament arc would have been that he reads the name out as "Goku", and then Yamucha points out that the announcer is reading out his own name, rather than a contestant's name.

And we know that Funi based their early scripting -- at least partially -- on Harmony Gold's scripts, so it's possible that, while your idea wouldn't have exactly happened, something somewhat similar would have likely ended up in the series if Funi had stuck with the Harmony Gold names. :lol:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 pm There could be an alternate timeline where Funimation kept Zero and it wasn't revealed until later that his alien name was Goku and he ends up sticking with that :lol:
Well, Funi's initial dub of DB movie 1 in 1995 with the Vancouver cast kept the Harmony Gold names (as well as a few other name changes), but they also recorded alternate takes using the more familiar dub names.
I guess they decided to keep a few of HG's inventions, though, to minimise the need of alternate takes; Master Roshi, Flying Nimbus, Power Pole, etc. were all Harmony Gold inventions, I'm pretty sure.

And furthermore, we know from the Zero Y El Dragon Magico dub (the short-lived Spanish dub that was re-translated from Harmony Gold's DB dub scripts, both used and unused) that their way of adapting the tournament announcer misreading the kanji of Goku's name (or rather, Zero's name, since we're talking Harmony Gold) in the first tournament arc would have been that he reads the name out as "Goku", and then Yamucha points out that the announcer is reading out his own name, rather than a contestant's name.

And we know that Funi based their early scripting -- at least partially -- on Harmony Gold's scripts, so it's possible that, while your idea wouldn't have exactly happened, something somewhat similar would have likely ended up in the series if Funi had stuck with the Harmony Gold names. :lol:
Wow that's even worse than I thought hahahaha

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Wait, so the HG version was going to call the Tournament Announcer Goku? Or am I misunderstanding here?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 pm Wait, so the HG version was going to call the Tournament Announcer Goku? Or am I misunderstanding here?
You're not misunderstanding at all, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Since the announcer's name is never referenced (except for the Zero Y El Dragon Magico dub of that episode, and thus almost certainly HG's dub script for that episode), it wouldn't have come up much. But yes, in that episode, it would have been stated that the announcer's name is Goku. Meanwhile, the main protagonist would continue to go by the name Zero.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:12 pm Anyway, as for "Goku and Bulma are siblings in this dub"... I wouldn't count on it, but it's entirely possible Harmony Gold made that change for their series after having done the movie a different way. It's hard to say. Though I would say it's unlikely, especially given that clip. :lol:
That makes all the early Goku/Bulma sexual stuff WORSE!

Tom_Servo

Post by Tom_Servo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:52 pm

Another update for you guys.

I am now in contact with a second source, who posted on Usenet in 1993 about taping HG episodes off of Detroit TV. He tells me he knows he still has the tape, and that he will find it within the next few weeks and digitize it for me.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Tom_Servo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:52 pm Another update for you guys.

I am now in contact with a second source, who posted on Usenet in 1993 about taping HG episodes off of Detroit TV. He tells me he knows he still has the tape, and that he will find it within the next few weeks and digitize it for me.

Awesome news! Always wanted to see the HG dub.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Their Mystical Adventure dub is on Youtube in decentish quality if it helps. And you can Curse of the Blood Rubies online in so so quality

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:15 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Their Mystical Adventure dub is on Youtube in decentish quality if it helps. And you can Curse of the Blood Rubies online in so so quality
Cool I will definitely check them out, hopefully this Usenet guy has all five of the dubbed episodes.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku