Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 pm

inninnin wrote:I mean, he can't be the only one on here to have the HG episodes, can he?
Unlikely to be the only one to have the episodes as Kei17 resides in Japan (or did) while the HG dub aired in US so someone shared it with him.

HG's dub of Movies 1 and 3 are out there and easy enough to find but Dragon Ball episodes themselves, hm.. no. Some are after the HG dub while I'm after the Big Green dub of DB Movies 1-4 and GT's TV Special. :P It's possibly just as bad but a Big Green dub of Dragon Ball GT? Count me in!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:HG's dub of Movies 1 and 3 are out there and easy enough to find but Dragon Ball episodes themselves, hm.. no. Some are after the HG dub while I'm after the Big Green dub of DB Movies 1-4 and GT's TV Special. :P It's possibly just as bad but a Big Green dub of Dragon Ball GT? Count me in!
The ONLY part of GT that Big Green dubbed was the special. Also, there's no confirmation that Big Green dubbed DB Movie 4.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 am

Danfun64 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:HG's dub of Movies 1 and 3 are out there and easy enough to find but Dragon Ball episodes themselves, hm.. no. Some are after the HG dub while I'm after the Big Green dub of DB Movies 1-4 and GT's TV Special. :P It's possibly just as bad but a Big Green dub of Dragon Ball GT? Count me in!
The ONLY part of GT that Big Green dubbed was the special. Also, there's no confirmation that Big Green dubbed DB Movie 4.
Yes, just the special but still curious as to how that sounds. Probably just as bad as DBZ Movies 1-10 + 2 Z Specials but I'd watch it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 am

Danfun64 wrote:
I'd have to guess Big Green dubs of DB movie 4 and DBZ movies 10-13 were created but were never released. Considering AB Groupe released toys of characters from the later DBZ movies it seems logical they were gearing up to promote those movies and release them in early 2006 but ultimately couldn't because TV ratings cut Big Green dub's broadcast short.

It's important to remember even taking the OG DB movies out of consideration the movies and specials were still aired out of order so its possible they dubbed everything chronologically and released them in whatever order Toonami UK requested. For example the GT special aired in summer 2005 while DBZ movies 7-9 and the Bardock and Trunks specials aired in October so there was a window of time they could have theoretically dubbed the remaining movies in case a chance to air them arose.

Getting back to the thread, what I'd be more doubtful of is a Harmony Gold dub of DB movie 2 existing since Dragon Ball hadn't been established in the west back then.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I'd have to guess Big Green dubs of DB movie 4 and DBZ movies 10-13 were created but were never released. Considering AB Groupe released toys of characters from the later DBZ movies it seems logical they were gearing up to promote those movies and release them in early 2006 but ultimately couldn't because TV ratings cut Big Green dub's broadcast short.
Keep in mind Funimation had an opening that included Trunks and Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta plus toys like Super Saiyan Goku released via Bandai loooong before they even knew they would get that far.

Getting back to the thread, what I'd be more doubtful of is a Harmony Gold dub of DB movie 2 existing since Dragon Ball hadn't been established in the west back then.
Dragon Ball wasn’t established in the west when they dubbed movies 1 and 3 and the first 5 episodes either.

Although I’m doubtful they dubbed movie 2 as well since if they did why combine movie 1 and 3 into a single presentation and not movie 1 and 2?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Dragon Ball wasn’t established in the west when they dubbed movies 1 and 3 and the first 5 episodes either.
That's because they were the test dub and Harmony Gold had to start somewhere. It definitely seems they had their reasons for thinking movies 1 and 3 would make a better pilot than 1 and 2, but we will probably never know what they were. Clearly the TV movie and 5 episodes didn't do well for Harmony Gold. If they had maybe they would have gone back to dub more material (including movie 2) as AB Groupe did even after the Westwood and Blue Water dubs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Dragon Ball wasn’t established in the west
:eh:

AB Groupe was the first company in the West to dub Dragon Ball, whereas Harmony Gold did it a year later (1989) or so.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/French_dub
https://lostmediawiki.com/Dragon_Ball_( ... ies;_1989)

They (AB Groupe) changed Mr. Satan's name to "Hercules" so FUNimation just went along with that too but they removed the 's' as not to possibly confuse with the Disney character.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: removed the 's' as not to possibly confuse with the Disney character.
You know Disney didn’t create the character of Hercules...right?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: removed the 's' as not to possibly confuse with the Disney character.
You know Disney didn’t create the character of Hercules...right?
Moreover the Disney film wouldn't come out until 1997, well after even the HG dub.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm

I doubt Harmony Gold dubbed episodes will ever really come to fruition, who could really have access to those anymore besides maybe people that worked on the project in the 80s? And they're probably long gone now, either way, either wiped or just lost.

Frankly I'm surprised Harmony Gold is still even in business. Aren't they basically just copyright-trolling Macross and doing some weird real estate money laundering scam nowadays?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Char Aznable wrote:I doubt Harmony Gold dubbed episodes will ever really come to fruition, who could really have access to those anymore besides maybe people that worked on the project in the 80s? And they're probably long gone now, either way, either wiped or just lost.

Frankly I'm surprised Harmony Gold is still even in business. Aren't they basically just copyright-trolling Macross and doing some weird real estate money laundering scam nowadays?
It's really weird, i would have assumed that they would've gone defunct years ago because they really have declined since about the mid '90s if i am not mistaken.

Seriously, aside from licensing and adapting the three separate Macross series and trying to adapt Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump they really haven't done much else of note that i can see. It appears that they have had some shady characters there at some point or another.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Char Aznable wrote:I doubt Harmony Gold dubbed episodes will ever really come to fruition, who could really have access to those anymore besides maybe people that worked on the project in the 80s? And they're probably long gone now, either way, either wiped or just lost.
Who knows. Maybe there's some people out there who might've taped the episodes off of TV back then?

I mean, this guy taped them back in 1990:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/r ... hthvU-ipgJ

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm

inninnin wrote:
Who knows. Maybe there's some people out there who might've taped the episodes off of TV back then?
I mean in the extremely off-chance someone that lived in Philly (which I think was the test market) when these episodes aired that one time that was either intrigued enough or already knew about Dragon Ball and happened to tape them and still has those tapes thirty years later sure, but I just don’t see that happening. Yeah, it’s possible, but it’s extremely unlikely.

EDIT - Too bad we probably couldn’t contact Eddy Hsu now, if he even still has them.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
inninnin wrote:
I mean in the extremely off-chance someone that lived in Philly (which I think was the test market) when these episodes aired that one time that was either intrigued enough or already knew about Dragon Ball and happened to tape them and still has those tapes thirty years later sure, but I just don’t see that happening. Yeah, it’s possible, but it’s extremely unlikely.

EDIT - Too bad we probably couldn’t contact Eddy Hsu now, if he even still has them.
His email address is a .edu one, so I don't think the address would work anymore.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Has anyone seen Zero y El Dragon Magico?

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:07 pm

The Brazilian Gota Mágica dub used footage from Zero y el Dragón Mágico, but names were corrected to the Japanese ones, here's a video from the ending credits proving that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwx5rlGBT2w

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:You know Disney didn’t create the character of Hercules...right?
Regardless, copyright works in strange ways so FUNimation just played it safe. They could have called him Hercules but decided to go with Hercule.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:You know Disney didn’t create the character of Hercules...right?
Regardless, copyright works in strange ways so FUNimation just played it safe. They could have called him Hercules but decided to go with Hercule.
What? No. That has nothing to do with copyright. Disney does not have copyright on a figure from Greek mythology.

Funimation didn’t change Hercules to Hercule to play it safe with non existent copyright

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:02 pm

KBABZ wrote:Considering this was the first English dub of any Dragon Ball content EVER it deserves to be more widely available than it is right now.
I'm going to be that guy.

The first ever English dub of any Dragon Ball material was produced by Frontier Enterprises in the mid-late '80s. It's far more elusive than what Harmony Gold created, as not a shred of it is online nor do we even know which exact piece of the franchise they dubbed.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Considering this was the first English dub of any Dragon Ball content EVER it deserves to be more widely available than it is right now.
I'm going to be that guy.

The first ever English dub of any Dragon Ball material was produced by Frontier Enterprises in the mid-late '80s. It's far more elusive than what Harmony Gold created, as not a shred of it is online nor do we even know which exact piece of the franchise they dubbed.
Wow, this is why I come to Kanzenshuu, for interesting tidbits like this. What the hell is Frontier Enterprises and how did knowledge of this dub even come into existence?

EDIT - I did some preliminary Google searching on this. That's so cool! I had no idea.