Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Considering this was the first English dub of any Dragon Ball content EVER it deserves to be more widely available than it is right now.
I'm going to be that guy.

The first ever English dub of any Dragon Ball material was produced by Frontier Enterprises in the mid-late '80s. It's far more elusive than what Harmony Gold created, as not a shred of it is online nor do we even know which exact piece of the franchise they dubbed.
Wow, this is why I come to Kanzenshuu, for interesting tidbits like this. What the hell is Frontier Enterprises and how did knowledge of this dub even come into existence?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Enterprises

http://forums.lostmediawiki.com/thread/ ... n-ball-dub

https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wik ... _dub_1986)

The timeline most likely point points it to Curse of the Blood Rubies which means that movie has been dubbed in English like 5 goddamn times. (Frontier, Harmony Gold, Funimation/BLT, AB groupe?, Funimation in-house)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm

AB Groupe/Big Green dubbing Curse of the Blood Rubies is confirmed, but only the first half of it is available on the internet.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:

The first ever English dub of any Dragon Ball material was produced by Frontier Enterprises in the mid-late '80s. It's far more elusive than what Harmony Gold created, as not a shred of it is online nor do we even know which exact piece of the franchise they dubbed.
Wow, this is why I come to Kanzenshuu, for interesting tidbits like this. What the hell is Frontier Enterprises and how did knowledge of this dub even come into existence?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Enterprises

http://forums.lostmediawiki.com/thread/ ... n-ball-dub

https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wik ... _dub_1986)

The timeline most likely point points it to Curse of the Blood Rubies which means that movie has been dubbed in English like 5 goddamn times. (Frontier, Harmony Gold, Funimation/BLT, AB groupe?, Funimation in-house)

There was an English dub of Blood Rubies before even Harmony Gold's own version??? Well damn color me intrigued.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:24 pm

KBABZ wrote:Considering this was the first English dub of any Dragon Ball content EVER it deserves to be more widely available than it is right now.

Wow, hey no issues here man I had no idea that even existed! Looks like I need to make an addition to my DB Release Timeline graph thing. Do we know when exactly it was made?

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Hey, a thought just came to my mind: do y'all think it's possible that the HG episodes are on the deep web?

I can't check it out for myself, since I don't have the TOR browser.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:32 pm

inninnin wrote:Hey, a thought just came to my mind: do y'all think it's possible that the HG episodes are on the deep web?

Never checked out the dark web myself but who knows, you never know what you'll find there. If the surface web isn't able to provide episodes with the HG dub, I'd not bet the deep web would either though someone might be selling one episode for $150. lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:[. Do we know when exactly it was made?
Between 1986-1988.

I’m gonna guess 1987. Namely because

A. The company in question mostly dubbed movies after the 70s not tv series and the first Dragon Ball movie premiered in Japan in December 1986 making it next to impossible it had an English dub the same year

B. The guy saying he worked on it said he left Japan (where it was dubbed) by 1988.

This makes 1987 the most probable year unless they dubbed some episodes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote:[. Do we know when exactly it was made?
Between 1986-1988.

I’m gonna guess 1987. Namely because

A. The company in question mostly dubbed movies after the 70s not tv series and the first Dragon Ball movie premiered in Japan in December 1986 making it next to impossible it had an English dub the same year

B. The guy saying he worked on it said he left Japan (where it was dubbed) by 1988.

This makes 1987 the most probable year unless they dubbed some episodes.
Cool, thanks! So on my graph, that means that at that time the anime was going through the Dreamland filler and doing the rest of the RRA Arc over the course of the year, while the manga finished off the Baba Yaga Saga, did the 22nd Budokai, then introduced Piccolo Daimao and killed off Shenron.

..okay next question, does Frontier Enterprises even have a logo?? I can't find one!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

inninnin wrote:Hey, a thought just came to my mind: do y'all think it's possible that the HG episodes are on the deep web?

...really? We're so desperate that we're looking at the deep web to find stuff?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 am

Danfun64 wrote:

I can’t even imagine it would be interesting as it appears Frontier just hired whoever they could find in Tokyo that spoke fluent English.

It’s a cool piece of trivia but Harmony Gold as a dub is a lot more interesting because 1. It featured a lot of future prolific voice actors (most of who would end up working for Saban which is amusing on its own given Saban’s later involvement with Z) 2. It changed names so it was an interesting what if to think we could have grown up with Zero instead of Goku 3. It was the first true attempt at bringing Dragon Ball to the states 10 years before it really made it big in the US.

The Frontier dub? Meh its probably some awkwardly translated English dub of the first movie with a bunch of non-actors that was never intended for wide distribution like the Harmony Gold dub was trying to be.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote:The Frontier dub? Meh its probably some awkwardly translated English dub of the first movie with a bunch of non-actors that was never intended for wide distribution like the Harmony Gold dub was trying to be.
IMO that still doesn't devalue its significant importance. It's sort like the Dragon Boy of English Dubs.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

KBABZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:The Frontier dub? Meh its probably some awkwardly translated English dub of the first movie with a bunch of non-actors that was never intended for wide distribution like the Harmony Gold dub was trying to be.
IMO that still doesn't devalue its significant importance. It's sort like the Dragon Boy of English Dubs.
Of course it’s signficant in Dragon Ball English history but if I had to choose between seeing this thing and the five episodes Harmony Gold dubbed? I would choose the latter no question.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Of course it’s signficant in Dragon Ball English history but if I had to choose between seeing this thing and the five episodes Harmony Gold dubbed? I would choose the latter no question.
Same here, the Harmony Gold episodes however many they dubbed would definitely be a great thing to surface because those as well as the combined movies 1 and 3 dub were the very first piece of DB anything that aired dubbed here. Mind you that this was a full five years before FUNimation was founded and acquired the license to distribute it in the States, as well as before the fansub circuit really took off like it would by the mid '90s.

It's amazing to think at one point that Dragon Ball was known as little more than an small curiosity here, while back over in Japan it was already in full swing by that point in 1989 with DBZ just starting and the manga still going strong. Whereas it took until 1995 for it to be properly introduced state side.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Danfun64 wrote:

Hey...hey hey...you got those Harmony Gold Dragon Ball episodes? I have Bitcoin and I'm also willing to trade in Dogecoin or Anime Labs fansub tapes.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Well, if anyone lives in Philly, or has some friends from there, they could try putting some feelers out to see if anyone might have an episode or two taped.

I imagine that avenue has already been explored, but who knows.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, if anyone lives in Philly, or has some friends from there, they could try putting some feelers out to see if anyone might have an episode or two taped.

At this point any possible leads that pop up should be fully explored, who knows we might get lucky and get some of the episodes archived assuming someone still has them and is willing to share them.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, if anyone lives in Philly, or has some friends from there, they could try putting some feelers out to see if anyone might have an episode or two taped.

I might be able to help! My girlfriend who likes anime a lot lives in Philly and she has a friend who's been watching anime since the bootleg VHS days (he's 50 so it goes back quite a while). She says that if there's anyone she knows who might have some Harmony Gold tapings, it'd be him!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:56 pm

KBABZ wrote:

I might be able to help! My girlfriend who likes anime a lot lives in Philly and she has a friend who's been watching anime since the bootleg VHS days (he's 50 so it goes back quite a while). She says that if there's anyone she knows who might have some Harmony Gold tapings, it'd be him!
The hunt is back on!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

The hunt is back on!
While I'm not sure how it'll go of course, I will make a version that is the HG audio synced up with the appropriate Dragon Box footage, unless there are instances of censorship that would be great to have preserved. If the video isn't completely unusable I'll have version of those with the audio.

Of course that's assuming I get anything from this venture, but still, thinking ahead!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am

I've watched the HG dub of Dragon Ball Movie 1 and 3, and it was kind of a weird dub at times. Not a fan of the voices or the script but wouldn't say no to watching Dragon Ball episodes with the HG dub.

That said, I still prefer the Blue Water and FUNimation dubs. Stephanie Nadolny was great as Kid Goku, didn't really seem a good fit for Kid/Pre-Teen Gohan but replacing her with Colleen Clinkenbeard wasn't a huge improvement, oh well.