Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I might be able to help! My girlfriend who likes anime a lot lives in Philly and she has a friend who's been watching anime since the bootleg VHS days (he's 50 so it goes back quite a while). She says that if there's anyone she knows who might have some Harmony Gold tapings, it'd be him!
The hunt is back on!
While I'm not sure how it'll go of course, I will make a version that is the HG audio synced up with the appropriate Dragon Box footage, unless there are instances of censorship that would be great to have preserved. If the video isn't completely unusable I'll have version of those with the audio.

Of course that's assuming I get anything from this venture, but still, thinking ahead!
If you manage to get ahold of HG tapes, cap them raw and at as high a quality as you can. Any edits you make, including replacing the video track, you should make as a separate thing on your own time; the original contents should be preserved as best as possible. If you need some help capping stuff, I can get you in contact with someone who's an expert at this stuff.

Also, if you do get ahold of HG tapes, please do try getting in contact with Derek Padula -- if you have trouble getting ahold of him, I know a couple of people who know him, so I can try to hook you up.
I know he was on a serious hunt for HG material a while back, and came to a mostly dead end, sadly. But, I imagine if HG material does turn up, he'd be thrilled to know about it.

I don't know if this stuff could ever be on an official release, but if it can, Padula is the best bet for it. On that note, I will add -- if you do get in touch with Padula, please don't share any HG stuff publicly unless he says so; if an official release is possible, everyone already having it from illegal downloads would stunt the idea. This happened to the broadcast audio, and it killed a lot of the interest there was from people like Chris Sabat in putting out an official release with the audio; with it already out there, it's old news, so there's no mystical buzz and exclusivity around it that would work as a major selling point of a release.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: The hunt is back on!
While I'm not sure how it'll go of course, I will make a version that is the HG audio synced up with the appropriate Dragon Box footage, unless there are instances of censorship that would be great to have preserved. If the video isn't completely unusable I'll have version of those with the audio.

Of course that's assuming I get anything from this venture, but still, thinking ahead!
If you manage to get ahold of HG tapes, cap them raw and at as high a quality as you can. Any edits you make, including replacing the video track, you should make as a separate thing on your own time; the original contents should be preserved as best as possible. If you need some help capping stuff, I can get you in contact with someone who's an expert at this stuff.

Also, if you do get ahold of HG tapes, please do try getting in contact with Derek Padula -- if you have trouble getting ahold of him, I know a couple of people who know him, so I can try to hook you up.
I know he was on a serious hunt for HG material a while back, and came to a mostly dead end, sadly. But, I imagine if HG material does turn up, he'd be thrilled to know about it.

I don't know if this stuff could ever be on an official release, but if it can, Padula is the best bet for it. On that note, I will add -- if you do get in touch with Padula, please don't share any HG stuff publicly unless he says so; if an official release is possible, everyone already having it from illegal downloads would stunt the idea. This happened to the broadcast audio, and it killed a lot of the interest there was from people like Chris Sabat in putting out an official release with the audio; with it already out there, it's old news, so there's no mystical buzz and exclusivity around it that would work as a major selling point of a release.
Gotcha, I'll keep those things in mind! Yes, of course having the originals takes priority over any "let's up the picture quality" projects I wanna do.

Who is Derek, may I ask?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:55 pm

The Blue Water and Westwood dubs never got an official release on DVD or Blu-ray but Harmony Gold would? Er, okay.

Now, your reasoning about the JP BA is flawed. If they want to release it officially they will or not, depends if they actually care about quality. Looking at FUNimation releases of Classic Dragon Ball.. they barely do.

Piracy is bad but it's also a means to preserve content that the companies themselves throw away so relying on hopes doesn't really help much.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 am

KBABZ wrote:Who is Derek, may I ask?
The Dao Of Dragon Ball. He was involved in the efforts to find and get HG material, during which he got in contact with one of the guys involved in its original production. Derek Padula is one of the main reasons the currently-found broadcast audio for Dragon Ball was passed to Funimation.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Now, your reasoning about the JP BA is flawed. If they want to release it officially they will or not, depends if they actually care about quality.
Eh. I think when a release rolls around, they'll at least consider it, and I personally would say there's no reason for them not to, so they probably will use it... But there's not the excitement about it among anyone that there was before it leaked.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 am

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Who is Derek, may I ask?
The Dao Of Dragon Ball. He was involved in the efforts to find and get HG material, during which he got in contact with one of the guys involved in its original production. Derek Padula is one of the main reasons the currently-found broadcast audio for Dragon Ball was passed to Funimation.
Ah okay! Google brought me to that website but I didn't know that last part! Looks like Joe (the guy who might have some) didn't have any, but he's gonna ask around to see if anyone might have something. So not looking likely, but you never know until you ask, right?

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Welp, this thread is pretty much dead now... So sad... Oh well.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 am

inninnin wrote:Welp, this thread is pretty much dead now... So sad... Oh well.
What do you mean it's pretty much dead? Give things some time, the thread's less than a month old and getting in contact with people who might have something may take a little time (these things don't always happen overnight for various reasons), if after a month or two pass without any new developments, then we could possibly consider this thread dead but less than a month in? That's jumping the gun quite a bit IMO.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am

superrayman3 wrote:
What do you mean it's pretty much dead? Give things some time, the thread's less than a month old and getting in contact with people who might have something may take a little time (these things don't always happen overnight for various reasons), if after a month or two pass without any new developments, then we could possibly consider this thread dead but less than a month in? That's jumping the gun quite a bit IMO.
I was very excited earlier, haha. But I have a sneaky suspicion that this footage might not exist anymore as far as "fans taping it from TV" goes.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 am

What is "pretty much dead"? Either something is dead "beyond resuscitation" or it's not. People like you slowly erode the meaning of perfectly good words and are responsible for the destruction of our language.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am

KBABZ wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:
I was very excited earlier, haha. But I have a sneaky suspicion that this footage might not exist anymore as far as "fans taping it from TV" goes.
kei is japanese there's no way he could have capped harmony gold dub himself, so if he really have them he surely trade or ask others for that, this means there's someone here that have them into this forum.
why those dub (no matter the dub) is so hard to find are only cause of collector, collectors are ennemy of any kind of preservation

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:08 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:kei is japanese there's no way he could have capped harmony gold dub himself, so if he really have them he surely trade or ask others for that, this means there's someone here that have them into this forum.
why those dub (no matter the dub) is so hard to find are only cause of collector, collectors are ennemy of any kind of preservation
Excuse me? First of all, I didn't mention kei or any other collectors, thank you very much. Second it's completely understandable that nobody would have tapings of this dub considering it was only done in specific regions in the US before the internet 20 years ago in obscure timeslots.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am

KBABZ wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:kei is japanese there's no way he could have capped harmony gold dub himself, so if he really have them he surely trade or ask others for that, this means there's someone here that have them into this forum.
Excuse me? First of all, I didn't mention kei or any other collectors, thank you very much. Second it's completely understandable that nobody would have tapings of this dub considering it was only done in specific regions in the US before the internet 20 years ago in obscure timeslots.
sorry someone said it earlier in the thread and the quote have been removed , it's when someone said that kei is supposed to have all harmony gold dub, what i was saying is that even considering that kei would have never shared them, he can't have recorded them , it's the same things as the BA, kei digitalized tapes, but he is not the one that recorded the broadcast episodes, he gathered tapes and collect them from others , i mean that it's not toward kei that people have to watch but toward the people that provided him

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:56 am

I hate to say it but unless someone comes forward with recordings there's really no way of knowing whether or not anyone out there has full episodes of the Harmony Gold dub.

A few clips don't prove a thing. They could have taped over most of the episode and only digitized the remaining clips. The tapes themselves could be warn or damaged to the point the video is unwatchable. They could have lost the tapes after only digitizing certain clips.

As I said before, I hope that there is someone out there not involved in the Dragon Ball fandom that has full episodes recorded and a tape in watchable condition, but we really won't know until we see it.

I want to get excited when someone says they may know someone, I really do, but I've learned to not expect miracles because high hopes very often only lead to disappointment.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:40 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:.

As I said before, I hope that there is someone out there not involved in the Dragon Ball fandom that has full episodes recorded and a tape in watchable condition, but we really won't know until we see it.

L.
What are the chances someone not involved in the fandom taped those episodes.

The best shot is someone who was a fan of Dragon Ball before Harmony Gold via fansubs lived in the area heard the series was being aired on a local station and taped the episodes.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:What do you mean it's pretty much dead? Give things some time, the thread's less than a month old and getting in contact with people who might have something may take a little time (these things don't always happen overnight for various reasons), if after a month or two pass without any new developments, then we could possibly consider this thread dead but less than a month in? That's jumping the gun quite a bit IMO.
kei is japanese there's no way he could have capped harmony gold dub himself, so if he really have them he surely trade or ask others for that, this means there's someone here that have them into this forum.
He got the clip from a user named takarajima, according to the older thread: The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread.
MasenkoHA wrote:

L.

The best shot is someone who was a fan of Dragon Ball before Harmony Gold via fansubs lived in the area heard the series was being aired on a local station and taped the episodes.
It would have to be someone who was a fan living in the US before fansubs, as the Harmony Gold airings predate those.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:04 am

DrBriefsCat wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I was very excited earlier, haha. But I have a sneaky suspicion that this footage might not exist anymore as far as "fans taping it from TV" goes.
He got the clip from a user named takarajima, according to the older thread: The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread.
MasenkoHA wrote:

L.

It would have to be someone who was a fan living in the US before fansubs, as the Harmony Gold airings predate those.
Well takarajima, much like kei seems to have disappeared, so it seems he is also wary of sharing his rare content. Kei did seemingly claim to have seen the first episode so maybe a full version of it has been preserved, at least I hope so.

Are any of the voice actors on social media. Maybe they have family and friends who recorded the dub to show their support.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
DrBriefsCat wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

Well takarajima, much like kei seems to have disappeared, so it seems he is also wary of sharing his rare content. Kei did seemingly claim to have seen the first episode so maybe a full version of it has been preserved, at least I hope so.

Are any of the voice actors on social media. Maybe they have family and friends who recorded the dub to show their support.
takarajima seems to have dissapeared but not kei, he is on twitter and active, he just don't post here anymore. that's what i was pointed, things is people rely on kei cause kei managed to get all stuffs he wanted so access to others rare stuffs probably by trading but kei is not the one that record the harmony gold dub and same for japanese broadcast recordings, lot of them are from sakusero a japanese guy that lend him tapes (but never return them) it can be read in his blog here
here all tapes that sakusero sent to kei
http://sakusero.jugem.jp/?eid=160
here where kei asked them
http://sakusero.jugem.jp/?eid=145#comments

kei only digitalised the tapes, retain them from others as he never returned them to the original owner

all that to say that kei is just a guy that gathered stuffs from others and just prevent others to get access to them if you want them, you have to find the true source, i am confident that takarajima never dissapear but just take a new identity

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 am

Kei is active elsewhere but seems he prefers to remain mostly under the radar as he just gets requests to share stuff. I mean, in copyright terms, none of it that he has belongs to him but it's still his decision since it's in his possession.

If I remember correctly, we own a license to what we purchase and therefore we never truly own it. Well, we do and we can rip it and whatnot but legally, we shouldn't be doing that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:50 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Kei is active elsewhere but seems he prefers to remain mostly under the radar as he just gets requests to share stuff. I mean, in copyright terms, none of it that he has belongs to him but it's still his decision since it's in his possession.

If I remember correctly, we own a license to what we purchase and therefore we never truly own it. Well, we do and we can rip it and whatnot but legally, we shouldn't be doing that.
things is that he retains the original tapes too, as the owner never get his tapes back so he can't sell them or lend them to someone else...as kei retain the tapes with him

it's not cause of legal issue that things aren't share but cause those people are collectors, collectors gathered everything from others, count on other kindness but it's one side things only
if it was dvd, bluray or official vhs i could totally understand why not sharing them could be important as it is support piracy but we talk about some recordings unreleased, unreleased dub, audios better quality than official so retaining things like that as hostages only to masturbate some kind of ego to say "i have them but not you" is just despicable, idiot and ridiculous. it just show how human kind sucks

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:31 pm

You know what's weird? How the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball keeps all the original Japanese music, even the theme song, when Harmony Gold's other anime releases usually have altered music. Strange.