Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:46 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:36 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:34 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:49 pm One facet of the Harmony Gold dub that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that the script often jams in half a line too many, making it feel like the actors have to rush the last third of their line to get it into the timeframe where nobody else is saying anything. It rather ruins a lot of moments IMO!
It defintly did suffer the silece is boring problem. I so think the two movies were done generally well and the first 2 episodes. I feel like there was a decrease and more adapting as they went tru it
It's not just silence is boring (which to be honest isn't much of a problem with Harmony Gold), it's rushing to squeeze in just a little bit of extra dialogue when it's generally performed more naturally in, say, the Funimation dub. This means the actors are saying their lines with an unnatural quickness to them.
I found it to be as they went on. I didnt really notice it, maybe when I re-watch it. I felt kai suffered that for other reasons (trying to be as accurate/articulate) with gave it a speed racer vibe in some of the line squeezing

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:09 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:46 pm I found it to be as they went on. I didnt really notice it, maybe when I re-watch it. I felt kai suffered that for other reasons (trying to be as accurate/articulate) with gave it a speed racer vibe in some of the line squeezing
I felt that Kai's "problem" was that it ignored mouth movements for script accuracy except on the first and last two syllables. IMO this was a wise choice.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:26 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:36 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:34 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:49 pm One facet of the Harmony Gold dub that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that the script often jams in half a line too many, making it feel like the actors have to rush the last third of their line to get it into the timeframe where nobody else is saying anything. It rather ruins a lot of moments IMO!
It defintly did suffer the silece is boring problem. I so think the two movies were done generally well and the first 2 episodes. I feel like there was a decrease and more adapting as they went tru it
It's not just silence is boring (which to be honest isn't much of a problem with Harmony Gold), it's rushing to squeeze in just a little bit of extra dialogue when it's generally performed more naturally in, say, the Funimation dub. This means the actors are saying their lines with an unnatural quickness to them.
I've noticed this in other dubs from around the same time period, like from Streamline Pictures and LA Hero. The scripts tended to be overwritten.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am

kei17 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:47 pm If you guys want digitization of old videotapes in professional quality, I can help you out, but sending rare tapes oveaseas is somewhat risky and I don't really recommend it, though. TanookiKuribo's copy of the Funi-Zero dub was accidentally lost when he sent it to someone else by FedEx.
What exactly is done in the process? It's not like I can take the tapes to my local TV station for processing anymore since they no longer have Betamax equipment. I got the last of their broken units a couple years back and the last of their working U-Matic decks about a year ago. Nice to have friends in the tech department. But maybe if I lived in a bigger centre it might be possible. Otherwise I have to rely on my own equipment (which some people don't like it seems) or else send the tapes away to people with semi-pro equipment. I can't even get Beta equipment fixed here anymore as the techs have retired or died. Trying to fix them myself is a daunting task, especially for things like component replacement. I can send the equipment away for repair and have done so with good results. But the closest repair centre is 1,500 km away! I can purchase restored equipment but it's very expensive. But it still boils down to trying to glean content off 35 or 40 year old home video tapes that were never meant to be an archive medium to begin with...

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:43 pm

dougo13 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am
kei17 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:47 pm If you guys want digitization of old videotapes in professional quality, I can help you out, but sending rare tapes oveaseas is somewhat risky and I don't really recommend it, though. TanookiKuribo's copy of the Funi-Zero dub was accidentally lost when he sent it to someone else by FedEx.
What exactly is done in the process? It's not like I can take the tapes to my local TV station for processing anymore since they no longer have Betamax equipment. I got the last of their broken units a couple years back and the last of their working U-Matic decks about a year ago. Nice to have friends in the tech department. But maybe if I lived in a bigger centre it might be possible. Otherwise I have to rely on my own equipment (which some people don't like it seems) or else send the tapes away to people with semi-pro equipment. I can't even get Beta equipment fixed here anymore as the techs have retired or died. Trying to fix them myself is a daunting task, especially for things like component replacement. I can send the equipment away for repair and have done so with good results. But the closest repair centre is 1,500 km away! I can purchase restored equipment but it's very expensive. But it still boils down to trying to glean content off 35 or 40 year old home video tapes that were never meant to be an archive medium to begin with...
I use professional-use VCRs, time base correctors, and video recording appliances. The VCR outputs video signals, whose jitter is removed by the time base corrector, and then the recording appliance digitizes the footage and transfers it to the computer.

These are what I mainly use for digitization:

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:43 pm
dougo13 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am
I use professional-use VCRs, time base correctors, and video recording appliances. The VCR outputs video signals, whose jitter is removed by the time base corrector, and then the recording appliance digitizes the footage and transfers it to the computer.

These are what I mainly use for digitization:
Nice list! I'm looking to add some new equipment this year since the Panasonic AG-1980P I acquired from a friend in another city is finicky as to how it wants to work (though it was checked out by local techs and found to be in good working condition). Probably spring for a DVHS deck and another Betamax to go along with the units I already have. I had my SLHF750 fixed a few months back so that was a plus. A 2100? Nice. I still have a good working C-100 8mm deck but I'd spring for a restored unit only to transfer family and convention footage I shot over the years. An outboard TBC might be good unless I can loop the video through one on a DVHS deck. Shame you can't do that with the AG-1980P. I was making recordings to the computer but have stopped now. Mostly I transfer to my Panasonic 640 and 650 DVD recorders. I'd love to find a 660 to complete my collection. Will probably get newer computer capture hardware when I upgrade my computer system later this year. Been out of that so I'll have to have a look and see what is out there these days. PM me if you are looking for something...

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:09 am

Actually, that's Pioneer DVR-640 and 650 DVD recorders. I have Panasonic recorders as well but don't use them anymore...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 am

This is a dumb question: in the Movie 1/3 dub, were there any eyecatches made for the ad breaks like there were for the five show episodes?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 am

Hey guys, check it out! I commissioned vector artist HowXu on deviantART to make a reconstructed version of the Harmony Gold Dragon Ball logo as seen in the eyecatches, so that I can use it in my reconstruction project! It still needs some tweaking regarding the colour, but I think it looks really accurate! The animation of the Dragon Ball sweeping across to reveal the logo is also there, the only thing I need to add is the sheen that runs along the bottom edge of the logo!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:12 am

That’s really dope :clap:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:12 am That’s really dope :clap:
Thank you! The only thing I have left before I zip to the finish line is finding the font used in the title cards. STILL have no idea what it is. Anyone got any ideas?

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:56 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 am This is a dumb question: in the Movie 1/3 dub, were there any eyecatches made for the ad breaks like there were for the five show episodes?
They sure did.
KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 am Hey guys, check it out! I commissioned vector artist HowXu on deviantART to make a reconstructed version of the Harmony Gold Dragon Ball logo as seen in the eyecatches, so that I can use it in my reconstruction project! It still needs some tweaking regarding the colour, but I think it looks really accurate! The animation of the Dragon Ball sweeping across to reveal the logo is also there, the only thing I need to add is the sheen that runs along the bottom edge of the logo!
This is very cool. It's nice to see a small restoration project like this and honestly it seems like it would be pretty easy and quick not to mention fun. Would much rather do this then the daunting task of editing every episode for the Blue Water and Westwood dubs which is an ordeal to say the least. :crazy:
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:21 pm

DBGod wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:56 pm They sure did.
Were they any different than the ones from the episodes themselves?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm

The double feature? I don't think it had any eyecatchers. The WGBS indents don't count
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm The double feature? I don't think it had any eyecatchers. The WGBS indents don't count
Yeah I just downloaded the Harmony Gold dub of Movies 1/3 and saw the unique eyecatches from the station. Ah the late 80s!

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:03 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 am Hey guys, check it out! I commissioned vector artist HowXu on deviantART to make a reconstructed version of the Harmony Gold Dragon Ball logo as seen in the eyecatches, so that I can use it in my reconstruction project! It still needs some tweaking regarding the colour, but I think it looks really accurate! The animation of the Dragon Ball sweeping across to reveal the logo is also there, the only thing I need to add is the sheen that runs along the bottom edge of the logo!

Wow! You guys are so awesome for doing this! Best of luck with the project!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:09 am

DUDE THAT IS AWESOME

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 am

Thats cool! Is it a dragon ball graphic? (I know it's ''supposed'' to be) the VHS rips make it look like and orange-yellow circle with no starts, similar to what they did to the logo by painting out the Japanese text under "Dragon Ball"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:01 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 am Thats cool! Is it a dragon ball graphic? (I know it's ''supposed'' to be) the VHS rips make it look like and orange-yellow circle with no starts, similar to what they did to the logo by painting out the Japanese text under "Dragon Ball"
It's taken from the opening, in the shot of Goku leaning up into frame during the sunrise and the four-star ball rushes in and freezes on his cheek. I figured it was gonna be the Four-Star Ball and this one to me works better in the eyecatch than the one in the title card. It doesn't quite match; if you pay close attention you'll notice that the white detail is on the opposite side in the original footage, so maybe I'll have to mirror it.

As for the yellow look, I presume that's meant to be like when Goku's ball glows at the start of episode 1. I suppose I could add that, although it'll never look quite the same as that wonderful "optical" look you can only get by doing the real deal.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:28 pm

I am the type of person who doesn't like recreations unless there is no possibility of restoring the original materials, so while these recreated images are interesting, I think at this point, we should focus more on gathering, preserving, and restoring the remaining original sources as far as possible.
For your information, the early episodes of the Latin American Spanish dub (Cloverway) still uses the footage inherited from Zero y el Dragôn Mágico, so it's the very same transfer as that of the Harmony Gold dub.