Why did Funimation redub Maron’s voice actress for the remastered sets

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Why did Funimation redub Maron’s voice actress for the remastered sets

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Just something I found kind of odd on Funimation’s part

In the 99/00 broadcast dub she was voiced by Daphne Gere

In the 2007 “remastered” dub for the the orange bricks all of her audio was redubbed by Leah Clark.

Any known reason for this?

Sure there were few other cases of Funimation redubbing their own actors for the remastered sets like Brice Armstrong replacing Dale Kelly Captain Ginyu. Kyle Hebert replacing Dale Kelly as the narrator. Laura Bailey replacing Ceyli Delgadillo etc but in those cases it appeared it was done to be consistent with the 2005 in-house redub of the first 67 episodes Where I assume the original Funimation actors were no longer available for those episodes so they went ahead and redubbed those characters lines in 2007 in season 3 for consistency.

But the random switch for Maron? I can’t imagine it was an acting quality thing. Especially since by that point as far as I recall other than that by that point of the dub the only difference between the original broadcast audio and remastered audio was Kyle Hebert as narrator replacing Dale Kelly and Chris Sabat redubbing a few Vegeta lines to sound less Brian Drummond-yish

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why did Funimation redub Maron’s voice actress for the remastered sets

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Weird part is, is that I think I recall hearing Daphene Geres voice once or twice on the English + kikuchi track, but on the Faulconer track it was the new recording

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:12 pm

All of Vegeta's lines in the Garlic Jr. arc were redubbed, actually. But yeah, Maron's voice change is pretty random. Same thing happened with two of the Spice Boys (Spice himself and Mustard). Also, much later the Other World Tournament Announcer was completely redubbed as well, though this seems to have a more clear reason, namely having his VA from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 reprise his role.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:04 pm

Is there a complete list of changes made for the orange bricks?

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:49 pm

This is why I wish there could be a Rock the Dragon follow up, where we get the 99/00 Toonami broadcast versions of the Freeza through Cell arcs. Of course, the amount of people who would be interested in such a release is so small, it’ll never happen.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Is there a complete list of changes made for the orange bricks?
We need one better than that.

There is the audio of the old singles (which in some IIRC Cell Games episodes were already pre-altered with the Dale Kelly narration replaced with Brice Armstrong), the Orange Brick revision, the Funi Dragon Boxes and Level sets (the audio mix of which are both apparently from the same source as the OB sound mix), and finally the Season Blu-ray mix which apparently was further altered.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:This is why I wish there could be a Rock the Dragon follow up, where we get the 99/00 Toonami broadcast versions of the Freeza through Cell arcs. Of course, the amount of people who would be interested in such a release is so small, it’ll never happen.
Isn't that essentially what the DBZ singles are?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 pm

The partal re dub for the Orange bricks went up through the end of the Garlic Jr. arc in the case of Sabat with Vegeta as well as Sonny Strait's voice as Krillin, then once it gets to Trunks' arrival and onward the redubbing stopped and he goes back to the way Vegeta initially sounded with the quasi Drummond impression as they pretty much left everything about the same minus some miner alterations and omissions as it was on Toonami and the old single DVD's minus the Kelly to Herbert announcer change. I believe in this particular run of episodes with the OB's they also re dubbed the Spice Boys and maybe some of Gohan's lines but i could be wrong.

It's so weird going from the deeper 2005/2007 version of Sabat's Vegeta to the original raspier version of him from back in Season 3. :crazy:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
PacificOceanDub wrote:This is why I wish there could be a Rock the Dragon follow up, where we get the 99/00 Toonami broadcast versions of the Freeza through Cell arcs. Of course, the amount of people who would be interested in such a release is so small, it’ll never happen.
Was just going to say that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
Was just going to say that.
If you ask me personally i don't see what the point was in the quasi re dubbing after they had re done the first two seasons for the Ultimate Uncut run in 2005. Even with revising over some of their green and raw original takes from '99 it still didn't completely address that it's still very much an inaccurate dub from when the in house cast had first started out on dubbing the show, if they had been serious then a total redubbing would have made more sense rather than the inconsistent here and there work they actually did starting on the Orange bricks and then changing ever so slightly for each subsequent release after that.

Of course, i figure they probably didn't want to commit to a full re dub so they simply stuck with the selective dialogue replacing which still proved to be very little of an improvement.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:15 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:The partal re dub for the Orange bricks went up through the end of the Garlic Jr. arc in the case of Sabat with Vegeta as well as Sonny Strait's voice as Krillin, then once it gets to Trunks' arrival and onward the redubbing stopped and he goes back to the way Vegeta initially sounded with the quasi Drummond impression as they pretty much left everything about the same minus some miner alterations and omissions as it was on Toonami and the old single DVD's minus the Kelly to Herbert announcer change. I believe in this particular run of episodes with the OB's they also re dubbed the Spice Boys and maybe some of Gohan's lines but i could be wrong.

It's so weird going from the deeper 2005/2007 version of Sabat's Vegeta to the original raspier version of him from back in Season 3. :crazy:
Krillin was only redubbed up until Episode 92, actually, a few episodes before his death. None of Gohan's lines were redubbed after Episode 79, though some alternate takes and previously unused lines made it in.

Vegeta's voice change is jarring, but it would've been way worse had it not been redubbed at all. They probably figured he sounded close enough in the Cell arc, unlike in the Frieza arc where he had originally consistently done a Drummond impression.
Danfun64 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Is there a complete list of changes made for the orange bricks?

There is the audio of the old singles (which in some IIRC Cell Games episodes were already pre-altered with the Dale Kelly narration replaced with Brice Armstrong), the Orange Brick revision, the Funi Dragon Boxes and Level sets (the audio mix of which are both apparently from the same source as the OB sound mix), and finally the Season Blu-ray mix which apparently was further altered.
As far as I know, the Blu-Rays only fixed some errors, like restoring the missing SFX in that one Season 2 episode, Goku's weird "Hey, mister" line to Yajirobe in Season 4, and Maron's redubbed voice now being on both audio tracks.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
If you ask me personally i don't see what the point was in the quasi re dubbing after they had re done the first two seasons for the Ultimate Uncut run in 2005. Even with revising over some of their green and raw original takes from '99 it still didn't completely address that it's still very much an inaccurate dub from when the in house cast had first started out on dubbing the show, if they had been serious then a total redubbing would have made more sense rather than the inconsistent here and there work they actually did starting on the Orange bricks and then changing ever so slightly for each subsequent release after that.

Vocal consistency. It would have been weird if between episode 67 and 68 (which was now part of Funimation’s newly designated season 2 even though Japanese episode 68/Broadcast dub episode 54 was the start of season 3 when the show aired) suddenly Gohan went from annoyingly nasally to annoyingly raspy. Sabat’s Vegeta went from his more identifiable voice to a bad Brian Drummond impression. The Narrator and Ginyu suddenly turned into Dale Kelly instead of Kyle Hebert and Brian Armstrong etc. You still have problems like the obvious Sean Schemmel at his most “polished” up that point suddenly not being able to act his way out of a paper bag and the switch from Johnson to Faulconer.

I would have preferred they left the dub alone and not try to erase the Ocean cast performances in season 1 and 2 and left their own in-house work alone instead of trying to half ass polish a turd. The in-house redub episode 1-67 and “remastering” of episode 68 onward always came off as revisionist history to me

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:05 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:The partal re dub for the Orange bricks went up through the end of the Garlic Jr. arc in the case of Sabat with Vegeta as well as Sonny Strait's voice as Krillin, then once it gets to Trunks' arrival and onward the redubbing stopped and he goes back to the way Vegeta initially sounded with the quasi Drummond impression as they pretty much left everything about the same minus some miner alterations and omissions as it was on Toonami and the old single DVD's minus the Kelly to Herbert announcer change. I believe in this particular run of episodes with the OB's they also re dubbed the Spice Boys and maybe some of Gohan's lines but i could be wrong.

Krillin was only redubbed up until Episode 92, actually, a few episodes before his death. None of Gohan's lines were redubbed after Episode 79, though some alternate takes and previously unused lines made it in.

Vegeta's voice change is jarring, but it would've been way worse had it not been redubbed at all. They probably figured he sounded close enough in the Cell arc, unlike in the Frieza arc where he had originally consistently done a Drummond impression.
Danfun64 wrote:

As far as I know, the Blu-Rays only fixed some errors, like restoring the missing SFX in that one Season 2 episode, Goku's weird "Hey, mister" line to Yajirobe in Season 4, and Maron's redubbed voice now being on both audio tracks.
True, but then again it's been so long since i watched the show with that particular track on my Dragon Box DVDs so i forgot exactly which performances were re dubbed where.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:17 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Vocal consistency. It would have been weird if between episode 67 and 68 (which was now part of Funimation’s newly designated season 2 even though Japanese episode 68/Broadcast dub episode 54 was the start of season 3 when the show aired) suddenly Gohan went from annoyingly nasally to annoyingly raspy. Sabat’s Vegeta went from his more identifiable voice to a bad Brian Drummond impression. The Narrator and Ginyu suddenly turned into Dale Kelly instead of Kyle Hebert and Brian Armstrong etc. You still have problems like the obvious Sean Schemmel at his most “polished” up that point suddenly not being able to act his way out of a paper bag and the switch from Johnson to Faulconer.

I would have preferred they left the dub alone and not try to erase the Ocean cast performances in season 1 and 2 and left their own in-house work alone instead of trying to half ass polish a turd. The in-house redub episode 1-67 and “remastering” of episode 68 onward always came off as revisionist history to me
Yeah that's true, for instance you have the one episode where it's Schemmel's circa 2005 Goku then in the very next it's his original 1999 Goku speaking with Sabat's revised 2007 Vegeta. Epic levels of jarring there, but that is one of the prime examples of the half assed nature of that re dubbing they undertook for the Orange Bricks and onwards.

On your second point, yes it was mostly because they had basically all but cast the Ocean Group's stuff to the side and wanted it to consistently have the same cast all the way though of course given how inexperienced the in house cast was when they first started it isn't consistent with the UUE redub where they had about six years of development and gotten a better idea of where to go about portraying their characters compared to the beginning. It would have been better if they'd just left the 1999-2003 dub stuff as is because there was only so much that could be done and even the handful of things they did better (i.e. elimination of some of the corniest lines from the old dub) it still felt like a half baked product.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:35 am

Is the rumor that they were gonna go back with the Ocean cast (pre-split) and re-dub the episodes to be uncut true?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:44 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Is the rumor that they were gonna go back with the Ocean cast (pre-split) and re-dub the episodes to be uncut true?
I believe there may have potentially been something planned at some point between when FUNimation and Saban parted ways near the end of edited season 2 and when the in house dub started production in late 1998/early 1999, but of course being they were a pretty small company at that point without someone to back them financially they lost the access to the Ocean Group cast so if this was being floated it most likely died pretty quickly.

I know i read somewhere on one of the old archived websites from the time that mentioned them considering making an uncut version with the original music back in like 1997, of course it ended up taking about a decade for that to actually happen and the only things to come with the original Kikuchi score before then was the first three Z movies in conjunction with then Pioneer Entertainment which later became Geneon.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:26 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Um, NO. The singles do not correspond to what aired on Cartoon Network, as the singles are uncut while the Toonami broadcasts were edited (with some changed dialogue, from "Bite me" to "Turkey", "Friggin Genius" to "Absolute Genius" (both examples early on in Season 3) to Grand Kai sending Goku and Pikkon to HFIL instead of Hell). Not to mention the change from Dale Kelly to Brice Armstrong in those Cell Games episodes, or how the singles don't have all the NEP's intact.

In fairness, they're a lot closer to what aired on Toonami compared to ANY of the releases starting with the Orange Bricks.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:50 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Is the rumor that they were gonna go back with the Ocean cast (pre-split) and re-dub the episodes to be uncut true?
Gen Fukunaga stated something like that I believe back in the day. It wasn’t so much he said they were going back to the cast iirc just that they “wanted” to record an alternate uncut dub that followed the Japanese version with music. And the Ocean cast was the cast at the time he was blowing that smoke. It didn’t seem like it was ever true just something he would say to appease purist. The fact that the closest thing to this was the three movies with Pioneer (Pioneer reaaaaly should have taken over the dub with the Ocean cast but alas) and the fact that once the show moved to Toonami and Funimation was releasing uncut versions to home video before broadcast that was still wildly off script, had childish dialog, and replacement uh “music” kind of proved he was lying.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 am

There's also a lot of other little differences between the original dub audio and season set audio. Evidently, for the season sets - probably the only way they could pull of the Japanese music/dub track - they used an "unfinished" copy of the vocal tracks, so there's a few bits of dialogue that weren't there on the original release being present on the season sets - like Goku's heroic speech before he kills Buu or Vegeta's "I'll never fight again" line. They also pitched down Justin Cook's voice for Super Buu in the original dub, but on the Bricks his voice is unaltered. Same with Coffee Vegetto - pitched up in the original dub audio, normal pitch on the Bricks.

There's also a few bits where the dub music selection is different, more frequently in the Ginyu episodes. I recall Scott Morgan mentioning that there was one particular scene - Goku's nightmare about the Androids, I think - that was pretty controversial behind the scenes because the Faulconer folks had composed a new track for it and placed it there, but Funimation altered it on the final release and used a different track. But on the season sets, it uses the song they'd originally made and placed there.

Also there's a weird bit where Chris Sabat correctly pronounces Kaioken during the fight with Goku, but because it's inconsistent with the rest of the dub they fixed it to Kayoken...except it was only fixed on the Japanese music track :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler