Could you see Goku as Superman or vice-versa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Could you see Goku as Superman or vice-versa?

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 am

With the many things we've seen on Goku and Superman topics, be it fighting or teaming up, thought I'd ask while not to say there should be recasts or anything, could you see any actor who voiced Goku voice Superman or picture any actor who has played Superman voice Goku? And for you guys who have a different native tongue than English or Japanese, you can count them as well. Myself, can kinda see Mr. Schemmel or Mr. Corlett pulling off Supes. Not sure who for the other way around, but maybe George Newbern using his Sephiroth voice for Goku Black. Thoughts?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Could you see Goku as Superman or vice-versa?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 am

I know Schemmel is when Funimation got balls deep into trying to pass Goku off as Superman but nah.

Ian Corlett ehhh maybe?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 am

Not really. They are similar but also completely different. Goku is too immature and battle obsessed to be like Superman.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Not really. They are similar but also completely different. Goku is too immature and battle obsessed to be like Superman.
I meant could you see any actors who have played each character play the other character.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Not really. They are similar but also completely different. Goku is too immature and battle obsessed to be like Superman.
I meant could you see any actors who have played each character play the other character.
Mmm not really.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:32 am

I don't know nearly enough about all the various voice actors who have played Superman in animation; but off the top of my head, of the ones who's voices I can clearly remember, I would say probably not. Nothing in any animated/voice incarnation of Superman that I've ever seen has given me anything even vaguely resembling vibes of "innocently childlike and down home martial arts mountain boy/man".

Conversely though, while most English language incarnations of Goku HAVE gone for a distinctly Superman-esque vibe (to go along with FUNi's "reversioning" of the series from a martial arts fantasy to a sci fi superhero team series), I'd probably only go with Ian Corlett as a possible Superman voice, since he generally does a passable enough "generic Saturday morning kids' cartoon superhero" kinda performance.

Schemmel's just a bad, bad actor in general on top of his take being wrong for the Goku role. While its definitely true that what he's usually going for with his Goku voice WOULD be far more appropriate for Superman, Superman as a character just generally deserves an at least PASSABLY decent actor; which Schemmel just isn't. He's simply WAY too inorganic and forced most of the time, and would probably be painful to listen to especially in any action or fight scene.

Of all the English Goku actors, Corlett's the only one who's both a passably okay enough actor AND generally versed in doing the whole "square jawed, all-American hero" thing to make for a suitably decent enough Superman.

Again though, the problem with threads like this in general is that Superman and Goku really just don't have virtually ANYTHING even remotely, vaguely in common with one another whatsoever. Closest they got as a link is the fact that Goku's backstory (at least in its original incarnation, before Minus made it a bit more overtly on the nose) is kind of a VERY vague riff/inversion on Superman's origin. Beyond that though, both characters are LIGHTYEARS divorced from one another on just about every possible level imaginable, and the only reason why they constantly get compared against one another in fandom is because:

A) The English dub from FUNimation recast both Goku as a character, and Dragon Ball as a broader story, in a MUCH more DC Comics Superhero-esque light

and B) that fucking Wizard Magazine "Goku vs Superman" article from way, way back that turned the concept into the long running meme its been for much of the past 15+ years.

At this point it just continues to be a thing based on the sheer, raw inertia of DB fandom's generally dub-ified/martial arts & Wuxia illiterate misread of the series as "Japanese anime superheroes in funky kung fu uniforms" which combined with the one link in their origins has lead to this idea that Goku and Superman are somehow or other direct Eastern & Western equivalents of one another, representing two different sides of the same coin from across the Pacific. When in reality, their pairing overall in the collective minds of fandom is a complete and utter non-sequitur that's rooted in both a poor foreign language adaptation of DB as well as cultural ignorance of Eastern martial arts fantasy fiction as a broader genre.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:48 am

The whole Goku = Superman thing is a past-it meme at this point. Everyone brings up the "hope of the universe" line from the Bad Dub, but I never got a Superman vibe from Schemmel even in those days. The dialogue was hero'd up, but the delivery gave me more of a "90s cartoon hero" vibe. Not quite Ninja Turtles, but in the same ballpark if you know what I mean. Nowadays he's pretty much playing a manchild. For what it's worth, he voiced Batman in a mobile game and the Super Saiyan 4/early Goku Black voice was very Christian Bale Batman-esque.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 am

Kataphrut wrote:The whole Goku = Superman thing is a past-it meme at this point. Everyone brings up the "hope of the universe" line from the Bad Dub, but I never got a Superman vibe from Schemmel even in those days. The dialogue was hero'd up, but the delivery gave me more of a "90s cartoon hero" vibe. Not quite Ninja Turtles, but in the same ballpark if you know what I mean. Nowadays he's pretty much playing a manchild. For what it's worth, he voiced Batman in a mobile game and the Super Saiyan 4/early Goku Black voice was very Christian Bale Batman-esque.
Neither did I. Goku has never been Superman in the dub, the scenes and things he does do not ever get to that point. Not just that "ally to good, nightmare to you" is not something Superman would say literally in that fashion. Like "nightmare to you" sounds bit anti-heroish.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:The whole Goku = Superman thing is a past-it meme at this point. Everyone brings up the "hope of the universe" line from the Bad Dub, but I never got a Superman vibe from Schemmel even in those days. The dialogue was hero'd up, but the delivery gave me more of a "90s cartoon hero" vibe. Not quite Ninja Turtles, but in the same ballpark if you know what I mean. Nowadays he's pretty much playing a manchild. For what it's worth, he voiced Batman in a mobile game and the Super Saiyan 4/early Goku Black voice was very Christian Bale Batman-esque.
Neither did I. Goku has never been Superman in the dub, the scenes and things he does do not ever get to that point. Not just that "ally to good, nightmare to you" is not something Superman would say literally in that fashion. Like "nightmare to you" sounds bit anti-heroish.
Superman has made some pretty harsh threats against villains over the years. He has even carried them out on occasion.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm

No, Goku is a happy-go-lucky fella who feels like beating the strongest guy whereas Superman is a superhero.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Ian Corlett would be a better Barry Allen than Superman.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Conversely though, while most English language incarnations of Goku HAVE gone for a distinctly Superman-esque vibe (to go along with FUNi's "reversioning" of the series from a martial arts fantasy to a sci fi superhero team series), I'd probably only go with Ian Corlett as a possible Superman voice, since he generally does a passable enough "generic Saturday morning kids' cartoon superhero" kinda performance.
Kunzait_83 wrote:Of all the English Goku actors, Corlett's the only one who's both a passably okay enough actor AND generally versed in doing the whole "square jawed, all-American hero" thing to make for a suitably decent enough Superman.
Can you think of any specific roles of Corlett's that give you this impression, particularly the bolded part? The only roles I'm really familiar with from him are Goku, Cheetor from Beast Wars, and Mega Man. Superman: The Animated Series might have been a Saturday morning cartoon (I have no idea), but I don't remember Tim Daly giving any overly exaggerated, "cartoony" kind of performances. DC animated series from that era played it pretty straight for the most part. Superman himself is also a generally serious character, he's saddled with a lot of responsibility and doesn't bear the load through quips like a Spider-Man or Flash might.

Corlett on the other hand is often known for more energetic, naive, youthful sounding characters and performances. I could imagine him possibly playing the Clark Kent part of the character, but Superman might be out of his range.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 am

And no, as much as I like Tim Daly and George Newbern as Superman, they would be pretty out of place as Goku. Superman is a much more mature character than Goku is.

Sean Schemmel would be a much better Captain Marvel than Superman. Hell, even Kyle Hebert, who plays Gohan, could pull off that character too.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.