Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am

I hate posting someone else's pictures, but I wanted to see if anyone knew whether these looked legitimate.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:31 pm

bernhard90 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 am Ever seen this before? https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1469981104

Looks like dragon box set, but different. And missing box 7.
Bootleg. This is what they’re supposed to look like (scroll down to “DVD book designs” and hover over them to see the inside design).
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:50 am

For reference, bootleg orange bricks

Image Image

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Sorry for the tripple post (cant edit) but a cool bootleg set from ebay

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi, can someone tell me the quickest way to know if my dbz orange bricks are bootleg? I bought the whole set from Ebay, cheaper than Amazon, but I think it was from a US seller (bought it some months ago). I have tested a couple episodes from the first season, everything appears to be normal. What should I be looking at?

Edit: Damn, I don't have the cardboard where the booklets of the seasons were located, does that mean they are bootleg? I know the booklets themselves are not there anymore, but they should have a cardboard or whatever it's called, when you open the slipcase, right?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:30 pm

anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:30 pm Hi, can someone tell me the quickest way to know if my dbz orange bricks are bootleg? I bought the whole set from Ebay, cheaper than Amazon, but I think it was from a US seller (bought it some months ago). I have tested a couple episodes from the first season, everything appears to be normal. What should I be looking at?

Edit: Damn, I don't have the cardboard where the booklets of the seasons were located, does that mean they are bootleg? I know the booklets themselves are not there anymore, but they should have a cardboard or whatever it's called, when you open the slipcase, right?
Put the disc in your PC and look at the filesize if it's 4GB or below (DVD5) it's almost certainly a bootleg, if it's closer to 8GB (DVD9) then it's more than likely legit, most bootleggers usually don't care about things like filesize or quality so unless you got a bootleg where the bootleggers actually care about things like filesize and quality, if it's DVD9 you should generally be okay.

Edit: You should also look at the bottom of the disc near the innermost part of the disc, if you see numbers and markings from a pressing plant then it's almost certainly legit, consumer recordable DVDs don't have such numbers and markings on them so that may also help determine whether it's legit or bootleg although I may be wrong about this one.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:41 pm

superrayman3 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:30 pm
anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:30 pm Hi, can someone tell me the quickest way to know if my dbz orange bricks are bootleg? I bought the whole set from Ebay, cheaper than Amazon, but I think it was from a US seller (bought it some months ago). I have tested a couple episodes from the first season, everything appears to be normal. What should I be looking at?

Put the disc in your PC and look at the filesize if it's 4GB or below (DVD5) it's almost certainly a bootleg, if it's closer to 8GB (DVD9) then it's more than likely legit, most bootleggers usually don't care about things like filesize or quality so unless you got a bootleg where the bootleggers actually care about things like filesize and quality, if it's DVD9 you should generally be okay.

Edit: You should also look at the bottom of the disc near the innermost part of the disc, if you see numbers and markings from a pressing plant then it's almost certainly legit, consumer recordable DVDs don't have such numbers and markings on them so that may also help determine whether it's legit or bootleg although I may be wrong about this one.
Hi thanks for the answer, they are bootleg (4 point something gb, my dragon ball blue brick dvd has 7.4 gb I think that means it is not bootleg, but the orange bricks yes)

The One and Only Nam

Post by The One and Only Nam » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:43 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 pm Sorry for the tripple post (cant edit) but a cool bootleg set from ebay
I don't think they are bootlegs. Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIIypkNhw4

The guy stated he bought them from his local Walmart. I believe the set is just a different variation of the Complete Set. So it seems highly unlikely you have bootlegs.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:50 am

The One and Only Nam wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:43 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 pm Sorry for the tripple post (cant edit) but a cool bootleg set from ebay
I don't think they are bootlegs. Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIIypkNhw4

The guy stated he bought them from his local Walmart. I believe the set is just a different variation of the Complete Set. So it seems highly unlikely you have bootlegs.
Thats really weird that they made spacific packaging for this. Interesting! Thank you!

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:46 pm

I got this set to! Though a official retailer!

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:05 am

I got bootlegs if Super volumes 1-4. I had slacked at collecting them and when I decided to start none of the stores in my area sold them anymore and they were marked way up online. So I turned to eBay and found a lot of them for $70. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. When I got them I at first thought I had the real deal. The packaging was extremely well done. I looked at the discs though and their almost black on the back. None of my other Blu-rays look like that so I got fakes.

It’s fine though. They work just fine in my Blu-ray players and still have all the same features as the legitimate copies. I’m not going to double dip now that they’re back in stores.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:10 am

Travis Touchdown wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:05 am I got bootlegs if Super volumes 1-4. I had slacked at collecting them and when I decided to start none of the stores in my area sold them anymore and they were marked way up online. So I turned to eBay and found a lot of them for $70. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. When I got them I at first thought I had the real deal. The packaging was extremely well done. I looked at the discs though and their almost black on the back. None of my other Blu-rays look like that so I got fakes.

It’s fine though. They work just fine in my Blu-ray players and still have all the same features as the legitimate copies. I’m not going to double dip now that they’re back in stores.
Would it be possible take screen shots? I had the bootleg dvds for a bit.so i wantrd to.see how the blurays were

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:51 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:50 am

Thats really weird that they made spacific packaging for this. Interesting! Thank you!
Idk, it kinda looks like the new Orange Bricks I saw at Walmart around the time Broly came out.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:57 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am
I hate posting someone else's pictures, but I wanted to see if anyone knew whether these looked legitimate.
Not gonna lie, if those are unauthorized, then those are some pretty convincing covers. Pretty well done.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:28 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:51 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:50 am

Idk, it kinda looks like the new Orange Bricks I saw at Walmart around the time Broly came out.
Didnt know those had differnent packing too! Much prefered over the stacked discs. Wich theyd change the master to SD 30th sets just to be consistent across the releases

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 am

Guys! I'm desperate, I had some apparently bootleg orange bricks, as I mentioned before, so I ordered another 9 season set, this time from amazon. But I think they are bootleg also! :( Can someone check if their disc 1 season 1, when you put it into the pc, has like 4.19 gb? If it doesn't then I have 2 full sets of orange bricks that are bootlegged! In which case, could someone tell me where on earth to acquire the "normal" orange bricks? :cry:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am

anubisj wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 am Guys! I'm desperate, I had some apparently bootleg orange bricks, as I mentioned before, so I ordered another 9 season set, this time from amazon. But I think they are bootleg also! :( Can someone check if their disc 1 season 1, when you put it into the pc, has like 4.19 gb? If it doesn't then I have 2 full sets of orange bricks that are bootlegged! In which case, could someone tell me where on earth to acquire the "normal" orange bricks? :cry:
Was it sold by amazon? If so (and it is bootleg) id suggest contacting amazon for a full refund

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am
anubisj wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 am Guys! I'm desperate, I had some apparently bootleg orange bricks, as I mentioned before, so I ordered another 9 season set, this time from amazon. But I think they are bootleg also! :( Can someone check if their disc 1 season 1, when you put it into the pc, has like 4.19 gb? If it doesn't then I have 2 full sets of orange bricks that are bootlegged! In which case, could someone tell me where on earth to acquire the "normal" orange bricks? :cry:
Was it sold by amazon? If so (and it is bootleg) id suggest contacting amazon for a full refund
Just checked, sold by biz wiz llc; are you sure they are bootleg?

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:09 pm

One thing I’ve always wondered about my dragon box z volume 7 set was that it is slightly taller than the rest. I’ve wondered if it could be a bootleg or if it was just how the 7th volume was.