Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by bernhard90 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi guys,

I bought all Dragon Ball seasons 1-5. But I'm questioning myself, is this the real deal or fake/bootleg?
Didn't know these were avaiable so small. The original blue-bricks got the nice looking cover on the back.

Also the disc are pretty pale and not a dark green color. Can some one tell me?

Imagefoto by Bernhard I, on Flickr

Imagefoto 1 by Bernhard I, on Flickr

Imagefoto 2 by Bernhard I, on Flickr

Imagefoto 3 by Bernhard I, on Flickr

Imagefoto 4 by Bernhard I, on Flickr
Last edited by bernhard90 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Unless the PAL releases use transparent cases, that's definitely not what the R1 sets look like. All three series use cheap digipak packaging for the discs. The boxes also look more blue than they should be to me, but that could just be your camera.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

That looks to me like a bootleg but rather really cool one!

You ought to check the sizes of the DVD discs on your PC.
Kuwabara wrote:Unless the PAL releases use transparent cases, that's definitely not what the R1 sets look like. All three series use cheap digipak packaging for the discs. The boxes also look more blue than they should be to me, but that could just be your camera.
The English PAL releases of Dragon Ball all use the Saga Sets' episodes, buddy.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 pm

And what should I see on my PC ?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:51 pm

bernhard90 wrote:And what should I see on my PC ?
The DVD size and also worth checking if you see any compression (pixelated picture).

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:52 pm

What should the size be? Compression is hard to notice, because i got no comparison.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Bootleg. The spines are incorrect, they should combine to make Shenron with a horizontal DB logo. The spines you see there (which are still not really that accurate) are for the slip covers. And they're in boxes, whereas actual Blue Bricks fold out like a pamplhet.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 pm

That definitely looks like a bootleg to me, nowhere does the DB Blue seasons have that kind of packaging.

Obviously the legit sets are in digipack cases while having a spine image of Shenron and those DVDs pictured are regular although they do have all the same artwork minus said spine picture.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm

KBABZ wrote:Bootleg. The spines are incorrect, they should combine to make Shenron with a horizontal DB logo. The spines you see there (which are still not really that accurate) are for the slip covers. And they're in boxes, whereas actual Blue Bricks fold out like a pamplhet.
Yes, the packaging isn't official but that doesn't necessarily mean the discs aren't.

I have the FUNi GT Singles in 2 fat-packs kinda like Madman's Dragon Ball release is in two boxes so that could have been done by a fan who wanted slimmer/thinner cases for Dragon Ball.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Bootleg. The spines are incorrect, they should combine to make Shenron with a horizontal DB logo. The spines you see there (which are still not really that accurate) are for the slip covers. And they're in boxes, whereas actual Blue Bricks fold out like a pamplhet.
Yes, the packaging isn't official but that doesn't necessarily mean the discs aren't.

I have the FUNi GT Singles in 2 fat-packs kinda like Madman's Dragon Ball release is in two boxes so that could have been done by a fan who wanted slimmer/thinner cases for Dragon Ball.
It's always possible that someone made custom albeit unofficial packaging and just stuck the legit DVD's in there.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

For the life of me I can't find the post at the moment, but I recall seeing someone on Reddit who had Blue Bricks that looked exactly like this. Either it's a widely distributed bootleg or FUNimation has quietly changed the packaging.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:Either it's a widely distributed bootleg or FUNimation has quietly changed the packaging.
If they did it must have been in the past couple years, because I bought the Blue Bricks a few years ago and they look quite different from that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm

KBABZ wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:Either it's a widely distributed bootleg or FUNimation has quietly changed the packaging.
If they did it must have been in the past couple years, because I bought the Blue Bricks a few years ago and they look quite different from that.
Perhaps they have altered it and just did so silently, though if that's the case this packaging does lose the Shenron picture on the spines which is unfortunate. Don't quote me on that but i wouldn't be surprised if that indeed was the case here.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
bernhard90 wrote:And what should I see on my PC ?
The DVD size and also worth checking if you see any compression (pixelated picture).
You can also see the the day they were made.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I've seen these on Reddit too, I thought they were specific to a certain store.

If you can't get an answer from us or anyone else might be worth tweeting to Funimation or just emailing them.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:The English PAL releases of Dragon Ball all use the Saga Sets' episodes, buddy.
All I meant was that I don't know what the PAL sets physically look like, but thanks for the clarification!
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am

How much did you pay for these boxsets in total? I'd be tempted to buy them if I'd see. The packaging really looks gorgeous.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 am

I payed €85,00 ex shipping.

The size is: 4.19 GB

Changed on 14-04-2052 :problem:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:49 am

Kuwabara wrote:All I meant was that I don't know what the PAL sets physically look like
The only PAL "seasons" AFAIK are the UK ones, which use fat pack cases and a yellow version of the cover template. The episode/disc breakdown is also different as they repackage the Saga discs.

ImageImage
bernhard90 wrote:The size is: 4.19 GB
For which disc? The last disc of each US set was single layer and the rest were all dual layer, so discs 1-4 should be 7-8ish GB.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 am

For disc 1 of season 1.