Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3223
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:36 pm

How are the video qualities on this release?

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:50 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:I can tell those are (well done) bootlegs, because....

A. While with the exception of the fourth pack that is the official artwork used on the old Saga set releases the Piccolo Daimao portion was in fact two sets only.

B. No company/distributor logos of any kind.
On a more technical note, those covers have always exclusively used cut-out frames from the show itself (hence the rather clustered arrangement), while the Daimao Part 4 box uses artwork from the manga.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:11 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:I can tell those are (well done) bootlegs, because....

A. While with the exception of the fourth pack that is the official artwork used on the old Saga set releases the Piccolo Daimao portion was in fact two sets only.

B. No company/distributor logos of any kind.
On a more technical note, those covers have always exclusively used cut-out frames from the show itself (hence the rather clustered arrangement), while the Daimao Part 4 box uses artwork from the manga.
I found it sort of similar to what they did with the old Z single discs, where the covers were just blown up screenshots from episodes themselves. Though they did indeed put a good bit more effort in the artwork with the Sagas and the GT singles as well as most subsequent releases.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:I can tell those are (well done) bootlegs, because....

A. While with the exception of the fourth pack that is the official artwork used on the old Saga set releases the Piccolo Daimao portion was in fact two sets only.

B. No company/distributor logos of any kind.
On a more technical note, those covers have always exclusively used cut-out frames from the show itself (hence the rather clustered arrangement), while the Daimao Part 4 box uses artwork from the manga.
I found it sort of similar to what they did with the old Z single discs, where the covers were just blown up screenshots from episodes themselves. Though they did indeed put a good bit more effort in the artwork with the Sagas and the GT singles as well as most subsequent releases.
I'm sure the number of "spend a minute panning up a shot of a character" helped with those!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: On a more technical note, those covers have always exclusively used cut-out frames from the show itself (hence the rather clustered arrangement), while the Daimao Part 4 box uses artwork from the manga.
I found it sort of similar to what they did with the old Z single discs, where the covers were just blown up screenshots from episodes themselves. Though they did indeed put a good bit more effort in the artwork with the Sagas and the GT singles as well as most subsequent releases.
I'm sure the number of "spend a minute panning up a shot of a character" helped with those!
Though of course there is the obvious exception of the Pioneer/FUNi discs with the Ocean dub, those actually have some pretty cool original artwork though i heard at least a fewa few of them were sourced from either official Toei or Toriyama artwork.

For instance, i saw on a thread here that one of the Pioneer volumes had a cover picture of Goku and Vegeta that was referenced from an image of the two from Movie 12 just with their Buu arc garb switched for their Saiyan arc outfits.

bernhard90
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by bernhard90 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:20 am


User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:47 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:For instance, i saw on a thread here that one of the Pioneer volumes had a cover picture of Goku and Vegeta that was referenced from an image of the two from Movie 12 just with their Buu arc garb switched for their Saiyan arc outfits.
Ooo I remember that piece!

bernhard90
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by bernhard90 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:49 am

I made for you guys some screenshots! I post them a.s.a.p.

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:30 am

I could have sworn I saw these slimmer sets at Walmart not that long ago.
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 am

bernhard90 wrote:This is the sellers link: https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/cd-s-en-dv ... ousPage=lr
Would have been great if the Dragon Ball: Saga Sets had been sold in so few volumes but that didn't happen. Next best thing is Madman's 2x Dragon Ball Collection Part sets.

bernhard90
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by bernhard90 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:48 am

Here you can see product dimensions! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragon-Ball- ... D/11100000

bernhard90
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by bernhard90 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 am

Changed the topic title, because we can discuss all bootleg items here.

Look at the review: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7YCF6V/re ... B0OS0I7GMF

Looks to me that are a lot of bootlegs in circulation?

ImageDragonball DVD sets by , on Flickr

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:09 pm

bernhard90 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 am
Changed the topic title, because we can discuss all bootleg items here.

Look at the review: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7YCF6V/re ... B0OS0I7GMF

Looks to me that are a lot of bootlegs in circulation?

ImageDragonball DVD sets by , on Flickr
Looks like that listing is for the bootlegs. Someone should report it to Amazon if at all possible.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

bernhard90
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by bernhard90 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:03 am

This is also bootleg right? Can't find any funimation logo or anything on the cover.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Dragon-Ball-Tou ... SwrZBcHG~x

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:49 am

bernhard90 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:03 am
This is also bootleg right? Can't find any funimation logo or anything on the cover.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Dragon-Ball-Tou ... SwrZBcHG~x
That's definitely got to be a either a duplicated copy or bootleg, because i don't see a single FUNi or Toei logo anywhere on the package.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:35 pm

"The Uncut Perfect Edition"

...yep, definitely a bootleg.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:35 pm
"The Uncut Perfect Edition"

...yep, definitely a bootleg.
There are also the images on the back artwork of the case that have absolutely nothing to do with the episodes that the set purports to have. I mean, you have Tao Pai Pai aka Mercenary Tao riding on the log and the pirate robot which are both from the Red Ribbon arc.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Are these blue-bricks real or bootleg?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm

bernhard90 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 am
Changed the topic title, because we can discuss all bootleg items here.

Look at the review: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7YCF6V/re ... B0OS0I7GMF

Looks to me that are a lot of bootlegs in circulation?

ImageDragonball DVD sets by , on Flickr
On the one hand this is a bootleg, on the other the packaging looks really nice for collectors, imo.

Y'know, Amazon/casual reviewers generally say something is "amazing" or "great" even if it isn't. I read so many reviews praising the DBZ Season Blu-ray sets that if I didn't know any better, I'd believe them that they were really spectacular.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 pm

I was just browsing Amazon Japan and came across this...
This bootleg product is slowly gaining popularity, even moreso the packaging looks nicer than the official.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Bootleg topic! Real vs fake

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm

The uptick in bootleg blue bricks is definitely weird, especially since people are ordering them from Amazon. I have to imagine people are ordering from third party sellers and not Amazon directly, I just purchased #3, 4, and 5 off Amazon from them directly and they’re certainly official products.

Post Reply