Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am
KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am "Oh, and the first anime exists as well I guess"
Yeah, this attitude being taken by Toei and Funi has always really annoyed me. Can they actually celebrate and recognise the whole original run, not just the middle 300 episodes?

Still, maybe once they've got the new Z remaster out, DB and GT will follow along. And hey, who knows, maybe Funi will even import their remasters this time around.
UGH, yes. I mean, I get it, Z is more popular (the DB to Toriyama's Dr. Slump), but come on, at LEAST include the whole story! It's sad because I feel like Z being popular over DB in the west due to how that went down has recursively reflected Toei's attitude in Japan, or at least reinforced it all the more (and this is more annoying than anime > manga). Sometimes it REALLY sucks being a fan of Kid Goku when mother-f***ing GT gets more attention!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:00 am

Which Z logo is worse? The 30th logo or the manga logo?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:07 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:00 am Which Z logo is worse? The 30th logo or the manga logo?

It's a toss up between the two but I'd say the manga logo, i take one look at that and think "Really? They couldn't have used the Z from the show logo or something at least a little closer."
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:09 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:07 am It's a toss up between the two but I'd say the manga logo, i take one look at that and think "Really? They couldn't have used the Z from the show logo or something at least a little closer."
Well I mean I bet they weren't allowed to use the Funi or Toei logos for the show and had to make their own. But like... wow, what a clash of styles. Who knew that ViZ would predict Beerus' Egyptian design origins with their design for the Z, right??

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:15 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:09 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:07 am It's a toss up between the two but I'd say the manga logo, i take one look at that and think "Really? They couldn't have used the Z from the show logo or something at least a little closer."
Well I mean I bet they weren't allowed to use the Funi or Toei logos for the show and had to make their own. But like... wow, what a clash of styles. Who knew that ViZ would predict Beerus' Egyptian design origins with their design for the Z, right??
I wouldn't be surprised if it were some kind of legal thing related to the companies, but yeah i'd have liked it if it wasn't such a thin font and something a little closer to the show's version.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:20 pm

2019 marks the 25th anniversary of “Dragon Ball’s” introduction to U.S.
Even if we ignore the Harmony Gold dub, the other Ocean dub premiered in September 1995. Which is only 24 years ago.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:20 pm
Even if we ignore the Harmony Gold dub, the other Ocean dub premiered in September 1995. Which is only 24 years ago.
Yep. And if we're paying attention to Harmony Gold, then it was the full 30, so this baffled me a bit too.

My guess is they were thinking of the original DB pilot dub, which may have been shown to test audiences as early as late '94.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:48 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:00 am Which Z logo is worse? The 30th logo or the manga logo?

I think the 30th logo could've been better. It''s not bad but not the best either. I've never had a problem with the manga's so i think it's Ok.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:42 pm

I think the 30th anniversary logo looks far worse...
Their dub of the first DB movie probably aired in 1994. The credits say “copyright 1994”. Either the one with the Harmony Gold names or just the version on the KidMark/TriMark VHS tapes and DVDs, but without the episodes clips thrown in. Or both?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:34 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:42 pm I think the 30th anniversary logo looks far worse...
Their dub of the first DB movie probably aired in 1994. The credits say “copyright 1994”. Either the one with the Harmony Gold names or just the version on the KidMark/TriMark VHS tapes and DVDs, but without the episodes clips thrown in. Or both?
It's worth noting that in the version we all know, the parts specifically recorded for the movie used Maggie Blue O'Hara as Bulma, while the clip from the show is exactly what was used in the show, with Lalainia Linbjerg as Bulma. So, I'd guess either the test dub happened, then the series happened, then they put the movie together, but Lindbjerg wasn't available, so they used O'Hara, then put Lindbjerg's clip in, or both the test dub and the movie were done with O'Hara, then they recast for the series, then when it eventually came time to air/use the movie, they decided to make it a bit longer by putting a bit of the series dub they'd just done into it.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:39 am

I'd assume the last one.

Movie 1, then Movie 1 again (without Harmony Gold names), then the 13 episodes, and then on to DBZ.

That seems like the most likely. But in any case, 1994 is when Funimation brot Dragon Ball to the United States (and Canada? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:37 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:39 am I'd assume the last one.

Movie 1, then Movie 1 again (without Harmony Gold names), then the 13 episodes, and then on to DBZ.

That seems like the most likely. But in any case, 1994 is when Funimation brot Dragon Ball to the United States (and Canada? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.).
The 1995 dub did indeed make it to Canada back in the day. Though oddly enough, it's not on the CRTC database; to me, points further to the production deals behind the BLT dub being a mess.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:21 am

Thought I'd bump this thread up. I got an email from Amazon saying that the release date for "Dragon Ball: A Visual History" has changed to a October 30th - November 4th bracket.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 pm

https://www.facebook.com/DBSymphonicAdv ... 4701950097
Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure Kicks Off North American Tour With Premiere Performance In Chicago!

ON SALE FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15 @ 10AM CST

For the first time in the U.S., Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z fans will be able to experience the beloved franchise like never before! Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure is a fully immersive concert performed live by the 60-piece World Festival Orchestra, led by acclaimed conductor Eric Roth, and featuring renowned singer 高橋洋樹 Hiroki Takahashi, original vocalist on the Dragon Ball series theme song!

https://www.facebook.com/events/484967795437684
Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure kicks off north american tour with premiere performance in Chicago!

An Overlook Events Original Production
Presented by AWR Music Production

Tickets for the premiere performance of “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure” will go on sale at 10am CST on November 15, 2019 at https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04005761CBF35313

As part of the year-long 30th anniversary celebration of “Dragon Ball Z,” Toei Animation Inc. and Sony Pictures Television’s Funimation announced today that the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure,” a one-of-a-kind concert experience, is coming to North America. Produced by Overlook Events and presented by AWR Music Productions, the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure” combines scenes and sounds of Dragon Ball together with live vocals, a 60-piece orchestra and the music of legendary Japanese composer Shunsuke Kikuchi to create an immersive multimedia event for fans. The North American tour of the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure” kicks-off on Friday, March 27, 2020 with its premiere performance in Chicago, IL at the Rosemont Theatre featuring the World Festival Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eric Roth. Additional dates and locations to be announced.

Based on its Narrative Symphonic Experience concept, Overlook Events mixes a symphony orchestra with rock instruments, live vocals, sound effects and light synchronized to a compilation of Dragon Ball video excerpts projected on giant screens, following a strict narrative – to create the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure.” The result is a concert experience that achieves a musical and technical mastery still very rare in an industry dominated by cinema-concerts.

Overlook describes their creative process: “As great enthusiasts of Akira Toriyama's saga, we spent long months carefully selecting and analyzing each scene to draw out the essence of the Dragon Ball story. While reconstructing each arc, each scene was thoughtfully set to new orchestrations of the classic music, to align with our Narrative Symphonic Experience concept. Nothing was left to chance. Now, we invite you to enjoy every minute of this concert experience, from the opening trumpet notes heralding the first transformation of Son Goku, ready to unleash his uncontrollable fury against the mighty Frieza.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm

I REALLY hope this wont get booed. I REALLY do.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm I REALLY hope this wont get booed. I REALLY do.
Why would you think that?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:09 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm I REALLY hope this wont get booed. I REALLY do.
Why would you think that?
The only reason I could possibly think of in the moment would be Faulconer fanboys raiding the concert just to boo and hate on the fabulous music by Kikuchi.

Also, on a side note, I would love to see the reaction of a Faulconer fanboy not knowing it’s Kikuchi, and reacting to what’s being played, it would be priceless!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 am

I don’t think “Faulconer fanboys” are really a thing outside of the Internet. I mean, even though most American fans are dub fans, the percentage of them that even know the name “Bruce Faulconer” is an extremely small niche. No one is gonna go to a DBZ concert and boo it, especially for a reason like that. The only way I can see people showing up en masse to boo something like this is if they make some kind of overt political statement that garners media attention and triggers snowflakes or conservaturds. I don’t see that happening with DBZ.