Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:20 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:55 amAnyone else get the feeling that Kai: TFC's opening was animated in 4:3, then either stretched or cropped to widescreen? It's either that, or some shots were animated in 4:3 then cropped, like the shot where Babidi & Dabura appear, then Buu. The composition of those shots never feels right to me no matter how many times I've seen it.
There's that possibility. I compared the two versions and TFC looks to have slightly more footage.

The Final Chapters

Majin Boo Hen

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:55 amAnyone else get the feeling that Kai: TFC's opening was animated in 4:3, then either stretched or cropped to widescreen? It's either that, or some shots were animated in 4:3 then cropped, like the shot where Babidi & Dabura appear, then Buu. The composition of those shots never feels right to me no matter how many times I've seen it.
Yeah, I believe this was brought up on an old Podcast episode.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am

After this I'll stop contributing to the derail, but, starting with Friends, you're all right and I was wrong about the crop, as most of the time it's simply expanded, but there are indeed many a scene when I rewatched a season or so on Netflix where I've noticed obvious cropping (when they couldn't make the scene work with the extra space), which is probably what I was remembering. Though primarily it's the odd, unnatural framing that is most noticeable, due to many of the expanded shots featuring little headroom or compromised medium shots of characters, and then tons of extra dead empty space on the sides. This becomes less of an issue in scenes set at Central Perk where there's more details of value in the scene, but I digress.

Even in the two sets of images Scsigs posted, the first I've reposted, even had it not revealed the edge of the set design, is very unnaturally framed for a film or sitcom. A full shot with two closely huddled characters and a duck and then dead space 4 dayz which adds nothing of value, other than offering an odd angle view into the deep background of the apartment which they shouldn't be focusing on to begin with. A more natural shot that wide probably would've included a lot more headroom and character spacing. If Joey breaking character wasn't in frame in the second image, it would be the same deal, an oddly-framed medium shot cutting off the hands of the characters (acceptable as a necessary and expected compromise in the 4:3 shot, but a bit less natural in a wider 16:9 shot), huddled together center-frame, with dead space on either side. It also works better as a reaction shot in 4:3, as you can assume Chandler's boss's (or whomever they're addressing in that office) gaze towards them is immediately off camera-left in 4:3, whereas with all the empty space in the 16:9 shot, the same sort of effect and focus is diluted and you feel all that space between the two sets of characters in the alternating shots, diminishing the tension, sense of pressure, or intensity of the back and forth. Really, clearly nothing of value is added to either, and all that's happening is the original focus of both shots is compromised in exchange for empty space.

For Seinfeld? It's a godawful mess, and was immediately noticeable to me (and thousands of others) how compromised the space and framing were when chopped to 16:9. It's an incredibly-common complaint.

Nobody would composite a shot like the 16:9 version is presented. Unnatural floating bodies (especially Elaine's where once again her hands are chopped off) with almost no headroom, and incredibly unnatural presentation of the background with exceptionally-poor scope. Text cut off midway on both signs at top frame which intentionally helped establish the setting, no floor in view to give a sense of grounding. This is the exact scene that immediately sprung to mind when I mentioned Seinfeld, being Elaine's first appearance IIRC, and clearly representative of the problems that would plague the conversion throughout the whole series. So much of Seinfeld is just so tightly and unnaturally framed, I can't even begin to watch it in that form.

I only skimmed this, but it provides further examples and justification as to why it's ultimately so bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIrsitJW5M

Again, if the conversion of either show to 16:9, especially Seinfeld, doesn't bother you, or you write them off as mere sitcoms (so who cares about the framing?), then great! You can enjoy the show with full real estate lit up. You're also making the exact same excuses that millions of DBZ casuals make when they say they don't care about DBZ's framing problem, give it a pass, and keep throwing tons of money at orange bricks and the BD equivalents. Me? I choose to care about both equally, and lose out to studios catering to people who don't have the slightest knowledge or inclination towards proper shot framing and just want the entire space they paid for lit.

But I digress...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:43 am

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 amAgain, if the conversion of either show to 16:9, especially Seinfeld, doesn't bother you, or you write them off as mere sitcoms (so who cares about the ratio?), then great! You can enjoy the show with full real estate lit up. You're also making the exact same excuses that millions of DBZ casuals make when they say they don't care about DBZ's framing problem, give it a pass, and keep throwing tons of money at orange bricks and the BD equivalents. Me? I choose to care about both equally, and lose out to studios catering to people who don't have the slightest knowledge or inclination towards proper shot framing and just want the entire space they paid for lit.
Thanks for your review on those sitcom's AR shots but there are times when cropping if done right can be a good thing. I personally like to watch Kai in 4x3 AR and 16x9 AR, it gives me two options whenever I feel like switching, and the same kinda goes too for the DB Movies 1-4 & DBZ Movies 1-13 but in this case I rather just watch them in 4x3 AR. Yeah, the TOEI HD remasters look amazing but it feels like I don't enjoy them as much as watching in fullscreen because they're more like extended episodes than real films. Well, DB Movies 3-4 and DBZ Movies 1-3, 12-13 felt like movies but can't say the same for the other ones.

A comparison of Dragon Ball Kai in 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR:

In these two scenarios, I favor the 16x9 AR immensely because it focuses precisely on the characters themselves without cropping out anything important and that Kai was supposed to be a modern, refresh take of Dragon Ball Z. Plus, the 16x9 AR didn't show Goku's broken fingers or what the heck they were, that creeps me out for some reason.

The intended versions to be seen by the companies aren't necessarily always the best, or that the customer wants.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 am

Gohan looks relatively good in the 16:9, but that Goku shot is way too cramped imo, and as you point out, sacrifices showcasing his broken fingers (which is good if they do indeed creep you out XD).

The US Kai BDs are 4:3, right, whereas it was broadcast and offers its DVDs in 16:9? I might've been fine with Kai in 16:9 on Blu simply because I went into Kai knowing it was a complete reassembly of the show to begin with. I mean, if they're replacing the voice acting and score (twice...), and editing the pacing and tons of other stuff in the episodes, how can I complain about selectively cropping for a re-envisioned cinematic effect for a new age of fandom? I'd probably be fine with it for those reasons, and especially since I already own/can watch the DBZ anime the way it was originally intended (excessive filler and all). Well, aside from the green skies and subpar audio. But if the BDs are 4:3, Idk, I guess I am kind of curious now to watch it in 16:9, again because the appeal of Kai to me is specifically the rearrangement, and why I made sure to track down as much of the Yamamoto versions as I possibly could.

I haven't actually watched more than the first Raditz arc of Kai yet, lol, as I've got such a huge backlog of shows and other interests, and clearly as a Kanzenshuu lurker, DBZ isn't my primary obsession. The irony is I picked up all the DBoxes for about $100 total when Amazon was practically giving them away, but the only original volume of Kai I'm missing is 4, and now that's super expensive since they cut its production run short after the whole Yamamoto debacle. I need to get back to tracking a copy with a slipcover down, then I guess maybe I can finally watch Kai, a decade or whatever later, lol...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 am

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 am Gohan looks relatively good in the 16:9, but that Goku shot is way too cramped imo, and as you point out, sacrifices showcasing his broken fingers (which is good if they do indeed creep you out XD).

The US Kai BDs are 4:3, right, whereas it was broadcast and offers its DVDs in 16:9? I might've been fine with Kai in 16:9 on Blu simply because I went into Kai knowing it was a complete reassembly of the show to begin with. I mean, if they're replacing the voice acting and score (twice...), and editing the pacing and tons of other stuff in the episodes, how can I complain about selectively cropping for a re-envisioned cinematic effect for a new age of fandom? I'd probably be fine with it for those reasons, and especially since I already own/can watch the DBZ anime the way it was originally intended (excessive filler and all). Well, aside from the green skies and subpar audio. But if the BDs are 4:3, Idk, I guess I am kind of curious now to watch it in 16:9, again because the appeal of Kai to me is specifically the rearrangement, and why I made sure to track down as much of the Yamamoto versions as I possibly could.

I haven't actually watched more than the first Raditz arc of Kai yet, lol, as I've got such a huge backlog of shows and other interests, and clearly as a Kanzenshuu lurker, DBZ isn't my primary obsession. The irony is I picked up all the DBoxes for about $100 total when Amazon was practically giving them away, but the only original volume of Kai I'm missing is 4, and now that's super expensive since they cut its production run short after the whole Yamamoto debacle. I need to get back to tracking a copy with a slipcover down, then I guess maybe I can finally watch Kai, a decade or whatever later, lol...
The Japanese DVDs, French Blu-rays and German Blu-rays were all in 16x9 AR so at least a few countries were provided with a HD 16x9 AR version of Kai. If 4x3 AR was the intended aspect ratio (not saying it's not) then TOEI shouldn't have given anyone the 16x9 AR for home releases.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 am

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am I only skimmed this, but it provides further examples and justification as to why it's ultimately so bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIrsitJW5M

Again, if the conversion of either show to 16:9, especially Seinfeld, doesn't bother you, or you write them off as mere sitcoms (so who cares about the framing?), then great! You can enjoy the show with full real estate lit up. You're also making the exact same excuses that millions of DBZ casuals make when they say they don't care about DBZ's framing problem, give it a pass, and keep throwing tons of money at orange bricks and the BD equivalents. Me? I choose to care about both equally, and lose out to studios catering to people who don't have the slightest knowledge or inclination towards proper shot framing and just want the entire space they paid for lit.

But I digress...
I actually watched that entire video before my making my previous post and it basically reiterated what I already thought. Every one of those shots looks perfectly acceptable to me and doesn't bother me when watching Seinfeld in HD. I'm still able to fully enjoy each episode.

But hey, listen, I get it if that process bothers you, I absolutely do. I'm not saying your argument is bunk, it holds a lot of weight, and in an alternate universe where they had only released Seinfeld in 4:3 HD, I would have no problems with it whatsoever. But as it is, the current 16:9 HD masters don't bother me, especially given the nature of how the show was filmed. To be clear, I do not write Seinfeld off as a mere sitcom, I actually think it's one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. However, I personally don't think the show suffers too much, if at all, from the 16:9 conversion. That doesn't mean that I agree with the process, but it's what we have and it could be a lot worse. In terms of "mere sitcoms," if they did the exact same thing to a single-camera show like Scrubs, I think the results would be a lot different and much more noticeable in a bad way (I don't know if Scrubs was "future-proofed" or not, but for the sake of argument, let's pretend that it wasn't).

Again, though, if it bugs you, it bugs you, and I understand completely and sympathize with you. I'm just lucky in that it doesn't bug me. Perhaps that makes me a "multi-camera sitcom casual," I don't know, but I think the situation is a bit different when it comes to a show like Dragon Ball Z.

For one, Seinfeld doesn't have a lot of shots like this to worry about:

Or these:

And then of course, you have gems like this:

This last shot, in particular, really highlights what I'm talking about in that it is noticeably cropped with no side-by-side comparison necessary. Shots like these occur all of the time in 16:9 DBZ, and they suck me right out of the story, making me that much more aware that what I'm watching is a hack job, something that doesn't occur when I'm watching Seinfeld.

But anyway... what were we...? Oh yeah, 30th anniversary. I hope it's 4:3!
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:15 am

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 amAfter this I'll stop contributing to the derail, but, starting with Friends, you're all right and I was wrong about the crop, as most of the time it's simply expanded, but there are indeed many a scene when I rewatched a season or so on Netflix where I've noticed obvious cropping (when they couldn't make the scene work with the extra space), which is probably what I was remembering. Though primarily it's the odd, unnatural framing that is most noticeable, due to many of the expanded shots featuring little headroom or compromised medium shots of characters, and then tons of extra dead empty space on the sides. This becomes less of an issue in scenes set at Central Perk where there's more details of value in the scene, but I digress.
Funnily enough this was actually a problem the first Ratchet & Clank game encountered when it was ported to PS3: all the in-engine cutscenes were expanded wide screen, which not only meant that everything was focused in the middle, but now clever CG tricks and things you weren't meant to see like "off-screen" characters no longer being animated were now totally visible.

Got weirder with the second and third games though: those supported widescreen, but because SD 16:9 uses stretched pixels, what we got is the 16:9 framing expanded vertically to a 4:3 frame... which was then expanded AGAIN horizontally! So now everything is far away seemingly in the middle in the frame, and now we can totally see tricks we weren't meant to, like character's legs not animating because they were hidden by the letterbox bars!
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 amImage

This last shot, in particular, really highlights what I'm talking about in that it is noticeably cropped with no side-by-side comparison necessary. Shots like these occur all of the time in 16:9 DBZ, and they suck me right out of the story, making me that much more aware that what I'm watching is a hack job, something that doesn't occur when I'm watching Seinfeld.
IMO this really deserves more emphasis. DBZ is a show packed with characters that have major height differences, be it children and adults, Vegeta and Piccolo, Frieza and Goku, or Krillin and 18. And the fact of the matter is that when you crop them, one person loses their forehead and the other will lose their chin and the rest of their body.

This is why the composition of the movies is so important: because of the widescreen crop being anticipated, the shot composition in 4:3 was mindful of what would be lost, so objects and characters were arranged accordingly.

Okay this is about to get long; the spoiler tags still don't work, but I've put them in for when they do work later. Here's hoping that's soon!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

In the picture above, you can see that Vegeta and Trunks' position are laid out such that it works in both aspect ratios. Vegeta of course has an advantage with his massively tall hair, so he's placed in the foreground so the 4:3 frame works.

[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
Similar thing going here. Gohan and Videl work perfectly in both versions: this this were 4:3 only and then cropped to widescreen, Gohan's forehead would be gone and Videl's mouth would barely be visible.

[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
Another one: all the characters are arranged in a straight line to work in widescreen, but the background still has plenty of detail to make it feel relevant.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
And again: Gohan and Trunks are placed nicely, but they won't have anything important chopped away by the theatrical aspect ratio.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
And here's a similar shot from the show. ...yikes. As you can see, Goku's mouth is completely cut off, and even if you were more selective and moved the image down, you would cut into Krillin's head and most likely Gohan's. If this shot were meant to be in one of the movies, Goku would have been drawn smaller and nudged up in the frame so that he's composed nicely in a theatrical presentation.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
To round this out, here's an image I found showing IN THE PRODUCTION PROCESS how each was designed differently. Above, we have the movies, and in the guidelines you have the 4:3 framing for TV and widescreen for theaters. Note how in the close-up of Cooler, there's still enough room above and below his face for the close-up to feel correct when cropped. But in the Goku drawing below him, that wouldn't work, because his chin would get WAY too close to the bottom of the frame if you did that.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:43 am A comparison of Dragon Ball Kai in 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR:

You know, shots like this one tend to make me question Toei's selective cropping process.

If it were up to me to choose which part of the image gets the axe, I would go with something more like this (quick, crude example):

or maybe even this:

It still looks cramped either way, but much less so than what Toei went with, which is more or less a dead center crop. It makes me wonder what their selective process really entailed, because I get the feeling that they just went with a center crop by default and only re-framed/re-drew a shot if it truly jumped out at them, which resulted in shots like this sometimes slipping through the cracks.

Oh, and...

Yeah, was definitely cropped from 4:3. Look at poor Yamcha and Tenshinhan! (I know this is from the ending, not the opening, but I think it applies to both)
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 amImage

It still looks cramped either way, but much less so than what Toei went with, which is more or less a dead center crop. It makes me wonder what their selective process really entailed, because I get the feeling that they just went with a center crop by default and only re-framed/re-drew a shot if it truly jumped out at them, which resulted in shots like this sometimes slipping through the cracks.
I agree! I was gonna bring this up but totally forgot when bringing up the old movie examples.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:11 pm

The bottom line, at least from my point of view, is that reframing a show after its original production is a crappy thing to do, and will result in an inferior product to if the original format was retained.

Having said that, an open-matte expansion is certainly preferable to cropping, and I know I personally will often just tolerate an open-matte approach -- in a few cases, I'll even advocate for it, though they are somewhat rare; the Dragon Ball movies in 4:3 is one such case -- but anyone who seriously advocates for cropping... I don't even know what to say other than to question whether such a person has any respect for the artists who worked so hard on delivering the show in the way it was originally delivered...

The show was made in 4:3. It was always meant to be seen in 4:3. Any release, person, company, or any other kind of entity that claims otherwise is either lying to try to get you to buy a crap product, or is a fool who's been taken in by the lies.
Any format other than 4:3 for the show is fundamentally dishonest, wrong, and a clear sign of a remastering effort being produced with cynicism, and an apathy towards the original production. The movies are a different issue, and are mostly irrelevant; basically as long as there is an option of the original 1.85:1 cinema framing, we're good (in absence of that, 16:9 will suffice, though that ratio does show the exact same attitudes as cropping the show to widescreen, just to a much lesser degree), but having the 4:3 open-matte option is very nice to have, but I digress.

Kai is an interesting case, because they actually put in the effort of redrawing scenes in the 1-98 run, and doing some small amounts of video editing in the 99-167/159 run to fit the 16:9 ratio (it's often overlooked that the 16:9 version of Kai 1.0 had a lot of redrawn shots that the 4:3 version instead presented with the original animation). It's far from preferable, but if you had to pick between cropped versions of the show, Kai would be the way to do it.
But, Kai in 4:3 is a superior product to Kai in 16:9, and Boo Kai being cropped is one of many reasons that run was an utter shambles.

Assuming this release is indeed 4:3 and HD, then as long as it's not DNR'd to hell, we'll finally have a good release.
And to be clear, "DNR'd to hell" doesn't mean "Any DNR at all!!"; while I have my pet peeves about DNR (namely, DNR really doesn't work on animation beyond the lightest of uses, and film looks better when it's very film-y, complete with grain), ultimately the more objective viewpoint to take is that any DNR should be rather light, so as to not give us a repeat of Boo Kai, the Funi Season BDs/Orange Brick DVDs, or even Kai 1.0. (Yes, Kai 1.0. It mostly looked nice, but bloody hell was the picture soft. Detail level was no greater than the standard-def Dragon Boxes)
We don't need Level amounts of grain for it to be a good release, but they shouldn't be afraid of at least Dragon Box levels of grain.
Though, it would be great if they're willing to leave the kind of amount the Levels had; since they're likely working with Toei's negatives, there would be significantly less grain in the picture in the first place, so they could actually have less grain than the Levels without DNRing it at all, most likely, so they could drop DNR entirely and leave the picture sharp as a tack. Though, more likely they will use some DNR so as to make the picture seem superficially cleaner and more modern to the unwise; this is still Toei and Funimation we're dealing with, remember.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 amAgain, if the conversion of either show to 16:9, especially Seinfeld, doesn't bother you, or you write them off as mere sitcoms (so who cares about the framing?), then great! You can enjoy the show with full real estate lit up. You're also making the exact same excuses that millions of DBZ casuals make when they say they don't care about DBZ's framing problem, give it a pass, and keep throwing tons of money at orange bricks and the BD equivalents. Me? I choose to care about both equally, and lose out to studios catering to people who don't have the slightest knowledge or inclination towards proper shot framing and just want the entire space they paid for lit.

But I digress...
I disagree. With Seinfeld, yes, the screwing with the aspect ratio IS a problem, but from what I've read, they have 4:3 HD versions from when they remastered the series for its DVD release that they have for networks to use if they want. Granted, they also used them on Hulu & iTunes, but if they ever release Seinfeld on Blu-Ray, I hope they retain the 4:3 versions, but program the discs, if anyone wants it, to fill the screen with the cropped versions if they feel they SHOULD include them. Kai had the DVDs in Japan programmed to do that, I think, so offering both on the discs would be good. I'm not really bothered by the reframing, but it COULD be better. Still giving everyone a perfectly preserved & watchable version of the show SHOULD be top priority, which I think is why they only released the 4:3 version on DVD.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:34 pm

"Kai had the DVDs in Japan programmed to do that"

Uh, stretching the picture, ya mean? Sure, you can do that with any DVD but it wouldn't look good for obvious reasons. Blu-rays on the other hand, I couldn't stretch it but it's possible to zoom in so those who want it to fill the screen would do just that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am as you can assume Chandler's boss's (or whomever they're addressing in that office) gaze towards them is immediately off camera-left in 4:3
Love the use of Friends and Seinfeld examples. And not that it matters, but in that Friends episode, Ross, Chandler, and Joey are confronting the stripper from Ross's bachelor party whom Joey slept with and mistakenly believe stole Ross's grandmother's wedding ring. Spoilers - she didn't steal it; the duck at it. It's from The One With the Worst Best Man Ever.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Just to compare to the FUNI Blurays--

I do hope FUNI lays off of the color correction. They did do a good job with the level sets though. As someone else mentioned, those sets would have benefited from using a higher bitrate, but I'm assuming FUNI's film stock is a low generation copy... giving it more grain. Hopefully this new release will use the original film negatives, therefore making it less grainy (relatively speaking)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:31 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:34 pm "Kai had the DVDs in Japan programmed to do that"

Uh, stretching the picture, ya mean? Sure, you can do that with any DVD but it wouldn't look good for obvious reasons. Blu-rays on the other hand, I couldn't stretch it but it's possible to zoom in so those who want it to fill the screen would do just that.
I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese DVDs were programmed to recognize if you used the "zoom" button on your TV to make it 16:9, then it would adjust the picture to the selective cropping from the 16:9 version of the series. No?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 pm

It’s amazing how great the Dragon Boxes are compared to every other set on the market I but in my blu rays and just went yuck. Then in my Dragon Boxes and went wow :O. I forgot just how great they are, I try not to watch them a lot since dvds scratch easily 😭. Watching this again makes me want that 4:3 blu ray set even more now. The 16:9 blu rays are an atrocity but I like the nostalgia of the failconer score although kikuchki is my preferred track.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:52 pm

Does anyone have screenshots of the French kai blurays, I'm interested to how they look compared to the FUNi ones

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 am

I really hope this release ends up being 4:3 and not cropped or DNR'd into oblivion, because we are long overdue for a proper remaster that doesn't look absolutely horrendous.

Here are some comparisons that show just how desperately a good remaster is needed.

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 am

You know I never noticed that Videl in the eyecatch had her long hair with the pink shirt and white singlet. She never wore that combo!