Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:32 pm
sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:18 pm How the heck can moving the pre order number mean it's in 16:9? And why is it a "red flag"?
Forte224 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:23 pm So you agree with Jord that the Dragon Balls 4 and 3 placed next to each other in order mean absolutely nothing as regards to 4:3, yet you're convinced that moving the sign up total from 2500 to 3000 means 16:9 is all but confirmed? Good lord this announcement is making people lose their minds.
If I've learned anything about Dragon Ball (specifically Z) home releases for the last 12 years it's be pessimistic.

We're going to release the entire show on DVD! Except it's cropped and heavily DVNRed.
We're going to release the Dragon Boxes! Except they're going to be limited so if you don't get them as soon as you can you're SOL.
We're going to release the show on Blu-ray! Never mind, that's now cancelled.
We're going to bring back the Blu-ray release! We're going to crop this one too. Oh you want 4:3? No, you don't know what you want, shut up.

So yes, when weird stuff like this happens coupled with Toei's tweet of the first shot of DBZ in widescreen last week, of course I'm going to be pessimistic. It's either going to be in 16:9 or it's going to be censored. Maybe both! I hope I'm wrong. I paid an arm and a leg for the Dragon Boxes (which is my own fault but that's another story), so at least I own the show in my preferred format, so I'm all set but would love a Blu-ray version of said Dragon Boxes, that's why I hope I'm wrong.
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:57 pm If they didn't want people inferring things about a potential 4:3 release and it's actually just going to be another widescreen/16:9 release (following... uhh... an existing in-print 16:9 release?), that's just them being assholes because they can be assholes knowing people would pick things apart looking for clues with the easy-out of being able to feign ignorance and coincidence afterward.
This is a collaboration between 'We're censoring the movies and claiming it's untouched' Toei and 'We're ignoring the 4:3 you voted for and giving you 16:9 anyway' FUNimation. I can absolutely, totally see them just being assholes.
I really hope that's not the case, but like you i also have the Dragon Boxes as well because it was mostly a case of that i wanted to own the series in a decent quality that does it justice. Quite frankly the Orange Bricks/Season BD's are just about as far from that in pretty much every way possible and i was not about to settle for that level of garbage quality. On the upside at least i have gotten really lucky on finding almost all of them for good deals on eBay, so i haven't broken the bank too much in my search though volumes 4 and 7 are still a work in progress.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm

People still buy DVDs? I thought they died in like... 2013?

Also I've never sen a Blu-ray in my life

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Yalos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm People still buy DVDs? I thought they died in like... 2013?

You trolling? Because both have been around for YEARS at this point.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Yalos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm People still buy DVDs? I thought they died in like... 2013?

DVDs even to this day are more popular than Blu-rays as they've been around longer and are generally cheaper. I don't buy DVDs nowadays unless it's a show or a flick I really want, or it has something interesting worth owning (i.e. Manga UK's Dragon Ball Kai - Seasons 1 & 2).

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

You trolling? Because both have been around for YEARS at this point.
no I was curios

I live in Israel and I've never seen a Blu ray in my life
I searched and they are horribly overpriced.. I've seen DVDs when I was younger and still see them but less... Israelis prefer digital media

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:28 pm I agree that there is a far greater chance of this release having censorship than being cropped. Really though, there's been so many DBZ home releases that neither is acceptable at this stage and I will not be buying this if it contains either. This is the perfect opportunity for many distributors (Funimation, Madman, Manga UK, etc) to have a definitive release of the original DBZ series, and for Japan to have any Blu-Ray version at all. If TOEI play their cards right this could be a huge seller if anyone who wants this show to be preserved properly votes with their wallet. Thats the only way to say quality sells.
It's certainly more likely that censorship will take place than cropping the show to 16:9 AR. Speaking of which, I've not checked if TOEI "corrected" the naughty gesture Super Boo did with his middle finger on Kai TFC (JPN/INT), they censored Vegeta's middle finger on Kai so maybe they did it again on Kai TFC.

Because... THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:26 pm

For DBZ the best release of the show is on DVD, the Dragon Boxes. I think they look far better than their Blu-ray release. As an alternative, the Gundam series have each gotten fantastic Blu-ray releases that I would take over any of the DVDs in a heartbeat. It really depends more on the content.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:26 pm

For DBZ the best release of the show is on DVD, the Dragon Boxes. I think they look far better than their Blu-ray release. As an alternative, the Gundam series have each gotten fantastic Blu-ray releases that I would take over any of the DVDs in a heartbeat. It really depends more on the content.
I watched the entire pirated there isn't any official way to watch it on Israel sadly

Also what's a gundam?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Yalos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 pm I searched and they are horribly overpriced.. I've seen DVDs when I was younger and still see them but less... Israelis prefer digital media
Possibly, but the upshot is that you can get a consistent HD picture that kicks the pants off of streaming services, have scene selection, and you can access it anytime you like (streaming services like Netflix often rotate their libraries, so what you want to watch may not be available anymore). For modern anime, Blu-Ray is also usually where they clean up their footage so it looks a lot better than the original (possibly simulcast) airing. This is where the Enhanced on DVD phenomenon comes from.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Yalos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 pm I searched and they are horribly overpriced.. I've seen DVDs when I was younger and still see them but less... Israelis prefer digital media
Possibly, but the upshot is that you can get a consistent HD picture that kicks the pants off of streaming services, have scene selection, and you can access it anytime you like (streaming services like Netflix often rotate their libraries, so what you want to watch may not be available anymore). For modern anime, Blu-Ray is also usually where they clean up their footage so it looks a lot better than the original (possibly simulcast) airing. This is where the Enhanced on DVD phenomenon comes from.
But I don't have a media player

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:28 pm I agree that there is a far greater chance of this release having censorship than being cropped. Really though, there's been so many DBZ home releases that neither is acceptable at this stage and I will not be buying this if it contains either. This is the perfect opportunity for many distributors (Funimation, Madman, Manga UK, etc) to have a definitive release of the original DBZ series, and for Japan to have any Blu-Ray version at all. If TOEI play their cards right this could be a huge seller if anyone who wants this show to be preserved properly votes with their wallet. Thats the only way to say quality sells.
It's certainly more likely that censorship will take place than cropping the show to 16:9 AR. Speaking of which, I've not checked if TOEI "corrected" the naughty gesture Super Boo did with his middle finger on Kai TFC (JPN/INT), they censored Vegeta's middle finger on Kai so maybe they did it again on Kai TFC.

Geeze Louise, as if the editing of the certain few movies wasn't enough. I really hope they don't go through with it because then this release isn't truly uncut. Ok, maybe not censored to quite the extent that the old DBZ dub especially under Saban was back in 1996 with all the digital paint edits and god awful censor stars. But still, even just minor Kai level amounts of censoring then makes it to where the show is no longer truly as it was before. And on the "think of the children" note, this release is an apparently limited collector's item so it's not like this is intended for younger kids because they aren't the ones who are going to plunk down the butt load of money for this. So basically, any censorship would be arbitrary when it's more likely that the fans who want the show in HD properly remastered in the proper aspect ratio after a previous effort that went belly up (Level sets) and another which is basically the Orange Bricks 2.0 (Season BD's), and besides the specs of the release haven't been properly revealed as of yet.

Simply put, we can't absolutely confirm at this point that will be the case.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Geeze Louise, as if the editing of the certain few movies wasn't enough. I really hope they don't go through with it because then this release isn't truly uncut. Ok, maybe not censored to quite the extent that the old DBZ dub especially under Saban was back in 1996 with all the digital paint edits and god awful censor stars. But still, even just minor Kai level amounts of censoring then makes it to where the show is no longer truly as it was before. And on the "think of the children" note, this release is an apparently limited collector's item so it's not like this is intended for younger kids because they aren't the ones who are going to plunk down the butt load of money for this. So basically, any censorship would be arbitrary when it's more likely that the fans who want the show in HD properly remastered in the proper aspect ratio after a previous effort that went belly up (Level sets) and another which is basically the Orange Bricks 2.0 (Season BD's), and besides the specs of the release haven't been properly revealed as of yet.

Do you remember what happened to Tom and Jerry: Gold Collection Vol. 2 on Blu-ray? It was cancelled. It was targeted at adult collectors but they planned on releasing it censored because it had content may deemed offensive by today's standards. The fans made a huge uproar and that was it, only one volume was released. I'm no fan of T&J but still unfortunate this occurred.

People generally think that censorship only applies to a certain audience but it eventually affects the rest too as it becomes the standard.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Do you remember what happened to Tom and Jerry: Gold Collection Vol. 2 on Blu-ray? It was cancelled. It was targeted at adult collectors but they planned on releasing it censored because it had content may deemed offensive by today's standards. The fans made a huge uproar and that was it, only one volume was released. I'm no fan of T&J but still unfortunate this occurred.

People generally think that censorship only applies to a certain audience but it eventually affects the rest too as it becomes the standard.
Yes, I remember how much hell people were raising about that over the release having two certain shorts omitted. They were pissed off that the complete, uncut package that was promised was now not going to come. The Golden Collection was meant to be the definitive release of the classic shorts but sadly WBHV messed it up by going back on what they had intended due to finding said shorts to be "too offensive" and leading to such a large backlash. As a result, the second volume got shelved indefinitely and left a lot of fans burned in the process.

Same thing here, because apparently things can't be left as they were because people complain that something is objectionable or offensive. As far as T&J goes i have the Spotlight Collection volumes because even with their faults (jumbled up order of shorts, some edits, questionable print quality) they remain the closest thing we have to a complete set of the original H-B run of the theatrical shorts. I do have copies of the two offending shorts so their exclusion from the sets themselves arent a huge issue for me.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm Do you remember what happened to Tom and Jerry: Gold Collection Vol. 2 on Blu-ray? It was cancelled. It was targeted at adult collectors but they planned on releasing it censored because it had content may deemed offensive by today's standards. The fans made a huge uproar and that was it, only one volume was released. I'm no fan of T&J but still unfortunate this occurred.

Stuff like that has always irked me, especially when we're talking about products made from a particular period in time. It always makes me think back to this DVD of old Mickey Mouse shorts that my fiance has. It has a short (or maybe a few of them, I forget) that would be considered rather racist by today's standards. But they don't censor them. They present them as is, with an introduction by Leonard Maltin, a renowned film critic, explaining why the shorts are the way they are, why they are not okay today and why they weren't really okay then either, but also explaining that to censor them or to hide them away would only serve to hide that they happened, when instead they should be used as a lesson to show WHY they were wrong. I think similar introductions should be placed in front of similarly dated and 'wrong' films from those earlier time periods, and they should be used as exactly that, examples of a less open-minded and unfortunate period in history, like Song from the South (which Disney insists on half pretending doesn't exist, even while still using one of it's most well-known songs on it's music releases...).

...But that's all in regards to stuff like Tom and Jerry or Mickey Mouse, and such. There's not really anything like that in Dragon Ball to speak of (outside of unfortunate cases regarding General Blue and Advisor Black's Japanese name pun), to really require such an intro. In the cases of blood and 'flipping the bird', they should just give the show an appropriate rating, and parents should then be expected to actually do their jobs and decide if they think the material present is appropriate for their kids. And really, in the case of the middle finger at least, I can practically guarantee that any kid that's ridden a public school bus has seen that gesture before, and probably heard worse cursing than anything you'll find in any version of Dragon Ball.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 am I still feel it will be 4:3 now the issue is it will be in a super expensive collectible box set that not everyone can afford.

Saying everyone bought 16:9 in the past well yeah because it was a cheap option.
Cheap AND the only option, mind you

I suppose that speaks for itself of just how much i care for the series, enough so to search for second hand copies of the good quality out of print release.

Let me say as someone who owns every home media release yes the dragon boxes are the best. However I think the generalization that anyone who chose to own the series in a different format doesn’t care for the series as much is flawed. Right now there is no proper release that has the English Score for the series. These individuals were not going to buy the Dragon Boxes with their favorite musical score left off. Also I don’t think Funimation can expect people to buy this again if it isn’t in 4:3. I win regardless of what they do I either get the series in Blu Ray in the format it was meant to be in or I save lots and lots of money.

Let me point out the fact they raised the reservation total supports the notion of 4:3 even more. Because that is the version that will be more expensive in cost.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm
Cheap AND the only option, mind you

I suppose that speaks for itself of just how much i care for the series, enough so to search for second hand copies of the good quality out of print release.

Let me say as someone who owns every home media release yes the dragon boxes are the best. However I think the generalization that anyone who chose to own the series in a different format doesn’t care for the series as much is flawed. Right now there is no proper release that has the English Score for the series. These individuals were not going to buy the Dragon Boxes with their favorite musical score left off. Also I don’t think Funimation can expect people to buy this again if it isn’t in 4:3. I win regardless of what they do I either get the series in Blu Ray in the format it was meant to be in or I save lots and lots of money.

Let me point out the fact they raised the reservation total supports the notion of 4:3 even more. Because that is the version that will be more expensive in cost.
What's going on? My comment that you quoted there and response isn't showing up.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 pm

I do no know what is going on but I see that :/

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 pm I do no know what is going on but I see that :/
Yeah, i can tell that for some reason your response to my post there is not showing. Technical error perhaps??? Maybe you could try quoting it again or something.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Now what were to happen if everyone refused to by into this and they didn't meet their quota? I have a hard time believing they wouldn't produce the set anyway.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm Let me say as someone who owns every home media release yes the dragon boxes are the best. However I think the generalization that anyone who chose to own the series in a different format doesn’t care for the series as much is flawed.
I've long taken a slight umbridge with that sentiment as well. I own all of DB/Z/GT, and that's via the Season Sets AKA Orange Bricks (save for the two Dragon Boxes I did manage to get). And I'm happy to have them. Compared to the idea of trying to have a bajillion freakin' singles all over the place and only HOPING I'd eventually be able to have the whole franchise (because let's not forget, prior to the orange bricks, we didn't have as easy access to the original 13 episodes of DB or it's first film either), I'll gladly deal with the less-than-perfect remastering and the 16:9 nature of them. I'd never claim they were perfect, but for me at least? I'm happy to at least be able to own the series, period.

If others would rather not own the series at all if they can't get it the exact way it was originally intended, then that's fine too. That's your personal prerogative. But don't act like anyone that owns the Season Sets automatically doesn't care about the series as much as you. Especially not if they've been on this forum for a good length of time and have racked up a pretty good number of posts, as myself and many others have - I'd say that alone shows a level of passion that's beyond the 'casual' nature owners of the Season Sets are often lumped in with.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)