Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 pm
Stuff like that has always irked me, especially when we're talking about products made from a particular period in time. It always makes me think back to this DVD of old Mickey Mouse shorts that my fiance has. It has a short (or maybe a few of them, I forget) that would be considered rather racist by today's standards. But they don't censor them. They present them as is, with an introduction by Leonard Maltin, a renowned film critic, explaining why the shorts are the way they are, why they are not okay today and why they weren't really okay then either, but also explaining that to censor them or to hide them away would only serve to hide that they happened, when instead they should be used as a lesson to show WHY they were wrong. I think similar introductions should be placed in front of similarly dated and 'wrong' films from those earlier time periods, and they should be used as exactly that, examples of a less open-minded and unfortunate period in history, like Song from the South (which Disney insists on half pretending doesn't exist, even while still using one of it's most well-known songs on it's music releases...).

...But that's all in regards to stuff like Tom and Jerry or Mickey Mouse, and such. There's not really anything like that in Dragon Ball to speak of (outside of unfortunate cases regarding General Blue and Advisor Black's Japanese name pun), to really require such an intro. In the cases of blood and 'flipping the bird', they should just give the show an appropriate rating, and parents should then be expected to actually do their jobs and decide if they think the material present is appropriate for their kids. And really, in the case of the middle finger at least, I can practically guarantee that any kid that's ridden a public school bus has seen that gesture before, and probably heard worse cursing than anything you'll find in any version of Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball was intended for Japanese children to watch and thus for kids, but in the West if it requires to rate it as PG-13 or higher then so be it. It's a rating so it won't affect the content of the discs whereas censoring it would.

Aside from various characters flipping the bird, there's also those times when Goku & Raditz had bloody holes in their bodies, Cell adsorbed humans, Super Boo turned Chichi to an egg and then crushed it, some bastard killed Mr. Satan & Majin Boo's dog, Freeza impaled Kuririn (the Kai scene is nowhere near as bloody or violent as Z was)... and probably some other moments I'm forgetting but does all of this prove that it deserves a PG-13 or higher rating in the West? As long as it remains uncut, yeah. I watched Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT and the Movies and I wasn't traumatized by any of it. Just lots of fear mongering these days which ends up with games, movies and anime series being censored.

For example, DMC5 in the West was censored, in Japan it's uncut. Why, why, why! It's an M-rated/PEGI 18 game for crying out loud.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm
Let me say as someone who owns every home media release yes the dragon boxes are the best. However I think the generalization that anyone who chose to own the series in a different format doesn’t care for the series as much is flawed.
I've long taken a slight umbridge with that sentiment as well. I own all of DB/Z/GT, and that's via the Season Sets AKA Orange Bricks (save for the two Dragon Boxes I did manage to get). And I'm happy to have them. Compared to the idea of trying to have a bajillion freakin' singles all over the place and only HOPING I'd eventually be able to have the whole franchise (because let's not forget, prior to the orange bricks, we didn't have as easy access to the original 13 episodes of DB or it's first film either), I'll gladly deal with the less-than-perfect remastering and the 16:9 nature of them. I'd never claim they were perfect, but for me at least? I'm happy to at least be able to own the series, period.

If others would rather not own the series at all if they can't get it the exact way it was originally intended, then that's fine too. That's your personal prerogative. But don't act like anyone that owns the Season Sets automatically doesn't care about the series as much as you. Especially not if they've been on this forum for a good length of time and have racked up a pretty good number of posts, as myself and many others have - I'd say that alone shows a level of passion that's beyond the 'casual' nature owners of the Season Sets are often lumped in with.
In terms of myself with my collection personally, i am happy that i went with the Dragon Boxes because it was mostly a case of i really wanted the show in the original aspect ratio and the broadcast dub track wasn't a factor in my decision as i'm not overly nostalgic for it and given that the they are pretty much my definitive way for watching the series in Japanese with the complete package in great visual quality. I am currently still on the hunt for volumes 4 and 7 but my collection is a work in progress approaching completion. Now for the original Dragon Ball series i have all five of the "Blue Brick" seasons mostly because the old Saga sets are hard to come by these days, not to mention those are the only way here in the States that you can get the first thirteen episodes of the first arc because of FUNi's inability to release them for so long due to the long standing Kidmark/Trimark/Lionsgate sublicese. Overall, they are decent even with missing the second opening animation and other three closings as well as the next episode previews. But of course, that has to do with the materials that Toei had sent them when they were producing the DB dub back in the early 2000's.

So yeah, the seasons aren't bad even if they aren't absolutely perfect either.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I am glad you are tracking down the best way to own the series as for me i went with :shock: The Dragon Boxes, The Blu Rays, The Rock The Dragon Set, The Japanese Dragon Boxes, The 2 level sets, Dragon Ball Z Kai all Parts ;) . Note: I left off the horrible orange bricks. Blu Rays are my only way to satisfy the nostalgia even though i prefer the Kikuchki score. I am crossing my fingers for that 4:3 release that has both the Faulconer score and Original Japanese Broadcast Audio. That would be amazing. If they could color correct the scenes that would also be nice ;)

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 pm
I am glad you are tracking down the best way to own the series as for me i went with :shock: The Dragon Boxes, The Blu Rays, The Rock The Dragon Set, The Japanese Dragon Boxes, The 2 level sets, Dragon Ball Z Kai all Parts ;) . Note: I left off the horrible orange bricks. Blu Rays are my only way to satisfy the nostalgia even though i prefer the Kikuchki score. I am crossing my fingers for that 4:3 release that has both the Faulconer score and Original Japanese Broadcast Audio. That would be amazing. If they could color correct the scenes that would also be nice ;)
Yeah, for me my collection breaks down as follows.

DB: "Blue Brick" seasons

DBZ: Dragon Boxes

GT: singles

Kai: Parts (1-4 for Yamamoto score and up to Part 6 currently; still got to pick up Parts 7 and 8 )

Z specials: singles

DB/DBZ movies: mix of singles and movie packs

Super: Parts (Wish there were season sets out)
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm

For me its
DB: One blue Brick the rest the singles :D and the Jap Dbox ;)
DBZ: Dragon Box Z, Blu Rays, Rock the Dragon Level Sets: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
GT: Who Cares :sick:
Kai: All the Parts
Movies: The Packs: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
Super: All the Parts :D

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8839
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

For me, it'd go -

Dragon Ball: The five 'Blue Brick' Season Sets.
Dragon Ball Z: Eight of the nine 'Orange Brick' Season Sets, two of the Dragon Box sets.
Dragon Ball GT: The two 'Yellow Brick' Season Sets (which also includes the TV Special).
Dragon Ball Films: I've got the single re-release of the first film, then the old box set (not the slimpack) of the other three films.
Dragon Ball Z Films/TV Specials: The steelcase Double Features (or Triple in the case of Broly) releases that came out alongside the Season Sets. DVD/Bluray combos for Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The original Parts releases on Bluray. This same holds true for 'The Final Chapters'.
Dragon Ball Super: All of the released Bluray Parts so far.

...annnnnddddd then DVD singles for the old Chinese live-action film and Evolution. I know I've got random singles here and there for purposes of extras that were never put anywhere else (and DVD singles of the three Ocean dubbed movies), but that's basically it.

Again, I'm happy to own it all, but I can definitely see where I'd jump at an upgrade (at least for Z, since it's Season Sets are the worst offenders) if it's affordable and actually better. Just going to take a lot to be both of those things.

Edit: Had to amend my part on DBZ, because even after bringing it up earlier, I forgot again in the context of posting that I actually only have eight of the Season Sets now, as Dragon Box One made Season One needless so I gave it away (Dragon Box Five however has episodes not on it that required me to keep Season Sets that would have otherwise not be needed).
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm
For me its
DB: One blue Brick the rest the singles :D and the Jap Dbox ;)
DBZ: Dragon Box Z, Blu Rays, Rock the Dragon Level Sets: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
GT: Who Cares :sick:
Kai: All the Parts
Movies: The Packs: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
Super: All the Parts :D
Sort of similar in some of those, although unlike you i don't have the Levels or the Rock the Dragon set or even more importantely the super awesome original JPN Dragon Boxes. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm
For me, it'd go -

Dragon Ball: The five 'Blue Brick' Season Sets.
Dragon Ball Z: The nine 'Orange Brick' Season Sets.
Dragon Ball GT: The two 'Yellow Brick' Season Sets (which also includes the TV Special).
Dragon Ball Films: I've got the single re-release of the first film, then the old box set (not the slimpack) of the other three films.
Dragon Ball Z Films/TV Specials: The steelcase Double Features (or Triple in the case of Broly) releases that came out alongside the Season Sets. DVD/Bluray combos for Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The original Parts releases on Bluray. This same holds true for 'The Final Chapters'.
Dragon Ball Super: All of the released Bluray Parts so far.

...annnnnddddd then DVD singles for the old Chinese live-action film and Evolution. I know I've got random singles here and there for purposes of extras that were never put anywhere else (and DVD singles of the three Ocean dubbed movies), but that's basically it.

Again, I'm happy to own it all, but I can definitely see where I'd jump at an upgrade (at least for Z, since it's Season Sets are the worst offenders) if it's affordable and actually better. Just going to take a lot to be both of those things.
If this 30th Anniversary Blu Ray release is 4:3 will you get it?

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm
For me its
DB: One blue Brick the rest the singles :D and the Jap Dbox ;)
DBZ: Dragon Box Z, Blu Rays, Rock the Dragon Level Sets: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
GT: Who Cares :sick:
Kai: All the Parts
Movies: The Packs: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
Super: All the Parts :D
Sort of similar in some of those, although unlike you i don't have the Levels or the Rock the Dragon set or even more importantely the super awesome original JPN Dragon Boxes. :lol:
IF You ever want the Japanese Dragon Boxes for a relatively affordable cost i know how to still track them down ;)

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm
For me its
DB: One blue Brick the rest the singles :D and the Jap Dbox ;)
DBZ: Dragon Box Z, Blu Rays, Rock the Dragon Level Sets: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
GT: Who Cares :sick:
Kai: All the Parts
Movies: The Packs: Japanese Dragon Boxes ;)
Super: All the Parts :D
Sort of similar in some of those, although unlike you i don't have the Levels or the Rock the Dragon set or even more importantely the super awesome original JPN Dragon Boxes. :lol:
IF You ever want the Japanese Dragon Boxes for a relatively affordable cost i know how to still track them down ;)
I mean if i do eventually get to the point to where i have the means set aside to get them i may go for the OG series Dragon Box and the movies, but not sure about DBZ since the FUNi Dragon Boxes are good enough for me and as for GT the singles on the Japanese track is basically a DBox style presentation so mixed on that one too.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm
I mean if i do eventually get to the point to where i have the means set aside to get them i may go for the OG series Dragon Box and the movies, but not sure about DBZ since the FUNi Dragon Boxes are good enough for me and as for GT the singles on the Japanese track is basically a DBox style presentation so mixed on that one too.
The best thing in my opinion about the US Dragon Boxes Z are the Dragon Books, I've yet to read them but they're well worth one's time. FUNi's Dragon Box Z lacks extras but I suppose the Dragon Books make up for it. :)

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Am seeing comments on social media, people saying they aren't willing to pay $500.
Personally, I just don't see them charging less than that.
We don't know all the details, there could be a lot more in that box, which will make it "worth it" to those that see it as being too expensive.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm
I mean if i do eventually get to the point to where i have the means set aside to get them i may go for the OG series Dragon Box and the movies, but not sure about DBZ since the FUNi Dragon Boxes are good enough for me and as for GT the singles on the Japanese track is basically a DBox style presentation so mixed on that one too.
The best thing in my opinion about the US Dragon Boxes Z are the Dragon Books, I've yet to read them but they're well worth one's time. FUNi's Dragon Box Z lacks extras but I suppose the Dragon Books make up for it. :)
I mean yeah, they lack the on disc extras (16mm clips, textless OP/ED.etc) that were in the two Japanese Z boxes but that has to do with the space on the discs. They only had so much room and i guess in the end they either didn't have enough space or maybe were sent just the episodes themselves by Toei and none of the other content, though some of the things like the TV specials aren't a big deal seeing as i have both of them already.

Still, the Dragon Books are cool as scaled down versions of the two original volumes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8839
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:52 pm
If this 30th Anniversary Blu Ray release is 4:3 will you get it?
Like I said, it all depends on price. And while I'd love to get it, I have this sinking feeling that it'll likely cost WAY more than I can feasibly pay for it. Not only just because it'd be double-dipping (buying something I already technically own), but just because...well, I'm not made of money. :lol:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 pm
Am seeing comments on social media, people saying they aren't willing to pay $500.
Personally, I just don't see them charging less than that.
We don't know all the details, there could be a lot more in that box, which will make it "worth it" to those that see it as being too expensive.
Like for example, if it's $500? That's WAY out of my price range, especially for something I already own. I mean, holy crap, I could buy a Nintendo Switch for that and STILL have money left over. It's just not feasible for me at this point in my life, and honestly, even if I were to strike it rich, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make myself part with that much cash for just one show.

No, what I'm really hoping against hope for is that maybe, just maybe, we'll get a scaled down release after this at some point. Use these (hopefully uncut and really pretty) masters, and put them out in individual sets again, without any of the physical extras (hopefully they'd be allowed to keep on-disc extras though), and sell them for a more affordable price. Now that, that I can work with.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5048
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm
Like for example, if it's $500? That's WAY out of my price range, especially for something I already own. I mean, holy crap, I could buy a Nintendo Switch for that and STILL have money left over. It's just not feasible for me at this point in my life, and honestly, even if I were to strike it rich, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make myself part with that much cash for just one show.

No, what I'm really hoping against hope for is that maybe, just maybe, we'll get a scaled down release after this at some point. Use these (hopefully uncut and really pretty) masters, and put them out in individual sets again, without any of the physical extras (hopefully they'd be allowed to keep on-disc extras though), and sell them for a more affordable price. Now that, that I can work with.
One of the problems of being such a long-runner: makes it impossible to sell all of it at a reasonable price, even when you cut out half of it and call it Z!

I too am hoping that they'll sell a less premium version of the boxset, particularly because I have no interest in the physical extras like the statue. Just give me the discs with a nice presentational box (that isn't too extravagant, obviously) at a reasonable price.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:52 pm
If this 30th Anniversary Blu Ray release is 4:3 will you get it?
Like I said, it all depends on price. And while I'd love to get it, I have this sinking feeling that it'll likely cost WAY more than I can feasibly pay for it. Not only just because it'd be double-dipping (buying something I already technically own), but just because...well, I'm not made of money. :lol:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 pm
Am seeing comments on social media, people saying they aren't willing to pay $500.
Personally, I just don't see them charging less than that.
We don't know all the details, there could be a lot more in that box, which will make it "worth it" to those that see it as being too expensive.
Like for example, if it's $500? That's WAY out of my price range, especially for something I already own. I mean, holy crap, I could buy a Nintendo Switch for that and STILL have money left over. It's just not feasible for me at this point in my life, and honestly, even if I were to strike it rich, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make myself part with that much cash for just one show.

No, what I'm really hoping against hope for is that maybe, just maybe, we'll get a scaled down release after this at some point. Use these (hopefully uncut and really pretty) masters, and put them out in individual sets again, without any of the physical extras (hopefully they'd be allowed to keep on-disc extras though), and sell them for a more affordable price. Now that, that I can work with.
Same here and as much as a collector's edition is really cool and all i can't just plunk down that much money, now like you said if FUNi later puts out these new versions assuming they really are 4:3 in smaller volumes then i'd be willing to go for it.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Char Aznable
Regular
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm
Like for example, if it's $500? That's WAY out of my price range, especially for something I already own. I mean, holy crap, I could buy a Nintendo Switch for that and STILL have money left over. It's just not feasible for me at this point in my life, and honestly, even if I were to strike it rich, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make myself part with that much cash for just one show.

No, what I'm really hoping against hope for is that maybe, just maybe, we'll get a scaled down release after this at some point. Use these (hopefully uncut and really pretty) masters, and put them out in individual sets again, without any of the physical extras (hopefully they'd be allowed to keep on-disc extras though), and sell them for a more affordable price. Now that, that I can work with.
One of the problems of being such a long-runner: makes it impossible to sell all of it at a reasonable price, even when you cut out half of it and call it Z!

I too am hoping that they'll sell a less premium version of the boxset, particularly because I have no interest in the physical extras like the statue. Just give me the discs with a nice presentational box (that isn't too extravagant, obviously) at a reasonable price.
Probably not going to happen. If this truly is 4:3 it won’t matter to FUNimation, if you’re looking for budget singles they’ll point you to the 16:9 Blu-rays and tell you to buy that.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8839
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 pm

It's sadly not likely to happen yeah, but one can always hope.

For what it's worth though, I did enter my e-mail as one of the ones interested in the production of this set. Even if it turns out to be too expensive for me personally to get, I'd like for it to exist for those who are interested, and again, there's always that super long shot that it WON'T be too expensive for me or will get a cheaper re-issue at a later date in time.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm
Like for example, if it's $500? That's WAY out of my price range, especially for something I already own. I mean, holy crap, I could buy a Nintendo Switch for that and STILL have money left over. It's just not feasible for me at this point in my life, and honestly, even if I were to strike it rich, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make myself part with that much cash for just one show.

No, what I'm really hoping against hope for is that maybe, just maybe, we'll get a scaled down release after this at some point. Use these (hopefully uncut and really pretty) masters, and put them out in individual sets again, without any of the physical extras (hopefully they'd be allowed to keep on-disc extras though), and sell them for a more affordable price. Now that, that I can work with.
One of the problems of being such a long-runner: makes it impossible to sell all of it at a reasonable price, even when you cut out half of it and call it Z!

I too am hoping that they'll sell a less premium version of the boxset, particularly because I have no interest in the physical extras like the statue. Just give me the discs with a nice presentational box (that isn't too extravagant, obviously) at a reasonable price.
Even still while this may be an expensive limited release, it has nothing on how much the Japanese Dragon Boxes specifically the DB and Z volumes 1 and 2 boxes cost which was approximately ¥100,000 or about $800 a piece. In the case of those, they were limited collector's items which Toei/Pony Canyon manufactured based on the total number of orders they had recieved in the specific alloted periods during the year when the pre order was available. The difference is that the Dragon Boxes were the first ever release of the entire franchise in Japan where the only things that had been out prior were the original run of the movies on VHS and Laserdisc. In terms of the times the astronomical cost can be reasoned on the above plus the fact that most who would spend the crazy money on them were those super nostalgic fans that had grown up with the series when it was on TV who had the disposable income to buy them, though they did also put out the individual DVD's for each series and all movies later for those who simply couldn't afford the boxes, so they had the bases covered as far as that goes.

I know it's a tough comparison when home video releases in Japan are so much more pricier than releases here in the a States but just thought i'd raise that point.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Char Aznable
Regular
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:47 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm
Like for example, if it's $500? That's WAY out of my price range, especially for something I already own. I mean, holy crap, I could buy a Nintendo Switch for that and STILL have money left over. It's just not feasible for me at this point in my life, and honestly, even if I were to strike it rich, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make myself part with that much cash for just one show.

No, what I'm really hoping against hope for is that maybe, just maybe, we'll get a scaled down release after this at some point. Use these (hopefully uncut and really pretty) masters, and put them out in individual sets again, without any of the physical extras (hopefully they'd be allowed to keep on-disc extras though), and sell them for a more affordable price. Now that, that I can work with.
One of the problems of being such a long-runner: makes it impossible to sell all of it at a reasonable price, even when you cut out half of it and call it Z!

I too am hoping that they'll sell a less premium version of the boxset, particularly because I have no interest in the physical extras like the statue. Just give me the discs with a nice presentational box (that isn't too extravagant, obviously) at a reasonable price.
Even still while this may be an expensive limited release, it has nothing on how much the Japanese Dragon Boxes specifically the DB and Z volumes 1 and 2 boxes cost which was approximately ¥100,000 or about $800 a piece. In the case of those, they were limited collector's items which Toei/Pony Canyon manufactured based on the total number of orders they had recieved in the specific alloted periods during the year when the pre order was available. The difference is that the Dragon Boxes were the first ever release of the entire franchise in Japan where the only things that had been out prior were the original run of the movies on VHS and Laserdisc. In terms of the times the astronomical cost can be reasoned on the above plus the fact that most who would spend the crazy money on them were those super nostalgic fans that had grown up with the series when it was on TV who had the disposable income to buy them, though they did also put out the individual DVD's for each series and all movies later for those who simply couldn't afford the boxes, so they had the bases covered as far as that goes.

I know it's a tough comparison when home video releases in Japan are so much more pricier than releases here in the a States but just thought i'd raise that point.
Plus those Dragon Boxes did eventually get rereleased in Japan as singles with arguably some of the most beautiful cover art I’ve ever seen, honestly if I was in Japan I’d rather get the singles. I can’t see that happening with these here because FUNimation has saturated the market so much now. If they never did UUE or the bricks we probably would’ve seen Dragon Box singles here too as soon as they stopped producing the boxes, and life would’ve been so much easier for everyone.

Post Reply