Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 am

There is a panel today at SXSW, hosted by Funimation, in celebration of their 25th anniversary about anime and gaming.
Dragon Ball is part of it, and they will discuss what is to come in their 25th year as a company.

Maybe they will announce further details about this set there? it starts at 14.30 - 15.30 CDT.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 am There is a panel today at SXSW, hosted by Funimation, in celebration of their 25th anniversary about anime and gaming.
Dragon Ball is part of it, and they will discuss what is to come in their 25th year as a company.

Maybe they will announce further details about this set there? it starts at 14.30 - 15.30 CDT.
Ooo, good catch!

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 am There is a panel today at SXSW, hosted by Funimation, in celebration of their 25th anniversary about anime and gaming.

Is that specific panel being streamed? I found a scheduled SXSW livestream on YouTube but didn't see anything about Funimation in the description.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 am

Is that specific panel being streamed? I found a scheduled SXSW livestream on YouTube but didn't see anything about Funimation in the description.
Panel was a washout. Damn. No idea as to when they are going to announce more info.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:47 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pmPanel was a washout. Damn. No idea as to when they are going to announce more info.
Elaborate? Washout is a pretty vague term, at least to me...

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:35 pm

He means there wasn’t any news on the new set. I’m sure it was interesting none-the-less, tho. I’m assuming it was about Funimation’s history.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:01 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:35 pmI’m sure it was interesting none-the-less, tho. I’m assuming it was about Funimation’s history.
"were da best and all our dvds r perfect"

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm
Panel was a washout. Damn. No idea as to when they are going to announce more info.
At this point, I'm just hoping for a date they DON'T make an announcement: April 3rd. Because if that is the day they announce, it almost feels like a nail in the coffin for our 4:3 AR dreams, since the images of the three- and four-star balls will have actually been to signify the day of official announcement. I worry a lot, maybe too much, but whatever. Feels like a lot rides on this. It would likely be the last time in a long time that we get another chance at a new remaster.

Just PLEASE FUNi, do the right thing. Give DBZ the treatment that such a money-maker deserves. Think of all the series has done for you, and return the favor...
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

sumpter360 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm Panel was a washout. Damn. No idea as to when they are going to announce more info.
At this point, I'm just hoping for a date they DON'T make an announcement: April 3rd. Because if that is the day they announce, it almost feels like a nail in the coffin for our 4:3 AR dreams,
But what if the release date is the 16th of September??

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 am

There is another announcement date that would be very problematic to 4/1 :shock:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 am There is another announcement date that would be very problematic to 4/1 :shock:
April Foooooools! Orange Bricks squashed back to 4:3 in 4K!!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 am There is another announcement date that would be very problematic to 4/1 :shock:
Maybe it WILL be April 3, 4/3, to go along with the Dragon Balls where we'll get the first wave announcement for the set for the earliest information on the video & audio quality, with more to come later on. Then those might also take a double meaning with them keeping the series in 4:3 due to these remasters being in HD already &, thus, don't need to be cropped by FUNi like Kai 1.0.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 am

At this point, I'm just hoping for a date they DON'T make an announcement: April 3rd. Because if that is the day they announce, it almost feels like a nail in the coffin for our 4:3 AR dreams, since the images of the three- and four-star balls will have actually been to signify the day of official announcement. I worry a lot, maybe too much, but whatever. Feels like a lot rides on this. It would likely be the last time in a long time that we get another chance at a new remaster.

Just PLEASE FUNi, do the right thing. Give DBZ the treatment that such a money-maker deserves. Think of all the series has done for you, and return the favor...
Get ready for those Dragon Boxes to shoot up in value when they announce 16:9 Toei-censored DBZ ‘the way it was meant to be seen’.
KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 am
That sounds stunning, truly the greatest release ever, I hope it was given an extra layer of DVNR!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 am
Maybe it WILL be April 3, 4/3, to go along with the Dragon Balls where we'll get the first wave announcement for the set for the earliest information on the video & audio quality, with more to come later on. Then those might also take a double meaning with them keeping the series in 4:3 due to these remasters being in HD already &, thus, don't need to be cropped by FUNi like Kai 1.0.
My man, that's just how Akira Toriyama intended for Dragon Ball Z to be seen. /s

What could possibly go wrong between a company that censors their content and one that crops series/movies really poorly? Let's hope for the best, still.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:59 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 amWhat could possibly go wrong between a company that censors their content and one that crops series/movies really poorly? Let's hope for the best, still.
Got me wondering, are there any anime publishers that tend to leave their old series untouched when releasing them in modern times?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:17 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:59 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 amWhat could possibly go wrong between a company that censors their content and one that crops series/movies really poorly? Let's hope for the best, still.
Got me wondering, are there any anime publishers that tend to leave their old series untouched when releasing them in modern times?
Discotek Media, I'd say. They released a DVD set of Dr. Slump movies 1-5 and they were intact in Japanese but I think they decided to cheapen out by using DVD5 discs over DVD9 discs.

It really doesn't look bad at all but there are times you can see compression having its effect.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:17 am
Discotek Media, I'd say. They released a DVD set of Dr. Slump movies 1-5 and they were intact in Japanese but I think they decided to cheapen out by using DVD5 discs over DVD9 discs.

It really doesn't look bad at all but there are times you can see compression having its effect.

That being said, for a budget release it was pretty good. Plus it was nice to finally see some Slump, english subbed, legal and all.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:17 am

Hmm, think I used the wrong terminology. I meant companies like Toei who commission anime to be made and have a big hand in those anime's home media/streaming being released.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 am

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 am

Get ready for those Dragon Boxes to shoot up in value when they announce 16:9 Toei-censored DBZ ‘the way it was meant to be seen’.
KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 am
That sounds stunning, truly the greatest release ever, I hope it was given an extra layer of DVNR!
Yeah, as if the last two 16:9, DNR'd to oblivion "remasters" of DBZ in 2007 and 2013 weren't enough to satisfy those casual fans who watch the show with the Faulconer score and don't like the pillar boxed 4:3 picture on their widescreen televisions.

Truth is, i really hope that isn't the case because it's been ages since we had a proper release with the original aspect ratio and the picture being left as is without an automated smear fest.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 amTruth is, i really hope that isn't the case because it's been ages since we had a proper release with the original aspect ratio and the picture being left as is without an automated smear fest.
Assuming that the 30th Home Release isn't a premium package of the Blu Bricks with a statue (GOD I hope it's not that!), it wouldn't make sense to make a product that caters to that existing customer base. Anyone who hasn't bought the Blu-Bricks will likely be holding out due to the reasons many of us have: 16:9 crop, horrible grading, and overly-extreme DNR. With the 30th Anniversary this year AND Toei doing a rescan of the series (if indeed they are, I don't think it's been confirmed that they have), it'd be a great reason to push out a more definitive issue of a product you're already selling.