Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:47 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pmPanel was a washout. Damn. No idea as to when they are going to announce more info.
Elaborate? Washout is a pretty vague term, at least to me...
Funimation's twitter account spent the entire day yesterday live tweeting the Code Geass movies. I'm going to assume whatever their panel was did not feature any new announcements.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:47 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:47 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pmPanel was a washout. Damn. No idea as to when they are going to announce more info.
Elaborate? Washout is a pretty vague term, at least to me...
Funimation's twitter account spent the entire day yesterday live tweeting the Code Geass movies. I'm going to assume whatever their panel was did not feature any new announcements.
Gotcha. Oh well.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:44 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 amTruth is, i really hope that isn't the case because it's been ages since we had a proper release with the original aspect ratio and the picture being left as is without an automated smear fest.
Assuming that the 30th Home Release isn't a premium package of the Blu Bricks with a statue (GOD I hope it's not that!), it wouldn't make sense to make a product that caters to that existing customer base. Anyone who hasn't bought the Blu-Bricks will likely be holding out due to the reasons many of us have: 16:9 crop, horrible grading, and overly-extreme DNR. With the 30th Anniversary this year AND Toei doing a rescan of the series (if indeed they are, I don't think it's been confirmed that they have), it'd be a great reason to push out a more definitive issue of a product you're already selling.
Yes, i have my fingers crossed that this new release isn't simply a straight repackage of the Season BD's. If FUNi and Toei are in a joint collaboration on this it just wouldn't make sense for them to do that. I guess we will have to wait and see until the specs are released for us to truly know what it is we are getting here.

It's about time they give the series it's due and put out a release that isn't utter garbage in terms of the video quality, we have really been long overdue for it.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:51 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 am
Scsigs wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 am There is another announcement date that would be very problematic to 4/1 :shock:
Maybe it WILL be April 3, 4/3, to go along with the Dragon Balls where we'll get the first wave announcement for the set for the earliest information on the video & audio quality, with more to come later on. Then those might also take a double meaning with them keeping the series in 4:3 due to these remasters being in HD already &, thus, don't need to be cropped by FUNi like Kai 1.0.
My man, that's just how Akira Toriyama intended for Dragon Ball Z to be seen. /s

What could possibly go wrong between a company that censors their content and one that crops series/movies really poorly? Let's hope for the best, still.
Gotta love cynicism.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:44 pmYes, i have my fingers crossed that this new release isn't simply a straight repackage of the Season BD's. If FUNi and Toei are in a joint collaboration on this it just wouldn't make sense for them to do that. I guess we will have to wait and see until the specs are released for us to truly know what it is we are getting here.

It's about time they give the series it's due and put out a release that isn't utter garbage in terms of the video quality, we have really been long overdue for it.
For me, I can see Toei's involvement being one of two things:

Repackage: If it's a repackage of the Blu Bricks, then Toei is there mainly for work on the included book, and to make it seem like they're more involved with the US side of the celebrations.
Rescan: If it's the rumored Toei HD rescan, then Toei's involvement will help make the set look like a bigger deal than Funi's own remaster for the Blu-Bricks. And/Or, Funimation's assistance will mean that this set (or a version of it) will see a more global release, meaning that this same set may be sold in Japan as a multi-region (or maybe even region-free) bilingual offering, supporting both Japanese and English audio and menus.

As a side-note, despite their deservedly bad reputation with remasters, I've always wondered why Toei hasn't used Funimation for that type of service in the past. We know from the Ultimate Uncuts and the Level sets that they ARE capable of turning out great scan remasters from third-generation masters, so could you imagine what they'd be capable of if they could do a great remaster from the original master?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:44 pmYes, i have my fingers crossed that this new release isn't simply a straight repackage of the Season BD's. If FUNi and Toei are in a joint collaboration on this it just wouldn't make sense for them to do that. I guess we will have to wait and see until the specs are released for us to truly know what it is we are getting here.

For me, I can see Toei's involvement being one of two things:

Repackage: If it's a repackage of the Blu Bricks, then Toei is there mainly for work on the included book, and to make it seem like they're more involved with the US side of the celebrations.
Rescan: If it's the rumored Toei HD rescan, then Toei's involvement will help make the set look like a bigger deal than Funi's own remaster for the Blu-Bricks. And/Or, Funimation's assistance will mean that this set (or a version of it) will see a more global release, meaning that this same set may be sold in Japan as a multi-region (or maybe even region-free) bilingual offering, supporting both Japanese and English audio and menus.

As a side-note, despite their deservedly bad reputation with remasters, I've always wondered why Toei hasn't used Funimation for that type of service in the past. We know from the Ultimate Uncuts and the Level sets that they ARE capable of turning out great scan remasters from third-generation masters, so could you imagine what they'd be capable of if they could do a great remaster from the original master?
At least i hope it's the second one of the two, that would make more sense for the 30th anniversary than just simply repackaging the current BD's but i guess we will just have to see when the release is announced.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm For me, I can see Toei's involvement being one of two things:

Would you be able to call them the Season Blu-rays rather than "Blu Bricks"? Because there's a Dragon Ball DVD release that we call the Blue Bricks, so your naming can possibly create some confusion.
The Level Sets were great, however the Ultimate Uncuts were not a remaster, but rather just a straight up transfer of their old tapes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:20 pm

thaman91 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 pm Would you be able to call them the Season Blu-rays rather than "Blu Bricks"? Because there's a Dragon Ball DVD release that we call the Blue Bricks, so your naming can possibly create some confusion.
I started calling them that after seeing a few users here do it. Maybe if I add a hyphen, so Blu-Bricks? Y'know, like Blu-Ray?
thaman91 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 pmThe Level Sets were great, however the Ultimate Uncuts were not a remaster, but rather just a straight up transfer of their old tapes.
Ah, gotcha! For some reason I felt like the UUEs and Levels were that identical in their history.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:40 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:20 pm
thaman91 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 pm Would you be able to call them the Season Blu-rays rather than "Blu Bricks"? Because there's a Dragon Ball DVD release that we call the Blue Bricks, so your naming can possibly create some confusion.
I started calling them that after seeing a few users here do it. Maybe if I add a hyphen, so Blu-Bricks? Y'know, like Blu-Ray?
thaman91 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 pmThe Level Sets were great, however the Ultimate Uncuts were not a remaster, but rather just a straight up transfer of their old tapes.
Ah, gotcha! For some reason I felt like the UUEs and Levels were that identical in their history.
I have said before that if FUNi had used their existing digibeta masters back in 2007 for the season sets albeit with a little touching up, it would have been a much better situation than what they did with the cropping and automated DNR'ing.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:48 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:20 pm
The Blu-ray sets don't use the brick style packaging though, or am I mistaken?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 pm

The joke is that like the orange bricks, they're shit. I think it'd make more sense to just call them the HD Orange Bricks, but whatever.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Did FUNi put the Blu-ray or orange brick version on FUNimation Now? I checked out one the episode where Freeza transforms to his second form on it of curiosity recently and my only thought was how shitty it looks. They wouldn’t actually have the gall to rerelease that and call it a special 30th anniversary edition, would they? Then again like I said, I’m pessimistic about this.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 pm The joke is that like the orange bricks, they're shit. I think it'd make more sense to just call them the HD Orange Bricks, but whatever.
The reason they were called the orange bricks is because the shape and size of their packaging were akin to bricks.

Calling the BD sets "HD Orange Bricks" makes even less sense, because they're neither orange, nor bricks.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:48 pmThe Blu-ray sets don't use the brick style packaging though, or am I mistaken?
No, but they're the Blu-Ray equivalent, right? The collection is orange and one big box, so maybe that's the Orange Block? I dunno, names are weird.
Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 pmThe joke is that like the orange bricks, they're shit.
Yeah, pretty much this.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 pm

I tend to call them "Season Blu-rays" and "Season DVDs" but it is more precise to identify it as "Orange Bricks on Blu-ray" or/and "Orange Bricks on DVD" (due to the picture quality).

Curse FUNimation for making those abhorrent products. Then again, average customers absolutely love them whether on Blu-ray or DVD.

Please, please don't screw this up, TOEI. :| Worst case scenario, there's always the Japanese and American Dragon Boxes Z. :)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:44 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 pm I tend to call them "Season Blu-rays" and "Season DVDs" but it is more precise to identify it as "Orange Bricks on Blu-ray" or/and "Orange Bricks on DVD" (due to the picture quality).

Curse FUNimation for making those abhorrent products. Then again, average customers absolutely love them whether on Blu-ray or DVD.

Please, please don't screw this up, TOEI. :| Worst case scenario, there's always the Japanese and American Dragon Boxes Z. :)
I mean if worse comes to worse i have most of the FUNi Z Dragon Boxes myself and still looking for the last two that i still need which is volumes 4 and 7, so in any case i still have my definitive release of the series regardless of how this anniversary set turns out. Though i would still really like for this to be a proper HD remaster in the original 4:3 aspect ratio because we are long overdue for such a release.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 pm I tend to call them "Season Blu-rays" and "Season DVDs" but it is more precise to identify it as "Orange Bricks on Blu-ray" or/and "Orange Bricks on DVD" (due to the picture quality).

What makes a "Season Blu-ray" precisely called an Orange Brick, that doesn't make a "Level Set" precisely called an "Orange Brick"?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm

The remasterization and picture quality, it's equally as bad if not even worse. Season 9 on DVD looks fairly acceptable and would've been more or less decent had it been 4:3:AR.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm The remasterization and picture quality, it's equally as bad if not even worse. Season 9 on DVD looks fairly acceptable and would've been more or less decent had it been 4:3:AR.
Okay II get it. I guess I just feel the term is pretty confusing seeing as how from the outside of the box, the Orange Brick Blu-rays and the Orange Level set blu-rays look almost identical. It might confuse a consumer into thinking all orange brick-shaped DBZ releases are bad. Just seems like an unnecessarily confusing term to call it by for that reason.

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 pm

If you need to use a pejorative, "Blue slabs" is one I remember seeing back when the sets were first coming out.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!