Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:26 pm Theory, literally just thought of it. What if FUNi got more than the initial 2500 sign-ups for this set & they wanted to artificially inflate the number of people who've signed up since we don't know that number.
I believe the sign ups weren't actually an agreement to purchase, but simply signing up to receive news via email.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:26 pm Theory, literally just thought of it. What if FUNi got more than the initial 2500 sign-ups for this set & they wanted to artificially inflate the number of people who've signed up since we don't know that number.
I believe the sign ups weren't actually an agreement to purchase, but simply signing up to receive news via email.
Yeah, but it was also to get a baseline number of people to show they were interested so they could start producing them. That's why they put it up. They won't produce them unless they get at least 3000 people to show they're interested.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:34 pm IDK but the longer this drags on the dumber i think Funimation was for making the decision to announce any details with this set. If they don't have details about this set by mid april i say it was an epic fail :/
I agree with rs_chaosmaster, you know waiting for more details has gotten tiresome when fans start theorizing the particulars of the product's newsletter. Just announce that the damn thing's 4:3 and let me pay my $500 already. :yawn:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:03 am

Kuwabara wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:34 pm IDK but the longer this drags on the dumber i think Funimation was for making the decision to announce any details with this set. If they don't have details about this set by mid april i say it was an epic fail :/
I agree with rs_chaosmaster, you know waiting for more details has gotten tiresome when fans start theorizing the particulars of the product's newsletter. Just announce that the damn thing's 4:3 and let me pay my $500 already. :yawn:

500? I'd say it'll cost 1000.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:03 am
Kuwabara wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 am

500? I'd say it'll cost 1000.
Geez, that would be straight up insane for this release to cost even remotely that much. That price is about equal if a bit less than the combined total of what the two Japanese Z Dragon Boxes retailed for back in 2003.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:03 am 500? I'd say it'll cost 1000.
Yeah, $1000 would be a hard sell. They'd have to promise handjobs from Chris Sabat for the majority of US fans to even consider that.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 am Geez, that would be insane for this release to cost that much. That price is about equal if a bit less than the total of what the two Japanese Z Dragon Boxes retailed for combined back in 2003.
Sadly, it's 2019, and there is such a thing as inflation...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:17 am

Kuwabara wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 am
Yeah, $1000 would be a hard sell. They'd have to promise handjobs from Chris Sabat for the majority of US fans to even consider that.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 am Geez, that would be insane for this release to cost that much. That price is about equal if a bit less than the total of what the two Japanese Z Dragon Boxes retailed for combined back in 2003.
I mean yeah, it's a given that this set is going to be an expensive collector's edition but i just don't see them placing the price that excruciatingly high. Of course, we don't know what exactly it shall be amongst all the other details. Placing it at $1000 would really greatly narrow down who would actually buy it, which would likely be only the most die hard fans who have a butt load of spare cash just sitting around.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:17 am
I mean yeah, it's a given that this set is going to be an expensive collector's edition but i just don't see them placing the price that excruciatingly high. Of course, we don't know what exactly it shall be amongst all the other details. Placing it at $1000 would really greatly narrow down who would actually buy it, which would likely be only the most die hard fans who have a butt load of spare cash just sitting around.
But this is what this collector edition is. It's for the die hard folks.

Also 1. The used dragon boxes go for almost that if in good condition, and 2. I paid the new price for the Japanese dragon boxes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 am

Also 1. The used dragon boxes go for almost that if in good condition, and 2. I paid the new price for the Japanese dragon boxes.
Yeah, i was just a little taken off guard when i saw that $1000 price being thrown around there and i get what the intention of the release is. It's also true what you say about the original Dragon Boxes sometimes costing around the same price if not more than what they originally retailed for, but given that they were limited pre order only collector's items in Japan the exorbitant price is understandable. But of course if you know where to look you can find deals for some of them that are way less than even that, heck i have seen some auctions going for $200 to $300 on the low end of the scale.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 am

Yeah, i was just a little taken off guard when i saw that $1000 price being thrown around there and i get what the intention of the release is. It's also true what you say about the original Dragon Boxes sometimes costing around the same price if not more than what they originally retailed for, but given that they were limited pre order only collector's items in Japan the exorbitant price is understandable. But of course if you know where to look you can find deals for some of them that are way less than even that, heck i have seen some auctions going for $200 to $300 on the low end of the scale.
This is a per order release too. I doubt you'll find dboxes that are like new for that price. I know the Japanese dboxes have gone down in value because of the later individual releases though.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:49 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm
Yeah, but it was also to get a baseline number of people to show they were interested so they could start producing them. That's why they put it up. They won't produce them unless they get at least 3000 people to show they're interested.
No, the e-mail signup currently on the website has nothing to do with whether or not they'll be producing the sets, it's to keep you up to date on the latest news regarding the set, nothing more. The 3000 you're referring to is the minimum number of actual pre-orders, i.e. cash commitments, they will need in order to move ahead with producing the sets. This is a common mistake I've seen made here and elsewhere. In no way does signing up for an e-mail notification tell Funimation that you absolutely plan on buying the set. That's what they'll be looking for when the time comes, likely in the form of pre-orders. Right now, all we're doing is waiting for more details.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:42 am

Kuwabara wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 amSadly, it's 2019, and there is such a thing as inflation...
Nintendo is no stranger to inflating the prices because they know people will buy it no matter what and it was just a matter if time e before the rest did too. Microsoft started with paid online gaming on consoles back on the Xbox days, Sony kept it free for PS2 and PS3, and Nintendo also kept it free for Wii, Wii U and 3DS but what eventually happened? Sony and Nintendo saw an opportunity to profit even more and so their online play services (on PS4 and Switch) are paid too.

I'd bet, if I internet speeds were as fast as they are now that companies would have started streaming, go digital and DRM their properties a lot sooner. Good for them, bad for us.

By the way, I'd say we were lucky FUNimation only charged $59.99 per Dragon Box Z as they could have priced it at a MSRP of $99.99 per box.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:18 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:42 am
Kuwabara wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 amSadly, it's 2019, and there is such a thing as inflation...
Nintendo is no stranger to inflating the prices because they know people will buy it no matter what and it was just a matter if time e before the rest did too. Microsoft started with paid online gaming on consoles back on the Xbox days, Sony kept it free for PS2 and PS3, and Nintendo also kept it free for Wii, Wii U and 3DS but what eventually happened? Sony and Nintendo saw an opportunity to profit even more and so their online play services (on PS4 and Switch) are paid too.

I'd bet, if I internet speeds were as fast as they are now that companies would have started streaming, go digital and DRM their properties a lot sooner. Good for them, bad for us.

By the way, I'd say we were lucky FUNimation only charged $59.99 per Dragon Box Z as they could have priced it at a MSRP of $99.99 per box.
True in regards to the Dragon Boxes, the prices during release were actually fairly generous especially when slashed down than they could have potentially been at.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm

To be honest, if it comes to over $500, I think I'll have to drop my interest, as being in England, I'll have to pay 20% Import VAT and 2.5% customs tax. So unless my local import site can get it, as they cover the import fees, then I'll be forced to end my interest.
I can possibly stretch a little further, but it depends how much we're talking.

I'd expect to pay up to $300 for 291 episodes of DBZ, possibly $100 for a statue, and at most, $50 for the art book - as the Chōgashū, which Viz are localising this year is being sold at $34.99, so unless Funimation's is bigger and better so to speak, I wouldn't want to pay any more than that. I assume the box it would be in wouldn't be cheap cardboard, either.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm To be honest, if it comes to over $500, I think I'll have to drop my interest, as being in England, I'll have to pay 20% Import VAT and 2.5% customs tax. So unless my local import site can get it, as they cover the import fees, then I'll be forced to end my interest.

I'd expect to pay up to $300 for 291 episodes of DBZ, possibly $100 for a statue, and at most, $50 for the art book - as the Chōgashū, which Viz are localising this year is being sold at $34.99, so unless Funimation's is bigger and better so to speak, I wouldn't want to pay any more than that. I assume the box it would be in wouldn't be cheap cardboard, either.
Just get somone from the states to send it to you?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:51 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm To be honest, if it comes to over $500, I think I'll have to drop my interest, as being in England, I'll have to pay 20% Import VAT and 2.5% customs tax. So unless my local import site can get it, as they cover the import fees, then I'll be forced to end my interest.

Just get somone from the states to send it to you?
Or demand Manga UK to license it. They haven't released Dragon Ball Z on Blu-Ray so if this set has no major video or audio issues it should be the version to go for. And before anyone says there's no Region B equivalent Manga's Super BDs are based off Funimation's Parts, not Madman.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:26 am

FUNimation made their Super Blu-rays region locked to A, but it's possible that FUNi handled the region B Blu-rays, unless that was authored by Madman.

FUNimation and Madman are far better than Manga UK due to the fact that they actually make their own Dragon Ball releases than re-package and pretend it's theirs. Plus, Madman released the Dragon Ball movies, Dragon Ball Z movies, the DBZ Singles and the DBGT Singles, oh yeah, and the DBZ Level 1.1 & 1.2 Blu-rays. What did Manga UK release of Dragon Ball?

• Dragon Ball - Saga Sets (rebranded as "Seasons")

• Dragon Ball Z - Orange Bricks

• Dragon Ball GT - Green Bricks

• Dragon Ball Z Movies - FUNimation Remastered (DVD/BD)

• Dragon Ball Kai - Collection Parts (rebranded as "Seasons")

• Dragon Ball Super

Meh, but alright.

To be honest, while Manga UK are incompetent and slacking, it actually works in our favor as the Kai releases on Blu-ray and DVD feature the Yamamoto score up until episode 39, then it's the replacement score. See, I don't hate them, I just don't praise them as if they're actually close to being a fantastic anime distributor.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 pm

Just spoke with a FUNi representative... and the plot thickens!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 pm Just spoke with a FUNi representative... and the plot thickens!
How much can you reveal? Is it good news?
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I know that everyone wants it to be in a 4:3 aspect ratio but what if they did something similar to the TV/DVD version of Kai in Japan, were they extended the view from the sides instead. That has a small chance of happening, but if I was given the choice between the frame being extended or cropped then I'd choose an extended frame.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders