Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:10 pm

superrayman3 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 pm Just as I thought, the broadcast audio will not be in this release. Sorry folks! :)
I expected nothing less from Toei's laziness (seriously is including broadcast audio now that it's out there in its entirety really too much to ask for? especially since this release is supposed to COMMEMORATE one of Toei's biggest series in their history and yet they've decided to fuck the fans over when it comes to audio yet again), all I have to say is Toei better not use a new scan of the old optical tracks because those would almost certainly be barely audible by now (I wouldn't be surprised if the optical tracks were nothing more than tape hiss at this point or pretty close to it considering how quickly they've been degrading).
Then again, i really didn't expect it was going to but of course you can't trust Toei to do it right at least in terms of the audio. But of course that has all to do with them junking the clearer broadcast tapes after the series had ended and only keeping those muted mono audio tapes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:29 pm

It’s annoying that Toei refuses to use the broadcast audio, but Japanese companies tend to think very different from western companies. At least we can make this release pretty close to ideal by doing the work ourselves. Now we just gotta hope they get that video quality right.
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:56 pm I’ve already released the raw audio, as well as some other goodies on a piracy website. Happy hunting! :)
Well, thank you! I’ll give it a looking for. What format are the files are in? That’ll help me know I found the correct ones. Many thanks and many hugs.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:29 pmWhat format are the files are in?
Something something Part 3, WAV format and it's about 280GB.

There were some here against sharing the OBA files because they thought FUNimation/TOEI would use it but look at it, they're not going to. It's the 30th Anniversary release and they're completely ditching it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 pm Hey can someone update me with the basics of what's going on here? I just got back from alabama the other day and just buried my father yesterday so I haven't kept up with anything at all. will this be limited like the dragonboxes or will they rerelease these sets later on?
Okay, here's what we know (going off the assumption that AnimeMaakuo's information is good):
  • The release will come with a statue of Son Goku and an art book.
  • We were originally told we needed 2,500 votes, but it was upped to 3,000 (someone in marketing probably thought it was DBZ's 25th birthday, not its 30th).
  • The footage is using Funimation's master that was used for the Level Blu-Rays.
  • It will be in 4:3, as teased by the use of the 4 and 3-Star Dragon Balls in promotional material.
  • There will be no censoring, possibly.
  • It will not use the broadcast audio for the Japanese audio track.
And that's all we know so far, with only the first and second items having been officially confirmed by Funimation. We don't know the price, release timing, whether it's a limited release, or if there will be a more budget-oriented version of the discs.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 pm Hey can someone update me with the basics of what's going on here? I just got back from alabama the other day and just buried my father yesterday so I haven't kept up with anything at all. will this be limited like the dragonboxes or will they rerelease these sets later on?
Okay, here's what we know (going off the assumption that AnimeMaakuo's information is good):
  • We were originally told we needed 2,500 votes, but it was upped to 3,000 (someone in marketing probably thought it was DBZ's 25th birthday, not its 30th).
  • The footage is using Funimation's master that was used for the Level Blu-Rays.
  • It will be in 4:3, as teased by the use of the 4 and 3-Star Dragon Balls in promotional material.
And that's all we know so far, with only the first and second items having been officially confirmed by Funimation. We don't know the price, release timing, whether it's a limited release, or if there will be a more budget-oriented version of the discs.
I assume that we will get the full scoop on those specs soon enough, perhaps sometime in the next few weeks if i would have to guess.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm I assume that we will get the full scoop on those specs soon enough, perhaps sometime in the next few weeks if i would have to guess.
I would hope so, the tension is killing me!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:55 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm I assume that we will get the full scoop on those specs soon enough, perhaps sometime in the next few weeks if i would have to guess.
I would hope so, the tension is killing me!
I'd say within the next few weeks at the most, because of course about less than a month from now is DBZ's 30th anniversary proper so maybe FUNi will have announced it by then.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:02 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 pm Just as I thought, the broadcast audio will not be in this release. Sorry folks! :)
was there an email?

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 pm
I was pretty vocal about not trusting that Geekdom guy since he was clearly doing nothing but theorizing in his vids days before he recognized the 4/3 hint for what everyone else was already reading it as, and since he was making absurdly wild claims about things like the audio which we really had no basis to believe in (and which he seemingly was basing on torrents), but I'm more willing to trust AnimeMaakuo since he's more down to earth about the whole thing and doesn't have anything to gain in the same way a YTer with an ego would.

Did I miss the part where he discussed the Level set masters as being the basis for this release? The only way I theorized that Funi could indeed pull this set out in a realistic timeframe, if they weren't simply the old discs, was if they just automated the remaster (or simply reframed their existing 16:9 one), and I still am hesitant to place my trust in them to do that in a manner which would satisfy me. I'd surely hope they'd release screenshots of what the show will end up looking like before they set up their pre-orders. They didn't do anything of the sort (or release much info at all) for Bebop beforehand, but if they're making a big deal about the 4:3 I'd expect they'd do so for DBZ at least.

And if it is yet another release based on their existing materials, I'll probably be unhappy when NEPs are missing (yes, I actually always watch them in every anime I watch), along with alterations to OPs/EDs / eyecatches / titles, etc. DBoxes would still be the way to go for authenticity for me, probably, unless Toei actually did deliver them new mats.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pmSomething something Part 3, WAV format and it's about 280GB.

There were some here against sharing the OBA files because they thought FUNimation/TOEI would use it but look at it, they're not going to. It's the 30th Anniversary release and they're completely ditching it.
Gracias!

Yeah, I agreed that maybe keeping them under wraps would increase the chances of it being on an official release, but...now that I think about it, it being on the internet creates even MORE of a reason to include it on this new boxset. Becuz, without it, the new releases are all inferior (audio-wise) to what people can download for free. It creates competition for Toei to put out something good, and with a littel effort at least.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm

That's a bummer about no OBA, but 4:3 still has me pumped! I guess the only hope for better Japanese audio now would be if Toei didn't throw out the original masters after all...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:57 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm That's a bummer about no OBA, but 4:3 still has me pumped! I guess the only hope for better Japanese audio now would be if Toei didn't throw out the original masters after all...
Yeah no doubt for sure, it's great that after so long we are finally seeing another proper 4:3 release of the series. Couldn't be happier about this. :D

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 pm

Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 pmDid I miss the part where he discussed the Level set masters as being the basis for this release?
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pmI believe FUNi is using the same masters as the ones provided in the level sets, however he will get back with me to confirm.
I've been careful to say "Level masters" rather than things like "Level footage" or "Level video" and whatnot, since that sets the expectation that they'll look exactly like that release. I'm not entirely read up on the history of that master, but from what I'm aware of it's the one Funi has used for every release of DBZ since at least the Orange Bricks. So the final product could be anywhere in that range.

The main obvious benefit is that, by it being a master Funi already had in their possession, when you couple it with the tidbit about possibly no censorship, it means it bypasses Toei's recent practices regarding extended middle fingers. If the footage had come from a Toei rescan of Z, there was a high likelihood of them having censored that sort of thing.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 pm
Spoofer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 pmDid I miss the part where he discussed the Level set masters as being the basis for this release?
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pmI believe FUNi is using the same masters as the ones provided in the level sets, however he will get back with me to confirm.
I've been careful to say "Level masters" rather than things like "Level footage" or "Level video" and whatnot, since that sets the expectation that they'll look exactly like that release. I'm not entirely read up on the history of that master, but from what I'm aware of it's the one Funi has used for every release of DBZ since at least the Orange Bricks. So the final product could be anywhere in that range.

The main obvious benefit is that, by it being a master Funi already had in their possession, when you couple it with the tidbit about possibly no censorship, it means it bypasses Toei's recent practices regarding extended middle fingers. If the footage had come from a Toei rescan of Z, there was a high likelihood of them having censored that sort of thing.
I guess even if it's not a rescanned master from Toei with the package obviously the fact that it's 4:3 will be a draw as it is, and it comes from the same exact set of generational prints that the god awful Orange Bricks came from but my thinking is that they are going to convert the raw masters in a similar fashion and being that they are scanned for HD i think FUNi will most likely leave them as is as when they were on the Level sets back in 2011.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:23 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 am I guess even if it's not a rescanned master from Toei with the package obviously the fact that it's 4:3 will be a draw as it is, and it comes from the same exact set of generational prints that the god awful Orange Bricks came from but my thinking is that they are going to convert the masters in a similar fashion and being that they are scanned for HD i think FUNi will most likely leave them as is as when they were on the Level sets back in 2011.
Hopefully. I'm not sure how adjusted the Level set footage was (I doubt it looked publish-ready straight out of the gate), but plainly the Orange/Blu-Brick look is not how it looked originally. Not talking about 16:9 crop either, I'm talking about the smudging and the HORRIBLE brightness gain applied to it all. Makes it look like I'm watching it with the sun shining through the other side of the film cells.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 am

One of the pluses is that the Level masters did have better color than the Zboxes and it'll be nice to have namek in HD and 4:3. Thats what I'm looking foward too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23yEzf3Czdk

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:23 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 am I guess even if it's not a rescanned master from Toei with the package obviously the fact that it's 4:3 will be a draw as it is, and it comes from the same exact set of generational prints that the god awful Orange Bricks came from but my thinking is that they are going to convert the masters in a similar fashion and being that they are scanned for HD i think FUNi will most likely leave them as is as when they were on the Level sets back in 2011.
Hopefully. I'm not sure how adjusted the Level set footage was (I doubt it looked publish-ready straight out of the gate), but plainly the Orange/Blu-Brick look is not how it looked originally. Not talking about 16:9 crop either, I'm talking about the smudging and the HORRIBLE brightness gain applied to it all. Makes it look like I'm watching it with the sun shining through the other side of the film cells.
Maybe, but if the quality of the Levels or similar is what we are getting with this new release then i can definitely accept it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:13 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 am Maybe, but if the quality of the Levels or similar is what we are getting with this new release then i can definitely accept it.
Agreed. I mean it's encouraging that the contact in Funi said "Level masters" and not "Orange Brick masters" because there's vast chasm of quality between the two.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:23 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:13 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 am Maybe, but if the quality of the Levels or similar is what we are getting with this new release then i can definitely accept it.
Agreed. I mean it's encouraging that the contact in Funi said "Level masters" and not "Orange Brick masters" because there's vast chasm of quality between the two.
I know right, because obviously those god awful DNR smear fests with incorrect faux widescreen aspect ratio are hands down the single worst DBZ release that i have ever seen video quality wise. That bit of revealed news from the FUNi rep definitely sounds like a promising sign in that they are apparently taking the same third generation prints used for the Level BDs back in 2011 and converting them into new HD transfers for this release. The big difference is that this time around they will have the entire series available in that quality or at least an approximation if not 100% identical.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:18 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:23 amI know right, because obviously those god awful DNR smear fests with incorrect faux widescreen aspect ratio are hands down the single worst DBZ release that i have ever seen video quality wise. That bit of revealed news from the FUNi rep definitely sounds like a promising sign in that they are apparently taking the same third generation prints used for the Level BDs back in 2011 and converting them into new HD transfers for this release. The big difference is that this time around they will have the entire series available in that quality or at least an approximation if not 100% identical.
I mean for me the aspect very few people talk about is the incredibly awful colour grade applied to it as well. The whites were made BRIGHT white, not "paper white", so everything looks completely over-exposed. It doesn't pair well with making the blacks BLACK either, so it just looks awful.

Personally I'm still hoping that Funi will give us a preview of the footage to instill confidence, especially because their target market with this release will be VERY skeptical about it.