Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 pm ... Fuck.

That's about all I can say.

If you could tolerate the Season BDs, stick with those. If you can't, don't buy this. It's a waste of everyone's money.
So...... is this just the Season masters reconverted to 4:3 or what???? Note on that announcement it says "remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever." unless i am missing something here.
This wouldn't exactly be the first time FUNi exaggerated or lied in promotional material for their various releases. "Remastered from the Original Japanese Film Prints" from the Orange Brick commercials comes to mind.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:09 pm

If you could tolerate the Season BDs, stick with those. If you can't, don't buy this. It's a waste of everyone's money.
So...... is this just the Season masters reconverted to 4:3 or what???? Note on that announcement it says "remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever." unless i am missing something here.
It's the same footage. If it is a new remaster, then it's one of the most darkly hilarious wastes of money ever associated with Dragon Ball, because it's the exact same job repeated. Go find the Season BD feature with the 4:3 footage in it that's just the BD footage but uncropped. This is literally just that.
Welp, is seems like the expectations i have held for this release for so long just went down the toilet. Looks like i am going to be holding onto my Dragon Boxes for the foreseeable future. What a shame. :(
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:14 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm

This wouldn't exactly be the first time FUNi exaggerated or lied in promotional material for their various releases. "Remastered from the Original Japanese Film Prints" from the Orange Brick commercials comes to mind.
Yeah, this trailer comes to mind when i hear that line.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm

So, something I noticed in rewatching the trailer a couple times, and this is totally just based on what my memory of what each remaster looks like, but the clips from the opening seem to be from the Levels, while the shots from the episodes are the 4:3 versions of the Season Set master. I highly doubt that means anything, just an observation.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:22 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm So, something I noticed in rewatching the trailer a couple times, and this is totally just based on what my memory of what each remaster looks like, but the clips from the opening seem to be from the Levels, while the shots from the episodes are the 4:3 versions of the Season Set master. I highly doubt that means anything, just an observation.
I just happened to notice that when watching it again, i wonder if it's really one or the other they are using here.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 pm

The real issue here is that they're asking us to pay a one time price of $350 and they told us almost nothing about the actual Blu-rays. Remastered how exactly? We can deduce for ourselves but we shouldn't have to.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 pm The real issue here is that they're asking us to pay a one time price of $350 and they told us almost nothing about the actual Blu-rays. Remastered how exactly? We can deduce for ourselves but we shouldn't have to.
Yes, it should be within their interest to provide more information, assuming they actually want this to sell.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 pm The real issue here is that they're asking us to pay a one time price of $350 and they told us almost nothing about the actual Blu-rays. Remastered how exactly? We can deduce for ourselves but we shouldn't have to.
I mean, the clips in the trailer really don't definitely say for 100% certain what type of remaster we are getting here. Is it the Level masters or Season BD's reconverted to 4:3 from the cropped 16:9??? Come on FUNi just reveal it already so we know what exactly we are getting here.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm
Yes, it should be within their interest to provide more information, assuming they actually want this to sell.
Same, some details from them on the actual video source being used for the set would be nice.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm honestly really doubting this thing will actually hit 3,000 reservations. The main audience for it would be either collectors or hardcore fans who want the series in the proper format. I don't think there's enough collectors to fill out that number, and I don't think the vast majority of hardcore fans will reserve a copy for themselves with the scant amount of info FUNi has provided here, especially given that the trailer seems to suggest they'll largely be using the much maligned Season Set masters.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm
I mean, the clips in the trailer really don't definitely say for 100% certain what type of remaster we are getting here. Is it the Level masters or Season BD's reconverted to 4:3 from the cropped 16:9??? Come on FUNi just reveal it already so we know what exactly we are getting here.
The fact that we aren't getting any details is the most damning thing. I think I'll pass. Both English and Japanese versions of Dragon Box Z are good for me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm
The fact that we aren't getting any details is the most damning thing. I think I'll pass. Both English and Japanese versions of Dragon Box Z are good for me.
Eh, i'm leaning along those same lines as well. Because if my fears at this point are confirmed that they are reusing the Season BD masters only changed to the proper fullscreen then i'm just going to stick with my FUNi Dragon Boxes, as having those same DNR smear fests just changed back from the cropped faux widescreen versions is not a real or significant improvement to me. However, i am still keeping a cautious optimism that this might be the Level masters. I'll wait until they provide more details before making a definitive decision on that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 pm

So this is what It looks like? I get that youtube compresses things, but this just looks like 4:3 version of the Season Blu-rays.
Honestly, I'm kinda relived, now I won't even be tempted to spend $350 and buy this.
Last edited by DHM211 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 pmHonestly, I'm kinda relived, now I won't even be tempted to spend $350 and buy this.
This is kinda where I'm at as well, if nothing else I now don't need to worry about scraping together the money to get this damn thing. So glad I held off on selling my Dragon Boxes...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 pm Image
So this is what It looks like? I get that youtube compresses things, but this just looks like 4:3 version of the Season Blu-rays.
Honestly, I'm kinda relived, now I won't even be tempted to spend $350 and buy this.
Oh boy, i really thought FUNi was going to actually get it right this time but looks like that's not the case judging by those screenshots. Well, i guess as i have already said i'm hanging onto my FUNi Dragon Boxes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 pm

I just realized this might be a clever move on Funi's part. If not enough people pre-order, Funi will say "We knew there wasn't enough interest in 4:3 DBZ. Now we know not to make the same mistake ever again." If enough people pre-order, Funi will act like people like their smudged Season Blu-ray footage... it'll just be in 4:3 from now on.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:50 pm

I could scream. I don't even have any words left. If that is truly representative of what this release will be, then Funimation are even dumber than I thought. What a fucking sham.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:52 pm

After watching the trailer a couple times, seeing the clips of the opening theme, it seems like it could still be the Level Set master. However, seeing the few shots from the series itself, this release absolutely looks like the Blu-ray Seasons, minus the cropping.

Obviously a step above the Blu-ray Seasons, but something of a side step from the Dragon Boxes. Really frustrating :/
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:52 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 pm Image

Does anybody have screenshots from the level sets/ blu-ray season sets for comparison?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:55 pm

The truly sad part is that this is still better than what we currently have. I mean I'll take the Dragon Box over this... but it's better than any readily available release just by virtue of at least being in the proper aspect ratio.

But yeah. It looks like crap. It fixes the single most deal-breaking issue, but if this trailer is any indication, it does literally nothing more than that. I'll keep my DVDs with their 16-year-old SD remaster with zero color correction, thank you very much.