Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Does Funimation charge before or after it ships? If I knew they would rerelease this again AFTER this release I'd just wait for the next 4x3 release.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Oh my GOD guys. It almost looks like they just cropped the Season BDs down to 4:3, I swear...

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/YPYGNNNX

I'm bloody fuming.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm Oh my GOD guys. It almost looks like they just cropped the Season BDs down to 4:3, I swear...

I'm bloody fuming.
There seems to be a bit more picture information on the tops and bottoms, so not a straight crop, but it's certainly zoomed in.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:01 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:55 pm The truly sad part is that this is still better than what we currently have. I mean I'll take the Dragon Box over this... but it's better than any readily available release just by virtue of at least being in the proper aspect ratio.

But yeah. It looks like crap. It fixes the single most deal-breaking issue, but if this trailer is any indication, it does literally nothing more than that. I'll keep my DVDs with their 16-year-old SD remaster with zero color correction, thank you very much.
Yeah same with me, when i saw that i face palmed and thought to myself "What???? Come on, you fixed the most prominent issue but didn't with the rest of them namely the terrible DNR." I mean it looks like it beats the previous release mostly on the aspect ratio but not everything else, so as you said even though the Dragon Boxes are flawed they are still to my eyes superior to this crap we're seeing here.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Well damn this is disappointing.

I think I still will order the set; the cropping always bothered me way more than the DNR and colours (not to say the DNR and off-colours don't bother me), but boy I really really hope that footage is something they just grabbed for a placeholder.

Plus I like figures and artbooks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm Oh my GOD guys. It almost looks like they just cropped the Season BDs down to 4:3, I swear...

I'm bloody fuming.
I just looked at that comparison, and really the difference i noticed aside from the aspect ratio is that this seems to have a darker picture over the Season BD's.

But still, i am really hoping that's not the final footage.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm

ErikB wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:02 pmI think I still will order the set;
Please don't. 3,000 of you means this behaviour won't ever change.

But in all honesty, this is totally in-character for FUNimation to make a move this passive aggressive.

Yeah, we smeared all of the colours, but it's in 4:3, right?

Sure, you even get more picture on the season sets, but it's in 4:3, right?

We are demanding 3,000 people put their money down for this overpriced piece of dung but it's in 4:3, RIGHT!?

That's what I get out of this.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm bloody fuming.
The Season BD remasters already were in 4x3 as one of the extra's showed SS Goku vs Freeza in 4x3 in that remaster, they probably did the cropping after. I sort of knew this would happen thankfully I don't give a shit about Z so no bother to me but I do feel bad for the people that do and were looking at finally get a good remaster on BD.

Unfortunately between Toei, FUNi & Bandai DB is stuck with companies that don't give a f**k about their fans.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:14 pm

I'm so frustrated, because I know that on the highly likely chance that this doesn't reach their goal, the idiots over at FUNi will look at it and say "Welp, looks like we were right all along, the fans want the show in 16:9! Cropped releases forever now!"
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 pm

I may get this just for the art book. I'm a fan of those.
As for this reaching 3,000? I can see it happening. I'm sure at least half of those will come from people wanting to flip these thinking that these will sell like hotcakes. Never underestimate scalpers when it comes to collector editions, especially Dragon Ball-related CE's.

Personally, I just want them to upload the series on iTunes. I've become a digital-only kind of consumer since both downloading and streaming is so much easier than having physical copies and worrying about discs breaking, etc. Plus, I see the market pretty much headed in this direction.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:14 pm I'm so frustrated, because I know that on the highly likely chance that this doesn't reach their goal, the idiots over at FUNi will look at it and say "Welp, looks like we were right all along, the fans want the show in 16:9! Cropped releases forever now!"
Not if everyone floods Funi with Tweets complaining. And that's the best thing we can do; get on Twitter, get on Reddit, get on YouTube. Brew a storm. Get the word out. Anyone who owns the Season BDs will be getting less picture than that, they'll be getting the same crap but for more money. Anyone who doesn't like the Season BDs will not be catered to by this set. This is not the set we're looking for.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:20 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pmOh boy, i really thought FUNi was going to actually get it right this time but looks like that's not the case judging by those screenshots.
They've been getting it wrong for the past 20+ years so we shouldn't be that surprised that this is also another miss on their part.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Does anyone have a link to the YouTube video that works outside the US? The Funi one is region locked because fuck me for not being American.

(also, not buying this set. I probably won't even buy the OG Dragon Ball release if it doesn't look any better than my Dragon Box).
Last edited by KBABZ on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You know what? Fuck you, FUNimation. I can't believe you're trying to pass this shit off as an ultimate anniversary set. This is UNBELIEVABLE. Actually no, you know what? This is totally believable. You people have fucked it up time after time again and only got it right twice - and one was out of print immediately, and the second time you didn't even finish it! So fuck off, I'm not buying this shit, I hope nobody buys this shit. I hope it doesn't reach their stupid 3,000 goal that they claim to 'need'.

And the best part is this will flop like it deserves to, and then they'll just go 'Well look guys, we offered 4:3 DBZ and nobody wanted it! The people want widescreen DBZ!' Fuck off.

Nobody sell your Dragon Boxes if you have them! That was the last quality release of the show, period! I legitimately feel bad for those that did banking on this, I really do.

Sorry for the curse-filled rant but I don't know how else to express my sheer rage at this. How did you go 4:3 and go for the literal worse possible option to do it? Because it's FUNimation, the masters of fucking up DBZ home releases.

At least I can save $350. GOOD.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm bloody fuming.
Oh boy this is.. honestly beyond disappointing.
If this is a limited time Collector's Edition why didn't FUNi just remaster them similarly to the Level Sets?
One World. 🌐 🕊

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:24 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:20 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pmOh boy, i really thought FUNi was going to actually get it right this time but looks like that's not the case judging by those screenshots.
They've been getting it wrong for the past 20+ years so we shouldn't be that surprised that this is also another miss on their part.
Basically yeah, with the exception of the Dragon Boxes which turned out to be limited time releases (albeit not at first) and the Level sets which sadly went belly up for a myriad of reasons among which was the timing amongst the blitz of other releases coming at the same time.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 pm Does anyone have a link to the YouTube video that works outside the US? The Funi one is region locked because fuck me for not being American.

(also, not buying this set. I probably won't even buy the OG Dragon Ball release if it doesn't look any better than my Dragon Box).
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 4079310848

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:52 pm
Does anybody have screenshots from the level sets/ blu-ray season sets for comparison?
Screencaps from Level 1.1 (not exact matches):

So yeah, $350 -180% of the previous 'Seasons' as per Amazon - (I hear, as a non-USA person I'm locked out from Funi's site) for a severely flawed remaster instead of a terrible one? The only upshot I can think of is that Funi added extra 'pop' to the season BD trailers, so this might not actually be representative of the released version.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You know what? Fuck you, FUNimation. I can't believe you're trying to pass this shit off as an ultimate anniversary set. This is UNBELIEVABLE. Actually no, you know what? This is totally believable. You people have fucked it up time after time again and only got it right twice - and one was out of print immediately, and the second time you didn't even finish it! So fuck off, I'm not buying this shit, I hope nobody buys this shit. I hope it doesn't reach their stupid 3,000 goal that they claim to 'need'.

And the best part is this will flop like it deserves to, and then they'll just go 'Well look guys, we offered 4:3 DBZ and nobody wanted it! The people want widescreen DBZ!' Fuck off.

Nobody sell your Dragon Boxes if you have them! That was the last quality release of the show, period! I legitimately feel bad for those that did banking on this, I really do.

Sorry for the curse-filled rant but I don't know how else to express my sheer rage at this. How did you go 4:3 and go for the literal worse possible option to do it? Because it's FUNimation, the masters of fucking up DBZ home releases.

At least I can save $350. GOOD.
I sure as hell am not selling my Dragon Boxes, because this is yet another example of them screwing the fans over who want an actual proper release of the series unlike the widescreen, DNR'd to oblivion crap they have been putting out since 2007.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Hey remember me joking about this very outcome because of how ludicrous the idea was?? I can't find the original post I made but I did make a joke in this thread that if Funimation were to do 4:3 they'd crop the 16:9 Blu-Ray footage into 4:3 because DURRR DAT WORKS
KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:41 pm In order to deliver a TRULY cinematic experience, we've cropped the footage from 16:9 to Anamorphic widescreen!