Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm

The best part is I would've dropped double what they're asking for on a Level-quality box set. I would've winced hard, but I would've done it - $700 for a quality 1080p remaster of Z? Sure, sold.

Good luck trying to sell this garbage, FUNi.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:23 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm Oh my GOD guys. It almost looks like they just cropped the Season BDs down to 4:3, I swear...

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/YPYGNNNX

I'm bloody fuming.
Oh boy this is.. honestly beyond disappointing.
If this is a limited time Collector's Edition why didn't FUNi just remaster them similarly to the Level Sets?
Because of the nature of this release 3000 orders or nothing so they couldn't risk doing a new remaster so it had to already be done which meant either Season BD one or from ToeiJP unfortunately it wasn't the latter.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm The best part is I would've dropped double what they're asking for on a Level-quality box set. I would've winced hard, but I would've done it - $700 for a quality 1080p remaster of Z? Sure, sold.

Good luck trying to hock this garbage, FUNi.
Yep, just another example of how badly they've dropped the ball on the series' releases with the one saving grace being the Dragon Boxes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pmUnfortunately between Toei, FUNi & Bandai DB is stuck with companies that don't give a f**k about their fans.
They're giving people what they're willing to pay for. If fans stopped supporting things they didn't like you'd see things change.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Honestly, I don't think what's shown in the video is the actual remaster. But I don't mind the outrage. Maybe it will force them to actually show some proper samples and give more details soon rather than later.

In any case, I would be more curious and interested in a release from Toei than this Funimation one (even though there's a supposed partnership between the two on this release).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm Honestly, I don't think what's shown in the video is the actual remaster. But I don't mind the outrage. Maybe it will force them to actually show some proper samples and give more details soon rather than later.

In any case, I would be more curious and interested in a release from Toei than this Funimation one (even though there's a supposed partnership between the two on this release).
Indeed, i have my fingers crossed that the clips are not representations of the actual release itself.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm Good luck trying to sell this garbage, FUNi.
Don't look at the Twitter comments. You'll lose faith in humanity.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:14 pm I'm so frustrated, because I know that on the highly likely chance that this doesn't reach their goal, the idiots over at FUNi will look at it and say "Welp, looks like we were right all along, the fans want the show in 16:9! Cropped releases forever now!"
Not if everyone floods Funi with Tweets complaining. And that's the best thing we can do; get on Twitter, get on Reddit, get on YouTube. Brew a storm. Get the word out.
Funimation only cares about their bottom line which has been good so far. The only way to make a company change their way is through not buying their product.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:37 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:34 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm Good luck trying to sell this garbage, FUNi.
Don't look at the Twitter comments. You'll lose faith in humanity.
Too late.

Whatever, I'm glad people enjoy spending $350 on a double-cropped and heavily filtered show because it has a pretty box and an artbook.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 pm

The crazy part is that due to Toei's involvement, they APPROVED THIS.
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:37 pm Whatever, I'm glad people enjoy spending $350 on a double-cropped and heavily filtered show because it has a pretty box and an artbook.
I mean I will give it this, the packaging looks dope. But that makes this the bimbo of DBZ releases: pretty face, but the inside is garbage. It's a damn shame the package design is wasted on such awful footage.

The artbook is interesting in that it compiles the artwork from previous releases. This sounds dumb but I like boxart artwork like that and it's nice when that stuff is presented nicely too, like the coverart for the Tankobon and Kanzentais.
Last edited by KBABZ on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm Honestly, I don't think what's shown in the video is the actual remaster. But I don't mind the outrage. Maybe it will force them to actually show some proper samples and give more details soon rather than later.

Yeah, the fact that the clips from the OP seem to be from the Levels gives me a very, very small hope this is all placeholder, but I doubt it. Honestly, taking the season masters, putting them in 4:3, but then slapping the Level openings at the beginning of each episode sounds like the exact sort of shit that FUNi would pull.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:42 pm

What...did they do ? why does the level set have more picture than these ? aren't they both 4:3 ? Are my eyes not working or does it seem like there's even more picture missing than on the 16:9 version ?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Yeah, the fact that the clips from the OP seem to be from the Levels gives me a very, very small hope this is all placeholder, but I doubt it. Honestly, taking the season masters, putting them in 4:3, but then slapping the Level openings at the beginning of each episode sounds like the exact sort of shit that FUNi would pull.
I want to believe, but it's unlikely. FUNi always fucks up a DBZ release, even the 'supreme ultimate collector's' anniversary set. They got it right twice, and one of those they canceled. They will never get it right again.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:42 pm What...did they do ? why does the level set have more picture than these ? aren't they both 4:3 ? Are my eyes not working or does it seem like there's even more picture missing than on the 16:9 version ?
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/YPYGNNNX

If this is how it ends up being, then it's indeed because they cropped their already cropped release.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:45 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:39 pmYeah, the fact that the clips from the OP seem to be from the Levels gives me a very, very small hope this is all placeholder, but I doubt it. Honestly, taking the season masters, putting them in 4:3, but then slapping the Level openings at the beginning of each episode sounds like the exact sort of shit that FUNi would pull.
I asked them how much of the footage from the trailer is representative of the final product over Twitter, hopefully they'll get back to me.
sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:42 pm What...did they do ? why does the level set have more picture than these ? aren't they both 4:3 ? Are my eyes not working or does it seem like there's even more picture missing than on the 16:9 version ?
There is slightly more vertical picture compared to the Blu Bricks, but when you compare it to previous 4:3 releases, it's basically an overscan crop that's being given a $350 release.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm

If the trailer is representative of the final product, what a shame. Pretty much 0% interest from me now unless more technical info is laid out.
Last edited by Kuwabara on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Can anyone compare this release with the Dragon Box?
One World. 🌐 🕊

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:47 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm Hey remember me joking about this very outcome because of how ludicrous the idea was?? I can't find the original post I made but I did make a joke in this thread that if Funimation were to do 4:3 they'd crop the 16:9 Blu-Ray footage into 4:3 because DURRR DAT WORKS
KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:41 pm In order to deliver a TRULY cinematic experience, we've cropped the footage from 16:9 to Anamorphic widescreen!
Wow. I didn't know they just cropped the 16x9 release into 4x3 lol that's wiiiiiiiiiiiild lol i'm convinced that this franchise is cursed. Lol nobody will convince me otherwise LOL guess i'll just stick with my cropped blurays and dragonboxes. There will never be a release top it lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm If the trailer is representative of the final product, what a shame. Pretty much 0% interest from me now unless more technical info is laid out.
At least I'm not spending $350 on a japanese dub I'll never watch I guess.