Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:17 pm Here's a comparison between Dragon Box, Ultimate Uncut, Level, 30th anniversary, and Season BD: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/12E1NNNU

This is the least frame I've ever seen in a Dragon Ball master. It's atrocious. The detail level is lower than the standard-def masters (arguably even lower than the Season BD; look at the guy in the hat and suit, he doesn't have eyes in the 30th. He has eyes in every other master, even the Season BD; it's mostly blurred out there, but it is just about there), it's practically double-cropped, making it the least frame in any Dragon Ball master...

Seriously, I think this is a new low. This is the worst Z master. Funi did it. They actually bloody did it; they found a way to make a master even worse than last time.
Bro this is so sad. :cry:
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:17 pmI will say this now:

Everyone, complain about this as hard and as much as you can. Tweet to Funimation, make a stink on Reddit, fill the YouTube comments, etc. Make your voice heard. That is how you get stuff done. With the amount of people who are sick of Funi's crap over this, we might have a chance of having an effect.

Let's not let this be like the Season BDs; even if we fail, we'll have lost nothing by trying. And damn can we try, if we all put our minds to it! :)
Make sure no one buys this crappy thing. If they don't reach 3000, and they're swamped with people saying how unacceptable this is, the very worst we get is Funi don't put out another release for a while. At the very least, we'll have been spared this atrocity. Talk about how you want detail like the Levels, talk about how you want grain, talk about how you want a full, opened-up frame. Say you want the broadcast audio. Make your voice heard.

Viva revolution!! :lol:

(I am serious, though. You lose nothing by trying. Also, start a hashtag; I suggest #BringBackTheLevels)
Thats kinda of a double edge sword right there. This shit shouldn't be supported but at the same time if it flops they'll think theirs no interest on DBZ being on Blu Ray. They legit thought that 4:3 was all they needed. Christ.
Last edited by Bruma rabu on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Took this from the trailer (it's 20 more than it should be but it's the best I could do). Goku's boots have now been funded! Will we reach Goku's waistline by dinnertime? Next time on Dragon Ball Z!

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Very disappointing especially with what could've been. What a garbage release even for Funimation. Either re-release the damn Dragon Boxes or give the distribution rights to Discotek, so we can have a proper home version finally.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:17 pm Very disappointing especially with what could've been. What a garbage release even for Funimation. Either re-release the damn Dragon Boxes or give the distribution rights to Discotek, so we can have a proper home version finally.
Man that would be the best thing that could happen to DB for NA but i think their to small for that. They would probably have to put a lot of their project on hold for a few years for that.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Now that that fiasco is over, it just occurred to me, why would any fan of the series, buy a 30th anniversary box from funimation? It just doesnt feel genuine if it isnt from toei imo
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Sooooo....this is what I don't get. FUNi wants to produce this "30th Anniversary Edition". Says we need a minimum number of preorders to make it happen. And even then, it'll be limited to 6,000 sets. Which is nothing.

The cost of releasing this is mainly limited to producing the discs, box, and hardcover book, right? If they were using some new HD remasters from Toei, we'd know from the footage already released. So they've just taken the Season BD footage and cropped it into 4:3, resulting in the least amount of footage we've ever gotten. Unless they haven't had a chance to *fund* a new transfer with Toei's help, because they're waiting to reach the set number of pre-orders. But if that's the case, they need to immediately state as such, because the trailer then would be incredibly misleading.

And yet, by limiting this to 6,000 sets, it's as if they acknowledge that this is for people who didn't buy the Season BDs due to it being in 16x9. Yet are doing so in the most lame way possible. If this were truly to celebrate the 30th anniversary, they should be producing something EVERYONE would want to buy.

And even IF the footage ended up being marginally better than what was seen in the trailer, it's incredibly likely there would be no proper credits sequences, all episode titles in English, no next episode previews, and the hardcover book would be totally dubified. (Understandable, since that's who they always target.)

Seems the ONLY time the Japanese fans ever got thrown a bone was with the North American release of the DBZ Dragon Boxes, which had everything I could ever want, and the beautiful books were translated by Steve Simmons, and thus geared towards fans of the sub. Looks like I'll be holding onto my Dragon Boxes forever, and may never purchase another DB-related video set again.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm

I was initially really upset, but now that I think about it, what should I have really expected for $350.00? Thats $1 an episode and about $30 each for the Figure and Book. While the remaster looks like shit, at least Funi didn't try to sell it for $500 +.

IMO, The 2018 TOEI remaster of the Bardock Special is the gold standard for how DB (tv series, not movies), should look, and is the best it'll probably ever look.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:37 pm

G1Ravage wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:34 pm Sooooo....this is what I don't get. FUNi wants to produce this "30th Anniversary Edition". Says we need a minimum number of preorders to make it happen. And even then, it'll be limited to 6,000 sets. Which is nothing.

The cost of releasing this is mainly limited to producing the discs, box, and hardcover book, right? If they were using some new HD remasters from Toei, we'd know from the footage already released. So they've just taken the Season BD footage and cropped it into 4:3, resulting in the least amount of footage we've ever gotten. Unless they haven't had a chance to *fund* a new transfer with Toei's help, because they're waiting to reach the set number of pre-orders. But if that's the case, they need to immediately state as such, because the trailer then would be incredibly misleading.

And yet, by limiting this to 6,000 sets, it's as if they acknowledge that this is for people who didn't buy the Season BDs due to it being in 16x9. Yet are doing so in the most lame way possible. If this were truly to celebrate the 30th anniversary, they should be producing something EVERYONE would want to buy.

And even IF the footage ended up being marginally better than what was seen in the trailer, it's incredibly likely there would be no proper credits sequences, all episode titles in English, no next episode previews, and the hardcover book would be totally dubified. (Understandable, since that's who they always target.)

Seems the ONLY time the Japanese fans ever got thrown a bone was with the North American release of the DBZ Dragon Boxes, which had everything I could ever want, and the beautiful books were translated by Steve Simmons, and thus geared towards fans of the sub. Looks like I'll be holding onto my Dragon Boxes forever, and may never purchase another DB-related video set again.
My thoughts exactly, this appears to be quite the letdown and with that said i am definitely keeping my Dragon Boxes as well because FUNi just can't seem to ever get it right with the series aside from the latter.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:42 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm I was initially really upset, but now that I think about it, what should I have really expected for $350.00? Thats $1 an episode and about $30 each for the Figure and Book. While the remaster looks like shit, at least Funi didn't try to sell it for $500 +.

IMO, The 2018 TOEI remaster of the Bardock Special is the gold standard for how DB (tv series, not movies), should look, and is the best it'll probably ever look.
Is there any word on Toei doing their own blu ray set? Hell, even then I don't know how good that'd be. Judging from how spotty the movies were I cant fathom how spotty all 291 episodes would be.
Last edited by Bruma rabu on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm

:eh: So basically funi is asking us to pay for something that may or may not be a finished product. Because they need funding to get a proper remaster from Toei?
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Bruma rabu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:42 pm
DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm I was initially really upset, but now that I think about it, what should I have really expected for $350.00? Thats $1 an episode and about $30 each for the Figure and Book. While the remaster looks like shit, at least Funi didn't try to sell it for $500 +.

Is there any word on Toei doing their own blu ray set? Hell, even then I don't how good that'd be. Judging from how spotty the movies were I cant fathom how spotty all 291 episodes would be.
Oh yeah you own the recent movies don't you? I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, but at the same time I'm even more ready to just kick back and accept the Dragon Boxes as my ultimate release. I don't think Toei would do any of classic Dragon Ball justice.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:15 pm Image

Took this from the trailer (it's 20 more than it should be but it's the best I could do). Goku's boots have now been funded! Will we reach Goku's waistline by dinnertime? Next time on Dragon Ball Z!
Had they not screwed us over they'd have gotten every $ and more.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Is there any word on Toei doing their own blu ray set? Hell, even then I don't how good that'd be. Judging from how spotty the movies were I cant fathom how spotty all 291 episodes would be.
Oh yeah you own the recent movies don't you? I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, but at the same time I'm even more ready to just kick back and accept the Dragon Boxes as my ultimate release. I don't think Toei would do any of classic Dragon Ball justice.
I second that, because right now they are the best available complete releases albeit of a standard def 16mm film transfer from 2003. Even with their flaws i still very much enjoy them and am definitely proud to have them in my collection.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Can someone do some comparison shots (like the crowd picture) of some of the shots from the commercial that look like they’re from the Level sets? Because if this is just some weird mish-mash that it’s a combination of that and their current shitty version just slightly uncropped to get an ad out there, I’m willing to hold out a small sliver of hope.

Fuck it, I’m angry, but I’ll throw in a preorder in the 1 in 100 chance the commercial isn’t representative of the actual product, but I will be ready to pull it at any time.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 pm

The more funding they get, the more of Goku gets cut off by the aspect ratio.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm

I do and they all look better than this set. Could be the fact their movies and using better source material tough. I think it's safe to say we are all open to being pleasantly surprised for a good release lol. I know I was when I saw my email announcing this travesty. I think I'm ready to accept that Dragon Ball will never be properly remastered.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:02 pm

774/3000. First hour that it didn't exceed 100, only making 62 reservations.

Edit: Never mind. They changed the hourly updates from right on the dot at _:00 to 0:15. So in the span of 15 minutes, it had made 62 reservations. We should have another update in 10 minutes.
Last edited by jelleline89 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 pm

The more funding they get, the more of Goku gets cut off by the aspect ratio.
Don’t say that :cry: , I’m gonna hold out hope that what Char said is the truth. If the trailer was a random mash of different remasters then that’s a pretty shit marketing tactic.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Apparently this account was created in March 2019, and FUNimation and Dragon Ball Super's Twitter accounts are officially following it. So, I suppose you can send your tweets over there too to voice complaints and ask questions.

https://twitter.com/dragonballz

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:11 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm The Goku statue looks horrible too, I'd have preferred a full colour one.
As for the art book, I'll wait and pick up Toriyama Sensei's Chōgashū from Viz in October.

How have they messed this up? lol.
I don't even want to talk about the footage.
They have said the statue will be coloured..they are really misleading people with this unfinished concept trailer....they need to clarify some details of this release before I cast any sort of judgement...the discs and box design are pretty neat tho.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.