Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:11 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm The Goku statue looks horrible too, I'd have preferred a full colour one.
As for the art book, I'll wait and pick up Toriyama Sensei's Chōgashū from Viz in October.

How have they messed this up? lol.
I don't even want to talk about the footage.
They have said the statue will be coloured..they are really misleading people with this unfinished concept trailer....they need to clarify some details of this release before I cast any sort of judgement...the discs and box design are pretty neat tho.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm Bandai also copped out with the figure too. Just to make the release extra shitty! All they did was change his arm, face and gave him a DB!
Is there ANYTHING about this set that's new aside from the bloody packaging?!
Packaging itself is literally a black box! Like jesus. This release has to be a legitimate joke! Only explanation.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm Bandai also copped out with the figure too. Just to make the release extra shitty! All they did was change his arm, face and gave him a DB!
Is there ANYTHING about this set that's new aside from the bloody packaging?!
Packaging itself is literally a black box! Like jesus. This release has to be a legitimate joke! Only explanation.
Yeah a lot of people are saying they like the packaging but I don’t. It’s just boring. Even the art that they did choose is not aesthetically pleasing to me.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm

If i reserve it, do i have to pay now?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEOIjbBHuYM

The majority say it's overpriced.. what?!

The Dragon Box Z was $59.99 per each of the 7 boxes and in total that came to $419.99 so despite that this is a garbage release, it's still cheaper.

There's also the Season Blu-rays which were priced at an MSRP of $39.99, right? That was $279.99 (just $69.99 less).

Finally, had the Dragon Ball Z - Level Blu-rays been all released, that would have cost $594.83 as the MSRP was $34.99 per each of the 17 volumes, if I recall correctly.

It's hard to tell who the hell FUNimation is aiming this release at because this is definitely not for the hardcore fans.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 pm

should i pre-order or not?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:23 pm

The absolute state of Funimation. This series is a fuckin' monkey's paw

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Saying I'm disappointed would imply I had any sort of high expectations for this release. FUNimation continues doing absolutely terrible releases for DBZ, I'm not surprised even a little.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Godgoku95 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 pm should i pre-order or not?
Honestly, if you're really serious about getting it I would wait until it reaches it's funding goal. Maybe after that they might actually put out a decent trailer, as some are speculating that the footage shown isn't what the actual footage will be since they need the reservations to prove to Toei to give them the better masters. Of course who knows if that's true or not. Personally, I'd tell you to save your money or put that money into obtaining the Dragon Boxes.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

isamu

Post by isamu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm
Honestly, if you're really serious about getting it I would wait until it reaches it's funding goal. Maybe after that they might actually put out a decent trailer, as some are speculating that the footage shown isn't what the actual footage will be since they need the reservations to prove to Toei to give them the better masters. Of course who knows if that's true or not. Personally, I'd tell you to save your money or put that money into obtaining the Dragon Boxes.
How much can the Dragon Box sets be had for these days? I would be $600 for them

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Reservation count was updated a minute ago. 1101/3000!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm IMO, The 2018 TOEI remaster of the Bardock Special is the gold standard for how DB (tv series, not movies), should look, and is the best it'll probably ever look.
Ehh, I'd say that (and the Toei Movie Blu-rays) are more the silver standard. The actual gold standard is the Amazon/Netflix release due to keeping the grain.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 pm Reservation count was updated a minute ago. 1101/3000!
Just goes to show that people will take whatever is put out no matter how crappy looking, and i will most certainly not be among that number because those screenshots have not given me much confidence.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 pm
DHM211 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm IMO, The 2018 TOEI remaster of the Bardock Special is the gold standard for how DB (tv series, not movies), should look, and is the best it'll probably ever look.
Ehh, I'd say that (and the Toei Movie Blu-rays) are more the silver standard. The actual gold standard is the Amazon/Netflix release due to keeping the grain.
I wish the grain was kept in on the special, but since a version with grain doesn't officially exist (both the animax TV and theater showings had the grain removed), this is the gold standard, as far as what was released goes.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:47 pm There's a reason people dislike Geekdom101, he has said and done a lot of vile stuff and he's not even a big YouTuber but acts like one. Research him if you want, it's out there.

I agree there are times he makes good DB videos, I watched his GT and Kai ones and they were great but can't be fussed to watch every single one as I have no interest.
So, because he's done some bad stuff, that's reason to doubt he has some friends or contacts that work within FUNimation? That doesn't make sense.

And, I don't even watch all of his videos either. The videos I mainly watch from him are his news videos, his interviews, & his discussion videos. Some of his videos, though, I think why they had to be made because the answers are obvious if you at least watch the show & pay attention. I mainly watch the videos that are on stuff that I actually don't know or aren't obvious without a lot of digging. Personally, I think those are the more interesting he's done.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Ha, I wouldn’t spend any money on this release until there’s something more convincing than that fugly screenshot from earlier. Absolutely not!
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 pm Reservation count was updated a minute ago. 1101/3000!
Just goes to show that people will take whatever is put out no matter how crappy looking, and i will most certainly not be among that number because those screenshots have not given me much confidence.
At this rate it will only take hours till it slowly reaches 3k. This release is unacceptable and yet, it's the one to celebrate Dragon Ball Z's 30th Anniversary.

You know, there's the possibility TOEI is making their own remaster while this is FUNimation's take on it. If so, I'd assume the Japanese DBZ 30th Blu-rays to have what the Dragon Box Z DVD boxset had and more.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm
At this rate it will only take hours till it slowly reaches 3k. This release is unacceptable and yet, it's the one to celebrate Dragon Ball Z's 30th Anniversary.

You know, there's the possibility TOEI is making their own remaster while this is FUNimation's take on it. If so, I'd assume the Japanese DBZ 30th Blu-rays to have what the Dragon Box Z DVD boxset had and more.
I’m not surprised the footage looks like shit. This is normal for FUNi. The level sets were much better than this atrocious mess!
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Unfortunately it looks like this set will be made because there are too many gullible people who will buy whatever junk Funi throws at them.

I've even seen Japanese fans commenting how bad it looks.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 pm Unfortunately it looks like this set will be made because there are too many gullible people who will buy whatever junk Funi throws at them.

I've even seen Japanese fans commenting how bad it looks.
The retards who purchase this crap are the reason we don’t have anything nice. Plain and simple! Why reward FUNi (the people who continue to beat you over the head with a stick)?
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube