Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:03 am
DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:35 am Image
If you already have the Season Blu-Rays, definitely stick with those. Despite being widescreen, you end up with much more footage :lol: .
Are they fucking making the 16:9 versions in 4:3?!!
I honestly don't know, without exact details on the specs we can only guess assuming that's not the final quality of the release.
Yeah...I guess I have a glimmer of hope inside of me still thinking this is just a placeholder, but WHY put something like this up if they want to sell? WHY? It's a huge gamble pre ordering this set. A very big one.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:31 am

I just asked the FUNi rep about the atrocious trailer footage and he said “I have no comment at this time.” Ouch!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:35 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:31 am I just asked the FUNi rep about the atrocious trailer footage and he said “I have no comment at this time.” Ouch!
So that hints on the video in this trailer being representative of the final product, huh?

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:36 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:31 am I just asked the FUNi rep about the atrocious trailer footage and he said “I have no comment at this time.” Ouch!
I think they realize they can't get away with footage that looks this bad. Is it possible this was the plan at first with 2500 then realized it looked and was terrible so bumped it up to 3k so Toei could properly remaster it?

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:41 am

DragonBallKing wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm
Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm
isamu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm

How much can the Dragon Box sets be had for these days? I would be $600 for them
Depends on how long and patience you want to be. If you want it all right now then yeah you'll probably looking around $600-$800 for the whole set. If you're now in a hurry then you can wait for good deals to present themselves. I bought box 7 for $4 at a video game convention then a few months later was able to get box 5 for about $40 off eBay. It certainly takes a lot longer, but you can find them for good prices if you wait and look long enough.
Where can I get the complete set of dragon boxes for 600-800? From what I've seen on ebay and amazon that's the price for a single box set not the whole series.
For a single box? Are you sure? How many boxes are contained in the Dragonbox?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:42 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:36 am
I think they realize they can't get away with footage that looks this bad. Is it possible this was the plan at first with 2500 then realized it looked and was terrible so bumped it up to 3k so Toei could properly remaster it?
I don't know what to believe. I don't think 500 more sets would do much if anything if that was the case.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:44 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 pm
The Patrolman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm At this point Dragon Ball fans should do what Star Wars fans have done. Create their own despecialize version of Dragon Ball Z
There are multiple threads here I could point to for that, mainly "Recolouring the Dragon Boxes".
I'm sorry, but the "Despecialized Z" comment doesn't make any sense, and responding to that with "color corrected DBox footage" makes even less sense.

The "Harmy's Despecialized" projects take the heavily altered Star Wars Special Editions and try to reverse the changes so that it resembles the original unaltered versions of the films. The Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays, shitty as they are, do NOT qualify as heavily altered versions of the show. A better analogy would be replacing as many of the redrawn and censored shots in Kai 1.0 with Z footage as possible, or trying to reverse as much visual censorship of the Saban Z footage as possible.

As for the "Color Corrected DBox footage" comment, that would be more along the lines of modified versions of the 2006 "GOUT" DVDs (like the Dark Jedi v3 releases) than the Despecialized Editions.

Personally, I find what you could've said far more intriguing. "At this point Dragon Ball fans should do something similar to what Star Wars fans have done with film prints of the movies. Acquire film prints of each episode of the series and scan it ourselves"
Last edited by Danfun64 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:46 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:35 am
So that hints on the video in this trailer being representative of the final product, huh?
Depends on who the rep is. Remember that FUNimation is a major studio that has different people working on DVDs/Blu-rays, streaming, dubbing, social media, etc. I don't imagine the people working over at simul-dubs know every single detail about what's going on over with the people managing the social media. Not trying to defend FUNi, just think it's very unlikely all the employees were sent an e-mail detailing this collection set, thus, literally have no comment.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:47 am

OK can someone clarify something for me?

I just discovered that the entire show is available on Bluray via some kind of Amazon exclusive boxset. How does this boxset compare(in terms of picture quality) to

A)The original Level sets?

B)The Dragonbox set?

What exactly is going on here? Why hasn't anyone mentioned anything about this Amazon set as a possible alternative purchase option?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:49 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am Yeah...I guess I have a glimmer of hope inside of me still thinking this is just a placeholder, but WHY put something like this up if they want to sell? WHY? It's a huge gamble pre ordering this set. A very big one.
Tell me about it. It’s not very encouraging that the only time FUNimation wants to reply to anyone asking questions on Twitter, it’s in regards to a preorder issue (need that money, dummies). However, why use two different footage sources for the trailer? Something doesn’t add up, and I hope we find out this month so I can decide whether to keep or cancel this thing.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 am

I wonder who remastered the Bardock TV special?
Animax themselves? I read some comment here where the poster was thinking toei would donc their own remaster in addition but... I don't think so.

I wonder what happens if this gets enough pre orders? Is this the final nail in the coffin for a good quality release of dbz should the trailer be representative of the final product ?
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:49 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am Yeah...I guess I have a glimmer of hope inside of me still thinking this is just a placeholder, but WHY put something like this up if they want to sell? WHY? It's a huge gamble pre ordering this set. A very big one.
Tell me about it. It’s not very encouraging that the only time FUNimation wants to reply to anyone asking questions on Twitter, it’s in regards to a preorder issue (need that money, dummies). However, why use two different footage sources for the trailer? Something doesn’t add up, and I hope we find out this month so I can decide whether to keep or cancel this thing.
So you can pre order, then cancel?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:53 am

OutRun2 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:47 am OK can someone clarify something for me?

I just discovered that the entire show is available on Bluray via some kind of Amazon exclusive boxset. How does this boxset compare(in terms of picture quality) to

B)The Dragonbox set?

What exactly is going on here? Why hasn't anyone mentioned anything about this Amazon set as a possible alternative purchase option?
Amazon exclusive boxset? I'm going to guess that it's a bundle of the 2014 Blu-rays, in all their DNR'd 16:9 cropped glory. ATM that bundle is actually about $30 more than this release! If you're going to buy a shitty DBZ release, you might as well save 30 bucks by buying this one.

Or not, as apparently complete Orange Brick collections range from $100-$150 on Amazon.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:44 am
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 pm
The Patrolman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm At this point Dragon Ball fans should do what Star Wars fans have done. Create their own despecialize version of Dragon Ball Z
There are multiple threads here I could point to for that, mainly "Recolouring the Dragon Boxes".
I'm sorry, but the "Despecialized Z" comment doesn't make any sense, and responding to that with "color corrected DBox footage" makes even less sense.
First, I didn't make the original comment. Second, my suggestion was the closest analogue Dragon Ball has to the Star Wars situation, and I personally think it still fits: in both examples fans are adjusting the highest-quality release of the series to fit their personal standards.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:57 am

I didn't say you made the original comment. To me though, comparing the Despecialized Star Wars with color correcting the Dragon Box footage is a false analogy.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

isamu

Post by isamu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:57 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:53 am
OutRun2 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:47 am OK can someone clarify something for me?

B)The Dragonbox set?

Amazon exclusive boxset? I'm going to guess that it's a bundle of the 2014 Blu-rays, in all their DNR'd 16:9 cropped glory. ATM that bundle is actually about $30 more than this release! If you're going to buy a shitty DBZ release, you might as well save 30 bucks by buying this one.

Or not, as apparently complete Orange Brick collections range from $100-$150 on Amazon.

Danfun....the 2014 set was not complete, but this amazon set has ALL of the episodes. Can anyone verify what this amazon set actually is and is it 4:3?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:00 am

You're confusing the 2014 sets (which covered the whole series. If anything, it's Kanzenshuu's home video guide page that's incomplete) with the cancelled 2011 Level sets (which as released only covered Ep 1-34. Technically Ep 1-39 if you count the five episodes that used to be XBLA exclusive.)
Last edited by Danfun64 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 am I wonder who remastered the Bardock TV special?
Animax themselves? I read some comment here where the poster was thinking toei would donc their own remaster in addition but... I don't think so.

I wonder what happens if this gets enough pre orders? Is this the final nail in the coffin for a good quality release of dbz should the trailer be representative of the final product ?
https://www.funimation.com/shop-policy/

At the bottom, it says you can email them to cancel an order. Not highly encouraging, but I’ve never seen a store force you to keep an order if you don’t want it. But yes, I took a $350 gamble with the hopes that I can cancel it if I’m not satisfied.

Seeing as how they’re only doing 3,000 to start, I figure if this turns out better than shown, a lot of people will be clamoring for that additional (not guaranteed) 3,000 boxes that seem to be directed for sale outside this order, so better to play it safe.

I don’t know, worst case scenario they say I can’t cancel anything (highly unorthodox though, I’ve never heard of someone refusing cancellations and returns for new product) and it turns out to actually be that bad, I can get it when it launches and then turn around and immediately sell it sealed.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:12 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:57 am I didn't say you made the original comment. To me though, comparing the Despecialized Star Wars with color correcting the Dragon Box footage is a false analogy.
I think it's a fair point to make. It's trying to make something that looks and sounds as good as possible out of multiple sources when what the current owners or distributors of a series fails to provide, though it'd be more comparable to general DB fanedits like adding the broadcast audio, cutting filler etc.

The only difference is that Star Wars doesn't have as big of a community dedicated to thinking that George's shitty remasters were what they saw in the 70s and 80s and "what Star Wars is supposed to be".

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 am

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 am I wonder who remastered the Bardock TV special?

https://www.funimation.com/shop-policy/

At the bottom, it says you can email them to cancel an order. Not highly encouraging, but I’ve never seen a store force you to keep an order if you don’t want it. But yes, I took a $350 gamble with the hopes that I can cancel it if I’m not satisfied.

Seeing as how they’re only doing 3,000 to start, I figure if this turns out better than shown, a lot of people will be clamoring for that additional (not guaranteed) 3,000 boxes that seem to be directed for sale outside this order, so better to play it safe.

I don’t know, worst case scenario they say I can’t cancel anything (highly unorthodox though, I’ve never heard of someone refusing cancellations and returns for new product) and it turns out to actually be that bad, I can get it when it launches and then turn around and immediately sell it sealed.
I’m sorry to hear you’re taking a chance. This is exactly what FUNi wants. You will be sorely disappointed ... IMO.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:22 am

Since the Dragon Boxes came out well before I had the money to spend on stuff like that, I was hoping I'd finally have a respectable release here. But, if what we've seen is what we're getting, I guess there goes that hope. Sigh...

I might not have been paying attention enough, but I had gotten the impression that Funimation is generally on the ball these days, at least with their non-Dragon Ball stuff. Do they screw up other shows, or is DBZ in this weird "it's our cash cow, no need to put in effort" bubble?
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.