Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by coola » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:40 am

Well then, no Broadcast audio, crappy remaster on par with other Toei anime from 1980-1990's...gonna keep Dragon Boxes then, screw you, Toei :(
Last edited by coola on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 am

I don't know what the complaint are about. It's 4:3, it's Blu-ray, it's cheap, it's the complete set. I don't know what the problem might be. To me as long as the footage is there, the colors aren't totally warped (don't care about little nuances of broadcast vs. Dragon Box vs. whatever else), I'm good.

Reserved. Thank you.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:48 am

This is horrible to say but I will find it hilarious if they release a new trailer that shows a much better remaster and everyone go oh crud and it sell out in like an hour 😂😂😂😂. It’s clear things don’t add up here the package design is clearly something from Toei Animation. And the trailer is clearly some quickly shitty thrown together thing. I still believe some of that $1,000,000 is going into funding this project.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 am I don't know what the complaint are about. It's 4:3, it's Blu-ray, it's cheap, it's the complete set. I don't know what the problem might be. To me as long as the footage is there, the colors aren't totally warped (don't care about little nuances of broadcast vs. Dragon Box vs. whatever else), I'm good.

Reserved. Thank you.
It's 4:3 but it's less footage than any other 4:3 release as it's zoomed like the Blue Bricks except more severely. And I guess if you're ok with the 16:9 Blu-ray colors you'll be ok with this. It's not nuanced, it's pretty obviously awful looking. Dark areas are ruined, DNR is heavy, etc.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:48 am This is horrible to say but I will find it hilarious if they release a new trailer that shows a much better remaster and everyone go oh crud and it sell out in like an hour 😂😂😂😂. It’s clear things don’t add up here the package design is clearly something from Toei Animation. And the trailer is clearly some quickly shitty thrown together thing. I still believe some of that $1,000,000 is going into funding this project.
I was thinking the same thing too, because with packaging like that i wouldn't figure they would just slap their Season BD masters reformatted to 4:3 into the set.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 am

Orange Bricks, Double Features, Season Blu-rays these were all "remastered" by FUNimation and what they showed on the trailers was what the product was.. shit.

I get that fans here are hoping the footage they showed isn't the actual but wake up, it's FUNimation, they do this bs all the friggin time. Stop being delusional.

Better pray TOEI is carefully doing their own remaster or we'll still have to stick to the Dboxes because this new remaster by FUNimation is complete junk.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:48 am This is horrible to say but I will find it hilarious if they release a new trailer that shows a much better remaster and everyone go oh crud and it sell out in like an hour 😂😂😂😂. It’s clear things don’t add up here the package design is clearly something from Toei Animation. And the trailer is clearly some quickly shitty thrown together thing. I still believe some of that $1,000,000 is going into funding this project.
That’s exactly why I put in an order anyway, the mish-mash trailer was enough to convince me we haven’t seen the whole picture. If that happens, I want a box secured, not find out in the middle of a work day and then rush to try and order one only to find out it’s gone. It’s practically win-win really, if it’s bad footage I can either keep it and still have Z on Blu-ray (even if it’s bad) because DVDs are more prone to accidental damage which is something I worry about with my Dragon Boxes despite how careful I am with everything, or probably turn around and sell it for a profit.

The guy in here going around insulting the people that put in orders is severely out of line.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:57 am

Also this could be a marketing tactic not a good one but if they really want to sell all 6000 you release a shitty trailer at first. Faith is tested of the fans then another trailer once it is funded saying your wish has been granted here is the first true preview of DBZ in 4:3 in HD. If it looked like the Bardock special it would sell out within an hour!!! If it looked like the level sets probably a day.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:59 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 amI get that fans here are hoping the footage they showed isn't the actual but wake up, it's FUNimation, they do this bs all the friggin time. Stop being delusional.
Not that I disagree with your point, but I do feel there is a small grain there regarding the intro footage and Ep 1 footage being of different quality. You don't have to come in here hammering your point for the eighth time just because someone new has come in with an opinion different than yours.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 am

One more thought if any of Funimation came in to these forums before this was released and saw people saying the level sets are awful how can you make that footage more appealing? By giving us something worse looking at first 😃. If I was Funimation and I knew it was just the level sets again I would totally release something that looked like absolute shit. So that when I show the level sets next time everyone is on board. It’s what Disney did with Aladdin live action released two shitty trailers so there average one looked great.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:02 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 amI’ve never seen that happen for a remastered video.
I have. Again, it happens all the time. Take Star Wars, for example. For the 2004 DVD release, they used 1997 footage for trailers and ads. And again for the 2011 Blu-ray, they used 2004 footage. And there are other examples. Warner did the same recently with The Matrix, they have a new master but used the old one for trailers and publicity material.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 amUsually they show you what you are getting and if you they can’t show you they tell you.
Usually, yes. But not always. And the times that it doesn't happen aren't rare.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 amAnd it’s not like they took previous footage from other sets. What they are showing is different. People even posted comparisons.
It actually looks like it they are using masters they had from previous sets. The Level sets (intro) and the uncropped Season sets for the rest.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 am One more thought if any of Funimation came in to these forums before this was released and saw people saying the level sets are awful how can you make that footage more appealing? By giving us something worse looking at first 😃. If I was Funimation and I knew it was just the level sets again I would totally release something that looked like absolute shit. So that when I show the level sets next time everyone is on board. It’s what Disney did with Aladdin live action released two shitty trailers so there average one looked great.
FUNimation cancelled all their good DBZ releases (UUE, Level Remaster for DB & DBZ) and stuck with the crappy ones (OB, DR, Season BDs).

For some reason you're overly excited in hopes they only made a bad, bad trailer and they'll release a proper one later. Smh.

Btw, Aladdin still looks like an amateur photoshop.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:14 am

I wonder if the episode count is reflective of the final count
Season One Disc One: 1-10
Season Two Disc One - 40-49
Season Two Disc Four- 70-74
Season Three Disc One- 75-84

It's close the season blurays but slightly different. Also didn't realize the episode count per-disc was similar to the level sets so the DNRing (Which Batman TAS has some extent to fit more episodes) isn't really an excuse since the level sets were fine (tho less episodes would make them look better)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 am One more thought if any of Funimation came in to these forums before this was released and saw people saying the level sets are awful how can you make that footage more appealing? By giving us something worse looking at first 😃. If I was Funimation and I knew it was just the level sets again I would totally release something that looked like absolute shit. So that when I show the level sets next time everyone is on board. It’s what Disney did with Aladdin live action released two shitty trailers so there average one looked great.
FUNimation cancelled all their good DBZ releases (UUE, Level Remaster for DB & DBZ) and stuck with the crappy ones (OB, DR, Season BDs).

For some reason you're overly excited in hopes they only made a bad, bad trailer and they'll release a proper one later. Smh.

Btw, Aladdin still looks like an amateur photoshop.
Though i went with the pricier option of hunting for the Dragon Boxes on eBay, because there was no way in hell that i was going to give FUNi a single red cent on those god awful cropped smear fests of so called "remasters" and i am glad i did because the series deserves to be seen as intended with the best quality and not screwed around with in every which way like what they have done barring the few exceptions since 2007.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 amThough i went with the pricier option of hunting for the Dragon Boxes on eBay, because there was no way in hell that i was going to give FUNi a single red cent on those god awful cropped smear fests of so called "remasters" and i am glad i did because the series deserves to be seen as intended with the best quality and not screwed around with in every which way like what they have done barring the few exceptions since 2007.
That's evidently an option but another one is to wait and see what TOEI is working on (this is obviously FUNimation's shitty "remastering" job). FUNimation is pretty much hopeless when it comes to doing a good job remastering series and movies.

If FUNimation cared about Dragon Ball Z and the franchise in general, they wouldn't constantly fuck it with it which they have done ever since 2007 and now again in 2019. The UUE and Level Sets looked amazing but of course, they were cancelled because they found an easier and more profitable way of milking Dragon Ball Z.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Jan 02, 1970 3:10 pm
It actually looks like it they are using masters they had from previous sets. The Level sets (intro) and the uncropped Season sets for the rest.
Wrong . I mean yes the opening may come from the level sets but you are wrong that it is just uncropped Blu-ray sets.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/12E1NNNU

Again you said they used old footage to announce remastered sets but that is NOT what they are doing here.

If it was just old footage and they said and it will be a new remaster then you would have a point. But they literally are showing us what the 4:3 will look like in the trailer. Zoomed and you actually lose more of the frame than what is on the Blu-ray. Not to mention horrible saturation.

There is also literally no information beyond those trailers. Again if they don’t have the remaster ready why not just say we are working on it.

Edit: For the record Id love to be wrong but also it would be pretty shitty to ask people to crowd fund something and then not tell them what exactly they are crowd funding. I mean it’s not really that hard to say what the set actually is.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:37 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 amThough i went with the pricier option of hunting for the Dragon Boxes on eBay, because there was no way in hell that i was going to give FUNi a single red cent on those god awful cropped smear fests of so called "remasters" and i am glad i did because the series deserves to be seen as intended with the best quality and not screwed around with in every which way like what they have done barring the few exceptions since 2007.
That's evidently an option but another one is to wait and see what TOEI is working on (this is obviously FUNimation's shitty "remastering" job). FUNimation is pretty much hopeless when it comes to doing a good job remastering series and movies.

If FUNimation cared about Dragon Ball Z and the franchise in general, they wouldn't constantly fuck it with it which they have done ever since 2007 and now again in 2019. The UUE and Level Sets looked amazing but of course, they were cancelled because they found an easier and more profitable way of milking Dragon Ball Z.
Yeah, i really can't trust or have any high expectations of them to do the series justice. That is aside from the Dragon Boxes and the shelves Level sets because every other release of theirs has been cropped, DNR'd to oblivion garbage that i wasn't about to waste my money on. I started getting them at the time because it didn't look like anything better was coming, but as you said maybe Toei will eventually do a proper remaster and license it to them.

For now i am perfectly content with my Dragon Boxes which i've got all backed up to m4v files to watch anytime on my computer, because even with their flaws they are the best available release at this point in time.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:57 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 amWrong . I mean yes the opening may come from the level sets but you are wrong that it is just uncropped Blu-ray sets.
I said uncropped masters used for the Season sets. The masters that were used could still be cropped. But they are uncropped when compared to a widescreen crop. A bit of misnomer, but that was my main point.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 amAgain you said they used old footage to announce remastered sets but that is NOT what they are doing here.

If it was just old footage and they said and it will be a new remaster then you would have a point. But they literally are showing us what the 4:3 will look like in the trailer.
What some of us are saying is that they could be (different from saying that they are) using the 4:3 masters that were used for the widescreen seasons set just to reinforce the fact that it's a 4:3 release. And the actual remastered footage was not used. This is based on the fact that they used two different sources for the footage shown in the trailer, and the fact that using existing old masters to promote a future remastered release can happen (and has happened).
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 amEdit: For the record Id love to be wrong but also it would be pretty shitty to ask people to crowd fund something and then not tell them what exactly they are crowd funding. I mean it’s not really that hard to say what the set actually is.
Exactly, it's not. That's why I said that I don't mind the outrage, since it could force them to give some more information and provide actual video samples. But considering that they are still able to sell with the subpar trailer, I guess the joke is not on them.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 am

There's still 29 days left so they'll obviously get schmucks to pre-order it regardless of how mediocre it looks.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:19 am

Wishful thinking to assume the footage isn’t already done.

They aren’t going to spend a large sum of money to properly remaster an entire SERIES for a ‘limited’ release. It happens for movies like The Godfather , Apocalypse Now because those are small amounts of footage compared to DB, and they have much larger financials.

To them, they already invested large amounts of money to remaster the series into a massively successful set, why waste the time doing it again for an audience that’s less than 500 people presumably?

And to those saying that FUNI has been ‘fu**ing’ with the series for the last few years by not giving us an authentic release, remember that in the largest fan base in the world for an anime show, we are just a group of 500 people who even know about the missing footage.
Last edited by Bardo117 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Conejo Malo