Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Q: Are you not able to reveal more details of the 30th anniversary because the remaster is not complete?

A: “Please check out our trailer and understand our mixing board is doing their very best for those who want the hardcore experience. Also, there might be a special prize given to fans who pre-ordered the 30th anniversary edition before the deadline. They will be selected randomly.”

Let me guess, a signed poster? Pttf, give me a break. They are trying so hard to get people to buy this. If only they reduced the price and ditched a figure and maybe the art book, they could’ve focused on a better box and remaster.
Interesting this still doesn’t answer anything! 😂😂😂

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Q: Are you not able to reveal more details of the 30th anniversary because the remaster is not complete?

A: “Please check out our trailer and understand our mixing board is doing their very best for those who want the hardcore experience. Also, there might be a special prize given to fans who pre-ordered the 30th anniversary edition before the deadline. They will be selected randomly.”

Let me guess, a signed poster? Pttf, give me a break. They are trying so hard to get people to buy this. If only they reduced the price and ditched a figure and maybe the art book, they could’ve focused on a better box and remaster.
Interesting this still doesn’t answer anything! 😂😂😂

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4092
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:41 pm

I still hold onto the hope that they released it to give people an idea of what they're getting and the footage was just to emphasize tee 4:3. It's hard to get people to commit to spending $350 without seeing anything. I'm still holding onto the idea that the money they collect will go to tweaking this release.

I'm the very least I know one thing -- each time they come out with a limited edition release, those prices jack up to stupid levels and people always regret not getting them. Thus, I won't be regretting it either way. I'm happy to have a true collectors' item.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Almost 2000 copies out of 3000 have been reserved. People literally buy crap as long as it's well presented to them.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:51 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Q: Are you not able to reveal more details of the 30th anniversary because the remaster is not complete?

A: “Please check out our trailer and understand our mixing board is doing their very best for those who want the hardcore experience. Also, there might be a special prize given to fans who pre-ordered the 30th anniversary edition before the deadline. They will be selected randomly.”

Let me guess, a signed poster? Pttf, give me a break. They are trying so hard to get people to buy this. If only they reduced the price and ditched a figure and maybe the art book, they could’ve focused on a better box and remaster.
Interesting this still doesn’t answer anything! 😂😂😂
I know, right? :P My question must’ve been simply too hardcorEeeEe for them. 8)

Let me translate the answer I received without all the BS:

“The trailer footage is indeed atrocious, but we’re too lazy to spend time and money making a premium product for the “hardcore” audience, so for now I’m going to be very careful with my next response and not throw our crew under the bus for ripping off the fans. Don’t forget this is a super limited and cool thing you can tell your grandkids about. Also, if you reserve your black brick, you might possibly be a lucky winner for a signed bar of soap (I mean poster the size of a napkin or postcard that you can lay next to your limited edition Goku action figure). Cheers! :)
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3219
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Looking at how they handled another Boxset - Rock The Dragon

First we had this, and we know how different the final product was
Image

Then next we had the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYgAydD6D0

A few things to note with this trailer
-Unaltered footage (the final product was zoomed in and desaturated
-Tree of might uses audio from the uncut dub *you can hear the Japanese score* and we know for a fact we got the TV dub of that

so I guess we can take it that we're not seeing the final product, tho at the very least I feel the clips in the new trailer are what they're aiming for.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:33 pm
Skimming over some earlier pages since I was last here (big uni assignment, so I'm just popping in briefly out of morbid curiosity), I saw some talk earlier about calling these the Black Bricks.

Calling these the Black Bricks would be a massive missed opportunity, and I'm sure you'll all agree that there's a far better, far more correct name, assuming this release is as bad as it appears (and I'm sure it will be)...

The shit bricks.

Named, of course, after what happened to each of us upon seeing the trailer.

I think we can all agree this is a far better nickname for this release, assuming it's as bad as all indications point to.
"Black Bricks" sounds good for it.
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm
For those that are bashing and saying anyone who thinks this trailer is not the final product is dilusional let me pose one simple question. Why is the film footage only from episode 1 of this master is done and is the final product? The Dragon Boxes, Blu Rays, Level Sets, Orange Bricks all had film footage from multiple episodes. This to me screams the remaster is not done!!!
You seem desperate for people to agree with you and think there's more to the remaster than what theyv shown. Chill.
sangofe wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 am
sintzu wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 am
Dragon Sponge wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 am
It´s really a shame that Toei didn´t made an Worldwide release of the Dragon Boxes back in the early/mid 2000´s, instead of keeping them just in Japan for the most Part. This could have preventet Funi´s own meddling Releases.
I wouldn't be surprised if Toei is working on their own remaster for the Japanese market as they have already remastered the Bardock special.
That might have been animax who remastered it, you know.
If that was the case, then why did TV SP1 get a special theater run in America? That doesn't add up. If it was done by Animax then it would have stayed Japan-only.
Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:19 am
Wishful thinking to assume the footage isn’t already done.

They aren’t going to spend a large sum of money to properly remaster an entire SERIES for a ‘limited’ release. It happens for movies like The Godfather , Apocalypse Now because those are small amounts of footage compared to DB, and they have much larger financials.

To them, they already invested large amounts of money to remaster the series into a massively successful set, why waste the time doing it again for an audience that’s less than 500 people presumably?


And to those saying that FUNI has been ‘fu**ing’ with the series for the last few years by not giving us an authentic release, remember that in the largest fan base in the world for an anime show, we are just a group of 500 people who even know about the missing footage.
FUNimation treats its fans more or less like cattle that'll take anything without complaining and look at the reservations, it's getting closer to 3k.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10187
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Q: Are you not able to reveal more details of the 30th anniversary because the remaster is not complete?

A: “Please check out our trailer and understand our mixing board is doing their very best for those who want the hardcore experience. Also, there might be a special prize given to fans who pre-ordered the 30th anniversary edition before the deadline. They will be selected randomly.”

Let me guess, a signed poster? Pttf, give me a break! They are trying so hard to get people to buy this. If only they reduced the price and ditched a figure and maybe the art book, they could’ve focused on a better box and remaster.
The figure isn't the issue. Not only did Bandai re use digital assets for it but it'll likely cost them the usual 800yen for one.

User avatar
Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm

FUNImation will never please anyone on this forum, I pre-ordered my copy at 200 MPH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeroN4mW8fo
El Conejo Malo

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm
FUNImation will never please anyone on this forum
If they keep pulling this sort of shit (which I highly suspect they will), then hell yeah FUNimation will never please any of us. You act like that's unreasonable.
Avid Star Wars, Dragon Ball, and DC Fan.

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza

Star Wars Rankings: 1. ROTS 2. TLJ 3. RO 4. TESB 5. ROTJ 6. ANH 7. TFA 8. SOLO 9. TPM 10. AOTC

DCEU Rankings: 1. WW 2. AQM 3. BVS 4. JL 5. MOS 6. SS
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm
FUNImation will never please anyone on this forum, I pre-ordered my copy at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeroN4mW8fo 200 MPH.
I was quite pleased with how Funimation handled their Double Feature movies on blu-ray, the level sets, and DB movies 1, 3, and 4. Hell, I even thought the Orange Bricks for seasons 7 - 9 looked pretty good, but this shit is garbage.

User avatar
Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:35 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:19 am
Wishful thinking to assume the footage isn’t already done.

They aren’t going to spend a large sum of money to properly remaster an entire SERIES for a ‘limited’ release. It happens for movies like The Godfather , Apocalypse Now because those are small amounts of footage compared to DB, and they have much larger financials.

To them, they already invested large amounts of money to remaster the series into a massively successful set, why waste the time doing it again for an audience that’s less than 500 people presumably?


And to those saying that FUNI has been ‘fu**ing’ with the series for the last few years by not giving us an authentic release, remember that in the largest fan base in the world for an anime show, we are just a group of 500 people who even know about the missing footage.
FUNimation treats its fans more or less like cattle that'll take anything without complaining and look at the reservations, it's getting closer to 3k.
Reservations don't mean anything in regards to people actually appreciating the 4:3 set. I've got two acquaintances buying this product because its an Anniversary Edition.
El Conejo Malo

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm
FUNImation will never please anyone on this forum, I pre-ordered my copy at 200 MPH.
This forum was perfectly fine with the level sets, and while there were issues with the US Dragon Boxes, the principle of their existence was one wholly appreciated by the hardcore fandom.

This release is bad. If someone doesn't like it, it's not because they're unpleasable, it's because Funimation has been jerking us around for years with something that should be simple. Because they've proven they can do it right. They are choosing not to.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:32 pm
Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm
FUNImation will never please anyone on this forum
If they keep pulling this sort of shit (which I highly suspect they will), then hell yeah FUNimation will never please any of us. You act like that's unreasonable.

Honestly, they've been pulling this weird sh** on us for the last 20 years, and we're still here. We're not going anywhere even if FUNI's enire history is filled with bad releases. There's ALWAYS a controversy.

Singles - Too many of them(Small Episode Count), expensive, hard to find, missing Episodes 40-74.
Uncut - Canceled, expensive,
Orange Bricks - Crop and Saturated Fest
Dragon Boxes - Limited release, people whining that they're expensive (that's how collectors items work)
Level Sets - Canceled
Blu-Rays - Copy and Pasting of the Orange Bricks
Black Box - We haven't even seen actual footage yet and there's already complaints. It's expensive because it's a collectors item. It's a hobby, not a necessity. This isn't a gallon of milk or water. You can live without it.
El Conejo Malo

User avatar
clutchins
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by clutchins » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Funimation has some nerve to assume that the hardcore community will simply eat this up. Literally everything shown can either be bought/seen elsewhere in better quality or is hideously gaudy in design.

Here's what your hard earned $350 gets you:
-video that is zoomed in more than any other 4:3 release, masters come from shitty Season BDs
-"exclusive" figure that is an ugly all-gray version of something you can already buy
-artbook, a.k.a. reprints of covers from BDs that hardcore fans hate
-ugly Black Brick box, no color like the Dragon Boxes or even Rock the Dragon which were both limited releases
-a piece of fucking paper

And to all the collectors supporting this trash because you just HAVE to buy every single release, you are part of the problem. What you are saying to Funimation is that you are okay with them treating your favorite show like a beaten housewife. You are voting with your wallet for more of the same cheap cash grab releases from Funimation from now til eternity. Stop letting them get away with this shit and DEMAND BETTER.
NC's resident Dragon Ball superfan

Episode Guides: [ DB | DBZ Uncut | DBZ Edited | DBGT | Movies/Specials | Kai ]
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
Original Thread Topic wrote:Did Dragon Ball ever motivate you to exercise?
No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 pm
PremiumSalt wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:32 pm
Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm
FUNImation will never please anyone on this forum
If they keep pulling this sort of shit (which I highly suspect they will), then hell yeah FUNimation will never please any of us. You act like that's unreasonable.

Honestly, they've been pulling this weird sh** on us for the last 20 years, and we're still here. We're not going anywhere even if FUNI's enire history is filled with bad releases. There's ALWAYS a controversy.

Singles - Too many of them(Small Episode Count), expensive, hard to find, missing Episodes 40-74.
Uncut - Canceled, expensive,
Orange Bricks - Crop and Saturated Fest
Dragon Boxes - Limited release, people whining that they're expensive (that's how collectors items work)
Level Sets - Canceled
Blu-Rays - Copy and Pasting of the Orange Bricks
Black Box - We haven't even seen actual footage yet and there's already complaints. It's expensive because it's a collectors item. It's a hobby, not a necessity. This isn't a gallon of milk or water. You can live without it.
Really not trying to be rude here, but, YES. WE. HAVE. There is nothing indicating that the footage in the trailer isn't final. This is just an assumption a bunch of you have made that you are all treating as fact now.
Avid Star Wars, Dragon Ball, and DC Fan.

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza

Star Wars Rankings: 1. ROTS 2. TLJ 3. RO 4. TESB 5. ROTJ 6. ANH 7. TFA 8. SOLO 9. TPM 10. AOTC

DCEU Rankings: 1. WW 2. AQM 3. BVS 4. JL 5. MOS 6. SS
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
clutchins
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by clutchins » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 pm
Honestly, they've been pulling this weird sh** on us for the last 20 years, and we're still here. We're not going anywhere even if FUNI's enire history is filled with bad releases. There's ALWAYS a controversy.

Singles - Too many of them(Small Episode Count), expensive, hard to find, missing Episodes 40-74.
Uncut - Canceled, expensive,
Orange Bricks - Crop and Saturated Fest
Dragon Boxes - Limited release, people whining that they're expensive (that's how collectors items work)
Level Sets - Canceled
Blu-Rays - Copy and Pasting of the Orange Bricks
Black Box - We haven't even seen actual footage yet and there's already complaints. It's expensive because it's a collectors item. It's a hobby, not a necessity. This isn't a gallon of milk or water. You can live without it.
My favorite stockholm syndrome defense - "It's not the actual footage! They have some super-special-awesome-extra-chocolately footage in store for us!"

Listen to yourself. You're in such denial, man. Why wouldn't they show the "real" footage to us if they had it ready to go?

And it's expensive because they're trying to maximize their profit margins by putting the absolute bare minimum effort into this supposed celebration of a storied franchise on its 30th anniversary. Nothing about this release screams "premium". Your argument is invalid.
NC's resident Dragon Ball superfan

Episode Guides: [ DB | DBZ Uncut | DBZ Edited | DBGT | Movies/Specials | Kai ]
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
Original Thread Topic wrote:Did Dragon Ball ever motivate you to exercise?
No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3219
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Also another pre-release trailer that wasnt 100% the final product
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byo4rgMHUM4

This I think works worse than what we got and the eye catch is just a straight up zoom then what they decided to look with it.

So I'm guessing what we see in the trailer isnt 100% but an approximation (which is for better or worse honestly) but it seems FUNi has a track-record here

User avatar
Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:01 pm

You guys are forgetting something very important, PLEASE take context into account when making your statements.

In the eyes of the 99.999999% of fans who have purchased the Orange Bricks, Blu-Rays, they have been absolutely perfect releases. Think about it. It fits perfectly into everyone's television, the colors are vibrant (incorrect, but we all know that people naturally gravitate towards bright pallets) and they're not expensive. I'm willing to say that what we consider the WORST release of all time, is probably FUNI's best seller company wide.

Any time I speak to people who own the Orange Bricks, they're always unaware of the cropping. They don't know that extra footage, nor do they seem to mind its missing when I tell them. It's not a big deal AT ALL outside of this community.

I love my DragonBoxes to death because I understand the purity behind them, but nothing will ever beat the euphoria of when I first got my hands on the orange bricks 12 years ago.

I worked at Best-Buy for my first job, and the #1 Complaint about our Calibrated Televisions was 'why is that one brighter,
it looks way better'
Image

Seriously, even if the picture on the left shows the REAL colors, people will still gravitate towards the pictures on the right.
Last edited by Bardo117 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
El Conejo Malo

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:03 pm

A lot of people here being unnecessarily nasty toward their fellow fans. I think it’s a small chance at best, but I’m really going to laugh if the ‘footage isn’t final’ ends up being the case.

Post Reply