Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:35 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:32 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:29 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:27 pm
I'm gonna try it out on a samsung ipad and see what it does and I'll let ya'll know. also I don't have a credit card added to my account yet so maaaaybe that could be it? I'm not trolling everyone with this issue. you all know I've been around for a while and wouldn't do that.
Nah it's all good. SqueakyBoots's guest checkout option is another good possibility.
I have it in my cart right now. how do I do guest check out.
Hover over the cart at the top right and hit Checkout. Then under Account Log In and Social Log In, Guest Checkout should be in a big font.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it to work LOL I'll add my details and stuff man I'm happier than a pig in crap to get yet another inferior release.
Last edited by samuraix123 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:37 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 am Honestly, for me, at the end. I've thought about giving it a shot but I'm just done with getting DBZ. They've milked it too much and I barely watch what I have (the level sets) so this is just going to be a $350 display piece, even if it turns out being stellar. And if I have to wait another 10 years for another set that might be good, I'll be almost 40 and that's just ridiculous (not buying anime at 40 more so, that I need to save money and not just throw it at every release because I don't have the luxury of doing so..) If the movies come out then perhaps i'll get the ones I enjoy the most but I think I'm done.
After this I think I’m with you there. I own it once over on DVD, Kai on Blu-ray, and I just want a version of Z on Blu-ray, and then I’ll probably call it quits after that. I’ve been meaning to go past Zeta Gundam with my Gundam Blu-ray collection for awhile, I think it’s time to start collecting those rather than buying the same show over and over again. I just picked Jon Outlaw Star on Blu-ray, it’s nice to buy something different once in awhile.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it to work LOL I'll add my details and stuff man I'm happier than a pig in crap to get yet another inferior release.
I don't get the appeal of wasting money on crap and supporting crap so that more crap gets made but that's just me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 pm I’m sorry but I am also 30 I plan on watching and supporting Dragonball for many years to come. It still excites me as much as it did when I was an 8 year old. You are never too old for anime 😉.
I mean i have also liked it for a long time too albeit in cycles, first during a good bit of the length of FUNi's dub run of the original three series and the Ultimate Uncut run in 2005. Then again around 2010 once Kai reared its head over here, so i have been an on/off fan for years but i have always had an interest since i first saw the show as a child on Cartoon Network/Toonami in the early 2000's.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:43 pm

2265 / 3000

Seems to be slowing down a little. I'm sure it'll still reach 3000 (ugh) but I felt it was worth mentioning.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Will this charge me right away?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:49 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 pm I’m sorry but I am also 30 I plan on watching and supporting Dragonball for many years to come. It still excites me as much as it did when I was an 8 year old. You are never too old for anime 😉.
Like I said, I just dont watch the series anymore and I need to save my money as I dont have the cash flow to keep spending on z

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:50 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 pm Will this charge me right away?
No. If you used a credit card it's just a reserve, and will be charged if/when it reaches 3000 reserves. If you used a debit card, it will show up as a purchase on your account but it's simply that funds will be withheld until the set is officially purchased (once again, after 3000 reserves).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:57 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:49 pm
Like I said, I just dont watch the series anymore and I need to save my money as I dont have the cash flow to keep spending on z
Same here, as i have been collecting the series/movies on and off since 2010 and reduced down over time to just here and there purchases more recently. I do still intend to get the rest of Kai and the other volumes of Super eventually.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 pm

If the trailer footage is more or less the final result, then this will sorely dissapoint. The fact that FUNi is marketing this as a limited release and using the limited quantities as a selling point, all while being vague about the remaster just reeks of shady. They know fans don't want to miss out on a "hardcore" set like they did with the Dragon Boxes.

Maybe best to wait for Toei to come out with their own release in Japan and see if that's any better. Probably won't be limited either.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:35 pm

I’m right there with you :). I’ll be 40 years old around the time of Dragon Ball Zs 40th anniversary, and to be completely honest, the interest in watching the series has faded significantly due to the mistreatment it’s gotten since I can remember. I have been, and will always be a fan of hand-drawn animation from the 1990s and early 2000s. The new era of animation makes characters look like shiny, squeaky clean, plastic wax dolls (especially the girls with unrealistic sized boobs). It’s just not what it used to be.

But it never ceases to amaze me to see these kiddos spend $350 on dog shit, but hey whatever makes you feel “exclusive”. You are making history by allowing FUNimation to beat us over the head with a stick. It is people like you who ruin the chance of ever owning something truly astounding. I’ve collected a lot of 1990s anime and have tried to find the best overall version of each show, but there comes a point where you have to wake up and say “enough is enough”. Dragon Ball Z is fucked. We will never get a true remaster, only censorship and mutilation.

It just wasn’t in the cards.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:35 pm
I’m right there with you :). I’ll be 40 years old around the time of Dragon Ball Zs 40th anniversary, and to be completely honest, the interest in watching the series has faded significantly due to the mistreatment it’s gotten since I can remember. I have been, and will always be a fan of hand-drawn animation from the 1990s and early 2000s. The new era of animation makes anime characters look like shiny, squeaky clean, plastic wax dolls (especially the girls with unrealistic sized boobs). It’s just not what it used to be.

But it never ceases to amaze me to see these kiddos spend $350 on dog shit, but hey whatever makes you feel “exclusive”. You are making history by allowing FUNimation to beat us over the head with a stick. It is people like you who ruin the chance of ever owning something truly astounding. I’ve collected a lot of 1990s anime and have tried to find the best overall version of each show, but there comes a point where you have to wake up and say “enough is enough”. Dragon Ball Z is fucked. We will never get a true remaster, only censorship and mutilation.

Which is really quite sad when you think about it, and ultimately i made the decision to search out and gradually buy the Dragon Boxes on eBay because that's the best available release there is of DBZ at this point, and will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Given how often FUNi has dropped the ball with the releases they've produced themselves, i'm glad at least they got that one right for the most part even with the little flaws. It really sucks that we don't have an average Joe 4:3 release readily available for purchase without the crap faux widescreen and DNR smeared/oversaturated colors.

I'm so glad i went with that option, because i have the one release that at least for the most part keeps the show as is the way it was intended to be seen.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:04 pm

We have the non inferior release called the Dragon Boxes and I own those and realize they are the best at this point. I also own all the Japanese ones so why you think I only buy shit is beyond me. I am a huge collector and this is a collectors item.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:05 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:43 pm 2265 / 3000

Seems to be slowing down a little. I'm sure it'll still reach 3000 (ugh) but I felt it was worth mentioning.
Maybe we'll see the actual remaster after it reaches 3,000? I dunno
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:08 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:04 pm We have the non inferior release called the Dragon Boxes and I own those and realize they are the best at this point. I also own all the Japanese ones so why you think I only buy shit is beyond me. I am a huge collector and this is a collectors item.
I won't read every post. Are you complaining or what's your stance?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:09 am The level of vitriol shown here has gotten past the point of being disturbing, in my mind. I'm in no way saying that you shouldn't be mad about this, because I'm pissed myself. But, shouldn't Dragon Ball be something you're enjoying? If this home release of a show you love is bringing you that much pain, perhaps it's time to take a break or something. This could be a whole derailing rabbit hole, so I'll leave it at that.
I wanna chime in on this and expand on this statement.

I spent years endlessly railing against FUNimation and their practices (sometimes incorrectly, since I was a kid learning about some of the points of contention and their specifics through self study as I went along). At first it was fun, just pointing out the half-assed nature of it all. Then I started to get annoyed at the division in the community that (in my opinion) was underlined by ignorance of the show's original format and all that. It became less of a "Hey guys, I found this out about the shitty compression used on the DVDs" and more of a "For fuck's sake, the remasters look like shit on top of being cropped. Stop supporting them and making them think this is okay." I didn't necessarily feel superior for what I knew, I just boggled at the concept of people buying the sets or supporting them as being good quality. I figured that ignorance was the issue and I spent years arguing to varying degrees, trying to accent things with my goofy sense of humor when I wasn't just being an outright prick, trying to fight the good fight.

It got old. I got burnt out on the franchise in general and probably took a good 3-4 years away from it. I also withdrew from the community because it was to the point where all I really did was log in, counter someone's argument about something, then log out. I remember when DBZ Uncensored shut down, the announcement quoted Duke Nukem's "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of bubblegum." And in retrospect I totally got it. I realized that I was beating a dead horse because, really, the English DB fandom has been fundamentally divided since the English version came along. Every time FUNimation has done something they've further segmented the fanbase. And really, I can't blame the individuals because depending on when you started watching the show your version could be one of the so versions and that's just what you associate with your nostalgia about the show. It just sucks that this community is one of the best I've seen (and I mean of any fandoms I've been part of, whether they're for music or cars or other shows), but that division still exists and seems to increase over time.

In any case, before I ramble everyone to death, my point is the whole thing soured my perspective on the series in general for a bit. Hell the only good thing was that my posts and persistence led to making some good friends such as Mike, Heath, Meri, Lemmy and ConanTheSSJ among others. So yeah, I totally agree that one should be very careful on the amount of negativity they start associating with something they enjoy. You might find yourself hating the things you love in the end. *cue "The More You Know" rainbow*

...oh, but on topic...yeah. I just found out about this yesterday and rolled my eyes. Today I watched a good video on the whole thing AnimeAjay put together and it's pretty much what I expected. FUNi did this recently with Cowboy Bebop, they advertised 3 sets and let people vote with pre-orders. One set won, it took about...4-6 months I think to arrive, and it was pretty lackluster. It was basically the same discs from before, or so I've heard, and the packaging seemed to have some corners cut. I remember I was bummed for a sec because I'm a consumer whore and love Bebop but missed the pre-order window, but when the set came out I eagerly took to Reddit and the like to see how they looked and...immediately felt better. And that was the same advertising. Ultimate Collector's Edition, Anniversary, blah blah blah. I'd love to see FUNi do an amazing set that would become the holy grail that everyone loved (within reason, yes some people won't ever be happy), but I'd also love for David Lee Roth to sound like he did in the early 80's. Both are equally about as likely to happen. :P
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:35 pm
I’m right there with you :). I’ll be 40 years old around the time of Dragon Ball Zs 40th anniversary, and to be completely honest, the interest in watching the series has faded significantly due to the mistreatment it’s gotten since I can remember. I have been, and will always be a fan of hand-drawn animation from the 1990s and early 2000s. The new era of animation makes anime characters look like shiny, squeaky clean, plastic wax dolls (especially the girls with unrealistic sized boobs). It’s just not what it used to be.

Which is really quite sad when you think about it, and ultimately i made the decision to search out and gradually buy the Dragon Boxes on eBay because that's the best available release there is of DBZ at this point, and will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Given how often FUNi has dropped the ball with the releases they've produced themselves, i'm glad at least they got that one right for the most part even with the little flaws. It really sucks that we don't have an average Joe 4:3 release readily available for purchase without the crap faux widescreen and DNR smeared/oversaturated colors.

I'm so glad i went with that option, because i have the one release that at least for the most part keeps the show as is the way it was intended to be seen.
We did however luck out on very nice movie masters on Japan's Amazon and Netflix, which are superior to Toei's HD release. They require minor color tweaks, better audio sync, etc., and they look stunning! Oh, and who could forget about the Bardock special on that Animax TV airing?! Wow! :D Luckily, those can be preserved, however it seems the series not so much.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:50 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 pm Will this charge me right away?
No. If you used a credit card it's just a reserve, and will be charged if/when it reaches 3000 reserves. If you used a debit card, it will show up as a purchase on your account but it's simply that funds will be withheld until the set is officially purchased (once again, after 3000 reserves).
So when we hit 3000 reservations my money will be put back into my account? I went to reserve it and found I had been fully charged right away and I asked FUNimation on Twitter and they said:

"Exactly as Justin said. This is a pre-authorization hold. It will fall off in a few days. (How quickly it will fall off is dependent on your bank.)"

You say it will fall off when 3,000 reservations are hit, FUNimation says it will fall off in a few days depending on my bank. Which is it?

clutchins
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by clutchins » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:43 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:04 pm We have the non inferior release called the Dragon Boxes and I own those and realize they are the best at this point. I also own all the Japanese ones so why you think I only buy shit is beyond me. I am a huge collector and this is a collectors item.
That's the thing though. You're falling for their marketing ploy that makes you THINK it's a collector's item.
Here's what your hard earned $350 gets you:
-video that is zoomed in more than any other 4:3 release, masters come from shitty Season BDs
-"exclusive" figure that is an ugly all-gray version of something you can already buy
-artbook, a.k.a. reprints of covers from BDs that hardcore fans hate
-ugly Black Brick box, no color like the Dragon Boxes or even Rock the Dragon which were both limited releases
-a piece of fucking paper
There is not value here that isn't completely artificial, corporate bullshit.
NC's resident Dragon Ball superfan

Episode Guides: [ DB | DBZ Uncut | DBZ Edited | DBGT | Movies/Specials | Kai ]
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
Original Thread Topic wrote:Did Dragon Ball ever motivate you to exercise?
No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.