Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm Maybe people are hearing the flaws and are not backing it.
That's likely part of it, but I'm guessing it's more that the initial hype for this died down. Funimation hasn't really promoted this beyond the initial social media posts from Friday, so all the momentum from those has tuckered out by now. Maybe we'll see something more from them soon, even if it's just another post saying "Hey, this is still happening".
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:55 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:51 pm
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm Maybe people are hearing the flaws and are not backing it.
That's likely part of it, but I'm guessing it's more that the initial hype for this died down. Funimation hasn't really promoted this beyond the initial social media posts from Friday, so all the momentum from those has tuckered out by now. Maybe we'll see something more from them soon, even if it's just another post saying "Hey, this is still happening".
Maybe they will post additional details this week to help it get those last few reserves. All it will take is a single good looking remastered frame and it would get the orders within a couple hours.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm

The pacing of the backing figures have slowed down considerably.
It will get funded, no doubt, but it will likely take another 4-5 days at this rate.

To be honest, it is disappointing that the picture quality isn't up to level set standard, but it is what it is.
That doesn't mean to say I condone it - I don't. It's lazy, but for me, Z isn't the best way to watch these episodes any more, Kai is.

I think the other 3K (should there be that many preorders) will be available at retail, and Funimation have hosted the funding period.

Don't forget, there is allegedly new on-disc bonus material coming, no idea what it could be, but I would assume recent interviews with cast and directors, Mr. Fukunaga likely too.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 pm

2506/3000

(Just 1 off the actual count!)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:53 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 pm 2506/3000

(Just 1 off the actual count!)
Not too long now till 3k. It's gonna get made regardless of what fans say.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Praying to god that the footage they used in the trailer was not representative of the end product.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:08 pm

DBZimran wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm Praying to god that the footage they used in the trailer was not representative of the end product.
I assume we will see very soon on that, though i'm hoping too that's not the case and the video turns out to be better than what the trailer clips depicted.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:10 pm

DBZimran wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm Praying to god that the footage they used in the trailer was not representative of the end product.
Thats my main problem with it. The footage make it looks like the bluricks and not a bluray. Even if it had DNR (like Batman TAS) its too heavy and makes everything look low resolution. Even with cropping, if they removed the heavy DNR it'd look a lot better

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:10 pm

A grand total of 3 reservations were made in the last hour.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Hope so too but the majority probably think it looks "amazing" with those bright colors and "clean" picture. These people are casual fans (average customers, essentially) which you can find on Amazon, YouTube and standard retail stores.

But let's be realistic, if FUNimation was serious about making a proper remaster they wouldn't just charge $350, at least $500.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Hope so too but the majority probably think it looks "amazing" with those bright colors and "clean" picture. These people are casual fans (average customers, essentially) which you can find on Amazon, YouTube and standard retail stores.

But let's be realistic, if FUNimation was serious about making a proper remaster they wouldn't just charge $350, at least $500.
It makes me wonder just exactly who this release is targeting, is it the part of the fanbase who bought the Orange Bricks and Season BD's? Or is it the more dedicated ones who have been clamoring for another release of the series in 4:3, and who missed out on the Dragon Boxes during their release???
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:10 pm A grand total of 3 reservations were made in the last hour.
Even at 3 an hour, the rest of the 3000 could be reached in a week or so. They still have 27 days. I’d say it’s pretty much a guarantee at this point.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Kinda sucks we get screwed over all the time, Dragon Box Z was the only good completed release other ones were canned during the Saiyan arc, OG, GT and Kai don't have to go through this why do we? Is the team that works on Z really incompetent or just plane lazy?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 pm Kinda sucks we get screwed over all the time, Dragon Box Z was the only good completed release other ones were canned during the Saiyan arc, OG, GT and Kai don't have to go through this why do we? Is the team that works on Z really incompetent or just plane lazy?
I honestly wouldn't know, but it appears so considering that DBZ is the only one that aside from the Dragon Boxes and the sadly tanked Level sets that have had more than one terrible quality release.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm Even at 3 an hour, the rest of the 3000 could be reached in a week or so. They still have 27 days. I’d say it’s pretty much a guarantee at this point.
Oh well, at least more people seem to be aware of the issues now and that info alone might have stopped many of them from buying this and some might even cancel their pre-order. I doubt this will reach the max amount, which is apparently 6000?

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 pm

VDenter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:23 pm
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm Even at 3 an hour, the rest of the 3000 could be reached in a week or so. They still have 27 days. I’d say it’s pretty much a guarantee at this point.
Oh well, at least more people seem to be aware of the issues now and that info alone might have stopped many of them from buying this and some might even cancel their pre-order. I doubt this will reach the max amount, which is apparently 6000?
Funi won't let them cancel from what I heard

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm

This is a long shot but maybe the footage we saw was a mock up from what I remember in the Level set trailer they showed footage from later arcs they never got to.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 pm OG, GT and Kai don't have to go through this why do we? Is the team that works on Z really incompetent or just plane lazy?
I'd argue that Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Kai have made us go through this too, though. The Blue Bricks look ugly to me (complete with DNR), and the zooming is comparable to what we have seen from this "Black Brick" footage. Kai of course is in 16:9 for the Boo arc and just looks bad with that yellow/green tint. Even the 4:3 episodes of Kai are riddled with those awful redrawn scenes.

It's really only GT that feels like a serviceable release. Even then, it's not great. (I'm referring to strictly North American releases in this post)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 pm Kinda sucks we get screwed over all the time, Dragon Box Z was the only good completed release other ones were canned during the Saiyan arc, OG, GT and Kai don't have to go through this why do we? Is the team that works on Z really incompetent or just plane lazy?
I think it's because DB and GT don't sell as well, so FUNi has no motivation to try and drastically, *ahem*, "improve" the footage.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 pm

It makes me wonder just exactly who this release is targeting, is it the part of the fanbase who bought the Orange Bricks and Season BD's? Or is it the more dedicated ones who have been clamoring for another release of the series in 4:3, and who missed out on the Dragon Boxes during their release???
They might be relying on desperate fans who want a 4:3 AR release no matter what. This is guaranteed to happen, just a few hours till it reaches 3,000.
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm
I think it's because DB and GT don't sell as well, so FUNi has no motivation to try and drastically, *ahem*, "improve" the footage.
FUNimation kind of released Dragon Box GT without the actual packaging so we received Dragon Box Z and Dragon Box GT.

The Dragon Ball Saga Sets are better than the Blue Bricks but they're missing OP2/ED2 and the NEPs. 😕 I've only seen OP2 recently and it looks a lot nicer than OP1, can't believe I missed that for so long.