Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:54 pm Meanwhile still no answer from FUNimation Support on my request to cancel my order. If they're really going to force people that changed their minds on this to buy it anyway they're just asking for even more negative PR at a time when they really can't afford more of it.

Because now I'm starting to get pissed off. I should've known better than to chance on this thing.
Call your bank, tell them you purchased a product that turned out to be a scam, and since the transaction hasn’t been completed, you’d like to sign a document to stop payment on a transaction through PayPal. I’ve done it many times and my bank blocked PayPal from withdrawing funds.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 pm
lansing wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 am
superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 am
Is it possible for Funi to do this?
No, the dragon box belongs to Toei, Funimation has no right to alter anything on the product. Just like you can't change the melody of a covered song that you have brought.
What the fuck are you talking about? They can alter anything they want from those masters. They've already altered so many of the other masters they have to hell & back, so this wouldn't be any different.
Funimation only has the rights to alter things that they own, that is anything that was made from their own film masters, not the dragon box. The dragon box was made by Toei.
Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 pm Also, "can't change the melody of a covered song that you have brought"? What does THAT mean? Did you mean "made" not "brought"? If that's what you meant, um, yeah, you definitely CAN change the melody of a song you're making a cover of. The only question is if the new melody fits the lyrics.
If a singer in the US really like a Japanese song and want to bring it to the US market, he has to buy the rights to covers it from the author AND he has no rights to change the melody of the song. That is how copyrights works.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:06 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:59 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:54 pm Meanwhile still no answer from FUNimation Support on my request to cancel my order. If they're really going to force people that changed their minds on this to buy it anyway they're just asking for even more negative PR at a time when they really can't afford more of it.

Because now I'm starting to get pissed off. I should've known better than to chance on this thing.
Call your bank, tell them you purchased reserved a product that ended being a scam, and since the transaction hasn’t completed, you’d like to sign a document to stop payment on a transaction through PayPal. I’ve done it many times and my bank blocked PayPal from withdrawing funds.
Luckily it was done on a credit card (and thank god too, apparently if you did it on a debit card FUNi just straight up took the money and said it was a temporary hold, but I haven't heard of anybody getting it back yet), so I'll be more than happy to just do a chargeback if they're going to be stubborn about it. I want to give them a few more days to at least try and get it done through them, a chargeback should always be the last resort.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:18 pm Amount of :thumbup: / :thumbdown: on FUNimation's DBZ 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release:

Dislikes: 1k

Only 395 orders left for FUNimation to call it a success. :|

EDIT: If the trailer wasn't locked to US but open worldwide I'd say they would've gotten far more dislikes than likes.
I live in the Netherlands and if you search a little bit deeper you come across the Funimation Trailer :)

Only thing that is bothering me is the fact that I can't use the Funimation website.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Anybody else notice that https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/ is down?

:think:

EDIT - Never mind, looks like the whole website isn't working properly at the moment.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 pm Anybody else notice that https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/ is down?

EDIT - Never mind, looks like the whole website isn't working properly at the moment.
Site is working properly on my end.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 pm Anybody else notice that https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/ is down?

Site is working properly on my end.
Yeah, that was a brief interruption, doesn’t mean anything after all. The counter does seem to be inching upward at a far slower pace now, though.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 pm

I know it says "artwork" isn't final but why do the discs have season numbers on them?

Are they using the orange brick season numbers...?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm

bernhard90 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:17 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:18 pm Amount of :thumbup: / :thumbdown: on FUNimation's DBZ 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release:

Dislikes: 1k

Only 395 orders left for FUNimation to call it a success. :|

EDIT: If the trailer wasn't locked to US but open worldwide I'd say they would've gotten far more dislikes than likes.
I live in the Netherlands and if you search a little bit deeper you come across the Funimation Trailer :)

Only thing that is bothering me is the fact that I can't use the Funimation website.
VPN? That's one way to bypass or download it.
KillerCory wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 pm I know it says "artwork" isn't final but why do the discs have season numbers on them?

Are they using the orange brick season numbers...?
Artwork isn't final so whomever made it had "Seasons" in mind.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Well, THIS is a pleasant surprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrP640 ... ploademail
Clearly, they sourced some of the level footage & probably some other footage, but at least it's BETETR than the original trailer & actually instills confidence.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 pm

lansing wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 pm Funimation only has the rights to alter things that they own, that is anything that was made from their own film masters, not the dragon box. The dragon box was made by Toei.

If a singer in the US really like a Japanese song and want to bring it to the US market, he has to buy the rights to covers it from the author AND he has no rights to change the melody of the song. That is how copyrights works.
Licensing agreements just mean that you can distribute the materials in another country for a company. You can do whatever you want with the material as long as there's no section that says you HAVE to keep everything the same. The majority of anime production companies don't give a fuck what the licensing companies do with their product as long as it makes money, which is how we get shit like the 4Kids dub of One Piece, where Toei went out of their way to approve ALL of the visual & script changes they did to the show. Sure, it came back to bite them in the ass, but it was their own fault. THEY wanted the One Piece anime to be so successful that they licensed it to a 3rd-rate dubbing company who had absolutely NO right dubbing a series like One Piece, nor did they actually even want it, & were even FORCED to dub it until they could legally drop the license to it. It wasn't until FUNi dubbed it uncut & with the respect it deserved that it could gain a foothold in the US market, but it's not the smash hit Toei wanted it to be because they fucked it up so badly the first time.
As far as I know, the only thing Toei has in their licensing contracts for Dragon Ball is that the material MUST be shown on TV & all preceding material for the shows MUST'VE been licensed & shown on TV before the dubbing companies they licensed the shows to can release them on home media, which is why it took so long to get a dub of Super & they didn't release Kai: TFC till March 2017 3 months AFTER it started airing on Toonami, even though they finished dubbing it some time in 2014/15. Not only that, but your argument makes no sense on the masters FUNi has. The 3rd gen film masters they have of Z that they use for literally every other release than the Dragon Boxes are owned by Toei as well. It's just what they gave them to use. If FUNi wanted to, they could've color-corrected the Dragon Box footage before releasing the DVDs, but they elected to keep it the same because it was aimed at a more hardcore audience & they probably spent a LOT of money on getting the masters, so they didn't wanna delay it any further or spend more money on them than they already spent. On top of that, we don't know if Toei sent them the film itself or just the video files they programmed their 2003 DVDs with, so who really knows other than them.

The only other company to explicitly say they don't want anything altered for overseas releases of films is Studio Ghibli, since they hated some of the earlier English dubs of some of their films that cut out of them & had really badly-translated dubs, so they specifically told Disney "No cuts" & sent them a Katana to show they were serious, or so goes the story. In most other cases, it's totally up to the dubbing company what to keep in the material as they get it.

When it comes to a cover, it depends on the people who made the song & the record label. Most people are cool with changes if it's in another style as long as it sounds good to them. However, when it comes to Japanese artists, they may refuse the right for people to do covers of their songs if they're used in media. Obviously, since the singer of the first DBS theme song produced his own English version of the song, he'd want IT being used over it being covered. Then the second opening's original artist most likely didn't have a problem with it being rewritten & covered in English. If your argument held weight, then the translated lyrics would also be more closer to the original Japanese ones as well, but they're not, now are they? It also has to do with exposure of the Japanese artists. How many people would know of Asian Kung-Fu Generation if their original songs weren't retained in Naruto or Fullmetal Alchemist, or of Flow if their song wasn't in Naruto, & the like? That can also be a factor. We'll never really know. Hell, covers are covered under applicable fair use laws & are done all the time, so it's not like this is a new thing to cover a song in a different style.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 pm Well, THIS is a pleasant surprise.
Clearly, they sourced some of the level footage & probably some other footage, but at least it's BETETR than the original trailer & actually instills confidence.
Now thats more like it. I watched on my phone so cant get a proper sense of quality,can someone comment on how it compares to level sets?
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Very promising indeed. Hopefully they gave us accurate comparisons, and someone can show us screenshot comparisons to all previous releases, like the Dragon Boxes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Does this new footage actually look any better than in the first video, or is my brain just tricking me into thinking it does because I want it to?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Kaboom wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm Does this new footage actually look any better than in the first video, or is my brain just tricking me into thinking it does because I want it to?
The colors certainly appear better, but I'm waiting on our expert image comparison people to chime in.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm

The image still looks flat. This certainly does't compare to the Level Sets.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm

And here's the blog post they linked in the description of that video.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Kaboom wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm Does this new footage actually look any better than in the first video, or is my brain just tricking me into thinking it does because I want it to?
It looks legitimately better. Glad to see they're taking the criticism well & they recut the trailer to have it better than it was. Obviously, they realized where they fucked up & realized that people were going to be as critical as possible. I think they really underestimated how many Dragon Ball fans were videophiles & how restless most of us are with their shitty releases dating back around 12 years now. I knew they spliced footage together from multiple sources. Looks like my suspicions that they carelessly threw the original trailer together with uncropped Season set footage just with the brightness turned down a bit so it wasn't as bad. Definitely preordering this if it gets listed on Amazon after the reservation period ends.

THIS is how you do this shit right.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 pm

VDenter wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm The image still looks flat. This certainly does't compare to the Level Sets.
Really? Thats a bummer, is the image still zoomed or is it proper 4:3?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Still looks like shit but it's weird they randomly throw in Level Set clips.