Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:40 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm Raw film scan:
Funimation's remaster:
Quick and dirty edit that crops the raw scan into 4:3 without overdoing it:
Don't know why this particular episode seems to be cropped so much since Funimation is saying they did this manually. The episode 100 and 185 screenshots they posted look fine as far as framing goes. It's just episode 1 that's really zoomed in for some reason.

I'm not sure that's fair. There's probably some big tape marks a few seconds later that we're missing. Also, why didn't you edit the full HD pics Funi had up?
Last edited by Danfun64 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 pm

From Twitter, this is apparently from FUNi's Discord server, to my understanding "Timm" is a FUNi rep:

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:43 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 pm From Twitter, this is apparently from FUNi's Discord server, to my understanding "Timm" is a FUNi rep:
A FUNi rep, yes, but they're not involved with the remaster in any way. They were getting a ton of backlash after that comment and responded with the image below. They changed their username by that point but it is most definitely the same person. They have no real bearing on this release. Though it is sad to read that viewpoint:

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 pm

How do you get into Funimation’s discord server?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:43 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 pm From Twitter, this is apparently from FUNi's Discord server, to my understanding "Timm" is a FUNi rep:
A FUNi rep, yes, but they're not involved with the remaster in any way. They were getting a ton of backlash after that comment and responded with the image below. They changed their username by that point but it is most definitely the same person. They have no real bearing on this release. Though it is sad to read that viewpoint:
Oh, believe me, I'm not under any delusions that this person or any of the reps are the people making the remasters, but it's worth noting given that we have to go through them for our grievances to reach the people who would make decisions on this matter, and if the complaints are falling on deaf ears on their end, there's a lesser chance that they'll pass them on. That said, I do hope people are at least being respectful.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Regardless if they're the ones doing the remaster or not, if they don't want to take heat for it perhaps they shouldn't be getting involved in the conversation to begin with. That only makes things worse.

As for the set itself, I've mentioned it before but this whole situation is just so unfortunate. Dragon Ball truly is the Star Wars of anime in that it's so popular and worth so much money that they people in charge of it's distribution are beside themselves and don't know what to do. If this were almost any other anime series no one would have thought to crop it to 16:9 in the first place because who would want to waste all of that money modifying a series in a manner that literally no one asked for? Nothing about this is normal. The worst part is that unless you own the Dragon Boxes, this is your only option for 4:3.

I really wish Toei would invest in a remaster that would satisfy fans of the series as it was, but I'm pretty sure they're content with Kai and don't want to bother with the original versions of the show anymore. Hell, they don't even seem interested in the original Dragon Ball series either. But hey, this is where fans usually step up and deliver what they know other like-minded individuals want.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 pm
Oh, believe me, I'm not under any delusions that this person or any of the reps are the people making the remasters, but it's worth noting given that we have to go through them for our grievances to reach the people who would make decisions on this matter, and if the complaints are falling on deaf ears on their end, there's a lesser chance that they'll pass them on. That said, I do hope people are at least being respectful.
I talked briefly with this specific person. They were the one that told me and a few others to use funimation.com/support and to be as specific as possible with our complaints. So, I don't know I guess that's something.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Gligarman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm
Regardless if they're the ones doing the remaster or not, if they don't want to take heat for it perhaps they shouldn't be getting involved in the conversation to begin with. That only makes things worse.

As for the set itself, I've mentioned it before but this whole situation is just so unfortunate. Dragon Ball truly is the Star Wars of anime in that it's so popular and worth so much money that they people in charge of it's distribution are beside themselves and don't know what to do. If this were almost any other anime series no one would have thought to crop it to 16:9 in the first place because who would want to waste all of that money modifying a series in a manner that literally no one asked for? Nothing about this is normal. The worst part is that unless you own the Dragon Boxes, this is your only option for 4:3.

I really wish Toei would invest in a remaster that would satisfy fans of the series as it was, but I'm pretty sure they're content with Kai and don't want to bother with the original versions of the show anymore. Hell, they don't even seem interested in the original Dragon Ball series either. But hey, this is where fans usually step up and deliver what they know other like-minded individuals want.
TOEI also DNRed/censored the movies and didnt color correct them. So we have to consider TOEI just as bad, if not worse than FUNi

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm

At this point I'm just going to pray for the Selecta Vision remaster and mux the Broadcast Audio over that footage, if it turns out well.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

TOEI also DNRed/censored the movies and didnt color correct them. So we have to consider TOEI just as bad, if not worse than FUNi
I would say hands down the definitive version of the 17 movies are from Toei’s Amazon/Netflix stream with laser disc audio/Toei’s blu-ray audio synced with minor color correction. The official Toei blu-rays suck ass and are nowhere as nice.

I’ve already remastered all of DBZ broadcast audio from my raw files, so at this point I’m waiting for a definitive version of DBZ.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm

I just wish this wasn't so difficult. We need a Star Wars Despecialized equivalent at this point.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

I would say hands down the definitive version of the 17 movies are from Toei’s Amazon/Netflix stream with laser disc audio/Toei’s blu-ray audio synced with minor color correction. The official Toei blu-rays suck ass and are nowhere as nice.

I’ve already remastered all of DBZ broadcast audio from my raw files, so at this point I’m waiting for a definitive version of DBZ.
Remember the optimism in the fandom when the first shots of the Amazon footage were uploaded? Seems like an age ago, now.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm

I've got a bad feeling about mentioning that discord and everyone jumping on it now lol. i hope everyones good in there!

reading that blog post has never made me happier. it means so much to me when a company is open with whats going on and doesnt leave us in the dark, its all I've wanted since day one. I've ordered a copy just because of that. it might not turn out exactly how i want it but i know they are trying to do their best and I'm sure they will only do things if they have to now. and they intend to make this the be all and end all of releases for us! (please have rock the dragon intro, because, you know, the original 4:3 aspect ratio with the original intro!)

so back to the topic. can anyone show comparisons of the 30th crop with dragon boxes and level sets? we should at least get that amount of picture right?

lol it would be super cool to release those raw film scans! but in dvd format, no need to get fancy with them.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Gligarman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm I just wish this wasn't so difficult. We need a Star Wars Despecialized equivalent at this point.
No we can't. They have fans that actually owns the Star Wars film roll to do the despecialized version.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Gligarman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm I just wish this wasn't so difficult. We need a Star Wars Despecialized equivalent at this point.
Well, Despecialized is just an edit of the existing Blu-Ray masters. What would be closer to what I think you're suggesting is 4K77/4K80/4K83, where fans acquired film prints and restored them. That was a monumental effort for just 3 movies, doing it for a 291-episode series would be...quite the undertaking to say the least.

pjay
Beyond Newbie

Post by pjay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Off the topic I know but many pages ago someone mentioned excessive DNR on Batman TAS. I'm assuming by extension that goes for the movies as well. Because I remember getting my Mask of the Phantasm blu ray and thinking it looked quite blurry. But I could never tell whether that intentional because of the noir style or something else.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 pm
Well, Despecialized is just an edit of the existing Blu-Ray masters. What would be closer to what I think you're suggesting is 4K77/4K80/4K83, where fans acquired film prints and restored them. That was a monumental effort for just 3 movies, doing it for a 291-episode series would be...quite the undertaking to say the least.
Never said it would be easy, but it'd be nice.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm

bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm (please have rock the dragon intro, because, you know, the original 4:3 aspect ratio with the original intro!)
Hell no, fuck that stupid song, it was terrible.
bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm so back to the topic. can anyone show comparisons of the 30th crop with dragon boxes and level sets? we should at least get that amount of picture right?

lol it would be super cool to release those raw film scans! but in dvd format, no need to get fancy with them.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43623&start=2380#p1594745

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:44 pm

bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm so back to the topic. can anyone show comparisons of the 30th crop with dragon boxes and level sets? we should at least get that amount of picture right?
Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am
Here's a comparison I did between raw footage, the Black Brick, and the Japanese Dragon Box Z. Other than episode 1, what we have seen so far as regards zoom is very similar to the Dragon Box. Often times there is the same amount of picture, but sometimes it's more.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:44 pm Here's a comparison I did between raw footage, the Black Brick, and the Japanese Dragon Box Z. Other than episode 1, what we have seen so far as regards zoom is very similar to the Dragon Box. Often times there is the same amount of picture, but sometimes it's more.
ok I'm sold!
lansing wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm
bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm (please have rock the dragon intro, because, you know, the original 4:3 aspect ratio with the original intro!)
Hell no, fuck that stupid song, it was terrible.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43623&start=2380#p1594745
but but but what else do you sing when you want to sing dragon ball? other than dan dan.... or if youre cool enough... STEP INTO THE GRAND TOUR *GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR*

yeah I'm happy with the cropping, I'm sold and happy i bought. ill leave the rest of the stuff up to you guys as I've got no idea and I'm sure its not gonna turn out like the current blu rays. WOOT WOOT