Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm

pjay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 pm Off the topic I know but many pages ago someone mentioned excessive DNR on Batman TAS. I'm assuming by extension that goes for the movies as well. Because I remember getting my Mask of the Phantasm blu ray and thinking it looked quite blurry. But I could never tell whether that intentional because of the noir style or something else.
Mask of the Phantasm did have some out of focus shots that the bluray really highlighted. But here is a shot from the Bluray set. I have it. but I also have my DVDs which are closer to the original broadcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7VbERbDYg

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Jesus, telling complaining fans that they don't know what they're talking about and being combative is the worst possible course of action, especially since Funi already proved with the Level sets that a competent release with those masters is possible.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Ajay made a very good follow-up video!

https://youtu.be/6QZDHVwpHZo

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm

bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 pm
lansing wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm
bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm (please have rock the dragon intro, because, you know, the original 4:3 aspect ratio with the original intro!)
Hell no, fuck that stupid song, it was terrible.
bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm so back to the topic. can anyone show comparisons of the 30th crop with dragon boxes and level sets? we should at least get that amount of picture right?

lol it would be super cool to release those raw film scans! but in dvd format, no need to get fancy with them.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43623&start=2380#p1594745
but but but what else do you sing when you want to sing dragon ball? other than dan dan.... or if youre cool enough... STEP INTO THE GRAND TOUR *GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR*
The Japanese one.
bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 pm yeah I'm happy with the cropping, I'm sold and happy i bought. ill leave the rest of the stuff up to you guys as I've got no idea and I'm sure its not gonna turn out like the current blu rays. WOOT WOOT
Not yet, right now it is still shitty with the DNR and red tint, until then it is still a shitty release.

And I don't believe their crap of the 3000 limited thing, as they already made the whole thing, they can print as much as they wanted. This was just their test of water to see how many people actually wanted it to make sure they make sure they don't lose money, they will print more if the demand is high. So don't go like "oh I need to get it until they goes out", no, don't settle until you get the best quality.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Why is there a "Timm" with an avatar of a chick? If that's not bad enough, he and another CS were pretty disrespectful towards fan feedback.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Funimation has made this a disaster from the rep calling us fake fans to the blog post saying we don't know what we're talking about I've lost all hope that we'll ever get a good release.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm

lansing wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm Not yet, right now it is still shitty with the DNR and red tint, until then it is still a shitty release.

And I don't believe their crap of the 3000 limited thing, as they already made the whole thing, they can print as much as they wanted. This was just their test of water to see how many people actually wanted it to make sure they make sure they don't lose money, they will print more if the demand is high. So don't go like "oh I need to get it until they goes out", no, don't settle until you get the best quality.
Na, thats a big no no and I don't think they would cross that line. 6000 is the limit. But hey they could bring out a regular release (not a collector's edition) which I don't care if they do. It's the anniversary edition that's limited, the actual footage being sold isn't limited to any number.

I'm a crazy collector so I want this version lol

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:28 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:47 pm Ajay made a very good follow-up video!

He is spot on correct. If the set releases in November, there is plenty of time to have adjustments made. It seems like most people want the colors untouched and their version of DNR to be gone.

If people make enough noise, there is a chance to "salvage" the situation... even if it means a small delay from November to December (or something similar).

People need to pester FUNI about it then.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:23 pm Funimation has made this a disaster from the rep calling us fake fans to the blog post saying we don't know what we're talking about I've lost all hope that we'll ever get a good release.
I mean, i have exerted quite a bit of effort and money buying the Dragon Boxes off eBay in spite of their botching of one release after another for years now. I think that speaks for itself in terms of just who and where i stand as a fan of this series, that i care enough to go out of my way to hunt down the good quality out of print release instead of giving them a single red cent for all the garbage DNR'd to hell, faux widescreen releases which they've been pumping out since 2007 (aside from the Level sets, rest their souls) so that's pretty low of them to say something like that about the many dedicated fans who frequent these forums and the website itself at large, the fans who just want an actually decent release of the series in it's original aspect ratio in high definition.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:38 pm

bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pmIt's the anniversary edition that's limited, the actual footage being sold isn't limited to any number.
Given how the Dragon Boxes went, I wouldn't be shocked if this was the only time we saw whatever footage ends up in this release, whether that be what they're showing us now or the untouched footage if we end up convincing them.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:41 pm

I would really appreciate it if you consider reevaluating your process for this special limited edition set. While i am overall satisfied with the cropping method you have provided and am glad you are releasing this in 4:3, I really think this set needs to be a set that celebrates the series age as well. The heavy DNR to remove the grain is causing detrimental effects to the image. I would much rather you stick with the raw scans like you showed in your blog post grain and all. Those shots looked absolutely gorgeous and would be a fitting tribute to such an iconic series. I appreciate you taking time to read this email and hope you consider mine as well as other fans feedback. This would also be beneficial for your company as i know lots of fans would prefer the set with the grain and without the DNR. I can almost guarantee that if you take into account the suggested fans feedback and take the corrective measures, that this set will set out within a few hours 😉.

Thank You

PS I have purchased all your dragon ball releases so far and am looking forward to this stellar set :D

Is this a good email?

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:41 pm I would really appreciate it if you consider reevaluating your process for this special limited edition set. While i am overall satisfied with the cropping method you have provided and am glad you are releasing this in 4:3, I really think this set needs to be a set that celebrates the series age as well. The heavy DNR to remove the grain is causing detrimental effects to the image. I would much rather you stick with the raw scans like you showed in your blog post grain and all. Those shots looked absolutely gorgeous and would be a fitting tribute to such an iconic series. I appreciate you taking time to read this email and hope you consider mine as well as other fans feedback. This would also be beneficial for your company as i know lots of fans would prefer the set with the grain and without the DNR. I can almost guarantee that if you take into account the suggested fans feedback and take the corrective measures, that this set will set out within a few hours 😉.

Thank You

PS I have purchased all your dragon ball releases so far and am looking forward to this stellar set :D

Is this a good email?
(Sell* out within a few hours) but yeah I feel like we should all send in similar messages. That's the right way to approach it. Ajay is 100% right in his videos but he's being nasty to funi (deserved but won't go a long way to earn their ear).
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:47 pm Ajay made a very good follow-up video!

Incredibly well done. Says exactly what we all want to say better than any of us could say it. Going to tweet this to them immediately. This should be played in every board room to every executive at Funimation.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:53 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:38 pm
bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pmIt's the anniversary edition that's limited, the actual footage being sold isn't limited to any number.
Given how the Dragon Boxes went, I wouldn't be shocked if this was the only time we saw whatever footage ends up in this release, whether that be what they're showing us now or the untouched footage if we end up convincing them.
not to mention they are clearly not even using the level sets for this release, so each bluray set has had a different "new" masters made for their respective release. It's FUNimation...so take that as you will.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Get anyone with any social media clout you know to talk about this. Get the voices of the hardcore fandom heard.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:00 pm

I think it would be best if we all respectfully tagged @Funimation on Twitter and respectfully voiced our criticisms about our issues with this blu-ray set.

It would also be beneficial to also respectfully release our criticisms about our issues with the set here:
https://www.funimation.com/contact-us/# ... upportForm

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:00 pm

bigray wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 pm yeah I'm happy with the cropping, I'm sold and happy i bought. ill leave the rest of the stuff up to you guys as I've got no idea and I'm sure its not gonna turn out like the current blu rays. WOOT WOOT
The zoomed-in footage isn’t the main thing you should be concerned about over this release. Being happy with the zoom isn’t a reason to buy this. The MAIN problem is the crusht whites, the over-saturation, and most of all...the blurring to remove grain.

It most certainly WILL turn out to be like the current Blu-ray Discs since it’s the same remaster. They’re just altering it further to hide that fact. And even if this WAS to be a new remaster, Funimation would only have the first episode finished, for advertizement. They wouldn’t remaster the whole 291 episodes only to “only release it if it reaches 3,000 preorders”. Everything you’ve seen past episode one would be a fabrication created to trick us.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Well I've sent my email politely explaining why their DVNR sucks and how it's important to not remove the detail. If we win this battle our next mission is to get OG DB and GT on Blu :lol:
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:18 pm

192 pre-orders left and then it reaches the goal. This is kind of the most entertaining thing given how shitty the remaster looks. :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:18 pm 192 pre-orders left and then it reaches the goal. This is kind of the most entertaining thing given how shitty the remaster looks. :lol:
But then of course you also have those who don't really care that much about the quality of the video, so they'll still reserve it and pay because they just want the series in one package.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)