Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Except those people should be buying the Blu Rays for way less and get the entire series anyway. I don't know how one could purport to be such a hardcore fan of the series that they'd also be complacent in purchasing a release that butchers the series this much.

Anyway I want to tell everyone to not stop. I think the release coming in November means they think they have enough time until it happens that we'll forget about this. I will not forget. You all should not forget either.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm

I’ve actually seen people say they have bought multiple copies to scalp. The whole way this release is being handled is a joke.

Instead of a celebration it feels like getting coal for Christmas.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm I’ve actually seen people say they have bought multiple copies to scalp. The whole way this release is being handled is a joke.

Not surprised. You can add up to 5 copies to the basket if you'd want.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Fuck those types of people. This set most likely not have the value the DBox has. I can see it lose value over time.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm I’ve actually seen people say they have bought multiple copies to scalp.
That might be the worst part of all this to me, because there's few things I hate more than scalping online.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pm
KillerCory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 pm
Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:20 pm
I have all of those things. Account and username both. I'm trying to make a new account under a new email now that I now the comment section works, but it's now not letting me make a username. Their site seems kind of buggy, for me anyway. Oh, and I'm using Chrome too.

I like the comment you wrote.
Thanks! I tried to be polite but also get the point across.
I also had username issues, then it just magically worked after trying a few times..
I used something other than Chrome and now it worked. My comment is awaiting moderation now too. My post wasn't as well worded as yours I don't think (partly because I was trying to avoid making a carbon copy of yours) but I think it was as polite and respectful. Even if moderation doesn't let it go through, at least somebody will see it.

EDIT: Pre-orders shot up to 2771 as of 11:00.
Well, it looks like they posted the comments on the blog post. Maybe it (along with other ways) can help sway them:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:53 pm

At this point would Funimation be able to just put out the set regardless of it reaching their goal of 3k pre-orders?
Sometimes when you have a campaign like this and it seems like it will fail to reach its goal, you could just have a sudden spike of backers to say that the project was successful.
Things like some Kickstarters that were going to miss their goal suddenly getting "money from investors."

Also, are they keeping track of the number correctly?
We assume that they are, but there is no evidence that they would not count orders that were asked to be refunded.

I don't want to be the one paranoid guy saying that Funimation is going to mess with the numbers, but there is nothing really stopping them from doing so and just cashing in on the money of the current pre-orders.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:12 pm

If this release does end badly the scalpers will be stuck with a worthless box set to me that'll make up for a bad release.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 pm

I have the UUE and all the Singles from Ginyu Assault to the end of Z plus all the orange bricks if anyone wants me to post screens to compare with.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 pm

KillerCory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pm
KillerCory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks! I tried to be polite but also get the point across.
I also had username issues, then it just magically worked after trying a few times..
I used something other than Chrome and now it worked. My comment is awaiting moderation now too. My post wasn't as well worded as yours I don't think (partly because I was trying to avoid making a carbon copy of yours) but I think it was as polite and respectful. Even if moderation doesn't let it go through, at least somebody will see it.

EDIT: Pre-orders shot up to 2771 as of 11:00.
Well, it looks like they posted the comments on the blog post. Maybe it (along with other ways) can help sway them:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/
That's great! There are a good chunk of comments on there, and all that are talking about the image quality seem respectful. Let's keep it going!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Is anyone else completely unable to comment? It's telling me to create a username for myself but every single thing I put in is considered "already taken", even just mashing keys.

This is frustrating because I can't actually give them the feedback they so need. I can't even tell off this piece of fuckin propaganda. Like dude. You JUST said we were asking for proper colors and no DNR. They have given us the wrong colors and INCREDIBLY HEAVY DNR. How do you not know why we're complaining?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 pm Is anyone else completely unable to comment? It's telling me to create a username for myself but every single thing I put in is considered "already taken", even just mashing keys.

This is frustrating because I can't actually give them the feedback they so need. I can't even tell off this piece of fuckin propaganda. Like dude. You JUST said we were asking for proper colors and no DNR. They have given us the wrong colors and INCREDIBLY HEAVY DNR. How do you not know why we're complaining?
It wasn't accepting comments from my existing account (it finally did), but yeah I tried making a new account and had your same issue. Try using a different browser.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:28 pm
Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 pm Is anyone else completely unable to comment? It's telling me to create a username for myself but every single thing I put in is considered "already taken", even just mashing keys.

It wasn't accepting comments from my existing account (it finally did), but yeah I tried making a new account and had your same issue. Try using a different browser.
Maybe they're watching us and i.p. banned all of us.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Firefox gives me the same thing, I even booted up internet explorer and Funimation's site doesn't even load.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm Firefox gives me the same thing, I even booted up internet explorer and Funimation's site doesn't even load.
Yeah, their site is not very good. I've used it occasionally for streaming and the shop and it's just awful sometimes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm

The Jackal wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 pm
The Jackal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm I mean, why is this 4:3 boxset even a premium release? It's how the series was originally released, and should be the default. 16:9 widescreen and cranked up DNR? Who asked for that? No one. :crazy: And yet, they're still doing doing the 'Orange Box' treatment to a "premium" release?
It's a Premium Release because it's for the 30th Anniversary, silly. It's right there on the side of the box!
Not sure if sarcastic or not. :think:
Honestly it's been so long since I made that post I can scarcely remember myself.
SqueakyBoots wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm AnimeAjay's video telling people why they shouldn't buy the blu-ray has considerably more views than the official trailer Funi posted. That does not look good for Funi.
Not to downplay Ajay, but Funi's trailer is limited to only the US, which considerably cuts down on the amount of people who could watch it.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 pm Why is there a "Timm" with an avatar of a chick? If that's not bad enough, he and another CS were pretty disrespectful towards fan feedback.
That's being pretty assumptive there, dude. It could easily be her last name.
Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm I’ve actually seen people say they have bought multiple copies to scalp. The whole way this release is being handled is a joke.

Why do you think I call them Black Bricks? :wink:
Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm Firefox gives me the same thing, I even booted up internet explorer and Funimation's site doesn't even load.
Wow, broken clock's right twice a day!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Uh, no? Broken clock is missing both hands and tells me I'm not a real fan for asking it to not smear away the grain. It's been wrong every hour since this started.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm

@ KB

There was also another with the same avatar so.. eh?

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm Why do you think I call them Black Bricks? :wink:
Why do people keep thinking brick is an insult it is the name of that type of packaging.

funrush

Post by funrush » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm

I've spent the day kinda mulling the new footage over, and here's my thoughts. This release isn't objectively bad like the Orange Bricks and the Season Blurays, but it does seem lazy.

It's clear to me that Funi has a goal in mind with this release. They want it to look bright, vibrant, and remove the grain so that it looks clear, modern, kinda like cels. An HD version of how we remember the show looking when we watched it on TV. They may have had some complaints about grain on the Levels influencing this decision. They also want to do it as inexpensively as possible, which is probably why some zooms seem excessive. They might be zooming in too much when there's excessive damage to the film near the borders, so they don't have to spend time/money fixing it.

For the most part, it seems like they've succeeded in their goal. The colors look nice (although maybe slightly too red?) the framing is generally good (except for Episode 1 for some reason), and the image is just generally clean. To me, this looks slightly better than the Dragon Boxes. If it comes with the title cards and NEPs, this is definitely a contender for being considered the current definitive release.

However, it's not perfect, not really befitting a Collector's Edition. The lineart is smudged/oily, there's background detail missing. I'm just some guy on the internet, but it's probably possible they could've minimized the lineart smudging. I'd imagine there's a good middle ground between "grainy" and "missing significant detail", unless this master is just so fucked up that the middle ground doesn't exist.

I think outcry would be minimal if they had just continued with the Levels. The fanbase was pretty much in agreement that those looked good, and I'm sure if that "clean" look Funi is going for had as big of a demand as they think, they could hit it with the DNR machine and release it a second time, or fans could just make it themselves.

I wonder how this remaster would've looked if they had Toei's masters or even just 2nd generation copies. Or if Toei did it themselves. Was their tweet just a promotion? It seems like they had 0 involvement in this release.