Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am

This is the new company of Steve Franko, who was in charge of the level set mastering process.
I have reached out to him, to ask if he was contacted, I doubt they bothered, especially if they intended on doing it themselves for cheap.

https://frankocolor.com/contact/

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am

Hopefully there are enough of us who care enough that this will do something.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 am

I sent them an email as well letting them know that as someone that has an order for the set, I'd be fine with if not completely ecstatic if they did an about-face on the remastering process and to thank them for listening to the concerns of the Dragon Ball fan community. I didn't want them to think that by changing the way it looks, they'll be angering or disappointing people that have an order, because they won't be.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:41 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:59 am Word from the community manager of Funimation, via Discord:

Best way to voice your dissatisfaction is to email Funi using either the contact form, or for non-USAers, the help email at help@funimation.com. Tweets, etc. will just go to him or another member of the community management team, who can do nothing, meanwhile help emails will go to the care team, who will pass it on to people who can do something. He suggests using the "Product concerns" category for the help form.

So, get those emails flowing!! You all know what to do! :D
And remember, keep it civil, and be specific! :)

(And also, spread the word!)

Doing this might save the day.
coola wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am Yeah..at this poit, it is best to wait for fanmade editions with broadcast audio included, it might be grey area, but, if you already own whole series in more than one format, i'd say its not too bad :)
Don't give up! Contact Funimation through this!
I sent an email. Fan "remaster" but always be a thing even if this bluray his it out of the park because there is such little chance to get the broadcast audio out. But I'm gonna try anyway. plus there is still no guarantee of this having NEP and Japanese title cards (which I have also by now accepted as default since FUNimation does not do alternate angles. Tho the 08th MS team blurays kept the Japanese title cards and it killed me a little on the inside because I was so used to seeing the english ones.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am

I sent 2 emails (the first one I accidentally chose the wrong category, even though that probably doesn't matter), posted a comment on the blog post, tweeted several times, posted a few things on the Discord, and commented on the latest YouTube video. I have also tried to spread the word on Twitter and on Ajay's latest video about contacting through FUNimation Support as well as on social media. Am I missing anything? Or at this point is the next step just a road trip to Texas?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 am

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am I sent 2 emails (the first one I accidentally chose the wrong category, even though that probably doesn't matter), posted a comment on the blog post, tweeted several times, posted a few things on the Discord, and commented on the latest YouTube video. I have also tried to spread the word on Twitter and on Ajay's latest video about contacting through FUNimation Support as well as on social media. Am I missing anything? Or at this point is the next step just a road trip to Texas?
we should all chip in and make a "replcia" of the 30th set and send it to FUNi and when they open the bluray booklets it's filled with level 1.1 and 1.2 discs :lol:

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:51 am

2895/3000 as of about an hour ago. Just 105 to go. This could be done by the end of the day.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 am

Great, guys! Keep sending Funimation emails! Little by little we'll make our genki dama large enough to have an impact!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 am Great, guys! Keep sending Funimation emails! Little by little we'll make our genki dama large enough to have an impact!
Ha, that's a good analogy. If this works, we can look back on it as the great Genki Dama of 2019.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am

Not sure what to email them without sounding like a dick. We need to make our strongest complaints similar so funi takes notice. I just want the level sets to be finished and reprinted :( .
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

DragonBallKing wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am Not sure what to email them without sounding like a dick. We need to make our strongest complaints similar so funi takes notice. I just want the level sets to be finished and reprinted :( .
Strong complaints=/=being disrespectful. I quoted KillerCory below. His message is a good template for what to say.
KillerCory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 pm This is what I posted:
Thank you for posting this additional information. It is a very positive thing that you are seeing fan feedback and responding.

I understand your reasons for the required cropping to keep a constant 4:3 aspect ratio and appreciate the details.

However, something many of us do not understand is why you would apply so much noise reduction to the film. In the comparison screenshots you provided you can see that a lot of details and natural colors of the original picture are lost.

I know many fans (myself included) would pre-order this set immediately if DNR was not used in this release.

Thank you,
Dorgann (DB Fan since 1997)
----------------------------------------

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:25 am

DragonBallKing wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am Not sure what to email them without sounding like a dick. We need to make our strongest complaints similar so funi takes notice. I just want the level sets to be finished and reprinted :( .
I brought up how the level sets were a stellar release (and it something they did) and how I felt they were in the right direction by going back to 4:3 but with some tweaking (grain and less saturation) it could be a stellar release. I also mentioned how whenever I read up about the set, all people are talking about is how they'd like to see grain in this release.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:53 am

I got my support email in last night. It's nice that we finally have somewhere that seems like it could make a difference.

I'm seeing some stuff here about that Discord mod Timm which I think is going too far. Timm (who might actually be a he, not a she... their non-alias Discord username is Timothy, other users there call them Timothy, and taking a better look at their profile pic to me looks like it could be a man with makeup... but that's not really important) was apparently voicing their own personal opinion as a fan, as they're just a community manager at Funimation, or something like that. It was a bit confusing, and I'm not too familiar with how Discord communities work. Needless to say, shitting on someone who amounts to a customer service rep, even if they said something stupid, is not helpful. I will point out that Timm was the one to point us in the direction of the contact form, so perhaps they're not all bad.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:53 am

What I put:
I would really appreciate it if you consider reevaluating your process for this special limited edition set. While i am overall satisfied with the cropping method you have provided and am glad you are releasing this in 4:3, I really think this set needs to be a set that celebrates the series age as well. The heavy DNR to remove the grain is causing detrimental effects to the image. I would much rather you stick with the raw scans like you showed in your blog post grain and all. Those shots looked absolutely gorgeous and would be a fitting tribute to such an iconic series. I appreciate you taking time to read this email and hope you consider mine as well as other fans feedback. This would also be beneficial for your company as i know lots of fans would prefer the set with the grain and without the DNR. I can almost guarantee that if you take into account the suggested fans feedback and take the corrective measures, that this set will set out within a few hours 😉.

Thank You
Bryan Jarosh

PS I have purchased all your dragon ball releases so far and am looking forward to this stellar set :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am

I'm not thrilled with this whole 'the set will sell out in a few hours if you make these changes' thing people are claiming. How can you possibly guarantee that? I've seen quite a few people claiming that, and to me, it sort of takes some validity away from us when we say that. Guarantee that it will cement YOUR purchase and the purchase of many others, but please don't guarantee it will sell 3000 sets in a couple hours because that's the type of thing a higher up would look at and laugh at.

Otherwise, sounds good.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm

It's good that people are voicing their concerns and issues with the set to them through these various means, so maybe if it keeps up they'll finally realize their mistake over the DNR and such and ultimately correct the picture quality issues. It's still very early yet but at least there is a way this time unlike past releases for fans to give this kind of feedback as to the specifics so in this case not all hope is lost. We can only cross our fingers and hope for the best that the people in charge of the set see this outpouring and they take the complaints into consideration.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Uh dude it will sell out probably before everyone who wants it will be able to buy it. Let’s not kid ourselves. 😏

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:14 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:03 pm Uh dude it will sell out probably before everyone who wants it will be able to buy it. Let’s not kid ourselves. 😏
"Everyone" uh, yeah, okay.

I'm so gonna regret not pre-ordering Dragon Ball Z: Season Sets – 4:3 AR Edition™ :(

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm

I got behind my computor and sent them this:
Dear Funimation

I'm reaching out to you because I disagree with your current plan for the Dragon Ball Z collector's edition 30th anniversary Blu-Ray set.

I'm one of those "hard core" DBZ fans you're trying to cater to with this release. I've purchased all the Japanese Dragon Boxes, your Dragon Boxes, many of the old singles, and also other various international releases. I'm always in search for something unique, and in better quality.

Your current plan for DBZ is not unique, and not great quality. Why am I saying this? Because, just like the wide screen season blu ray sets, it's got way too much DNR - which destroys details and lines-, and too much sharpening filter. The colors aren't very good either. So, instead of having an authentic look , it looks like a messed up painting with few many details gone. It's so bad I'd rather watch your old VHS releases.

When I first heard about your project I was so happy. I was thinking this would be a continuation of the cancelled level sets, or better. And I was ready to pay much more than what you're asking for this set. After I've seen your trailers, however, I won't give you a dime. Unless you change your mind about this.

I, like many other fans, am more than happy about what your raw video scans look like. Even if I'd prefer you to remaster this frame by frame, I'd be fine buying this set if you decide to release untouched digital HD scans on the 30th anniversary DBZ Blu-Ray collector's edition. Heck, first time I'd do would be to pre order this set. Without hesitation.

I hope you'll take my request into consideration.

Best regards.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:51 am 2895/3000 as of about an hour ago. Just 105 to go. This could be done by the end of the day.
This is bad right? If FUNi get the 3000 well before the deadline they'll think they are in right and won't acknowledge the complaints?