Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 pm

DBfan4life wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 pm
I’ve been looking forward to a nice blu ray release of Dragonball Z since the cancellation of the levels and to see that it’s this, is just disappointing. With that said I really think that emailing funimation is helping. I mean yeah the preorders will be reaching 3000 real soon, but if it wasn’t for all the emails and comments telling them what’s wrong would we have gotten that comparison trailer? I say no. So emailing and leaving comments does make a difference.
I myself will be sending an email too and hopefully they’ll listen and make changes to the set. Better to try and hope for the best than to sit and do nothing.
You guys should include a YouTube link to Ajay’s recent video in your email to FUNimation. That should send the point across, but good lucky changing their mind at this point. Keep trying!
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

pjay
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:12 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by pjay » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Batman TAS looks sharper because they actually kept the 35mm masters. As for the darkness, many who worked on the show have said that it was created on black paper using light colors completely against industry standards.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 am
pjay wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:00 am
Oh I still have my Batman TAS DVD’s. And while they may look closer to the original broadcast they’re terribly encoded (they may even edge out the terrible encoding of the DBZ single dvd’s) and interlaced to hell. I mean I’m almost all for original intent but once I saw those episodes restored from 35mm on DC Universe I was hooked and had to get those Blu Rays. May not have been perfect with the DNR and colors but my god the clarity vs the DVD’s and the TV rips was astounding. We’d be fortunate if this Black Box looked half as good as those.

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm


Mask of the Phantasm did have some out of focus shots that the bluray really highlighted. But here is a shot from the Bluray set. I have it. but I also have my DVDs which are closer to the original broadcast
Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7VbERbDYg
I think the new 30th set looks pretty close to that, there is no grain in those BATS shots and the line art comes out a fair better than FUNi's. I think it's the darkness of the way the shots were composed that hide it (similar to the launch shot in the trailer)
Last edited by pjay on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6692
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm


i didn't send any email, i don't make useless things, if preorder wasn't so close to 3000 i would have done it but why should i do it? i have bad grammar it will go to trash and anyway , they won't change anything, they will reach their goals very soon, so why will they bothered? few times ago some people here were claiming that all things about audios were given to funimation by chris sabat, they didn't listened .

The girl on discord and her team like this jerk and it seems everything was done using their taste.
Why revert to the original with grain?
it's already done since people preorder massively things, it's too late as long as people don't cancel their preorders
Pessimistic much 🤔
No realist, they are a company? what want a company? make money
They already used their taste for the remaster (if we can called this joke like that) it's how they think it should look
why would they change their mind now? they already have almost 3000 preorder of the bad release , so reach their goal yet.
If they change their mind, they will have to start over what they are trying to do (so it have a cost) AND start over the 3000 preorders cause i don't think most of those that have preorder a crappy DNR release will keep preorder if you give them grain
it's only logical sense.
change their mind now is taking a big risk i am sure they won't take it
Funimation never shown any kind of interest toward our taste, why would they change their mind now?
if preorder was at a low number i would have said :"yes , you have the power to make things turn", but now...
It takes five minutes to compose a short e-mail straight to point (at least if you've got decent grasp of english). Those five minutes are worth it.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6155
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Ajay » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm

I appreciate the video shares and support.

I really hope something changes. The fact they felt the need to address the issues in a blog post at least means they're well aware something's up at this point. I hope the continued pressure will make some sort of difference. I'm not holding my breath, but at least I've done everything I can at this point. If they really don't change their approach after all this, then I think that's pretty much the end of the road for ever getting a good release from Funimation, unfortunately.

Side-note: I see Toei's still being Toei with how unbelievably green that Trunks special footage is. :lol: At least it's fixable... unlike this mess of a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

HakkaiBills93
Banned
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:41 pm

sangofe wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm


Pessimistic much 🤔
No realist, they are a company? what want a company? make money
They already used their taste for the remaster (if we can called this joke like that) it's how they think it should look
why would they change their mind now? they already have almost 3000 preorder of the bad release , so reach their goal yet.
If they change their mind, they will have to start over what they are trying to do (so it have a cost) AND start over the 3000 preorders cause i don't think most of those that have preorder a crappy DNR release will keep preorder if you give them grain
it's only logical sense.
change their mind now is taking a big risk i am sure they won't take it
Funimation never shown any kind of interest toward our taste, why would they change their mind now?
if preorder was at a low number i would have said :"yes , you have the power to make things turn", but now...
It takes five minutes to compose a short e-mail straight to point (at least if you've got decent grasp of english). Those five minutes are worth it.
it's done only to help ajay initiative and those who think it will change, i hope to be wrong seriouslybut i keep my word, after learning that it's some staffs members taste that are into this release, i don't think it will change

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm

This is like, SUCH a pipe-dream, but what if our preferred format of the show was presented as an alternate angle? That'd be pretty rad.

Spoilers: won't happen, that would take up too much space on the disc!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm


i didn't send any email, i don't make useless things, if preorder wasn't so close to 3000 i would have done it but why should i do it? i have bad grammar it will go to trash and anyway , they won't change anything, they will reach their goals very soon, so why will they bothered? few times ago some people here were claiming that all things about audios were given to funimation by chris sabat, they didn't listened .

The girl on discord and her team like this jerk and it seems everything was done using their taste.
Why revert to the original with grain?
it's already done since people preorder massively things, it's too late as long as people don't cancel their preorders
Pessimistic much 🤔
No realist, they are a company? what want a company? make money
They already used their taste for the remaster (if we can called this joke like that) it's how they think it should look
why would they change their mind now? they already have almost 3000 preorder of the bad release , so reach their goal yet.
If they change their mind, they will have to start over what they are trying to do (so it have a cost) AND start over the 3000 preorders cause i don't think most of those that have preorder a crappy DNR release will keep preorder if you give them grain
it's only logical sense.
change their mind now is taking a big risk i am sure they won't take it
Funimation never shown any kind of interest toward our taste, why would they change their mind now?
if preorder was at a low number i would have said :"yes , you have the power to make things turn", but now...
I'm sorry but i can barely even parse what it is exactly your saying there, so i take it that English isn't your first language.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm
fuck funimation and their shit, they will never learn anything and with all people that love their shit , they deserve it...for the true hardcore fans, Toei is probably working on their own remaster as TV SP2 is now online on Gyao japan HD
Even though there's DNR in this, it was still applied in a much more tasteful manner and doesn't completely scrub away all the line work and detail like Funimation's DNR process does. The way this looks is more similar to Kai 1.0 than anything else and it looks really good when being compared to the Dragon Box version. All this master needs is some color correction.

I would be very happy with a release of the series that looked like this but I'm not sure if that's possible with Funi's second or third generation masters since they probably have a higher level of grain than the originals Toei has.

If Toei were currently working on remastering the entire series this way, than Funi's new set would be a complete waste of time for everyone involved so I'm going to assume that's not happening right now.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Here is something I am wondering let’s say they change course and go with the raw, is there anyone who still won’t buy it here? If so what would be the reason?
That would be retarded not to. It's what the fans actually want.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:46 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm
retarded
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:00 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm


i didn't send any email, i don't make useless things, if preorder wasn't so close to 3000 i would have done it but why should i do it? i have bad grammar it will go to trash and anyway , they won't change anything, they will reach their goals very soon, so why will they bothered? few times ago some people here were claiming that all things about audios were given to funimation by chris sabat, they didn't listened .

The girl on discord and her team like this jerk and it seems everything was done using their taste.
Why revert to the original with grain?
it's already done since people preorder massively things, it's too late as long as people don't cancel their preorders
Pessimistic much 🤔
No realist, they are a company? what want a company? make money
They already used their taste for the remaster (if we can called this joke like that) it's how they think it should look
why would they change their mind now? they already have almost 3000 preorder of the bad release , so reach their goal yet.
If they change their mind, they will have to start over what they are trying to do (so it have a cost) AND start over the 3000 preorders cause i don't think most of those that have preorder a crappy DNR release will keep preorder if you give them grain
it's only logical sense.
change their mind now is taking a big risk i am sure they won't take it
Funimation never shown any kind of interest toward our taste, why would they change their mind now?
if preorder was at a low number i would have said :"yes , you have the power to make things turn", but now...
You are completely contradicting yourself doing nothing to the film would be the cheaper process. Also if they want to make more money they are likely aware by now the only way they can do all 6k sets is if they remove the dvnr. So...

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:00 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm


Pessimistic much 🤔
No realist, they are a company? what want a company? make money
They already used their taste for the remaster (if we can called this joke like that) it's how they think it should look
why would they change their mind now? they already have almost 3000 preorder of the bad release , so reach their goal yet.
If they change their mind, they will have to start over what they are trying to do (so it have a cost) AND start over the 3000 preorders cause i don't think most of those that have preorder a crappy DNR release will keep preorder if you give them grain
it's only logical sense.
change their mind now is taking a big risk i am sure they won't take it
Funimation never shown any kind of interest toward our taste, why would they change their mind now?
if preorder was at a low number i would have said :"yes , you have the power to make things turn", but now...
You are completely contradicting yourself doing nothing to the film would be the cheaper process. Also if they want to make more money they are likely aware by now the only way they can do all 6k sets is if they remove the dvnr. So...
I’m curious, though, will the other 3k sets include the artbook and figure too, or no? It’s still possible to change their minds, but it would be embarrassing on their part because the trailer is already out there (unless it gets deleted and replaced with something better).
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

HakkaiBills93
Banned
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:07 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:00 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm


Pessimistic much 🤔
No realist, they are a company? what want a company? make money
They already used their taste for the remaster (if we can called this joke like that) it's how they think it should look
why would they change their mind now? they already have almost 3000 preorder of the bad release , so reach their goal yet.
If they change their mind, they will have to start over what they are trying to do (so it have a cost) AND start over the 3000 preorders cause i don't think most of those that have preorder a crappy DNR release will keep preorder if you give them grain
it's only logical sense.
change their mind now is taking a big risk i am sure they won't take it
Funimation never shown any kind of interest toward our taste, why would they change their mind now?
if preorder was at a low number i would have said :"yes , you have the power to make things turn", but now...
You are completely contradicting yourself doing nothing to the film would be the cheaper process. Also if they want to make more money they are likely aware by now the only way they can do all 6k sets is if they remove the dvnr. So...
No, it means throw away all episodes already done and redo all episodes cropping and all kind of cleaning (i mean true cleaning) like removing tapes mark etc , keep in mind that they were already having thoses 291 raw HD scans since the beginning so no scan cost and even with that, they never released the level sets until the end, i don't think the HD scan are already cleaned , it's just raw with all not perfect things
Last edited by HakkaiBills93 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:07 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm
I’m curious, though, will the other 3k sets include the artbook and figure too, or no? It’s still possible to change their minds, but it would be embarrassing on their part because the trailer is already out there (unless it gets deleted and replaced with something better).
Don't think so, the order count will be 3K minimum, 6K maximum. I'd imagine if they get a lot more beyond 6K, they could possibly consider a Dragon Box-style tack where they release the Black Brick discs in Blu-Season style individual releases with no frills (which is honestly what I'd prefer they did in the first place).

DBfan4life
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:09 am
Location: Right here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBfan4life » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Ajay wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm
I appreciate the video shares and support.

I really hope something changes. The fact they felt the need to address the issues in a blog post at least means they're well aware something's up at this point. I hope the continued pressure will make some sort of difference. I'm not holding my breath, but at least I've done everything I can at this point. If they really don't change their approach after all this, then I think that's pretty much the end of the road for ever getting a good release from Funimation, unfortunately.

Side-note: I see Toei's still being Toei with how unbelievably green that Trunks special footage is. :lol: At least it's fixable... unlike this mess of a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray.

Thank you for making a great Video showcasing what’s wrong with the set. Been showing it to others as well so that they too can send emails.

Linked it on the email I sent them too btw AnimeMaakuo

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:11 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Here is something I am wondering let’s say they change course and go with the raw, is there anyone who still won’t buy it here? If so what would be the reason?
That would be retarded not to. It's what the fans actually want.
Sure but I’m sure some people wouldn’t be happy if it doesn’t have the broadcast audio. Or Japanese title cards opening credits next episode previews.

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 pm

You are making the assumption this shitty transfer is already done which I don’t think is the case. I think they only have the saiyan arc complete and they just took the film shots and applied their shitty idea to that post saiyan arc.

HakkaiBills93
Banned
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:17 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 pm
You are making the assumption this shitty transfer is already done which I don’t think is the case. I think they only have the saiyan arc complete and they just took the film shots and applied their shitty idea to that post saiyan arc.
in their blog they said they already have the raw scan film HD for all episodes so the grainy one, they have it
the "remaster" is only a process of this raw film, so yes the cost is not so high but no matter which filter you used or not, all episodes already process have to be redone so it will have a cost.
cause restarting no matter if it is from ep 30-100-184, it will need restart from the raw film, redo cropping, film cleaning etc

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:19 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:17 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 pm
You are making the assumption this shitty transfer is already done which I don’t think is the case. I think they only have the saiyan arc complete and they just took the film shots and applied their shitty idea to that post saiyan arc.
in their blog they said they already have the raw scan film HD for all episodes so the grainy one, they have it
the "remaster" is only a process of this raw film, so yes the cost is not so high but no matter which filter you used or not, all episodes already process have to be redone so it will have a cost.
cause restarting no matter if it is from ep 30-100-184, it will need restart from the raw film, redo cropping, film cleaning etc
Right and we are just saying get rid of those shitty filters as the HD Raw Scan is what we all want. 😉

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jelleline89 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:26 pm

2910/3000.

Less than a hundred reservations to go.

Post Reply