Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:26 pm 2910/3000.

Less than a hundred reservations to go.
Hopefully our voices are still heard.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:30 pm

So just to be clear, these sets haven’t been produced yet right? So there is still a chance to make a difference.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:19 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:17 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 pm You are making the assumption this shitty transfer is already done which I don’t think is the case. I think they only have the saiyan arc complete and they just took the film shots and applied their shitty idea to that post saiyan arc.
in their blog they said they already have the raw scan film HD for all episodes so the grainy one, they have it
the "remaster" is only a process of this raw film, so yes the cost is not so high but no matter which filter you used or not, all episodes already process have to be redone so it will have a cost.
cause restarting no matter if it is from ep 30-100-184, it will need restart from the raw film, redo cropping, film cleaning etc
Right and we are just saying get rid of those shitty filters as the HD Raw Scan is what we all want. 😉
even with slight DNR, for example something like that should please me

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Sorry for the wall.

Well I figured I will finally give my thoughts on this whole fiasco. First things first, those two videos from Ajay are the absolute definition of salt. But rightfully so because we have never gotten a proper release of the series. In my personal opinion the closest I myself have ever gotten to a complete perfect set is my Singles that go from Ginyu Assault all the way to the end of Z.

Looking back on it they are kind of blocky but hey I have the show in some sort of form aside from my orange bricks which are cropped. The new remaster they are showing to me would be fine personally if the black lines weren't being washed away and fading. I personally don't mind the grain being gone but the lines are a concern to me. That being said this will be the first release that goes from beginning to end in 4:3 with Nathan Johnson and Bruce Faulconer (It's obvious it will every single release has aside from DBOXES).

So naturally I am buying this and I know the majority of you don't or won't agree with that but most of these issues aside I don't think it will be that horrible. I will say I am sad to see some of the major cropping going on in some of the screenshots released. However a few pages back I posted an image from my Singles of Gohan compared to the 30th version. It actually ADDS image all four sides. So maybe it will be selective zooming / cropping. I think they said something about keeping everything uniform and not ever episode/scene will have such a far zoom.

I wish it wasn't so zoomed in but I guess it could be damage or who knows why. If it's to try and hide dirt and or those little flashes of white lines or tape marks(Not sure I know the definition of tape marks tbh) I guess I could accept that but I could also accept them zooming back out and leaving the marks and hell the grain.

Another thing I wonder is if this is third generation tape where is the first and second? Does Toei not have them or not want to let FUNimation use them? Wouldn't they want their show to be preserved in the best quality? Are they badly damaged? What?

Prior to this release the only way I have to watch the series the way I truly want to is to watch my UUE(Ultimate Uncut Edition) until it ends and then I used to use my orange bricks until my singles picked up but someone took the Dragon Box footage and muxed in the Faulconer/Johnson tracks so I sailed and got those which I don't really like to do honestly. I have no doubt everything you guys are doing here is going to change the relase of this to hopefully one for the better. But all of that aside I am still buying this because I want to. That doesn't mean I don't care about the series like others have said a few pages back.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm Another thing I wonder is if this is third generation tape where is the first and second? Does Toei not have them or not want to let FUNimation use them? Wouldn't they want their show to be preserved in the best quality? Are they badly damaged? What?
I had this theory for how it's a third generation master that I posted a few pages ago:

First-Gen Master: The one produced straight from the cels and background paintings, the one Toei used for the DBoxes.
Second-Gen Master: A collection of Masters that Toei copies from the previous one that would have been sent out to all the various networks to air on TV in Japan
Third-Gen Master: Toei takes a Second-Gen Master, maybe the one for Fuji TV, and copies that to send to Funimation in the mid-90s.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:07 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm Another thing I wonder is if this is third generation tape where is the first and second? Does Toei not have them or not want to let FUNimation use them? Wouldn't they want their show to be preserved in the best quality? Are they badly damaged? What?
I had this theory for how it's a third generation master that I posted a few pages ago:

First-Gen Master: The one produced straight from the cels and background paintings, the one Toei used for the DBoxes.
Second-Gen Master: A collection of Masters that Toei copies from the previous one that would have been sent out to all the various networks to air on TV in Japan
Third-Gen Master: Toei takes a Second-Gen Master, maybe the one for Fuji TV, and copies that to send to Funimation in the mid-90s.
That's basically what they have, as in digibetas for both DB and Z although they later got third gen film for Z. For GT though they have had since 2003 basically an early version of the masters as was later remastered for the GT Dragon Box.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:23 pm

I won’t be buying this set as much as I’d like to, unless it changes. But if FUNi decides to improve this release the way it ought to be, then I’ll buy it for a higher price on eBay, or wait until someone uploads it to a piracy website. Until then, I’m saving $350 8)
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:40 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:23 pm then I’ll buy it for a higher price on eBay
I think a lot of people are going to be selling off theirs, and given they're only barely scraping by their 3000 minimum, it's clear no one wants these; no one's going to want to buy them second-hand, so expect your absolute maximum to be $350.
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm The new remaster they are showing to me would be fine personally if the black lines weren't being washed away and fading. I personally don't mind the grain being gone but the lines are a concern to me.
Very few people are concerned about the grain being gone; the problem isn't anything close to being simply the lack of grain, it's the side-effects of its removal; chiefly, the crappy, washed out black lines, the below-SD detail, etc. That's what the problem is.
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm but most of these issues aside I don't think it will be that horrible.
Yes, when you put all of the numerous issues that make the set bad aside, it doesn't seem that bad... :P
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm I will say I am sad to see some of the major cropping going on in some of the screenshots released. However a few pages back I posted an image from my Singles of Gohan compared to the 30th version. It actually ADDS image all four sides. So maybe it will be selective zooming / cropping. I think they said something about keeping everything uniform and not ever episode/scene will have such a far zoom.
Really, the cropping was never even remotely its biggest issue. The biggest issue has always been the DNR so strong it reduces it below SD detail, the sharpening that destorys everything not completely smeared out by the DNR, the overcontrasting that bleaches any bright tones to pure white and any dark tones to pure black, and the sheer incompetence of the overall colour grade, shifting skin tones to red, dark skies of Namek to purple...

This set is a mess from top to bottom, man.
First up: Not tape, film. Tape stores data in such a way that it has a specific defined resolution as a number of lines of resolution, 480 for NTSC, 576 for PAL. Film is physical celluloid and can be scanned into HD using a digital film scanner.

As for what happened to the other generations...
Toei has the film negatives for Dragon Ball, that was the original production materials, only ever taken out of cold storage for use in the Dragon Boxes and Kai. Each segment of each episode (part A and part B) is on a separate reel.
From the negatives, a first-gen print was made, which is essentially a kind of master print of each episode (containing the OP, part A, part B, ED, and preview), then there's a second-gen from which all TV prints were struck.
Funimation essentially requested a new set of TV prints be struck and sent to them, which is why they have third-gen prints.
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm Prior to this release the only way I have to watch the series the way I truly want to is to watch my UUE(Ultimate Uncut Edition) until it ends and then I used to use my orange bricks until my singles picked up but someone took the Dragon Box footage and muxed in the Faulconer/Johnson tracks so I sailed and got those which I don't really like to do honestly. I have no doubt everything you guys are doing here is going to change the relase of this to hopefully one for the better. But all of that aside I am still buying this because I want to. That doesn't mean I don't care about the series like others have said a few pages back.
Here's the thing, watching it that way is superior to what you're getting on this release. I'm dead serious. The filtering has simply destroyed the picture detail to a point where even if you don't mind the awful, flat, tinted, smeary, watery look of it, you're getting less picture detail than was on the original DVD singles, or even the Orange Bricks, blurry as they were; so many details are simply destroyed, or smeared to nigh-invisibility that the original DVD singles are superior.

Look at the tiles on the ground in the 30th anniversary edition compared to Ultimate Uncut; notice also the lack of that guy in the hat's eyes, and notice how all subtle shading is completely gone; contrasted and sharpened out to solid blobs.
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 pm That being said this will be the first release that goes from beginning to end in 4:3 with Nathan Johnson and Bruce Faulconer (It's obvious it will every single release has aside from DBOXES).
Congratulations, you've found the one specific set of criteria by which this set isn't a complete and utter atrocity.

It's still just as bad as -- or worse than -- the two Season sets in every way, and your buying of this just tells Funimation to keep doing this crap. And it doesn't matter what you say beyond this about any aspects of this set; any criticisms, any feedback, doesn't matter in the slighest. Once you've preordered your copy, you've voted with your wallet. I feel bad for saying this, but in my experience, people appreciate honesty.

And if I'm totally honest, I'm really tired of so many people preordering these sets even when they agree it has all these awful flaws. You're giving Funi $350 for producing the laziest, most insulting cash-in the Dragon Ball franchise has seen in... Uhh... Okay, a depressingly short amount of time, but still...
With this attitude from fans, Funi has no incentive to do better, so I won't be surprised in the slightest if they don't improve despite our emailing, etc., and we're stuck with these crappy releases forever.

I want to believe they'll find a better nature, and give us what we actually want, but with everyone just rolling over and taking it...
Ugh.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm Here is something I am wondering let’s say they change course and go with the raw, is there anyone who still won’t buy it here? If so what would be the reason?
That would be retarded not to. It's what the fans actually want.
What he means (I assume) is the completely raw footage, including not cropping the rounded corners and what not. Right? I could see why some fans wouldn't want that, I certainly wouldn't. Besides episode 1, the way they've outlined how they are doing the zooming looks good and is very comparable to the Dragon Boxes.

Otherwise, raws in HD would be just dandy.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:26 pm 2910/3000.

Less than a hundred reservations to go.
Hopefully our voices are still heard.
I guess there's still a chance it could stop at 2999.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm

In case anyone is new to this, the three main problems with almost all of Funimation's completed DBZ productions (and a few others) are thus:
  1. 16:9 aspect ratio. The show was produced, composed, animated and framed with 4:3 in mind, so cutting this off removes 25% of what people slaved on back in the day, and is not how the show was intended to be viewed. This is like having the pan-and-scan version of Star Wars be the ONLY version you can buy so it fills your TV.
  2. Digital Noise Reduction, or DNR. This removes the grain to make it look cleaner and more modern, but this comes at the cost of smearing over details in the background art and linework, resulting in a watercolour look.
  3. Colour grading. While this extends to the Dragon Boxes (or rather, a lack-thereof does), with Funi's releases there's often an emphasis on making the blacks be absolute black and the whites absolute white. This messes with the contrast a lot and removes detail, especially in dark background paintings. The actual colour correction itself is often quite off as well, especially the green tones being much darker.
  4. Marketing and Trust. This is a bonus one, but Funimation has NOT endeared trust with their releases. From cancelling the beloved Ultimates and Levels to switch to inferior follow-ups, to fabricating added grain in Orange Brick press releases, to not saying that the US Dragon Boxes were a limited run, to ignoring their 16:9 vs 4:3 poll results, or even the Ocean cast being replaced with imitators way back in the 90s... Funi has done a lot to make users who come to this site feel irrelevant, betrayed, lied to, ignored, and basically made to feel like their opinions on preserving DBZ through home media rather than just making a long-term nostalgia cash-in is dumb.
To expound a bit on the last one, I feel (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the Black Brick is a rare instance of Funi being more open and responsive on an upcoming release, explaining their process in the blog post, and their social media person actually directing us to a place where we can have our voices heard. We need to grasp that with all our might, seize the day and do what we can to potentially change western Dragon Ball history here.
sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 pm I guess there's still a chance it could stop at 2999.
Now for some reason I get a mental picture of VegettoEX somehow managing to secure the 3000th signup but holding it ransom until Funimation meets Ajay's demands (yes I know that wouldn't work, but it's still hilarious).

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm And even in the color correction thread, there is not a general consensus to how the colors should look (Match the broadcast, the cels, whats the right skin tone etc.)
Matching to the cel is the way to go and it's doable. In fact I had worked on it before, matching kai to cel. It had paused for now because I have switched to work on Sailor Moon.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm Here is something I am wondering let’s say they change course and go with the raw, is there anyone who still won’t buy it here? If so what would be the reason?
What he means (I assume) is the completely raw footage, including not cropping the rounded corners and what not. Right? I could see why some fans wouldn't want that, I certainly wouldn't. Besides episode 1, the way they've outlined how they are doing the zooming looks good and is very comparable to the Dragon Boxes.

I mean the Raws HD

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:29 pm
Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm

I mean the Raws HD
So, no zooming? I would take it but I wouldn't be as satisfied as I could be. As long as their post episode 1 zooming is what they're actually going for, then the raws in HD but zoomed would be absolutely perfect.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:46 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm retarded
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
Dude, think about the context than just the word itself.
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:11 pm
Sure but I’m sure some people wouldn’t be happy if it doesn’t have the broadcast audio. Or Japanese title cards opening credits next episode previews.
I mean, yeah no BA kinda sucks but Dragon Ball fans spend an insane amount of time subbing, editing audio files and color correcting so we sorta accepted there won't be a perfect official release. However, the fans fill the gaps there.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm Dude, think about the context than just the word itself.
That doesn't excuse you here, some words are offensive no matter what context you use them in.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:41 pm

A little less than 75 to go will this hit 3k by tomorrow 🤔 2926/3000

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Wonder, how will the content be at least. The artwork and packaging looks pretty cheap and uninspired.
Even with DBZ being marketed as this hardcore series in US in past, it is pretty colourful series, so I would asume that the box that it comes in, doesn't look like something you would put your grandpa's ashes in.

Dragon Boxes looked great :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm

DragonBallKing wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm
Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm
isamu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm

How much can the Dragon Box sets be had for these days? I would be $600 for them
Depends on how long and patience you want to be. If you want it all right now then yeah you'll probably looking around $600-$800 for the whole set. If you're now in a hurry then you can wait for good deals to present themselves. I bought box 7 for $4 at a video game convention then a few months later was able to get box 5 for about $40 off eBay. It certainly takes a lot longer, but you can find them for good prices if you wait and look long enough.
Where can I get the complete set of dragon boxes for 600-800? From what I've seen on ebay and amazon that's the price for a single box set not the whole series.
I mean they are going for around that price when I check around the end of last year. Although now since the announcement, and utter disdain for this new release is being widely spread, seems like the prices are going to be even higher for a long time.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm
DragonBallKing wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm
Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Depends on how long and patience you want to be. If you want it all right now then yeah you'll probably looking around $600-$800 for the whole set. If you're now in a hurry then you can wait for good deals to present themselves. I bought box 7 for $4 at a video game convention then a few months later was able to get box 5 for about $40 off eBay. It certainly takes a lot longer, but you can find them for good prices if you wait and look long enough.
Where can I get the complete set of dragon boxes for 600-800? From what I've seen on ebay and amazon that's the price for a single box set not the whole series.
I mean they are going for around that price when I check around the end of last year. Although now since the announcement, and utter disdain for this new release is being widely spread, seems like the prices are going to be even higher for a long time.
Funny enough i actually recently bought a set of Dragon Box 7 off eBay for $50 which has the discs in a multi disc case minus the box itself or the Dragon Book, yeah sucks i know those are not included but considering the ridiculous prices that complete versions of the set with everything go for that was quite a bargain for sure. Yeah, it would be nice if it were complete but given the circumstances i'm just taking whatever i can get and that was a good deal considering it's one of the often more higher priced of the seven sets. It also puts me one volume closer to owning the entire series in Dragon Box format. :thumbup:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)