Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Son Gara » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Guess it's time to just start collecting the single dvds as at least those are proper 4:3. Luckily they are pretty cheap nowadays.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm Guess it's time to just start collecting the single dvds as at least those are proper 4:3. Luckily they are pretty cheap nowadays.
This new release IS proper 4:3. Everything past episode 1 so far has as much picture as the Dragon Boxes. It's the DNR and saturation that is the issue.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:12 pm
Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm
DragonBallKing wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Where can I get the complete set of dragon boxes for 600-800? From what I've seen on ebay and amazon that's the price for a single box set not the whole series.
I mean they are going for around that price when I check around the end of last year. Although now since the announcement, and utter disdain for this new release is being widely spread, seems like the prices are going to be even higher for a long time.
Funny enough i actually recently bought a set of Dragon Box 7 off eBay for $50 which has the discs in a multi disc case minus the box itself or the Dragon Book, yeah sucks i know those are not included but considering the ridiculous prices that complete versions of the set with everything go fotmthat was a bargain for sure. Yeah, it would be nice if it were complete but given the circumstances i'm just taking whatever i can get and that was a good deal considering it's one of the often higher prices of the seven sets. It also puts me one volume closer to owning the entire series in Dragon Box format. :thumbup:
Yeah I mean if you're just concerned about be able to watch it properly, then just grabbing the discs are fine. You can make your box with scanned labels on it later if you want lol.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 pm
Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm Guess it's time to just start collecting the single dvds as at least those are proper 4:3. Luckily they are pretty cheap nowadays.
This new release IS proper 4:3. Everything past episode 1 so far has as much picture as the Dragon Boxes. It's the DNR and saturation that is the issue.
Sorry did we watch the same trailers?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:20 pm
Did you watch the new trailer or look at the blog post? Or look at the comparisons in this thread? Episode 1 is for some reason mega-zoomed, but everything past episode 1, even episode 3, have the same or more picture than the Dragon Boxes. Have you actually compared yourself?
Last edited by Forte224 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Here, educate yourself:
Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 pm

I’m pretty sure the reason is FUNimation just has a bad print of Episode 1. It’s been mentioned on the podcast many times, and the picture can prove it for itself, but it just seems to be that FUNimation, wether it be the Digi-beta or Film Print, just always seems to get a bad master of Episode 1 from Toei.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:12 pm
Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm
I mean they are going for around that price when I check around the end of last year. Although now since the announcement, and utter disdain for this new release is being widely spread, seems like the prices are going to be even higher for a long time.
Funny enough i actually recently bought a set of Dragon Box 7 off eBay for $50 which has the discs in a multi disc case minus the box itself or the Dragon Book, yeah sucks i know those are not included but considering the ridiculous prices that complete versions of the set with everything go fotmthat was a bargain for sure. Yeah, it would be nice if it were complete but given the circumstances i'm just taking whatever i can get and that was a good deal considering it's one of the often higher prices of the seven sets. It also puts me one volume closer to owning the entire series in Dragon Box format. :thumbup:
Yeah I mean if you're just concerned about be able to watch it properly, then just grabbing the discs are fine. You can make your box with scanned labels on it later if you want lol.
That's what i am thinking of potentially doing later on after i have received them in the mail, i'll probably reproduce the box design or something for a custom version.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Dear Funimation.

I'm sending this message due to concerns over your recent 30th anniversary blu ray set.

I first want to say that I'm happy that you've been very open about about this release, showing footage and comparisons instead of keeping it hidden until it's release.

With that said your remastering (though somewhat better than your other versions) is still very flawed. The DNR completely ruins it all and results in a lot of lost detail. It comes of as looking like a water painting and doesn't satisfy neither me nor the rest of the hardcore fans.

However the raw HD scans that were posted in your blog post looks much surperior. I know that you want to cater to fans who don't like grain in their shows, and I'm sure they do exist, however this release is suppose to be for hardcore fans, and I can assure you that the hardcore side of the dragon ball community would much rather see the raw HD scans than a remastering utterly ruined by DNR.

Best Regards

This is what I wrote, I couldn't fit everything I wanted due to the limit space, but I think I got my opinion across.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:33 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:31 pm Dear Funimation.

I'm sending this message due to concerns over your recent 30th anniversary blu ray set.

I first want to say that I'm happy that you've been very open about about this release, showing footage and comparisons instead of keeping it hidden until it's release.

With that said your remastering (though somewhat better than your other versions) is still very flawed. The DNR completely ruins it all and results in a lot of lost detail. It comes of as looking like a water painting and doesn't satisfy neither me nor the rest of the hardcore fans.

However the raw HD scans that were posted in your blog post looks much surperior. I know that you want to cater to fans who don't like grain in their shows, and I'm sure they do exist, however this release is suppose to be for hardcore fans, and I can assure you that the hardcore side of the dragon ball community would much rather see the raw HD scans than a remastering utterly ruined by DNR.

Best Regards

This is what I wrote, I couldn't fit everything I wanted due to the limit space, but I think I got my opinion across.
Sounds great. Good to see more than just the Kanzenshuu regulars are chiming in too.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 pm
Here, educate yourself:
Thanks maybe do that first next time instead of just getting pissy.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Son Gara wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:41 pm
Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Here, educate yourself:
Thanks maybe do that first next time instead of just getting pissy.
Pissy? Because I said "educate yourself"? Pissiness wasn't the intention, it was a legitimate statement. Anyway, maybe do your research before making sweeping statements next time. There, that's pissy.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Those gorgeous screenshots (the Before ones) can be seen in glorious 1080 by removing the resolution from the link, can't remember who gave this tip originally.

I do wish FUNimation would have shown screenshots of the Majin Boo arc too with the "inferior" quality.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 pm Those gorgeous screenshots (the Before ones) can be seen in glorious 1080 by removing the resolution from the link, can't remember who gave this tip originally.

I do wish FUNimation would have shown screenshots of the Majin Boo arc too with the "inferior" quality.
How did it just now occur to me that we haven't seen any Boo arc pics as of yet? That will be for damage control blog post #2 :D

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:59 pmHow did it just now occur to me that we haven't seen any Boo arc pics as of yet? That will be for damage control blog post #2 :D
FUNimation has the chance of a lifetime to please its hardcore fans by releasing the "Before" footage on Blu-ray as it is, give us as much raw footage as possible and if they want to still profit from the 4:3 AR Season Sets, then release that later.

The TOEI remasters look amazing in high definition but there's a chance it'll (DBZ series) be DNR'd moderately whereas FUNimation could just not do that at all. Still, I shouldn't get hyped up cause FUNi may just do as they want. :-/

P.S. I don't even care about the figure of Goku, just the Blu-rays themselves. :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 pm
Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:59 pmHow did it just now occur to me that we haven't seen any Boo arc pics as of yet? That will be for damage control blog post #2 :D
FUNimation has the chance of a lifetime to please its hardcore fans by releasing the "Before" footage on Blu-ray as it is, give us as much raw footage as possible and if they want to still profit from the 4:3 AR Season Sets, then release that later.

The TOEI remasters look amazing in high definition but there's a chance it'll (DBZ series) be DNR'd moderately whereas FUNimation could just not do that at all. Still, I shouldn't get hyped up cause FUNi may just do as they want. :-/

P.S. I don't even care about the figure of Goku, just the Blu-rays themselves. :D
Funny enough, I do kind of like the Goku figure haha. He's smiling instead of looking serious like 95% of other Goku figures and he's holding a Dragon Ball. Since he's adult Goku I feel like it's a perfect figure for a DBZ celebration.

That said, it's not enough to make me buy the set with the issues it has.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 pm Wonder, how will the content be at least. The artwork and packaging looks pretty cheap and uninspired.
I disagree, it's meant to feel like really expensive chic wine to me and pulls it off fairly well with that "bronze foil accents" look. IMO the packaging is where the set actually succeeds really well.
MCDaveG wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 pm Dragon Boxes looked great :)
Sure if you like NEON YELLOW! :lol: But I appreciate it using original artwork and being otherwise pretty minimalist when compared to the incredibly busy covers of the Bricks, Blu-Seasons and the Japanese movie single DVDs.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Just checked FUNi's 2nd trailer again on YouTube. It has 949 likes and 606 dislikes. So that's nice. YouTube rarely has such a close number on the like/dislike ratio.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:58 pm

I agree. It's just that episode 001 is absurdly cropped but the rest are more or less identical with Dragon Box Z so the real issue at hand is the DNR and Saturation, that is not how Dragon Ball Z (or Dragon Ball, or Dragon Ball GT) is supposed to look like.

I'm kind of surprised that FUNimation never made a fake 16:9 AR version of Dragon Ball series and Dragon Ball GT series but thank god, at least those two shows have a serviceable release.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:59 pm

All episodes weren't released in 4:3 with the singles. It's the "Rock the Dragon" set edits. They never finished the Vegeta vs Goku battle. That's when they released the Orange Bricks instead.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.