Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 am

Spoofer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 am
bigray wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm
But it absolutely kills me when I see things change from the original, mostly when it comes to movie remakes like the lion king (the bloody movie was perfect and ageless but they still decide to remake it).
I mean, you seem to have enjoyed the first remake of Kimba the White Lion well enough. :lol:
And to play further devil's advocate, nobody complained when they remade The Lion King as a stage show in the 90s that's STILL GOING. But this is a conversation for another forum, haha.

To bring it back to Dragon Ball, I wouldn't have liked Kai if it were a remake in 2009 primarily because, as Super has shown, modern anime just isn't capable of bringing out a product of comparable quality to DB/Z's era, and there's the further facet of the music being different too. It would also be quite redundant because DB/Z was notable at the time for practically remaking the manga shot-for-shot, compared to, say, Sailor Moon, which put an entirely different spin on the tone and art direction compared to its manga originator.

I wouldn't mind however a remake now assuming Sumitomo is the animation lead, and that they start from the, well, start.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 am
Spoofer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 am
bigray wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm
But it absolutely kills me when I see things change from the original, mostly when it comes to movie remakes like the lion king (the bloody movie was perfect and ageless but they still decide to remake it).
I mean, you seem to have enjoyed the first remake of Kimba the White Lion well enough. :lol:
And to play further devil's advocate, nobody complained when they remade The Lion King as a stage show in the 90s that's STILL GOING. But this is a conversation for another forum, haha.

To bring it back to Dragon Ball, I wouldn't have liked Kai if it were a remake in 2009 primarily because, as Super has shown, modern anime just isn't capable of bringing out a product of comparable quality to DB/Z's era, and there's the further facet of the music being different too. It would also be quite redundant because DB/Z was notable at the time for practically remaking the manga shot-for-shot, compared to, say, Sailor Moon, which put an entirely different spin on the tone and art direction compared to its manga originator.

I wouldn't mind however a remake now assuming Sumitomo is the animation lead, and that they start from the, well, start.
Dang, Sumitomo sure has a wide range of talents.

For real though, yeah, if Dragon Ball continues to have the same art/animation direction as Super Broli, I'll take a proper remake, from Pilaf to Boo. As long as we get proper subtitles that is...and no green tint...oh man, my excitement for modern Dragon Ball has completely dropped off, hasn't it?

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am
Dang, Sumitomo sure has a wide range of talents.
Dammit, these Japanese names still blend together for me...

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:29 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am
Dang, Sumitomo sure has a wide range of talents.
Dammit, these Japanese names still blend together for me...
It's cool. As long as Toriyama comes back to score and Fukunaga takes care of the storyboarding we should be golden. :mrgreen:

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:31 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:29 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am
Dang, Sumitomo sure has a wide range of talents.
Dammit, these Japanese names still blend together for me...
It's cool. As long as Toriyama comes back to score and Fukunaga takes care of the storyboarding we should be golden. :mrgreen:
And Nozawa on bass! :lol: :clap:

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:31 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:29 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 am

Dammit, these Japanese names still blend together for me...
It's cool. As long as Toriyama comes back to score and Fukunaga takes care of the storyboarding we should be golden. :mrgreen:
And Nozawa on bass! :lol: :clap:
Nozawa's a mezzo whatchu talkin bout? :wink:
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:48 am

So I downloaded the first 30th trailer and a Level Set clip from YouTube at their highest quality possible and in one of them you can still clearly see the grain, on the other you can't.

30th - YouTube Compressed
Level Set - YouTube Compressed

CHA LA HEAD CHA LA looks like it came from the Level Sets but FUNimation removed the grain too.

By the way, I tried to upload the Level Set screenshot to Imgur but the website just kept on retrying as it was too much for it to handle. :lol:

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2310
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 am

Look, the Toei remasters of the Trunks special and the Bardack special seems promising.
It seems crisp, pretty much grain less, without destroying details from what I remember.

If anything's left to be corrected with this kind of Toei remaster, it's the colors I think: they get rid of the red tint, but they seem to go into the green tint (just like with the Boo saga of Kai).

They should apply a correction that gets rid of the exagerated red, but not overdo it to the point of venturing into the green. It can't be that hard, just do whatever you do, and stop the slider after the red is gone but before the green starts to appear!

And then the result will be what everyone probably wants: imperfections gone, but no details destroyed!
Those who don't like grain are happy, those who don't want details destroyed are happy, and if they do learn to not overdo it with the color correction, those who want correct colors are happy too!

So I guess they could go from the way Toei remastered the two specials and improve from there (especially being careful with the color correction).

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:41 am

These screenshots were capped from the Interview with Matt O'Hara on Dragon Ball Z: Season 4 (Blu-ray). Matt sure didn't look like he was too sure of what he was saying.

Season Set - 4:3 AR Edition
Gohan Eyecatch - 4:3 AR Vs. 16:9 AR
Season Set DVD Vs. Season Set Blu-ray

This last screenshot is intended to show us how much better the Season Set Blu-rays are than the Season Set DVDs but to me it just looks like the HD Ver. of the Orange Bricks. And even more so, they try to "modernize" Dragon Ball Z by cropping it but they only end up on making it shittier one way or another. :lol:

How hard is it for FUNimation to grasp that we just want Dragon Ball Z unaltered (raw) and in its correct aspect ratio (4:3). That's it. They wouldn't even need to spend time cleaning, cropping or anything other than making menus and the packaging.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:21 am
Location: USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by G1Ravage » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 am

On top of everything else, we can now also wonder whether Toei will force the subtitles on this set to use the dub names and terms. Just another uncertainty for the 30th anniversary mondo-cool cat loves food edition.

User avatar
Kuwabara
Regular
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 am

Not even the sub scripts are safe now, just shoot me already...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

User avatar
SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: VA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm

How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something. I mean we all say we hardcore but when it comes down to making our voices heard we to soft and quiet like a mouse.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm
How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something. I mean we all say we hardcore but when it comes down to making our voices heard we to soft and quiet like a mouse.
Geekdom is one of those big Dragon Ball YouTubers but he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he doesn't want to get blacklisted by FUNimation or w/e.

But hey, you always have real hardcore fans like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3qs_cQj7M

That kid has a pretty nice chair, I'll give him that. :P

User avatar
DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Tsushima, Aichi
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm
SupremeSSJ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm
How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something. I mean we all say we hardcore but when it comes down to making our voices heard we to soft and quiet like a mouse.
Geekdom is one of those big Dragon Ball YouTubers but he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he doesn't want to get blacklisted by FUNimation or w/e.

But hey, you always have real hardcore fans like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3qs_cQj7M

That kid has a pretty nice chair, I'll give him that. :P
Didn’t Geekdom make a comment at Kamehacon and it made everyone boo? So I guess he’s doing something. Also, has he said anything about the fact that he was wrong about the 30th set? Just curious since he tried to show us clips from Toei’s remaster that was clearly edited.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

User avatar
SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: VA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:11 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm
SupremeSSJ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm
How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something. I mean we all say we hardcore but when it comes down to making our voices heard we to soft and quiet like a mouse.
Geekdom is one of those big Dragon Ball YouTubers but he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he doesn't want to get blacklisted by FUNimation or w/e.

But hey, you always have real hardcore fans like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3qs_cQj7M

That kid has a pretty nice chair, I'll give him that. :P
Thanks for sharing that video, even though the kid is very young and had to be brought up with FunI butchering of the show you can tell he is very passionate about Dragon Ball. Go to show that most fans want this set to be a dream come true.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:08 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm
SupremeSSJ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm
How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something. I mean we all say we hardcore but when it comes down to making our voices heard we to soft and quiet like a mouse.
Geekdom is one of those big Dragon Ball YouTubers but he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he doesn't want to get blacklisted by FUNimation or w/e.

But hey, you always have real hardcore fans like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3qs_cQj7M

That kid has a pretty nice chair, I'll give him that. :P
Didn’t Geekdom make a comment at Kamehacon and it made everyone boo? So I guess he’s doing something. Also, has he said anything about the fact that he was wrong about the 30th set? Just curious since he tried to show us clips from Toei’s remaster that was clearly edited.
Geekdom mentioned the Blu-Rays in a saddened tone & said that he couldn't talk about it (likely not to ruin the mood of the event too much), then said Ajay beat him to the punch with a video that explains everything that's wrong with the set. Ajay tweeted a recording of it himself.
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 9629571073

Obviously, Geekdom has never let his true feelings hide behind any agreements with companies. He's openly disparaged the other releases FUNi has done in several videos talking about the home releases & I doubt he's feeling much better about this set. He's probably been too busy with videos he's had planned to make & KamehaCon. I doubt highly that he's being paid off by FUNi to keep quiet on it. Sure, he's friends with several of their actors & hosting events they're at, but that doesn't signal at all that he's endorsed by them. You can even hear the disappointment in his voice in that clip & the video he made on the announcement of the set. I hope he DOES make a video specifically on what he was told vs what actually happened. There's been a disconnect somewhere & he needs to address it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

bigray
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by bigray » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Spoofer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 am
bigray wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm
But it absolutely kills me when I see things change from the original, mostly when it comes to movie remakes like the lion king (the bloody movie was perfect and ageless but they still decide to remake it).
I mean, you seem to have enjoyed the first (American) remake of Kimba the White Lion well enough. :lol:
What the actual fuck. My childhood was a lie

This is how the kids that grew up with Kai are going to feel

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:39 pm

...
bigray wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm
Spoofer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 am
bigray wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm
But it absolutely kills me when I see things change from the original, mostly when it comes to movie remakes like the lion king (the bloody movie was perfect and ageless but they still decide to remake it).
I mean, you seem to have enjoyed the first (American) remake of Kimba the White Lion well enough. :lol:
What the actual fuck. My childhood was a lie

This is how the kids that grew up with Kai are going to feel
Uhh... not really? For those who speak English or French, Kai is far less of a lie than the respective Z dubs. As for the regions where Z is superior to Kai (the original Japanese, Latino Spanish, and for Brazilian Portuguese at least Kai 2.0), well, reruns are gonna mostly be of Z anyways.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm

So I wonder when they are going to show the final box? I also feel the Goku figure will be colored in the final production.
:think:

I wonder why they are charging after 20x days from now when won't be released until November unless this is a summer/fall release?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm
How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something.
Fact of the matter is that we are very much the minority in this discussion, despite being pro-preservation and pro-accuracy.
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm
So I wonder when they are going to show the final box? I also feel the Goku figure will be colored in the final production.
:think:
Luckily we already know what the coloured version of the statue will look like:

Image

Post Reply