Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

But aren't the Japanese Pokemon names plays on words? I don't mind that since it perserves the spirit of the names and contextualizes it for an English speaking audience. I don't think the same can be said for Dragon Ball's names.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm But aren't the Japanese Pokemon names plays on words? I don't mind that since it perserves the spirit of the names and contextualizes it for an English speaking audience.
For accuracy and purity, I prefer the original versions of shows/movies. Hearing Chaozu on DB/Z and then on the subs it'll say the dub name that's gonna be kinda annoying, even worse is if they go ahead with "Tien" too but considering "Frieza" is accepted, then anything is possible. :|

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 pm

A spelling of "Chaozu" is the romanization of the Japanese approximation of the Chinese pronunciation. That's not anything to cite or bring up in this conversation, and shows a lack of a broader understanding of how this all works.

("Chiaotzu" or "Jiaozi", both of which are pronounced the exact same way and the latter-most being the current transliteration standard, are valid transliterations of the original Chinese pronunciation in our alphabet.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:44 pm

It's a shame, if the remaster for the set were better i'd consider getting it but at this point as i've said as nauseum i am just going to stick with my Dragon Boxes.
I need a count of how many times you've told us you are keeping your Dragon Boxes. :mrgreen:
Gee, i certainly have harped on that point enough in this thread haven't i? :lol:
Lol, I've said it a few times too. But it's still the best home video release of DBZ that's available. It reminds me of the Star Wars Definitive Laserdisc Collection. Who would have thought that in 1993 it would ACTUALLY be the definitive home release? lol

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm

The dub name is pronounced "Chao-tzu" and the Japanese is Chao-zu. It's not really the same, tbh.

Dragon Ball is a Japanese franchise regardless it uses some material from China because if the subs are going to use names other than those being said then it loses its value. We're talking about the series, not the manga.

The Ace Attorney anime series instead of using the Japanese names as used on the show they use the Western ones (those on Nintendo's platform). Admittedly, the Western names are more commonly known but it creates confusion as to who they're talking about.

Sigh. I guess everyone just has to accept Dragon Ball subs are gonna get screwed too, and video footage too with green tint (probably not this release).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:55 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:04 am You may find it "correct" and "appropriate" but changing characters names is almost as bad as making a "better" soundtrack for the show.

It's like someone's name is Mike but he's called Andrew.
I mean, you think the character name changes are bad. Some of them, maybe, but some of them are just different ways of translating the name. Tenshinhan VS Tien Shinhan is one of those I heard that for.

Actually, I had a friend that we called Andrew, which was his middle name, but his first name is Peter.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm The dub name is pronounced "Chao-tzu" and the Japanese is Chao-zu. It's not really the same, tbh.
You're missing the point and do not appear to have a proper understanding of the underlying language telephone game going on.

Chaozu is to Chiaotzu as Shenron is to Shenlong as Ii-Shinron is to Yi Xing Long. In each of these cases, the "best" way to spell their name "in English" is the second variation, and the Japanese language approximation is just that: an approximation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm The dub name is pronounced "Chao-tzu" and the Japanese is Chao-zu. It's not really the same, tbh.
Actually, it's exactly the same. You're talking about the English dub's pronunciation, but earlier you were referring to the subtitles. "Chiaotzu", pronounced accurately, sounds the same as "Chaozu". This shouldn't be a problem in written form.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm
I need a count of how many times you've told us you are keeping your Dragon Boxes. :mrgreen:
Gee, i certainly have harped on that point enough in this thread haven't i? :lol:
Lol, I've said it a few times too. But it's still the best home video release of DBZ that's available. It reminds me of the Star Wars Definitive Laserdisc Collection. Who would have thought that in 1993 it would ACTUALLY be the definitive home release? lol
No question there, the Dragon Boxes are definitely the best and by far the most complete release of the series that has been available here on DVD more so than any of FUNi's other releases albeit with some small flaws. I for one am glad to nearly have almost the entire set minus Box 4, though eventually i'll get it one of these days.

Interesting comparison there with the Star Wars Definitive LD set, considering how at the time it was the best available release in terms of not only the presentation but also it having a lot of really cool extras that the VHS sets (minus the 1992 Letterbox Collector's set) just didn't have for the most part which made it a really awesome release for fans of the original trilogy who were Laserdisc owners at the time.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:23 am But ten is a number.
True. But so? So was Zero, so is Ichi (a nickname for Ichigo in Bleach), et cetera. And Ten, like Ichi, is just a nickname. His name is Tenshinhan, and only one person ever says anything else.

Kuwabara wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:27 am How are these examples anything Ilike Krillin? I agree that Bulla and Bullif would both be ridiculous in place of Bra and Brief, two recognizable English terms. Thankfully no one would have to worry about Tollanks either since Funimation and Steve Simmons both use Trunks. Not sure what all the smarm was for, if anything you could have just said you didn't like it because it's Funimation's romanization and I'd see your point. :yawn:
They point of Kulilin's name is that it has "kuri/kuli" in it. The Japanese word for "chestnut". They all ruin the pun in the same way by misunderstanding the katakanas.
I think maybe you don't realize that Funimation DID change "Bra" to "Bulla"...
I don't see how what I said was in any way meant to charm you, but okay... :0

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 pm For accuracy and purity, I prefer the original versions of shows/movies. Hearing Chaozu on DB/Z and then on the subs it'll say the dub name that's gonna be kinda annoying, even worse is if they go ahead with "Tien" too but considering "Frieza" is accepted, then anything is possible. :|
Writing it Chaozu is like writing Shenlong as Shenron, or Trunks as Torankusu. That being said, "Chaozu" should most certainly have him name spelt Jiaozi. Pinyin has been the official style since 1982. TECHNICALLY it's pronounced JYAO-zih, but to both Japanese speakers and English speakers, it sounds more like CHAO-zu, with a U like in "put".

In Dragon Ball, you've got certain style groups with the names: English-style names (Trunks, Piccolo), Katakana-tized Chinese-style names (Yamcha, Oolong), Japanese-ified Chinese-style names (Son Gokuh, Tenshinhan), and as-authentic-as-the-Japanese-language-allows Chinese-style names (Shenlong, Jiaozi).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:47 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm Wow, that promo art looks disgusting. Why put blueberry Gogeta on it? Even the Dragon Boxes were of higher quality. Did they not learn anything from the gorgeous Dragon Box art? FFS, Toei still can’t take their head out of their ass. It’s even more sad when the Netflix/Amazon stream movies are LIGHT YEARS better looking than the official release on Blu-Ray.
Because Gogeta's in SSB for the majority of his screentime & he's one of the main draws of the movie?
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm I'm glad that Dragon Ball dodged the bullet of characters being completely renamed because Pokémon in Japan uses the original names and in the West are dub terms only. I'd kind of hate if Goku was "Bob" in the West and Vegeta was "Jack" since Pokémon's Satoshi was renamed Ash for the West.

Hey, Bob, have you become a Super Human 2 yet? :lol:
I don't think the 2 are even remotely comparable. The Pokemon anime is based off of the games where Nintendo had already westernized the names of the Pokemon. The anime followed suit, though Ash's name is just a shortening of "Satoshi." Nintendo & the animation studio wanted the dub to have amore Western feel & 4Kids agreed to it. The lack of a lot of Japanese iconography helped because Pokemon takes place in a world unlike the real one. Dragon Ball Z is steeped heavily in Japanese iconography & I think FUNi had to deal with some romanizations Toei gave them (like Bulma, since Toriyama romanized her name himself at the start of the manga), as well as shortenings of the names that were a mouthful (Kuririn for example) in the original Japanese, so they probably didn't see the point. It's certainly a thing that they did better than Saban when they dubbed Digimon, which takes place IN JAPAN ITSELF. So, we were lucky, honestly.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 pmThey point of Kulilin's name is that it has "kuri/kuli" in it. The Japanese word for "chestnut". They all ruin the pun in the same way by misunderstanding the katakanas.
I think maybe you don't realize that Funimation DID change "Bra" to "Bulla"...
I don't see how what I said was in any way meant to charm you, but okay... :0
Look, I'm on your side here. I would rather Kuririn be kept, but I also wouldn't be mad if they went with Krillin since it's just a different romanization instead of a straight up name change like the examples I gave. The examples you gave remind me of a well meaning but fairly young person's understanding of romanization, like a GameFAQs poster saying "Renku" or "Sonikku za Hejjihoggu." I'm also aware of Bra being changed to Bulla in the dubs, I agree that it's dumb. The whole tone of your post came off as know-it-all smarm to me when we're all basically on the same page here. If you didn't actually mean it that way then forget I mentioned it.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm
SupremeSSJ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something.
Fact of the matter is that we are very much the minority in this discussion, despite being pro-preservation and pro-accuracy.
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm So I wonder when they are going to show the final box? I also feel the Goku figure will be colored in the final production.
:think:
Luckily we already know what the coloured version of the statue will look like:

Not necessarily. The non UI Grandista Goku mould has had a lot of colourings:
Incidentally the base Goku's original production image had different colours to the final:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm Look, I'm on your side here. I would rather Kuririn be kept, but I also wouldn't be mad if they went with Krillin since it's just a different romanization instead of a straight up name change like the examples I gave. The examples you gave remind me of a well meaning but fairly young person's understanding of romanization, like a GameFAQs poster saying "Renku" or "Sonikku za Hejjihoggu." I'm also aware of Bra being changed to Bulla in the dubs, I agree that it's dumb. The whole tone of your post came off as know-it-all smarm to me when we're all basically on the same page here. If you didn't actually mean it that way then forget I mentioned it.
They basically are, like you said, a “well meaning but fairly young person's understanding of romanization”. Funimation used them becuz they thot those were the characters’ names thanks to the terrible translations, which I assume were by a Cantonese speaker at Toei’s Hong Kong branch.

They’re about as accurate as those bootleg subtitles from China, or those Asia Versions of videogames. Weird or good-looking, they’re basically mistranslations. Just like “Master Roshi”.

I’m sorry. I wasn’t trying to be know-it-all-y. I was just trying to give exampels for easier understanding of my point.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pm

In regards to using the dub names, I wish it didn't bother me so much but it absolutely does. I don't watch the dub so I shouldn't be subjected to it's changes. They're not making much of a case against piracy here but then again that was the case with the theatrical release as well, because at least I had a subtitled option period! But nah, I'm just gonna have to watch the blu-ray in raw Japanese with no subs.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm Not necessarily. The non UI Grandista Goku mould has had a lot of colourings:
Incidentally the base Goku's original production image had different colours to the final:
Jesus, how'd you find all of those?? I had to scrape just to get the image I had!

The colour change for the bottom examples makes sense actually, the pre-release ones were the Super Saiyan colours, where Goku's gi is a more yellow shade of orange (from the Super Saiyan aura, I guess?).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 pm

It would be nice to have a Goku figure with the gi from EoZ, that is, the blue one or purple-ish.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 pm It would be nice to have a Goku figure with the gi from EoZ, that is, the blue one or purple-ish.

Yeah that's actually his GT gi, though one of adult Goku with it would be pretty cool.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 pm

As a note that's the GT gi, the EoZ colours would be this:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 am

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm But aren't the Japanese Pokemon names plays on words? I don't mind that since it perserves the spirit of the names and contextualizes it for an English speaking audience. I don't think the same can be said for Dragon Ball's names.
Pokémon names, certainly... But the English version of Pokémon does this far more than necessary. Such as changing a few Hawaiian place names in Sun & Moon to... different Hawaiian names ("Lili'i Town" becoming "Iki Town", "Ohana Town" becoming "Paniola Town), changing already English names to different English names (Like, everyone introduced in the third movie had a regular English name. None of them were kept for the dub. Admittedly I can understand them not wanting to have a major character named Me in the English version because that's just a recipe for confusion and/or unintentional comedy, but the fact that they changed "John" makes significantly less sense) and just generally making a whole bunch of terminology changes that seem to be done just for the heck of it.

...Though quite a few "unnecessary" name changes on the Pokémon side of things could easily be considered improvements. Especially in Gen 1. Ghost, Sleep, Thunders, Fire, Thunder and Freezer might be perfectly understandable names for English audiences, but man are they ever uninspired. (For the reference, the previously mentioned Pokémon's English names: Haunter, Hypno, Jolteon, Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno.)