Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:18 pm FUNimation has the NEP clips because they were using them back in the early 2000s when DBZ was airing. I was only 9 or 10 but I specifically remember them being shown.
You're talking about Funimation's "Next time on DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEE!" previews, right? Were those even based on the Japanese NEPs?
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:18 pm FUNimation has the NEP clips because they were using them back in the early 2000s when DBZ was airing. I was only 9 or 10 but I specifically remember them being shown.
You're talking about Funimation's "Next time on DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEE!" previews, right? Were those even based on the Japanese NEPs?
No, I believe that they created their own previews solely for Toonami (and syndication before that), though they may have based some of them on the original preview.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pmDude, we get it, you don't like the Black Brick and the message its success sense Funimation. You don't have to make solo posts to nobody in particular just to state that to us for the 30th time.
Is there anything wrong not liking it? No. They made us think they were going to produce a Level Set-quality release and instead it's something that already exists but in 4:3 AR, as if that makes it any better. You and other fans here might be A-OK with this release which goes to show it reached its goal. Not as hardcore as some fans like to think they are when they'll just accept a shitty release.

TOEI might release DBZ in HD but it'll be moderately DNR'd so that's not too bad, I quite liked the look of TV SP1 and SP2.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Oh I assumed the NEPs were one in the same just one dubbed one not. I want them to include the dubbed ones for this release and the Japanese for the other fans who prefer them.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pmDude, we get it, you don't like the Black Brick and the message its success sense Funimation. You don't have to make solo posts to nobody in particular just to state that to us for the 30th time.
Is there anything wrong not liking it? No. They made us think they were going to produce a Level Set-quality release and instead it's something that already exists but in 4:3 AR, as if that makes it any better. You and other fans here might be A-OK with this release which goes to show it reached its goal. Not as hardcore as some fans like to think they are when they'll just accept a shitty release.

TOEI might release DBZ in HD but it'll be moderately DNR'd so that's not too bad, I quite liked the look of TV SP1 and SP2.
I'm not saying I disagree with you (I agree for the most part), I'm saying it's head-scratching to me why you feel the need to reiterate an opinion we already well know you have.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm
No, I believe that they created their own previews solely for Toonami (and syndication before that), though they may have based some of them on the original preview.
Only episodes 68-106 (54-92) have previews that are directly based on the Japanese NEPs. But other than that, FUNi never dubbed NEPs for 1-67 in the Ultimate Uncuts, and they changed the footage for the NEPs around for the rest of the series.

The Japanese Preview for Fighting Power: One Million compared to The English one

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm Bruce Faulconer confirmed (Not that it was doubted) and Nathan Johnson for the first 67 episodes until Faulconer takes over until EoZ. Support messed up and said Mark Menza but they mean Johnson.

Plus FUNimation says the process used to remaster this series isn't the same as the Level Sets.

The wording here is interesting. They mention different "versions" of the show, and specifically refer to Dub+Kikuchi as the "uncut" version. So what could that mean for the Dub+Faulconer option? Could the original edited Toonami dub be on there? But then that raises the question of episodes 1-67, which only ever aired uncut as far as I'm aware. It's probably just them using strange wording, as the Toonami dub would be a major selling point they would have mentioned already.
This sadly pretty much confirms for me they won't go back on the "remaster" process.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:14 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm People are buying the 30th Anniversary Blu-rays when it's just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR. Thus, FUNimation assumes the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release is a success and that hardcore fans are happy with it.

You lot didn't vote with your wallet so it happened. Plus, those who pre-ordered can't complain because they knew it was a mediocre product from the get-go.
If Funimation thought that fans were happy with how the set looks, would they have gone out of their way to make a second video and a damage control blogpost addressing concerns? They know everyone is pissed off about this. They haven't brought it up on social media since the day the preorder went live.

People are going to order the set anyway because it's Dragon Ball Z. And the quality is still an improvement over every release that's not the Dragon Boxes which is worthwhile to people that don't have those. If given the choice between smeary crap that's cropped and smeary crap that isn't cropped, you'll have to make do.
90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm The wording here is interesting. They mention different "versions" of the show, and specifically refer to Dub+Kikuchi as the "uncut" version. So what could that mean for the Dub+Faulconer option? Could the original edited Toonami dub be on there? But then that raises the question of episodes 1-67, which only ever aired uncut as far as I'm aware. It's probably just them using strange wording, as the Toonami dub would be a major selling point they would have mentioned already.
I'm expecting there to be the same audio tracks that were on the season sets. Though them reverting to the audio from the single discs for episodes 67 onwards would be kind of neat.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:15 pm

MarioSonicU wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Only episodes 68-106 (54-92) have previews that are directly based on the Japanese NEPs. But other than that, FUNi never dubbed NEPs for 1-67 in the Ultimate Uncuts, and they changed the footage for the NEPs around for the rest of the series.

The Japanese Preview for Fighting Power: One Million compared to The English one
Honestly, having the Toonami NEPs would be amazing. I would love for this to be a definitive American release, as that gives us a lot more value here. Like how we got the Rock the Dragon collector's set, I would love for this to evolve into being the definitive American broadcast release.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:16 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm Bruce Faulconer confirmed (Not that it was doubted) and Nathan Johnson for the first 67 episodes until Faulconer takes over until EoZ. Support messed up and said Mark Menza but they mean Johnson.

Plus FUNimation says the process used to remaster this series isn't the same as the Level Sets.

The wording here is interesting. They mention different "versions" of the show, and specifically refer to Dub+Kikuchi as the "uncut" version. So what could that mean for the Dub+Faulconer option? Could the original edited Toonami dub be on there? But then that raises the question of episodes 1-67, which only ever aired uncut as far as I'm aware. It's probably just them using strange wording, as the Toonami dub would be a major selling point they would have mentioned already.
This sadly pretty much confirms for me they won't go back on the "remaster" process.

Ugh....really wish they would. Is there seriously a sect of the fans that likes the heavy DNR? Because that's the only reason I can see them not backing down after this massive backlash.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm

No, there isn't really. Any fan casual enough to not mind the DNR most likely wouldn't mind them just leaving the grain in anyway.

This is ONLY, ONLY because of the sales of the shitty orange bricks and BDs, taken COMPLETELY out of context regarding the other releases of the show and why they sold worse.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm No, there isn't really. Any fan casual enough to not mind the DNR most likely wouldn't mind them just leaving the grain in anyway.

This is ONLY, ONLY because of the sales of the shitty orange bricks and BDs, taken COMPLETELY out of context regarding the other releases of the show and why they sold worse.
Yeah, just picture if FUNimation did the opposite and left the grain in tact. I guarantee you there would not be an uproar like the one that this DNR issue has caused. Their quote on the blog shows just how out of touch they are with why they thought the OBs/Season Blu-rays sold well and why the Level sets failed.
Regarding the image itself, there is some digital video noise reduction to clean up some of the noise, dust and grain from the original film materials, which we felt was mandatory for this release based on the different levels of fan support from various past DBZ releases with different levels of noise reduction over the years.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:14 pmPeople are going to order the set anyway because it's Dragon Ball Z.
The only improvement is that they're using the intended AR otherwise there's no improvement.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm
SqueakyBoots wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:14 pmPeople are going to order the set anyway because it's Dragon Ball Z.
The only improvement is that they're using the intended AR otherwise there's no improvement.
Piccolo isn't radiating as much in the Black Brick shot. That's an improvement. Also, I would say 4:3 is a pretty substantial improvement over 16:9. Not enough for me to buy it, but substantial nonetheless.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm
Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm No, there isn't really. Any fan casual enough to not mind the DNR most likely wouldn't mind them just leaving the grain in anyway.

Yeah, just picture if FUNimation did the opposite and left the grain in tact. I guarantee you there would not be an uproar like the one that this DNR issue has caused. Their quote on the blog shows just how out of touch they are with why they thought the OBs/Season Blu-rays sold well and why the Level sets failed.
Regarding the image itself, there is some digital video noise reduction to clean up some of the noise, dust and grain from the original film materials, which we felt was mandatory for this release based on the different levels of fan support from various past DBZ releases with different levels of noise reduction over the years.
It really makes me wish back when FUNi was producing the Orange Bricks a decade plus ago that they would've just slapped the digibeta video masters from the singles (albeit with some touching up and better encoding) into the sets and never gone with that "brilliant" idea to chop off the 20%-25% of the image to create a fake widescreen presentation the series was never intended to be seen in. I bet had they done that they would they have sold just as well. IMO, the cropping and DNR'ing were pointless decisions that didn't need to be done to make the sets move in sales.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Yeah, but the thing is, when Toei provides FUNimation with their masters for Dragon Ball Z, they got the footage for the Next Episode Previews, but not the audio for them. That’s why they weren’t included on the singles or Orange Bricks. This was stated by (I think) Steve Simmons in an interview on DBZUncensored back in they day. If you ask why not use the audio for the Dragon Boxes they currently have, 1, the audio quality will be different between the maters, and 2, I don’t think Toei would like different things mixed around with the Dragon Box. Also, FUNimation would not have the previews for 1-67 and 291 Dubbed. So unless Toei actually does their own remaster, or we get a Dragon Box Re-Issue. I wouldn’t expect NEPs for Dragon Ball Z anytime soon, in Japanese that is. Dubbed? That would be a whole other matter. Unless they get Sean Schemmel to record 68 NEPs (counting the 291 GT Preview) and also find the Audio Maters for the Episode 68-290 to add a Japanese Track on them, I wouldn’t see it anytime soon, sadly.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 pm

simtek34 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 pm
Yeah, but the thing is, when Toei provides FUNimation with their masters for Dragon Ball Z, they got the footage for the Next Episode Previews, but not the audio for them. That’s why they weren’t included on the singles or Orange Bricks.
This shouldn't have been the case for the OBs onwards; Funi's film should contain the NEPs with audio.
simtek34 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 pm Also, FUNimation would not have the previews for 1-67 and 291 Dubbed.
They may have recorded NEPs for 1-67 for the Ultimate Uncut TV airings... However, I'm unsure of this.
Chances are, this combined with an attitude that the NEPs would have no interest behind them, and general logistical laziness probably lead to them just never bothering to deal with the problem.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm

I don't think the Ultimate Uncut Editions had next episode previews. But the other episodes all did (except for maybe for the two episodes that were combined into one to remove most of the gruesome death of Kulilin). They included them all in their Rock the Dragon Set. It's truly one of the best home video releases I've ever seen. Beats anything put out by Toei by a longshot. The ONLY thing missing was the special recap they put before Episode One on the original DVDs, which probably wasn't aird on TV, thus why it wasn't on the set.

Sure they probably would have to have Dale Kelly voice some of the next episode previews, but inconsistency is fine. On some of the singels, they had no qualms with an episode ending with Kyle Hebert, and then suddenly switching to Kelly for the next episode preview. OR they could just give us Kelly for as many episodes as possible. That'd be the most consistent. And best. :p
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Having the NEPs dubbed would be a treat.....but I think it would be complicated, as I'm not sure the narration would fit length wise.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm

"The only improvement is this improvement."

Yes, that's right.