Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 pm

I can't wait for the next release 5 years from now, where it's cropped to widescreen, and the tweet says "And yes...there's no DNR".

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 pm I can't wait for the next release 5 years from now, where it's cropped to widescreen, and the tweet says "And yes...there's no DNR".
As the years pass, more will be the fans who cherish the Dragon Box Z and the Level Set remasters because it looks like there'll be nothing superior to it.

I mean, there is just look at FUNimation's Z raws but they don't want to release it. Fans on Kanzenshuu even had hopes FUNimation would use the Japanese Broadcast Audio but.. they just do their usual business of disappointing fans. lol

FUNimation might as well just say this on their trailer: "The Z raws look amazing don't they? You're not gonna get that! We'll give you a cleaned up version instead because we know what's best for youuuuuuuu." :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm It seems like there's a myth here that YouTube compresses the grain too much or even in its entirety but that's not true.

This is from YouTube:
Heavily disagree. I've uploaded some PS1 footage to YouTube with the system's original dithering, and unless the camera is standing still, the compression takes the dithering away:

https://youtu.be/AJEFM63oAuM

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm It seems like there's a myth here that YouTube compresses the grain too much or even in its entirety but that's not true.

This is from YouTube:
Heavily disagree. I've uploaded some PS1 footage to YouTube with the system's original dithering, and unless the camera is standing still, the compression takes the dithering away:

I'd have to download the YouTube compressed video myself and see if it's there or not. But anyway, that was some pretty awesome gameplay either way.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 pm

This is from YouTube:

As someone who's recently whipped out all my old PS1 classics, is currently replaying Final Fantasy Tactics, and knows exactly what PS1's dithering looks like, I plainly see it in that video you've uploaded while watching at 1080p, especially while everything is standing still (there are plenty of static shots in anime where the grain might likewise be retained). Agreed that it's far less obvious in motion (though I can still spot it here and there even on this decade-old laptop's small screen), and likely nowhere near as noticeable as it looks prior to compression (and IDK if it's one of those games with only light dithering, or full-blown wall-to-wall dithering like FFT).

Sidenote: Contrary to how I feel with film elements (like DBZ's), after exhausting comparisons on official Sony hardware I personally feel that PS1 games look superior and "as intended" at 480p (PS3 upscaling both introduces and enhances aliasing like you wouldn't believe) and when a light smoothing filter is applied (like the PS3's), as so may of the PS1's (and prior generations') games were designed with dithering and low-res aliased graphics, which the developers anticipated and counted on would blend together and look smooth and seamless on CRTs. Once you readjust to the soft picture, it's truly far more accurate to the original presentation and intended look for the games (games which include both polygonal models and pre-rendered backgrounds look entirely consistent together, for example, whereas upscaled and with smoothing off the models stick out like a sore thumb on what looks like background wallpaper). I always see OG gamers recommend playing OG games on CRTs for them to look their best, but doing the opposite of what everyone with a PS3 thinks would result in a good picture actually provides the best of both worlds, and these games still look amazing on my 4k (granted it's a waste of a 4k TV, but lol).

Taking the same approach and applying smoothing filters to DBZ's already clear and accurate/intended film elements is just dumb, however.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:43 pm

I suppose this is what's going to be on the art book, not entirely but a good chunk of it:

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:43 pm I suppose this is what's going to be on the art book, not entirely but a good chunk of it:
3 pages probably. I think they primarily used that art for the promo because it was something they could easily slap on there for demo purposes. The book looks rather thick from the photo..hopefully its around at least 60 pages. That art is probably the best part of the season blu rays.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 pm They didn't disregard it for arbitrary reasons. The season sets sold better and actions speak louder than words.

My issue with this is that it wasn't widescreen that made the difference in the fans' purchasing decisions, it was the episode count, price point, and timing that made the difference.
Rite? FUNi’s marketing team can’t possibly be stupid enuf to think it was the blurry, cropt footage that made the “season” sets sell so well. It was the first and ONLY way to buy the show in its entirety, uncut, outside Japan. And it’s only competition was FUNi’s old singles, which sold DBZ for $9.50 an episode. So when a new release came out selling DBZ for $1.50 an episode, it didn’t even need the cheap automated “remaster”. Raw film scans slapt onto a DVD would’ve sold just as well.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 pm They didn't disregard it for arbitrary reasons. The season sets sold better and actions speak louder than words.

My issue with this is that it wasn't widescreen that made the difference in the fans' purchasing decisions, it was the episode count, price point, and timing that made the difference.
Rite? FUNi’s marketing team can’t possibly be stupid enuf to think it was the blurry, cropt footage that made the “season” sets sell so well. It was the first and ONLY way to buy the show in its entirety, uncut, outside Japan. And it’s only competition was FUNi’s old singles, which sold DBZ for $9.50 an episode. So when a new release came out selling DBZ for $1.50 an episode, it didn’t even need the cheap automated “remaster”. Raw film scans slapt onto a DVD would’ve sold just as well.
Exactly, the things that sold them despite the garbage video quality and fake widescreen were the price and amount of episodes per set.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Off-topic PS1 stuff below:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 pmExactly, the things that sold them despite the garbage video quality and fake widescreen were the price and amount of episodes per set.
There are fans who weren't happy with the DNR nor the fake AR but it was cheap so they just decided to buy each set as it came out. Doing this just leaves customers without any other option, sorta like beggars can't be choosers. Same goes for the Season Set - 4:3 Edition (30th Anniversary Blu-ray Release) which isn't what they want but it is in 4:3 AR.

FUNimation could learn from Selecta Vision.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 pmExactly, the things that sold them despite the garbage video quality and fake widescreen were the price and amount of episodes per set.
There are fans who weren't happy with the DNR nor the fake AR but it was cheap so they just decided to buy each set as it came out. Doing this just leaves customers without any other option, sorta like beggars can't be choosers. Same goes for the Season Set - 4:3 Edition (30th Anniversary Blu-ray Release) which isn't what they want but it is in 4:3 AR.

That's why i wish when they were producing the Orange Bricks over a decade ago that they'd have just taken the singles' digibeta masters they already had and done some touching up and better encoding, or better yet left the film masters they later received mostly as is just with a few adjustments to deal with the damage on the frames. The DNR'ing and fake widescreen crop IMO are things that were pointless and ultimately needless because the sets would've sold just as well without them.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 pm

That's why i wish when they were producing the Orange Bricks over a decade ago that they'd have just taken the singles' digibeta masters they already had and done some touching up and better encoding, or better yet left the film masters they later received mostly as is just with a few,adjustments to deal with the damage on the frames. The DNR'ing and fake widescreen crop IMO are things that were pointless and ultimately needless because the sets would've sold just as well without them.
Seems like we're still suffering from the consequences of the orange bricks.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 am

This is from YouTube:

But didn't Funimation have a video on their site hosted at elsewhere than YouTube that looks the same?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 am But didn't Funimation have a video on their site hosted at elsewhere than YouTube that looks the same?
I can't visit their pages so I wouldn't know.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:14 am

I ended up canceling my pre-order.
One World. 🌐 🕊

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 am But didn't Funimation have a video on their site hosted at elsewhere than YouTube that looks the same?
I can't visit their pages so I wouldn't know.

Vpns exist as apps in browsers.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am

I can't sift through 100 pages so I'm hoping I can get a paraphrase. I looked at the set last night and it looks amazing from what I can see? The entire DBZ series on Blu Ray in one single set uncropped. What is the issue? I see someone said it's the same quality as the Blu-Ray release from a few years ago which is not awful and certainly an improvement from the Orange Bricks. Where is the controversy coming from?

And is Funimation aware of this supposed backlash and have they addressed it? I hope someone can answer me soon because I'm close to pre-ordering.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am I can't sift through 100 pages so I'm hoping I can get a paraphrase. I looked at the set last night and it looks amazing from what I can see? The entire DBZ series on Blu Ray in one single set uncropped. What is the issue? I see someone said it's the same quality as the Blu-Ray release from a few years ago which is not awful and certainly an improvement from the Orange Bricks. Where is the controversy coming from?

And is Funimation aware of this supposed backlash and have they addressed it? I hope someone can answer me soon because I'm close to pre-ordering.
I hope you reconsider. The DNR on these sets is atrocious. It's 4:3 but that hardly matters since the image quality is horrible. It all looks so flat and the colors are still way too over-saturated. Yes it's a slight improvement over the Blu-Ray season sets but not nearly enough for it to matter. This doesn't even come close to the Level Sets and that's the big issue here.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am I can't sift through 100 pages so I'm hoping I can get a paraphrase. I looked at the set last night and it looks amazing from what I can see? The entire DBZ series on Blu Ray in one single set uncropped. What is the issue? I see someone said it's the same quality as the Blu-Ray release from a few years ago which is not awful and certainly an improvement from the Orange Bricks. Where is the controversy coming from?

Simply put, it's the Dragon Ball Z: Season Sets in 4:3 AR and that's not a good thing because that automated remaster was technically even worse than the "Orange Bricks" were.

Watch the trailer again and pause it, if you need: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrP640wHXg

Here's a comparison made by FUNimation themselves:

Look at the background, the sky, the clouds and the details. And thus, the obvious use of DNR, preferred colors and saturation.