Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks, can you answer the other question if possible too? Is Funimation aware of the backlash and have they addressed it in anyway?

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am Thanks, can you answer the other question if possible too? Is Funimation aware of the backlash and have they addressed it in anyway?
Oh they are aware of it. They seemed to have blacklisted the Level Sets remastering footage video on their channel and they also have released a blog explaining their remastering process, showing Before and After images for comparison but all the Before images from the raw materials look better than the images from the remaster do. The blog does a pretty piss poor job of justifying the decisions they have made with this set.

Here is the link to the blog. Although you need to be in the US to view it, i believe.
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/

Ajay also made two videos about these sets already and basically went into detail as to why nobody should support them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8eAfJjNEw

Follow up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZDHVwpHZo

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am Thanks, can you answer the other question if possible too? Is Funimation aware of the backlash and have they addressed it in anyway?
They addressed the original "zoom in" issue on a blog post. And the only response we got for DNR was "This isn't the same remastering as the Level sets (which were canceled)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:01 am

VDenter wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am
Oh they are aware of it. They seemed to have blacklisted the Level Sets remastering footage video on their channel and they also have released a blog explaining their remastering process, showing Before and After images for comparison but all the Before images from the raw materials look better than the images from the remaster do. The blog does a pretty piss poor job of justifying the decisions they have made with this set.

Here is the link to the blog. Although you need to be in the US to view it, i believe.
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/

Ajay also made two videos about these sets already and basically went into detail as to why nobody should support them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8eAfJjNEw

Follow up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZDHVwpHZo
Sigh.... I definitely had too much hope for this release, because it seems that FUNi just can't get it right even when they have the materials at hand for a decent remaster (a la the Level sets) and yet they settle for doing this cheap automated thing every time which in turn makes the series into an overly smeared mess. As such, this set is a definite pass for me because the Dragon Boxes are definitely good enough for me with their presentation.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am

FUNimation shared their raw screenshots of Dragon Ball Z in pristine condition vs the "clean" version they'll be offering in this release. I'm glad they did at least that because it looks incredible.

If FUNi does another blog post then it needs to have raws of the Majin Boo arc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 am

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am I can't sift through 100 pages so I'm hoping I can get a paraphrase. I looked at the set last night and it looks amazing from what I can see? The entire DBZ series on Blu Ray in one single set uncropped. What is the issue? I see someone said it's the same quality as the Blu-Ray release from a few years ago which is not awful and certainly an improvement from the Orange Bricks. Where is the controversy coming from?

And is Funimation aware of this supposed backlash and have they addressed it? I hope someone can answer me soon because I'm close to pre-ordering.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/04/16/p ... sode-0470/ Listen to the podcast.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 am

Or just watch Ajay's videos about it than a 50min podcast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8eAfJjNEw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZDHVwpHZo

If that still doesn't change your mind, well, enjoy it, I guess.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:40 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 am Or just watch Ajay's videos about it than a 50min podcast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8eAfJjNEw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZDHVwpHZo

If that still doesn't change your mind, well, enjoy it, I guess.
I watched both of them myself, and he definitely laid into just how bad the flaws this set are in terms of the DNR among other issues.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm

I don't think we are going to get an update until the 17 day counter ends. The figure screenshot does say a color image is coming soon soo...I suspect they will provide more details as the weeks and months progress. Maybe they will release another blog post apologizing and letting us know that the remaster will be done better than what has been shown so far. A boy can dream.

I'd like to at least see a couple pages from the artbook that isnt the season blu ray covers, details on page count, what the actual disc storage looks like in those boxes, special features, etc..
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 pm

I doubt they'll improve the remaster at this point. But if they do, they had better do it before the reserves run out or the time runs out.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm I don't think we are going to get an update until the 17 day counter ends. The figure screenshot does say a color image is coming soon soo...I suspect they will provide more details as the weeks and months progress. Maybe they will release another blog post apologizing and letting us know that the remaster will be done better than what has been shown so far. A boy can dream.

I'd like to at least see a couple pages from the artbook that isnt the season blu ray covers, details on page count, what the actual disc storage looks like in those boxes, special features, etc..

funnymation are trash with trash releases that's all that can be said
they didn't even apologize for the green tint of Broly movie, they fail and make succession of fails

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:48 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:45 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm I don't think we are going to get an update until the 17 day counter ends. The figure screenshot does say a color image is coming soon soo...I suspect they will provide more details as the weeks and months progress. Maybe they will release another blog post apologizing and letting us know that the remaster will be done better than what has been shown so far. A boy can dream.

they didn't even apologize for the green tint of Broly movie, they fail and make succession of fails
Isn't that Toei's fault though? I'm not so quick to jump to conclusions like a lot of people seem to be in this thread. I also don't think the hate boner for Funi is really necessary.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm

The green tint is Toei's fault.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 pm

FUNimation screws up a lot but the green tint is TOEI's fault. It was on Dragon Ball Kai 2014, TV SP2 HD and for some reason on Super Broly too.

I don't know what's worse, green tint or dubisms on subs. I'm really, really disappointed.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm

The green tint is Toei's fault.
or not as manga-uk use the same master as funimation and manga_uk ones aren't anyway it's not the matter, even if Toei provide the raw, nothing prevent little correction.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:20 pm

The green tint is definitely Toei’s fault. For whatever unknown reason, they sent out two different versions to FUNimation and Manga UK. Ajay speculated that because the FUNi release is 24fps (theatrical standard) and the Manga UK one is 23.976fps (home video standard), the FUNi release is the theatrical version that was also green for whatever reason, and Manga UK got a different version meant for home video which escaped the tint. Now why Toei gave FUNi and Manga UK two different versions is anyone’s guess.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:30 pm

It seems like someone at Toei really likes green.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:20 pm The green tint is definitely Toei’s fault. For whatever unknown reason, they sent out two different versions to FUNimation and Manga UK. Ajay speculated that because the FUNi release is 24fps (theatrical standard) and the Manga UK one is 23.976fps (home video standard), the FUNi release is the theatrical version that was also green for whatever reason, and Manga UK got a different version meant for home video which escaped the tint. Now why Toei gave FUNi and Manga UK two different versions is anyone’s guess.
Manga-Uk and Funimation versions have the same credits at the end no? i mean Toei NEVER provide Masters with english credits at the end so i think it's not original version of what Toei gave them that have been released on Bluray so why Funimation is green while the manga uk is not is i think from the process, maybe funimation did something that make the movie turn green (like the 1st director's cut of the lord of the rings bluray)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:30 pm It seems like someone at Toei really likes green.
A bit off topic for the thread, but is the green tint a constant? By this I mean, would we easily color correct it like in the DBox Color Correction thread? I don't want to play around with it scene by scene, but if it's a constant green, one filter could be applied to the entire film and you can re-encode it for your computer (or USB stick on most newer TVs). Just thinking out-loud.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm

ect5150 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm
sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:30 pm It seems like someone at Toei really likes green.
A bit off topic for the thread, but is the green tint a constant? By this I mean, would we easily color correct it like in the DBox Color Correction thread? I don't want to play around with it scene by scene, but if it's a constant green, one filter could be applied to the entire film and you can re-encode it for your computer (or USB stick on most newer TVs). Just thinking out-loud.
it's a constant one , not a kind of film degrade like dragon ball, so yes it will be remove easilly but...it's not like if it was a downloaded files, if you buy a things and need to calibrate the video yourself it's just a shame